Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 05:28:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658134 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "There's probably a [simple] way to reinvent time...&qu  (Read 1459 times)
elpollodiablo

« on: Apr 26, 2005, 07:06:03 PM »

This is why I still love America. Indiana's fuckin cray-zay. No offense, Mr. D.

In Indiana it's a matter of Time
By Dennis Cauchon, USA TODAY
SANTA CLAUS, Ind. ,Aei Ask why this town has a funny name, and you get a simple answer: Settlers picked it on Christmas Eve in 1842.

Ask what time it is, and you're looking for trouble, because that's one thing Santa Claus can't agree on.

The grocery store operates on Central Time ,Aei,Aei or "slow time," as locals call it. The hardware store next door runs on Eastern Time ,Aei,Aei or "fast time." The doctor, newspaper and nearby monastery are on fast time. The schools, churches and post office are on slow time. The American Legion hall has two clocks as a compromise.

"We're always late or early, but we're never on time," says Tom Shelton, who runs an excavating company in Santa Claus, a town of about 2,000.

This week, for the first time in 22 years, the Legislature will seriously consider simplifying how time is told in Indiana when it votes on whether to adopt Eastern Daylight Time for 77 of Indiana's 92 counties. The Senate votes today and, if the measure is approved, the House later in the week.

Indiana is one of only three states, along with Arizona and Hawaii, that do not push all clocks ahead one hour for daylight-saving time on the first Sunday in April. (That's not counting, of course, the 15 Indiana counties that do spring forward: 10 to Central Daylight Time and five to Eastern Daylight Time.)

Indiana is a patchwork of counties observing Central or Eastern Time and Daylight or Standard Time. At the moment, Indiana operates under three times ,Aei,Aei Central Daylight, Eastern Standard and Eastern Daylight. How the clocks are set depends on local custom, location and the season. Even then, people don't always agree.

The Legislature has avoided the issue for fear of unleashing Hoosier passions. But new Gov. Mitch Daniels and new legislative leaders decided to tackle the issue in an effort to boost the state's economy.

"This is the hot button of all hot-button issues in Indiana. It is abortion, guns and gay marriage all rolled together," says state Rep. Dave Crooks, a Democrat leading the opposition to Eastern Daylight Time. Last week, Crooks was booted off a committee working on the issue because of his Central Time Zone sympathies.

Confusion on the clock

Daniels, a Republican, and business leaders want to adopt daylight-saving time throughout the state. They say it's crazy to be out of step with the nation, especially when Congress is considering expanding daylight-saving time from seven months to nine months a year.

"It's confusing, creates massive incidents of productivity loss and forces the whole world to figure out: What time is it in Indiana?" says Kevin Brinegar, president of the Indiana Chamber of Commerce.

Missed conference calls. Missed flights. Messed-up computers. These are common occurrences for Indiana business because of the failure to adopt daylight-saving time, supporters of the change say.

"It drives us crazy," says Steve Russell, chairman of Celadon, a large trucking company based in Indianapolis. "It sends FedEx, UPS and the railroads up a wall. Indianapolis is not a hub airport because of it."

But nothing about time is simple in Indiana.

Many oppose a change on principle. "Hoosiers are stubborn," says Kathy Tretter, publisher of the Spencer County Leader, a weekly newspaper that circulates in Santa Claus.

But the biggest problem is that Hoosiers are divided over whether to be in the Eastern or Central Time Zone.

By ignoring daylight-saving time, the state has lived a compromise for 40 years: During the winter, most of Indiana is on the same time as New York; during the summer, most of the state is on the same time as Chicago. Fifteen breakaway counties do their own thing, synchronizing clocks with the nearby cities of Chicago, Louisville or Cincinnati.

Central Timers believe the effort to move to Eastern Daylight is a time grab by Eastern Time advocates. Central Time advocates want the state to pick a time zone first, then consider daylight-saving time.

But the governor and business leaders want to adopt Eastern Daylight Time first, which would synchronize the state with the East Coast year-round, and later consider what time zone is best for Indiana.

The Legislature has control of daylight-saving time. The U.S. Transportation Department determines time zones.

A hard time

Everyone agrees on one thing: It's hard to know what time it is in Indiana.

Hoosiers have developed their own way to talk about time that avoids messy issues like time zones. When talking to someone from out of state, a Hoosier gives "Indiana time" ,Aei,Aei the time that person is observing, even if it's different from elsewhere in the state. When talking with someone in the state, a Hoosier will specify fast or slow time: A movie at 7 p.m. fast time is the same as a movie at 6 slow time, for example.

Tracy Caddell, the school superintendent in Switzerland County, east of Santa Claus, has his kitchen clock on slow time and his living room clock on fast time. His school system is on slow time (Eastern Standard), but neighboring Ohio County and nearby Cincinnati are on fast time (Eastern Daylight). "The optometrist is on fast time. The dentist is on slow time. Granny's restaurant is on fast time. The post office is on slow time," he says.

Wedding invitations and funeral notices specify fast time or slow time. Married couples set clocks to different times on opposite sides of the bed.

If the Indiana Legislature adopts daylight-saving time, it's unclear that it would be followed everywhere. The five Indiana counties near Louisville and Cincinnati that observe Eastern Daylight Time do so illegally, according to The Indianapolis Star. They are supposed to stay on Eastern Standard.

Another strange thing: Fast and slow time vary, even if the clock doesn't change. Sometimes fast and slow time are the same. Sometimes they are different. And sometimes fast time is actually slow time.

Elusive agreement

On April 3, Indiana's 10 slow-time (Central) counties went on daylight-saving time and suddenly were on the same time as Indiana's 77 Eastern Standard counties. "For some people, the day the clocks change is almost like Christmas," says Mike Shriefer, transportation director at the Spencer County schools.

That same day, though, the five Eastern Daylight counties moved ahead an hour and went out of sync with the state.

It's even more complicated.

Tretter operates two newspapers 7 miles apart: the Spencer County Leader in slow-time Santa Claus and the Ferdinand News in a fast-time community. Two years ago, both newspapers adopted fast time to simplify business operations. But the printer operates in Eastern Daylight Time, so Tretter's newspapers are simultaneously on fast and slow time.

"There's probably a way to reinvent time that's simple, but we haven't thought of it yet," she says.

USA Today, 4/26/05.

(For those of you who aren't regular USA Today readers, this is typical of their hard-hitting, in-depth coverage of essential national issues.)

Craziness, though. I knew Indiana's time zones were in disputation, but I had no idea it was like that.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2005, 07:25:58 PM »

Yeah, I lived in South Bend for four years, and came to Chicago a lot on the weekends.  Half the year, they're on the same time, the other half, South Bend is on the same time as New York.  Insane.  It made figuring out when I had to catch the train an absolute bitch.  Goddamn, there's almost nothing I like about Indiana.  Fuck you, Dick Lugar!

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2005, 07:55:08 PM »

This part was my favorite:

for fear of unleashing Hoosier passions

That sounds like it could be pretty brutal...
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2005, 08:00:33 PM »

Quote from: "dieblucasdie"
Yeah, I lived in South Bend for four years, and came to Chicago a lot on the weekends.  Half the year, they're on the same time, the other half, South Bend is on the same time as New York.  Insane.  It made figuring out when I had to catch the train an absolute bitch.  Goddamn, there's almost nothing I like about Indiana.  Fuck you, Dick Lugar!

went to notre dame, huh? so did my ex, for her first year of law school. when were you there?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
SPACERACE

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2005, 08:57:40 PM »

Hoosier passions

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
dieblucasdie

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2005, 10:26:32 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
went to notre dame, huh? so did my ex, for her first year of law school. when were you there?

haha, yeah, I was there fall '99 - spring '03.  It was a great school and all, but at the same time I'm glad it's over.  South Bend = Worst college town in the USA.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2005, 10:27:53 PM »

interesting. she was there your senior year.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: "There's probably a [simple] way to reinvent time...&qu
Jump to: