Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 28, 2014, 04:38:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Alison Brie: the new food thread  (Read 43587 times)
nonotyet

« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2012, 10:33:48 AM »

I was hugely disappointed by Trader Joe's, however. It sucked.
ME TOO
why do they tempura all they vegetables
Chet

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2012, 10:53:23 AM »

making chilli.
put a couple of scotch bonnets (seeds and all) in it, plus a couple of red chillis, plus some chilli powder.
i think it might end up having a wee bit of a kick.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
elpollodiablo

« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »

I ate four ganja cookies last night. It was awesome.

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2012, 12:40:07 PM »

My Korzo burger post in MHC reminded me: I had the burger at the Spotted Pig the other day, which has the reputation of being The Best Burger in NYC, according to a lot of people online.

It was okay.  I mean, it was good; I certainly wasn't disappointed.  But I can't for the life of me figure out how it's gotten such amazing press.  It's just a pretty solid burger, served on a kinda-brioche-like bun, with some very tasty rocquefort cheese on it, and some mildly-interesting rosemary-garlic shoestring fries (which are thin enough to be basically potato sticks, and salted a bit too heavily) served on the side.  But given that the burger plus fries is twenty bucks, I can't see myself ever getting this again.

The most interesting part of the whole meal, I thought, were the slivers of garlic that are deep-dried along with the french fries; I'm now kind of curious about incorporating these little slivers -- crisp, thin, and powerful-tasting -- into other dishes.
coldforge

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2012, 02:19:48 PM »

They go great in ramen!

è l'era del terzo mondo.
jess

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »

The Spotted Pig burger is also amazingly salty—I think that's part of what makes people love it so much, but it was a bit overwhelming IMO. If you're going to have an April Bloomfield burger, I think the lamb burger at the Breslin is the better bet.
Greg Nog

« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2012, 02:34:57 PM »

I was reading reviews of it just now where they were talking about the burger being super-salty, but I didn't really notice that.  However, it may have just struck me as less salty compared to the fries.  Also possible: Since I ate most of the fries after the burger, it took a while for my palate to say "THAT'S ENOUGH" whereas as the beginning it was more "WE BEEN SWEATIN ALL MORNING, LET'S REPLENISH"
mixed cats

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »

I can't stop eating popsicles

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
elpollodiablo

« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »

Seriously considering ganja cookies for lunch. All I have to do today is pack.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »

So hey I have this idea to take a basic Cochinita Pibil recipe and make it into sausage instead of a slow-cooked pulled pork. The idea being that those are basically the 2 ways you deal with a tough piece of pork (either slow-cooking it until it's falling apart tender or grinding it into sausage) and so the basic flavors ought to work well with either, I dunno. I think it could be pretty good, I'll make some of those pickled onions to eat with it and probably a habanero sauce, and serve it at a Memorial Day cookout. Probably make another kind of sausage too just in case. But anyway what do you guys think? Personally I think it's going to be goddamn delicious.

I was thinking though that a straight-up habanero hot sauce might be a little thin to put on a sausage so maybe I'll make more of a caramelized pineapple salsa with habanero. Still kind of working this idea around in my mind a bit (though I have the sausage recipe firm, all written out and everything).

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Greg Nog

« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »

I'll make some of those pickled onions to eat with it and probably a habanero sauce, and serve it at a Memorial Day cookout. Probably make another kind of sausage too just in case. But anyway what do you guys think?

I honestly can't see how this could be anything other than spectacular, but I can't imagine this isn't an opinion you don't already know deep in your heart.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2012, 12:44:57 AM »

Thanks man, I think so too! But I think it's going to be a little weird. The sausages are going to be bright goddamn orange! Probably.

I based the sausage recipe off Rick Bayless' Cochinita Pibil recipe but adjusted proportions to work better in the sausage format. I hope. Also Mindy thought a caramelized pineapple salsa was a good idea and already bought the pineapple. This shit is definitely happening, just gotta figure out what to do for a 2nd sausage, something that I can't possibly fuck up in case this thing is dogshit.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Bernard

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2012, 12:46:59 PM »

What are your options? I still remember the merguez corndogs a friend made ages ago. Could you do some kind of funky corndog?

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
clare

« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2012, 07:19:36 PM »

Pineapple salsa will win. As for the other snag...you want pork? Pork and apple sausages are fantastic.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2012, 06:59:22 PM »

I called an audible in the grocery store. The second sausage will be boudin, which I haven't made before. What is life without the possibility of failure? But boudin seems pretty easy to make so at least it's not the likelihood of failure.

cold before sunrise

« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2012, 02:14:13 AM »

They go great in ramen!

there was a ramen pop-up shop outside my favourite bakery recently that i sadly missed because nobody i knew seemed interested. i should have gone alone if only to meet new friends with better taste but the guy throwing it was somebody i denied on okcupid.com - if that's any clue to how much i hate online dating... it's never done anything for me but cause embarrassment and social discomfort.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2012, 04:46:25 PM »

I expected the pibil sausages to be brighter orange than they are. Delicious though, from the bit I griddled to test. Should I smoke them, do you think? I don't know, I think that the smoke might overwhelm some of the flavors. I think poaching them is too wishy washy though. Guess I'll just grill them. Wow this is good.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2012, 07:13:24 PM »

Also it turns out that a grilled pineapple & habanero salsa is pretty fucking hot. "How many habaneros did you put in there?" Mindy asked me. 6. "Why'd you use so many?" Well the recipe* called for 8

* well kind of, I was basically using Rick Bayless' Roasted Habanero Salsa recipe from here and adding a pineapple. Only I used 6 habaneros instead of 8. Still pretty damn fiery.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2012, 02:06:03 AM »

and yeah the sausage was spectacular. The pineapple salsa was really hot but great when used sparingly on the sausage & with the pickled red onions.

alex

« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »

edit: I've removed my original snarky comment about how the university caterers won't allow me to bring my own cake to my reception, because it turns out they actually will.

I can now use this space to talk about the brilliance of aspargus wrapped in smoked ham grilled on a barbecue.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:25:02 PM by alex » Logged
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2012, 02:26:33 PM »

Fun with sausages last weekend

Homemade pibil sausage and boudin for a Memorial Day weekend cookout

Boudin balls on Memorial Day itself

dieblucasdie

« Reply #96 on: Jun 06, 2012, 11:31:02 PM »

Cooks has a recipe for grilled turkey burgers, wherein you defeat the entire purpose of turkey burgers by mixing the raw meat with whole milk ricotta before grilling. So fucking good. Hole live valadated

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Good Intentions

« Reply #97 on: Jun 06, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »

you defeat the entire purpose of turkey burgers by mixing the raw meat with whole milk ricotta before grilling
I don't know how 'mixing delicious things in innovative and effective ways' is defeating the purpose of anything.

Of course, I'm about 5kgs (10lbs) underweight.
jess

« Reply #98 on: Jun 07, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »

I just got gifted 2 weeks of a CSA—veggies and a half dozen eggs—from a grad student I do some stats consulting for. YAY.

(Will do stats for veggies.)
Thermofusion

« Reply #99 on: Jun 07, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »

Guys, what do we make of this? This is important food stuff. Does Taco Bell lose some (or all) of its appeal when it attempts to create products that resemble actual food? Is this a welcome diversification of the Taco Bell menu and, indeed, the Taco Bell brand itself?

The ingredients: Eight new upscale recipes including herb and citrus-marinated white meat chicken and fire-roasted corn salsa. A Venezuelan chef with a "Top Chef" pedigree, whose creations each bear her signature. A "like it or your money back" guarantee.

Sounds like something Chipotle might be behind. Instead, it's the doing of Mexican-style fast-food mega-chain Taco Bell -- a brand that's undergone a recent rebirth.

On July 5, the Irvine-based company is scheduled to roll out its new Cantina Bell menu, which features items such as the Cantina Burrito Bowl, nationwide. The offerings, all with suggested prices under $5, were developed since October 2010 by Lorena Garcia, a chef featured on NBC's "America’s Next Great Restaurant" and slated for Bravo’s upcoming "Top Chef Masters."

It's an "industry-changing partnership," according to Taco Bell, which will offer customers their money back if they're less than wowed. The company, a subsidiary of KFC owner Yum! Brands, is set to begin introducing advertisements for the food as it prepares to launch it in its nearly 5,600 North American restaurants.

Among the new menu options:

Black beans that aren’t refried, flavored with onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder and more
Cilantro rice seasoned with onion, garlic and parsley
Guacamole, cilantro dressing and pico de gallo featuring fresh ingredients

triple paisley minimum
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Alison Brie: the new food thread
Jump to: