Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 28, 2014, 04:38:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 35 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: We did it by playing football; pure, beautiful, inventive football.  (Read 5781 times)
Chet

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »

ahh fucking hell.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
nicoinfurs

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2012, 04:48:58 PM »

Oh WOW, Cech stops a Robben penalty. This is incredible.
Chet

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »

Olic, with the goal at his mercy, and a team mate square, manages to neither pass or shoot. Sort of sums up Bayern's night.

nicoinfurs

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »

DJ DROGBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chet

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »

Ughh ughh ughh.

Couldn't happen to a more horrible bunch of football players outside of Rangers.

nicoinfurs

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2012, 05:52:44 PM »

Cech, Lampard, Terry, Drogba, Paulo Ferreira, Ashley Cole.. and a bunch of other plays have been there for like 7/8 years. Even though Abramovich pumped money in the club, it takes good management to win it. I'm happy for them.
Chet

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »

Personally, seeing a player as morally vacant as John Terry hold club football's greatest prize aloft is pretty galling. A horrendous cheat like Drogba being the hero is close second.

Chelsea have also got to be the smallest, most insignificant club to ever win the European Cup also. A club with no history, a club who would be another mediocre, mid table also ran.

The fact that they won it by not playing football for the majority of the game is just the shitty icing on a shitty cake.

Chet

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2012, 06:02:34 PM »

Also, let's not forget that this is a bunch of players that didn't try a leg and constantly undermined Villa Boas simply because their egos would not allow them to respect him.

Good Intentions

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »

Given he shared a field with Ribéry, calling Drogba a cheat is a bit mean-spirited. He's a class player--given to shameful histrionics, unfortunately, but the best physical forward in the game, and has a lot of spirit. Not a lot of other football players can really be said to have been a genuine force for good in the world, whereas Drogba has played a public and pivotal role in uniting the Ivory Coast during its recent civil strife, especially his leading role in the game in Bouake. I was glad to see him get a bit of joy, after his failure at the African Cup of Nations (in a game like this one, but more dramatic in every way).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:36:32 PM by Good Intentions » Logged
Chet

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »

He's a cheat and it only makes it worse that he has the ability to not have to cheat.

But really, let's concentrate on how Terry is the most awful footballer alive. A racist scumbag and adulterer who has no respect for his fellow professionals, and after letting his team down in the semi-finals he had the audacity to be the first to grab the trophy tonight, and parade around the pitch in full kit like he had actually been playing. You couldn't mark his neck with a blowtorch.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:42:49 PM by Chet » Logged

Thermofusion

« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2012, 07:03:48 PM »

I don't know anything about the men in question but if Chet don't like 'em, I don't like 'em.

triple paisley minimum
Good Intentions

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2012, 07:06:06 PM »

I didn't mention Terry for a reason. But in any case, there is no benefit to being spiteful.
Chet

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »

Eh, what's football without hate figures?

Thermo, John Terry's  crimes include having an affair with his former team mate's ex-girlfriend and getting her pregnant and attempting to get a "super injunction" in the courts to prevent the story being reported; taunting American tourists at Heathrow airport in the aftermath of 9/11, parking his merc in a disabled bay and most recently being accused of racially abusing a fellow professional on the pitch, the evidence in that case being pretty damning.

I hope that goes some way to explaining why everyone in the UK who is not a Chelsea supporter hates him.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:44:55 PM by Chet » Logged

Good Intentions

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »

He also kneed Busquets in the back during the CL semi-final against Barcelona, presumably because he couldn't mark him. That's Joey Barton* levels of a captain losing his shit and costing his team, except Barcelona didn't have the composure at the back or a striker to cross to needed to win that game.

* OK, not quite Barton level. Barton is in his own league for self-destructive, petty, narcissistic outbursts. But Terry's are for higher stakes.
Good Intentions

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »

So, the time difference robbing me of a chance of seeing the play-off final, I did the next best thing and got up really early to watch the Champions League final.

Chelsea did it again, riding their luck and seeing it through in the end. It's somewhat hard to believe that this is the year they win the CL. They were helped a great deal by Bayern's shocking finishing and predictability in attack. This was largely a game about Bayern, with Chelsea hanging on with determination waiting for the Germans to fail, which they duly did.

Bayern have a really high-flying attacking unit, who love running through teams with the pace and skill of Ribéry and Robben, and with Gomez as a spearhead. They've been undone a few times by teams who sit back, defending deep and narrow, and attacking quickly along the flanks. Their German rivals, Dortmund, have had Bayern on toast all season long (winning 5-2 in the German Cup final this week), and Basel also won the first leg of their CL tie this way before being overpowered by the Bayern forwards

Ribéry and Robben are very similar players--both are fast, excellent dribblers, and like cutting inside and shooting to a fault, and neither of them can defend for shit or will try. Both of them are inverted wingers, playing with their strong foot on the inside (rather than along the touchline) which reduces their effectiveness at crossing but increases the danger of them cutting in from the flanks towards the middle where they shoot for goal or, occasionally, lay off for a teammate. This has been a major fashion in football lately, along with false 9s (forwards who drop into midfield from the front to find space and pull defenders out of position, like Messi) and attacking fullbacks (less defenders and more attackers from the deep, like Lahm). But people have figured out how to play against this new style: pack the middle, sit deep, counterattack once the opposition has broken on your bulwarks. Messi couldn't dribble through 5 Chelsea players, nor could Ribéry or Robben. Neither of them were shooting very convincingly, nor had they the space to manoeuvre through two banks of 4 defending deep. Same for Gomez and Müller.

Chelsea were doing nothing going forward, but you could see what the plan was--when the ball broke from the back they did some nice short passing to keep possession for 10 seconds or so, then swinging the ball over to the opposite flank. It was a workable plan, as seen in Kalou's one shot early on, but they didn't get anywhere trying it. Surprisingly, the out-of-position Tymoschuk at centre-back (he's more of a defensive midfielder) was never tested, nor was Boateng who looked distinctly nervous. Lacking Ramires, Chelsea didn't have a dynamo to carry the ball from box to box, and they missed him terribly. Lampard did nothing going forward, and Drogba was either entirely isolated or having to track back to the defensive third. John Obi Mikel had an excellent game, sheparding the defense and dropping back to cover Luiz and (more often) Cahill's forward runs, but that's looking to the rear rather than the front.

Bayern pissed it all away in the end, with shocking finishing (43 shots at goal, only 7 on target) and visible nerves. After slamming their heads in a brick wall for 80 minutes, during which I believe Robben cut inside every single time he had the ball, they finally tried crossing the ball into
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:26:02 AM by Good Intentions » Logged
Good Intentions

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »

A few more things:

Bertrand was a surprise selection, and didn't do badly for himself, but I'm not sure what he was supposed to be doing. Playing a fullback as a wide midfielder isn't usual, especially when you're set up for a counterattacking style. He and Cole doubled up on Robben, who was quiet through the game. But that was overkill--Robben is an immensely predictable attacker, who tries to cut inside every time. Since Chelsea played deep and narrow, Robben's strategy was never going to bring him joy. Perhaps Bertrand was there to help against Lahm as well, who can cannon up the flank. Inverted wingers make for predictable play, but their running to the centre can make space for a rampaging run from a fullback (this is why Dani Alves is so devastatingly effective for Barcelona). If that was why Bertrand was there, maybe it worked, since Lahm had a very quiet game. He never seemed to try and overlap with Robben, though, nor did he do anything after Bertrand left, so I'm skeptical.

If Bertrand was on the other wing, I'd have understood the plan better. Cole is an excellent defender, and I'd have backed him against Robben all day long. But Bosingwa has had a very shaky season, and Ribéry often ran past him like he wasn't there. Also, Ribéry and his fullback Contento had much better interplay than Robben and Lahm, and the left flank is where Bayern got the most joy. Another example of their frustrating intransigence at trying to run through the centre was that they didn't exploit this clear advantage more.

Maybe Bayern felt that they were continually on the point of scoring, and it often seemed that way. But their lack of a change-up, especially after it was clear that Chelsea were set up exactly to counteract their usual plan, shows a lack of foresight, and cost them the cup.
Thermofusion

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »

John Terry sounds like a dick! Really interesting analysis from GI, though I don't understand most of it. Interesting that other German opponents have managed to develop a method of countering Bayern's offense-heavy playing style and yet Bayern persists with an unending attack. Why is that? Is Bayern that inflexible, or are they unskilled at the back end of the pitch, or are they just arrogant?

Also one day I will stop giggling at Schweinsteiger's name.

triple paisley minimum
Good Intentions

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »

Why is that? Is Bayern that inflexible, or are they unskilled at the back end of the pitch, or are they just arrogant?
They're extremely skilled at the back end of the pitch, but today they missed their two best defenders through suspension. Part of it, I think, is arrogance on Ribéry and Robben's part (which is well-documented). The two of them have had tremendous success doing what they do--people are slow to give up strategies which have had good results. For a lesser extent, that goes for the whole team, though there are very smart and thoughtful players in there (Lahm, Kroos and Schweinsteiger). Bayern have for the most part carried everything before them--for the most part, they dominated the game today as well. But most of the time isn't all of the time, and the occasional setbacks have come at very bad times for them. To an extent (and this is funny to say of a team who bounced out Real Madrid), they are flat-track bullies, and better teams have the tools to catch them out. Dortmund are extraordinary on the counter-attack and press beautifully. Chelsea are less good counterattacking (especially without Ramires) and can't press for shit, but Drogba is a target man for the ages, and they have proven to be extremely determined and work together as a team under Di Matteo.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:34:01 PM by Good Intentions » Logged
Nick Ink

« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2012, 04:28:31 AM »

I can't believe you're all talking about that insignificant, tinpot bunch of West London mercenaries and lowlifes when I thought I'd made it clear where the really important football story was yesterday:

edit: I will murk this very soon, but here's a picture of a typical odious Chelsea fan celebrating last night's gutless Pyrrhic victory:

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:31:35 AM by Nick Ink » Logged

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
edison

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2012, 04:50:08 AM »

I like how Obama has a perfectly neutral expression on that one!
alistarr*

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2012, 04:52:36 AM »

That odious man is a Villa fan and a charlatan.
Good Intentions

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2012, 04:54:09 AM »

In my defence, I did start with an apology:
So, the time difference robbing me of a chance of seeing the play-off final, I did the next best thing and got up really early to watch the Champions League final.

Anyway, the real pro has put on an expert analysis, for interested parties: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/05/20/bayern-1-1-chelsea-chelsea-win-it-on-penalties/
Chet

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2012, 05:00:56 AM »

Good analysis, GI, but you failed to really mention perhaps the biggest reason for Bayern failing to win the game: Mario Gomez. Bayern could have been 3 or 4 goals up even before Muller's goal if this impostor had a pair of balls, one chance he missed was a particular sitter. It's funny, because I can't think of anybody who rates him as a top class striker, despite the amount of goals he scores. There's a reason he won't be Germany's first choice striker come the summer, and that's because he offers absolutely nothing if he his not scoring. Taking Muller off for a defender was a strange decision indeed, the fact that it was him and not Gomez was even stranger. If Muller had the chances Gomez had, the trophy would still be in Munich.

I particularly felt for Schweinsteiger. He's an excellent player, and if there was one Bayern player who deserved to not have that happen it was him. He looked genuinely distraught. At least he has the small consolation of going home to this wonderful lady.

Good Intentions

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2012, 05:14:42 AM »

It's funny, because I can't think of anybody who rates him as a top class striker, despite the amount of goals he scores.
We obviously move in very different circles, cause as far as I know he's rated tremendously highly. Then again, I don't really talk footy at the pub, I get it from podcasts and pundits and the games I watch. Gomez isn't the most efficient striker around, but he has very effectively bullied defences for the past couple of years. But the occasion seemed to get to him, as it did a few people (Schweinsteiger, Boateng, Mata). Anyway, he wasn't the only one with wasteful finishing, and Chelsea were excellent at the last ditch tackle: Chelsea blocked over half of the Bayern shots. Over half! That's astonishing, and shows how tightly they packed the centre of the penalty box.
Chet

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2012, 05:22:50 AM »

I post on two different football messageboards, with members numbering in tens of thousands, including a fair few German's who watch him weekly and who don't rate him. I don't think i've ever seen Gomez "bully" defenders. If that was part of his game, he'd be automatic first choice for Germany. As it stands, you won't be see him starting up front at the Euro's, as Germany use one man through the middle up top, and as the aforementioned German fans will tell you, Gomez can't do this because he can't lead the line, hold up the ball and his link up play is poor.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: We did it by playing football; pure, beautiful, inventive football.
Jump to: