Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 24, 2014, 07:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658132 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Kanye West Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris [The Rap Thread]  (Read 46105 times)
dieblucasdie

« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »

haha, y'all see the MTV thing where Killer Mike claims to be a member of the NRA and advises black people to stockpile guns and water?

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
shai faithe

« Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2012, 11:10:18 PM »

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/753924/killer-mike-is-very-angry-with-black-leadership.jhtml
holy shit goddamn killer mike is aaawwwesome.
i mean there's a lot that's problematic with that nra bit (supporting the very group that lobbied so heavily to create the law that allowed george zimmerman to create the situation that led to trayvon martin's death...), but fuck if i don't agree with just about EVERYTHING else he said in that interview.
edit: just remembered this too:
It began shortly after the shooting of Denzil Dowell. Easy Bay legislator Don Mulford introduced a bill to repeal the law that permitted citizens to carry loaded weapons in public places so long as the weapons were openly displayed [see link to California Penal Code, Sections 12031 and 171.c]. What the Mulford law sought to achieve was the elimination of the Black Panther Police Patrols, and it had been tagged "the Panther Bill" by the media.
Passage of the Mulford Bill would essentially end the Panther Police Patrols, so the BPP sent a group to Sacramento, California on May 2nd, 1967 to protest. The group carried loaded rifles and shotguns, publicly displayed and entered the State Capitol building to read aloud Executive Mandate Number 1, which was in opposition to the Mulford Bill.
strange that he explicitly distances himself from the panthers, when what it looks like he's trying to do is EXACTLY what they did then...
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2012, 11:25:34 PM by shai faithe » Logged

Antero

« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »

I don't even like Stalley but his new tape is almost all Block Beattaz production.  I'll give it a shot.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
shai faithe

« Reply #28 on: Mar 31, 2012, 10:26:21 PM »

an interesting mmg / slow motion soundz thing happening?

Antero

« Reply #29 on: Apr 01, 2012, 04:03:04 AM »

I'm hoping for Gunplay x Block Beattaz.

shai faithe

« Reply #30 on: Apr 01, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »

g-side x justice league.  Heart Shocked Heart

dieblucasdie

« Reply #31 on: Apr 02, 2012, 10:53:24 PM »

Lana, that's my bitch.

Carpetbaggers of the world, unite!

shai faithe

« Reply #32 on: Apr 03, 2012, 10:37:17 PM »

the new kendrick and dre is amazing.

Antero

« Reply #33 on: Apr 03, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »

It's creepy hearing Kendrick's cadence in Dre's voice.

shai faithe

« Reply #34 on: Apr 04, 2012, 10:09:29 AM »

yeah there's a point where i think they overlap or dre hands it back to kendrick, and for about a bar, you can't really tell who's rapping, which is conceptually awesome, but otherwise sort of bad production.

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #35 on: Apr 04, 2012, 03:27:55 PM »

for the record, my favorite video of american rappers in paris is onyx-money in the sky

actually it's just funny for me.
I found it when I was looking for the other "money in the sky"

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
milly balgeary

« Reply #36 on: Apr 09, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »

Whatcha guys think about Quakers?

Quakers is a hip hop collective of 35+ members: Fuzzface (Geoff Barrow of Portishead), Katalyst (Ashley Anderson), 7STU7 (Stuart Matthews, Portishead studio engineer) and a team of their favorite MCs from around the globe. It's an epic concept album that plays right through without any pauses between tracks. The second disc is the instrumentals. Some of the instrumental tracks appear in Banksy's film, Exit Through The Gift Shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5R4T0yW5_4

I couldn't stop listening to this shit Friday...

Chet

« Reply #37 on: Apr 10, 2012, 06:07:22 AM »

reading a press release or an interview where they were talking about how their wanted to "save" hip hop or some other self congratulatory shit made sure that i will never listen to that shit just on principle.

the presumption that hip hop needs "saving" and that some fucking middle age white dudes are the people to do it made me vom.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
Antero

« Reply #38 on: Apr 10, 2012, 11:56:01 AM »

Yeah... I'm getting those "real hip-hop" vibes...

dieblucasdie

« Reply #39 on: Apr 10, 2012, 12:52:05 PM »

Cool that they found a black kid to rap over some Portishead

dieblucasdie

« Reply #40 on: Apr 10, 2012, 05:17:13 PM »

deeeeeeeeath griiiiiiiips

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/13421-ive-seen-footage/?utm_medium=site&utm_source=latest&utm_name=tracks

milly balgeary

« Reply #41 on: Apr 10, 2012, 07:58:29 PM »

Cool that they found a black kid to rap over some Portishead

OK hip hop authoritarian. My name is diebluecasdie and I make the hip hop rules!...

milly balgeary

« Reply #42 on: Apr 10, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »

I like portishead and rap!... win win for me!

milly balgeary

« Reply #43 on: Apr 10, 2012, 07:59:36 PM »

Please leak deathgrips.

shai faithe

« Reply #44 on: Apr 10, 2012, 10:21:01 PM »

yeah i've found it interesting that, recently, people have begun regarding elemental hip hop in the same way that the subgenre has, for years, been regarding other forms of rap. which, yaknow, sort of defeats a critique hinging on accepting hip hop for what it is...
if you don't like it straight up, then that's no biggie, but to talk inclusivity while probably unintentionally walking a very particular and subtle sort of exclusivity is kinda ignorant maybe? (like how proponents of multi-culturalism can't "tolerate" people who are diametrically opposed to their worldview?)

ps just wanted to add that i'm not trying to come at anyone, only making an observation.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2012, 10:26:39 PM by shai faithe » Logged

Antero

« Reply #45 on: Apr 10, 2012, 10:39:49 PM »

Well, a lot of it has to do with the culture that's sprung up around "real hip-hop."  There's a claim to authenticity that simply isn't justified either historically or aesthetically.  At this point it's sort of like - actually, exactly like - old guys who talk about how great classic rock is and how nobody's making real rock and roll anymore.

And the result, of course, is they make music that apes certain aesthetic elements of the classics* without coming close to their spirit.  It's strictly backwards-looking, and as such it doesn't have any force in the present.

*I will never understand what the throwback boom-bap crowd makes such CLEAN music, though. Have they never heard Tical?

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #46 on: Apr 10, 2012, 10:54:41 PM »

totally agree with antero, and not only is it backwards-looking but it's nostalgically-driven toward a time and aesthetic that i think never existed.

meanwhile, for an example of great, engaged, backwards-looking hip-hop i recommend the i self divine tape from this year.

shai faithe

« Reply #47 on: Apr 10, 2012, 11:03:01 PM »

i don't disagree with any of this. and though our critiques of an artform take into account the culture around that form, i find it a little misguided to mistake a critique of the culture for the form. ie, andrew once told me that i shouldn't dismiss dino rock because i don't like its fans. and that made me feel stupid, because it was a silly prejudice. i had been doing the same thing with regard to southern hip hop for years, and once i stopped, i was able to enjoy the music for what it is to me outside of assumptions about what it's supposed to be / what it is to others. again, i'm not defending elemental hip hop. i could care less about it particularly. i'm just wary of writing things off.

Antero

« Reply #48 on: Apr 10, 2012, 11:28:41 PM »

The thing is, though, it's not like I don't fuck with the relevant canon - it's just that trying to recreate that moment in the present, in a backwards-looking manner, has no appeal to me.  It's just surface signifiers.

Similarly, I don't care much for recent retro-soul throwback bands, despite being an utter devotee of Motown/Northern Soul/Funk.

Zizek said something about this that I read many years ago which has stuck with me.  Let me dig it up.

Antero

« Reply #49 on: Apr 10, 2012, 11:29:56 PM »

Er, on backwards-looking art.  Not on rap.  Zizek hasn't written about rap, to my knowledge.  The Venn diagram of Zizek and rap consists of pretty much social commentary, words, and cocaine.  And also fleeting movie references.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Kanye West Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris [The Rap Thread]
Jump to: