Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 16, 2014, 03:29:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657995 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 65 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: under the apple tree.  (Read 5556 times)
milly balgeary

« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2005, 11:18:43 PM »

how about some spam email for your ipod. i've got a good one here. i mean, GOOD.

cold before sunrise

« Reply #26 on: Mar 20, 2005, 08:47:58 AM »

milly balgeary: throw in a photo of a smaller you wearing that tight little ball uniform and you've got yourself a deal, unless reese pulls together a solid care package in the next week (only with your permission, of course). if dude wants it bad enough are you gonna let him have his way? boss?

bernard: nopers, but that's a stellar book he's done produced. what i've got here is some kind of small booklet/magazine thinger that arrived free with a cheesy punk mix for ordering a 'le tigre' hoodie from karmaloop.com... absolutely does not float my boat but there's a write-up on the new camo kubrick's and i figured this sort of thing might find a more welcome home amongst someone in this crowd.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
SPACERACE

« Reply #27 on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:17:58 AM »

I will fight until I am a bloody mess for this thing, I'm warning you. If you take it, I may have to fly to assface, shoot you, and take it. I need an iPod.

One week, huh? I'll see what I can whip up.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
John
edit0r

« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2005, 06:58:24 PM »

man it really depressed me how a really interesting musical subject turned into...this thread. no offense everybody but jeez.
SPACERACE

« Reply #29 on: Mar 20, 2005, 07:14:29 PM »

I tried to prevent it with the use of e-mail, for what it's worth.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
milly balgeary

« Reply #30 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:24:46 PM »

well, like, in effect, like, then you GO back, from the ipod to the discussion of fiona's unreleased but leaked record, and stuff.
yo, yo, i got me a lil mini, no probs here, jacks.
i just wanted to be like props, yo i got me a little league trophy. want that too reeseboise?

elpollodiablo

« Reply #31 on: Apr 02, 2005, 05:50:01 AM »

John: Given how you feel about digital music filesharing, isn't mentioning this (supposedly) great album which may never even see official release sort of... I dunno, like prodding a hungry bear with a stick? Bad analogy, but I'll take it for granted that you know what I mean.

I've always, inexplicably, liked Apple's work a great deal. I've heard the new single a few times, and thought it was quite good.

think 'on the road.'
John
edit0r

« Reply #32 on: Apr 02, 2005, 11:12:13 AM »

Devil Chicken, you outline exactly why I get so depressed every time I get into a filesharing discussion. My position is not "filesharing bad"! It's rather more complicated than that. As I've said, lots of times, most of my rancor comes from how infantile the discussion gets, and how intellectually dishonest it becomes; people yammering about "evil" record companies & licensing oragnizations when their interest in the whole question has exactly nothing to do with "good" or "evil" and everything to do with placing personal convenience and the absolute, inviolable, fucking disheartening right to consume above all else.

So, for the dozenth time: not only did I not say "filesharing is wrong," I'm on record as noting that it's helped me. I do think it's a lame way to encounter music first when a little patience (usually just a few weeks) would provide the listener with an infinitely richer experience, and as a big believer in first encounters, I'm saddened the idea that people are happy letting their first encounters with my own stuff be shitty datafiles stripped of cover art, liner notes, context in general. I also believe that people who think artists are better off if their audience decides at will whether they feel like paying or not for the artists' work are idealistic, except that they're not: I don't think they actually believe the line they toe; like any ideologically-driven party, they'll cite whichever studies they like, and decry as ideologically motivated the ones that they don't. Anybody disagrees, he's obviously greedy, a record company lackey, clued-out, etc. How can anyone find such thought-inimical debate anything but depressing?

I look forward to explaining this again in the future!

(insert smiley here, I'm not yellin' at yez or nothin')
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #33 on: Apr 02, 2005, 04:32:59 PM »

you should just have this constantly copied so you can just push ctrl-v next time instead of having to re-type it.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #34 on: Apr 02, 2005, 04:38:22 PM »

John, you completely misunderstood. I suppose I wasn't clear enough. You read: 'John, given that you hate filesharing with every inch of your living being...' When what I meant was: 'John, given your ambivalence of feeling as regards filesharing...' I'm well aware of your position, liebchen; I've been reading LPTJ for a while now. So, apologies for the confusion.
Now that we're on the same page, I'll rephrase my question: Do you think it appropriate [let's dispense with the puerility of 'right' or 'wrong'] to download Apple's new album in this situation? You say it's excellent, and I'm interested in hearing it. However, since it may never see the light of day, I've got little recourse when it comes to obtaining it, right? Soulseek may well be the only avenue available to me. Not that I'm looking for validation, or anything, I'm just interested in hearing your opinion.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #35 on: Apr 02, 2005, 04:40:14 PM »

And I know this is a rather touchy subject for you, but I'm still at a loss as to how you took what I said to mean you were anti-filesharing.

think 'on the road.'
methuselize

« Reply #36 on: Apr 03, 2005, 12:30:22 AM »

george orwell is smiling down on us  Smile
crystalcakes

« Reply #37 on: Apr 21, 2005, 12:10:04 AM »

Quote from: "John"
Devil Chicken, you outline exactly why I get so depressed every time I get into a filesharing discussion. My position is not "filesharing bad"! It's rather more complicated than that. As I've said, lots of times, most of my rancor comes from how infantile the discussion gets, and how intellectually dishonest it becomes; people yammering about "evil" record companies & licensing oragnizations when their interest in the whole question has exactly nothing to do with "good" or "evil" and everything to do with placing personal convenience and the absolute, inviolable, fucking disheartening right to consume above all else.

So, for the dozenth time: not only did I not say "filesharing is wrong," I'm on record as noting that it's helped me. I do think it's a lame way to encounter music first when a little patience (usually just a few weeks) would provide the listener with an infinitely richer experience, and as a big believer in first encounters, I'm saddened the idea that people are happy letting their first encounters with my own stuff be shitty datafiles stripped of cover art, liner notes, context in general. I also believe that people who think artists are better off if their audience decides at will whether they feel like paying or not for the artists' work are idealistic, except that they're not: I don't think they actually believe the line they toe; like any ideologically-driven party, they'll cite whichever studies they like, and decry as ideologically motivated the ones that they don't. Anybody disagrees, he's obviously greedy, a record company lackey, clued-out, etc. How can anyone find such thought-inimical debate anything but depressing?

I look forward to explaining this again in the future!

(insert smiley here, I'm not yellin' at yez or nothin')

so, what you're saying is that you think file sharing is bad, lars?  

KIDDING!  (don't yell at me, please)

i think the thing about digital music is that it is hard for old folks (us) to understand.  i remember when cds came out and people talking about how they would be obsolete within a few years and people still talk about how inferior they still are to vinyl, blah blah blah.  when digital film came out it had the same reaction.  

i think it's just about kids that are growing up today probably never played a cassette or a record but started out getting lots of mp3s emailed to them or downloaded from napster or itunes or whatever.  it may not be the same as our first experiences with music (which were awesome and full of sense memories) but these people only know this so it is awesome to them.

i don't really understand it.  i am just playing devil's advocate.  

since i do a lot of work for teens and tweens i find that i have to be more open minded to the changing shapes of things than i used to be.  i was far more crochety at 16 than i am today.  

i'm not calling anyone here crotchety.  at least, not in a bad way.

Quote from: "John"
life is now worthless and I am going to eat cat food & die
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: under the apple tree.
Jump to: