Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 22, 2014, 05:57:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657908 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Buying a place.  (Read 2338 times)
clare

« Reply #25 on: Jun 25, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »

Oh yeah, the indigenous people here are totally screwed over in all aspects of their lives. As Justin says, similar to the indigenous US population. See also: refugees.

Bernard, we look forward to your arrival with enthusiasm.    Just don't come by boat :-/

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #26 on: Jun 25, 2012, 09:41:45 AM »

fuck that. move to nz

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #27 on: Jun 25, 2012, 09:43:52 AM »

It's just that through justin's descriptions of AUS it sounds like a beer desert where everything costs 2-3x what it does in the US.

think 'on the road.'
C of heartbreak

« Reply #28 on: Jun 25, 2012, 10:10:34 AM »

Last night I had a dream wherein I was engaged in various acts of high-flying acrobatics. The most terrifying part of the dream was when, after climbing a giant net to get to the top of my house, I found that my roof was collapsing.

B, I would suggest the nicer, more expensive house. I'm about 50/50 on recommending home ownership in the first place--it is a real pain in the ass. Don't buy a house just for the sake of having a house, or because you like the neighborhood. If my house wasn't pretty cool and didn't have lots of things to like about it, I'd be hating myself. (the only other good thing about owning a house is hearing other people complain about their landlords--see thread below)

And don't rule out moving to the antipodes, I guess. Somebody has to find out if it's truly a beer desert.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
justinh

« Reply #29 on: Jun 25, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »

Miles, it IS a beer desert* where everything costs 2-3x what does in the states.  However, there is more to life than that.  Some things are harder to pin down. 

I have probably been complaining too much.  However, as soon as I get back and see my first badly dressed Rush Limbaugh-looking guy in a a hawaiian shirt and jean shorts munching on McDonalds in LAX I will be reminded that, oh yeah, this country can be ridiculous and repelling.  But it does have good burritos and reasonably priced LPs (and much cheaper housing prices).  Most places have quite a few pluses and minuses.

*at least it doesn't have the high general quality and overall selection at awesome prices that I am used to in certain American cities.
Bernard

« Reply #30 on: Jun 25, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »

Interestingly, every person I've asked who already owns a home has recommended getting place B. Offers are in and the early response is good, we are at least in the running. Fingers crossed!

We got place A! Still waiting to hear back on B, which we decided is our first choice. A is still a great, solid choice for us, though. Fingers still crossed!
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2012, 01:45:48 PM by Bernard » Logged

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
jebreject

« Reply #31 on: Jun 26, 2012, 02:05:47 PM »

Awesome!

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #32 on: Jun 27, 2012, 12:32:44 AM »

LPTJ used to talk about hookin up, gettin' wilde.  Now weez talk about buyin' houses makin babies. etx. gettin old fools. you're like my high school friends.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
clare

« Reply #33 on: Jun 27, 2012, 07:01:50 AM »

Interestingly, every person I've asked who already owns a home has recommended getting place B. Offers are in and the early response is good, we are at least in the running. Fingers crossed!

We got place A! Still waiting to hear back on B, which we decided is our first choice. A is still a great, solid choice for us, though. Fingers still crossed!

Cool! I suspect I'd advise 'place B' too, having bought a 'place A' myself, and now regretting it, kind of...

Bernard

« Reply #34 on: Jun 29, 2012, 12:38:03 AM »

Got place B
VERY
VERY
HAPPY

G.C.R

« Reply #35 on: Jun 29, 2012, 12:41:46 AM »

AW hell yes Bernard! Congrats.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Em

« Reply #36 on: Jun 29, 2012, 01:19:42 AM »

Congratulations! That's awesome news!
jebreject

« Reply #37 on: Jun 29, 2012, 03:50:59 AM »

Congrats, B! I am super excited for you and can't wait to see pics of the new house

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
clare

« Reply #38 on: Jun 29, 2012, 07:10:59 AM »

Fabtastic!!! (which is a tyop I'm keeping, and using again :-) That's great news B! What's the plan from here?

jess

« Reply #39 on: Jun 29, 2012, 08:11:26 AM »

Congrats!
Bernard

« Reply #40 on: Jun 29, 2012, 12:40:10 PM »

THANK YOU FRIENDS!

I am beyond excited. Next steps are getting an inspector, picking the type of loan, boring stuff ... and since the current decor was all the rage in probably 1963 when it was put in, IKEA time! Anybody who's ever thought, "when I get my own place, I am going to have XYZ" please share your ideas! My own number one pet peeve is cabinets (as opposed to drawers) below waist level in the kitchen -- I hate having to squat down and peer into the darkness every time I want a pan or something.

Thermofusion

« Reply #41 on: Jun 29, 2012, 02:37:38 PM »

Congrats! Any of that 1963 decor kinda cool, though? I'm a lowly renter so I can't change anything anyway, but this 50s beach pad came with these awesome old school wagon wheel ceiling lamps. Whoever built this place loved him some Have Gun Will Travel.

triple paisley minimum
Bernard

« Reply #42 on: Jun 29, 2012, 06:49:21 PM »

Alas, it was more like vinyl veneer cabinets that have seen 50 years of use, and mouse-colored carpet in every room, accented by drawers repainted so many times they don't even approximately close.

It's 3bd 2ba squeezed out of 1200 sq ft and a 1-yugo garage, so any small space miracle tips are extra welcome.

justinh

« Reply #43 on: Jun 30, 2012, 09:46:22 PM »

I'm not buying, but I do think we found the one true apartment for us to rent in Melbourne.  Top floor of an old art deco building in St Kilda--fireplace, balcony (overlooking Albert Park), study and huge bedroom.  On one of the main strips of St Kilda, but at least a few blocks down from where the hookers, junkies, and drunk people roam the streets when they come out at night.  And about 5 blocks from the beach.  Pretty much perfect--now I just hope that our application in accepted and we get it in before anyone else.  If we get this place I'm never moving until we leave Australia. 
Bernard

« Reply #44 on: Jun 30, 2012, 10:00:33 PM »

Fingers crossed for you to get it.

clare

« Reply #45 on: Jun 30, 2012, 10:48:37 PM »

yeah, it looks like a great spot! good luck on it. I hope the rental market's a bit easier than it is here...

justinh

« Reply #46 on: Jun 30, 2012, 11:00:03 PM »

Thanks!  Personally, I think the Australian real estate market is headed down.  Apartment hunting this year feels much easier than last year.  Last year most inspections had about 30 people at them--this year I've only been to one inspection with lots of people (that terrible possum shit place in North Melbourne). 
mackro

« Reply #47 on: Jul 07, 2012, 06:08:10 PM »

Bernard, congrats!

My partner and I went through the same hell in 2009 when looking for a place to buy in Seattle.  Ironically, it was *because* of the 2008 economic crash that we could afford to buy.  The PNW tech community was barely affected by the recession, unless it was IT in banks.  So all these empty houses in the city became available.  The horrible part were the banks taking their time to preen my perfect credit history to find some one thing as an excuse to refuse me a loan.  It was demoralizing.  It was the most stressful thing I ever did.  But everything is roses now.

i'm not sexiest yet know know
Bernard

« Reply #48 on: Jul 07, 2012, 09:58:45 PM »

So glad to hear it. I'm nervous about taking this whole thing on, happy to hear others have had good outcomes.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Buying a place.
Jump to: