Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 18, 2014, 05:41:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658005 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 48 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: It's That Old-School Prestigious Way of Baseball [BASEBALL]  (Read 41552 times)
davy

« Reply #225 on: Jun 27, 2012, 09:44:17 PM »

On the other hand, I sure am enjoying watching Chipper this season.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
El_Josharino

« Reply #226 on: Jun 27, 2012, 09:59:35 PM »

Why is no one particularly concerned that Brian McCann is hitting .234 so far this season?

Mac will come around. He's had some bad luck thanks to teams putting a defensive shift on him pretty consistently. Once he beats the shift a few times, defenses will have to open up and he'll rebound. He's striking out about 4% less then he has the last couple years. His line drive rate is actually up from last year, but in line with his career, which is what most directly translates to hits, and he's on pace to hit around 20 homers, which is also on par with his career. Once he gets some batted balls that aren't right at someone, his numbers will come around.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
El_Josharino

« Reply #227 on: Jun 28, 2012, 10:06:47 AM »

Also, let's just reflect on this catch for a little while:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22644539&c_id=mlb&topic_id=vtp_must_c

Mike Trout is made out of magic.

Thermofusion

« Reply #228 on: Jun 28, 2012, 12:38:53 PM »

Mike Trout is the man. I feel like he hasn't been in the conversation nearly as much as Bryce Harper, but I suppose that's a media east coast bias thing.

Deadspin has a pretty good article up today on the recent trend of converting position prospects to relievers: http://deadspin.com/5921799/converted-position-players-are-baseballs-next-big-thing-or-how-the-as-turned-sean-doolittle-into-a-pitcher

That's a fifth of all current MLB closers who started their careers as position players—59.5 total career wins above replacement from players who initially appeared to have no chance of making the big leagues.

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #229 on: Jun 28, 2012, 05:25:36 PM »

I saw that article. I'm curious about how many guys go the other way. Like Braves SS Andrelton Simmons was drafted as a pitcher and throws 98 pretty consistently, he showed up and was like, "Hey, can I play short?" and they were like, "What, but you throw 98?" and he's like, "Yeah, but you should see me play short." and as it turns out he's really fucking good at short.

That's kind of a completely opposite deal, with most of those dudes converted to pitcher having failed at either their "natural" position or at hitting.

El_Josharino

« Reply #230 on: Jun 28, 2012, 05:27:17 PM »

Also, some more fun with Mike Trout: Last night alone, he was worth .4 WAR. Delmon Young has been worth a total of .8 WAR. In his career.

Up until a week ago, Trout was 2nd or 3rd in the AL in WAR in an amount of at bats that did not qualify him for the batting title. He's now qualified, but only by about 10 ABs.

Thermofusion

« Reply #231 on: Jun 28, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »

Delwyn Young has a -.0.8 career WAR. I love the implications of negative WARs.

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #232 on: Jun 28, 2012, 09:33:26 PM »

So a man named William Aloysius "Bill" Bergen, who played for the Reds and Dodgers from 1901-1911, had the lowest career WAR in history at -14.7. Also he had a .170 career batting average and holds the record for most consecutive at-bats by a position plater without a base hit (45).

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #233 on: Jun 28, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »

Jesus, Bill's brother, Marty Bergen, was a catcher for the Beaneaters in the late 19th century. Marty went crazy and killed his family before taking his own life.

In January 1900, at his home in North Brookfield, Massachusetts, the 28-year-old Bergen ended his life in murder-suicide. Bergen killed his wife and two children with an axe, then used a straight razor to cut his own throat with such force that he nearly beheaded himself. Bergen's father discovered the bodies. According to an article from The New York Times reporting on the tragedy:

The little boy (Bergen's 3-year-old son) was lying on the floor with a large wound in the head. Mrs. Bergen's skull was terribly crushed, having evidently been struck more than one blow by the infuriated husband. The appearance of the little girl (his 6-year-old daughter found on the kitchen floor next to Bergen) also showed that a number of savage blows had been rained upon the top and side of her head. Bergen's throat had been cut with a razor, and the head was nearly severed.

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #234 on: Jun 28, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »

A gruesome ending but, on the plus side, at least Marty Bergen's WAR was better than Delwyn Young's.

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #235 on: Jun 28, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »

Jesu Christo. Turn of the century baseball, man.

davy

« Reply #236 on: Jun 29, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »

then used a straight razor to cut his own throat with such force that he nearly beheaded himself.

dang
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2012, 02:25:12 PM by davy » Logged

El_Josharino

« Reply #237 on: Jun 29, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »

Speaking of turn of the century baseball, it looks like Jamie Moyer has found his way to the Blue Jays.

Thermofusion

« Reply #238 on: Jun 29, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »

Hahaha. Yeah he didn't seem too happy with his very brief stay in Norfolk. He pitched extremely well there, too, but the O's have a bit of a lefty logjam at the moment.

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #239 on: Jun 30, 2012, 11:28:27 AM »

Definition of a fine evening of baseball, even though I missed most of it: 23 combined runs by my two favorite teams plus brilliant R.A. Dickey performance.

Heat index possibly getting to 118 today, which would make it an awesome day to sit inside where it's cool and watch baseball all day EXCEPT FOR THE DAMN FOX SATURDAY AFTERNOON BLACKOUT RULES

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #240 on: Jun 30, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »

Interesting take on realignment from a Royals blog, of all places:

http://www.royalsreview.com/2012/6/28/3125026/houston-youve-got-a-realignment-problem

Crazy: Bucs scored 147 runs in April & May combined, now have 139 in June. Even stranger, they now have a positive run differential, which they didn't even have at this point last year when they were the talk of baseball.

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #241 on: Jun 30, 2012, 12:36:04 PM »

Just saw this: Andrew McCutchen has hit all 15 of his homers since May 8th. The only players with more in that span are Joey Bats (21) and Robinson Cano (16). Which pretty much goes hand in hand with your comment about their scoring in June.

El_Josharino

« Reply #242 on: Jun 30, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »

I was thinking about realignment with regards to geography the other day, actually, completely randomly, and thinking about a similar thing to that guy's 6 divisions. For reasons I can't really explain, I don't like the idea of the Mets/Yankees in the same division or even league, and the Cubs/Chi Sox, and the Giants/A's. I dunno why. I tend to have this knee-jerk traditionalist instinct that kicks in whenever changes to baseball are suggested where I just get all, "NO! NO! IT'S PERFECT THE WAY IT IS EXCEPT GET RID OF THE DH!"

Thermofusion

« Reply #243 on: Jun 30, 2012, 01:06:29 PM »

Yeah I'm a traditionalist when it comes to league structure. Would hate to get rid of the leagues. Hell, it still makes me sad that we don't have separate ump pools for each league anymore. I guess I like his three-division alignment the best, although I'd keep Atlanta in the Eastern alignment to preserve the Mets and Phillies rivalries.

After thinking about it long and hard, I've decided I'd be up for any alignment that put Pittsburgh back in the NL East, or at least a new division consisting of NL East teams. That Phillies/Pirates rivalry would just be too good.

I also sorta like the idea of stripping away divisions altogether and having just a 15 team AL and a 15 team NL. Pare back the regular season by about ten games and give the top six teams in each league playoff berths.

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #244 on: Jun 30, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »

I also sorta like the idea of stripping away divisions altogether and having just a 15 team AL and a 15 team NL. Pare back the regular season by about ten games and give the top six teams in each league playoff berths.

I actually like this quite a bit.

Thermofusion

« Reply #245 on: Jun 30, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »

Hey it looks like I can abuse the A/C and drink beer and watch baseball today after all! The past few times I've tried to watch the Pirates on Saturday, their games were in the national Fox pool for regional games that day, and thus blacked out. Think I'mma grill some shrimp too.

And whoops, duh, the math doesn't work with six teams, so it'd have to be the top five teams in each league, a la the new 10-team playoff system that's in effect this year, with seeds 4 and 5 effectively playing a wildcard series to determine who gets the fourth slot in each league. But, yeah, preserve the leagues, preserve the differences, just get rid of the divisions. Wouldn't solve the travel problem noted by the Royals blogger, but I think he might be overstating it anyhow.

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #246 on: Jun 30, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »

Yeah, I get it that traveling a long way ain't cheap, but this is 2012 and MLB teams have money galore, you can't tell me it takes that much of a toll on players to sit on a cushy charter jet for a few hours. I mean sure, if you play a late game on the west coast and then a day game on the east cost the next day there's a strain, but they're conscious of that when they make the schedules. And it's not like say the Phillies are flying back and forth from the west coast to Philly every week, they schedule a road trip where they go to Arizona, San Diego, Los Angeles right in a row and then go home.

Thermofusion

« Reply #247 on: Jun 30, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »

Yeah, exactly, I feel MLB's already pretty smart w/r/t scheduling. Except for the stupid multiple Opening Days.

Pedro Alvarez with the 2-out full-count grand slam in the top of the 1st. Oh I've happily been eating my words about that dude lately.

triple paisley minimum
davy

« Reply #248 on: Jun 30, 2012, 07:10:54 PM »

Yeah, exactly, I feel MLB's already pretty smart w/r/t scheduling. Except for the stupid multiple Opening Days.

and all that interleague shit. I'm so over it. I could maybe get behind one interleague series per team per year, match-ups chosen by lottery or something.

Thermofusion

« Reply #249 on: Jun 30, 2012, 07:57:45 PM »

I'm down with nixing interleague, but I also kinda like watching plump, aging, inflexible DH guys play corner infield and the hijinks that ensue.

Oh, and speaking of, Jim Thome is an Oriole now :/

triple paisley minimum
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: It's That Old-School Prestigious Way of Baseball [BASEBALL]
Jump to: