Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:15:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206
Print
Author Topic: Movies watched recently:  (Read 246334 times)
Lindsay With An A

« Reply #5100 on: Feb 10, 2007, 01:43:51 PM »

Quote from: "jebreject"
Quote from: "milesofsparks"
Quote from: "jebreject"
Quote from: "Lindsay With An A"
I saw Babel last night. It was awful. I'm on a three-movie streak of paying to see really terrible films in the theater.

SO GLAD I WASN'T THE ONLY PERSON THAT DIDN'T LIKE BABEL

I just saw Babel and oh, man, I did not like it either.  It was by turns wrenching and annoying.  And no real payoff for all the suffering I went through watching it.  I only paid $3, so money-wise whatever, but I want my 2 hours back.  And I am a total wimp about violence, so I'm going to have to spend at least an hour in the cuteness thread just to calm my mind down so I can sleep.

I didn't pay a damn thing for it and felt sorta ripped off at the end!

The violence didn't bother me so much--well, the violence DID bother me, but it felt really manipulative to me and the whole film seemed to be trying way too hard to make some really, really simple points

Yeah, just to unleash my Babel-hate one last time: by the end of the movie I didn't even understand what point Inarritu was trying to make. I'm almost  compelled to read into it and see if there are any interviews out there that cast a little more light on what he thinks this movie's about, because the only thing I got out of it was the embarrassingly simple "our actions are all connected." At least after watching Crash, you can say, "Ok, that was a hokey ass movie about racism." After seeing Babel, it was more like, "Ok, that was a hokey ass movie about...well, I have no idea what that was about."

And I didn't think it was overly violent or anything, but a dude behind me (who had been whispering delightfully snarky comments about how much he hated the movie the entire time) got up and left during the part where Cate Blanchett was getting stitches.

OT: I watched The Third Man last night, which I'd seen before but I'd forgotten how hard that movie rules. Also, you've gotta love the fact that Orson Welles gets top billing for having literally one speaking scene in the entire film. Seriously, that movie rules. Hard.

Mel Gibson spelled backwards.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #5101 on: Feb 10, 2007, 04:35:24 PM »

like girl, i watched "the science of sleep" tuesday night. i had decidedly mixed feelings about that movie. interesting premise, looked great throughout, and i was certainly impressed by the fact that it used no cgi at all. however, there were elements of the plot and the dialogue that didn't work for me at all. first of all, i found the main character's confusion of dreams and reality implausible. i think in order for me to really believe that he can't tell the difference, the director would have had to make the difference a lot less obvious. as it was, the sleepwalking was believable and interesting, but the reactions in reality to things he'd only dreamed about were not. also, i thought he said a lot of things that were weird and socially unacceptable that were let slide by the other characters to an implausible extent. i couldn't believe a lot of the things he said to the girl he liked--in real life, she'd have slapped his face and never spoken to him again at LEAST 12 times.

ok, then wednesday night i watched "forever hardcore", an unauthorized, non-wwe produced documentary about ecw. there was a lot of stuff in this movie that wasn't even hinted at in the wwe production, and i was really interested by it, but if i hadn't seen the wwe movie first, "forever hardcore" would have been confusing as shit. it had a lot of really cool stories, including new jack proclaiming unapologetically that he had tried to kill vic grimes in the ring, and some rare interview footage with the notoriously close-mouthed sabu, but if i didn't know the timeline of the events already, i wouldn't have gotten any sense of it from "forever hardcore". it was better as a supplemental documentary than standing on its own. [side note: i've been watching a lot of wrestling lately... have you guys noticed? not just documentaries, but also old pay-per-views, retrospective collections, and even new programming. my friend brandon's getting back into this stuff in a big way, and he's getting me excited about it. i may have to start a pro wrestling thread eventually... though i'd be surprised if it didn't die immediately.]

anyway, thursday night i watched "kiss kiss bang bang". i liked shane black's script for "lethal weapon", and i always heard that he was really talented in a way that his early glory years in hollywood never did justice, but even still "kiss kiss bang bang" blew me away. i had no idea that the movie would be anywhere near as good as it was. i guess black's vision finally got fully realized. the whole thing is a complicated noir/hardboiled black comedy, with a wonderful performance by robert downey jr. in the lead. all of the sections of the movie were named after raymond chandler books, too, so that made me even happier. this movie fit right in with the noir movies i've been watching over the past few months. i will probably watch it again in the near future, and it was CERTAINLY worth the $5 i paid for it.

finally, last night i watched "syriana". it was a bit confusing at times, as it harked back to the early 70s heyday of really loose narration, in which the viewer is given little if any thread to follow and has to assemble the pieces they're seeing into a coherent framework in their head as they watch the movie. i feel sure that i'd benefit from one or two repeat views of this movie. that said, i liked it anyway, and definitely thought they made their point about oil and greed and underhanded, corrupt governments very well, and without being didactic, or preaching. george clooney and matt damon were both excellent, and all of the supporting actors were outstanding, especially chris cooper, who is always awesome but had a particularly great showing this time out.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Wally

« Reply #5102 on: Feb 10, 2007, 04:56:49 PM »

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is everything I hate about american movies, and yet I loved it to pieces. Certainly one of Milly's most underated performances.

I just watched Mysterious Skin, and I really really shouldn't have, not that it wasn't good, it was, although not as much fun as Araki's other films. It just ripped out my heart and spleen and fed them to the dogs.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
diesel_powered

« Reply #5103 on: Feb 10, 2007, 06:02:54 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
like girl, i watched "the science of sleep" tuesday night. i had decidedly mixed feelings about that movie. interesting premise, looked great throughout, and i was certainly impressed by the fact that it used no cgi at all. however, there were elements of the plot and the dialogue that didn't work for me at all. first of all, i found the main character's confusion of dreams and reality implausible. i think in order for me to really believe that he can't tell the difference, the director would have had to make the difference a lot less obvious. as it was, the sleepwalking was believable and interesting, but the reactions in reality to things he'd only dreamed about were not. also, i thought he said a lot of things that were weird and socially unacceptable that were let slide by the other characters to an implausible extent. i couldn't believe a lot of the things he said to the girl he liked--in real life, she'd have slapped his face and never spoken to him again at LEAST 12 times.

I kind of felt the same way about it. I didn't have any huge issues with it and I thought it was a good film, but it was strange to watch all the cutesy Gondry effects being used on a totally self-absorbed and unlikable character. It was almost like the movie was Gondry's self-critique of his dreamy childishness. I mean, the guy had a documentary about him entitled "I've been 12 forver".

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
girl

« Reply #5104 on: Feb 10, 2007, 10:15:03 PM »

OT: I watched The Third Man last night, which I'd seen before but I'd forgotten how hard that movie rules. Also, you've gotta love the fact that Orson Welles gets top billing for having literally one speaking scene in the entire film. Seriously, that movie rules. Hard.

The Third Man is an all-time favorite of mine, too!  Right now I'm watching Lawrence of Arabia for the second time in two days.  Damn, I love this movie.

this is a story and you're not in it
heather marie

« Reply #5105 on: Feb 10, 2007, 10:21:10 PM »

Quote from: "Wally"

I just watched Mysterious Skin, and I really really shouldn't have, not that it wasn't good, it was, although not as much fun as Araki's other films. It just ripped out my heart and spleen and fed them to the dogs.

i didn't speak to anyone for days after watching mysterious skin.
Sir Didymus

« Reply #5106 on: Feb 10, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »

Yeah, just to unleash my Babel-hate one last time: by the end of the movie I didn't even understand what point Inarritu was trying to make. I'm almost  compelled to read into it and see if there are any interviews out there that cast a little more light on what he thinks this movie's about, because the only thing I got out of it was the embarrassingly simple "our actions are all connected." At least after watching Crash, you can say, "Ok, that was a hokey ass movie about racism." After seeing Babel, it was more like, "Ok, that was a hokey ass movie about...well, I have no idea what that was about."

Hmm, I think there was more to this movie than that. Each of the stories had something to say, but I think the message were conveyed were either unclear, not particularly novel, or ham-fisted, and sometimes a combination of the above. The only story which consistently held my interest was the Japanese girls story, and even that was missing some resolution (although I may have misinterprested the ending).

I didn't really enjoy Inarritu's last movie 21 grams, and I think it is a combination of the writing and directing which doesn't seem to add up. I don't understand why the movie critics seem to gobble us these movies.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #5107 on: Feb 10, 2007, 11:09:44 PM »

Mysterious Skin and The Third Man both hold a lot of meaning and importance for me, and even just mentioning them serves to emphasize how relatively lousy last night's movie was: Raising Cain. My partner wanted to watch it and I, having seen it long ago but holding positive memories, agreed. In retrospect, I'm not sure where those positive memories came from--I guess a ninth grader can be pretty easily impressed by tilted camera angles. John Lithgow is a pleasure to watch, but overall this is pretty mediocre DePalma--not nearly as bad as Snake Eyes, but far, far beneath his best work.

She's asleep now; we were supposed to go see The Departed (which I think I called The Departure a few entries ago; my bad) at the $3 theater but missed it, so tonight might hold even more cinematic thrills from my collection once her nap ends.
milesofsparks

« Reply #5108 on: Feb 11, 2007, 12:34:33 AM »

Yeah, just to unleash my Babel-hate one last time: by the end of the movie I didn't even understand what point Inarritu was trying to make.

I just figured the point was the super obvious point (perhaps it has already been discussed?) about people not understanding each other -> alienation -> sadness (i.e. tower of babel).  But a point that's been made better by many others, though my drunken mind is not remembering them at present.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #5109 on: Feb 11, 2007, 01:10:28 AM »

a local cinemaplex has late night showings of cult movies for $2 on saturdays, tonight was "This is Spinal Tap" and we went and it was great.

Puddle Pants
jebreject

« Reply #5110 on: Feb 11, 2007, 01:28:49 AM »

Quote from: "Sir Didymus"
I didn't really enjoy Inarritu's last movie 21 grams, and I think it is a combination of the writing and directing which doesn't seem to add up. I don't understand why the movie critics seem to gobble us these movies.

I thought Amores Perros was really great, which made me all the more disappointed by 21 Grams and Babel

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
cool banana

« Reply #5111 on: Feb 11, 2007, 01:57:27 AM »

Quote from: "girl"

The Third Man is an all-time favorite of mine, too!  Right now I'm watching Lawrence of Arabia for the second time in two days.  Damn, I love this movie.

The Third Man is one of my favourite films of all time. I keep watching it and picking up intricacies I missed in earlier viewings. Also, I watch it with people and bore/annoy them with "ohh, I've just noticed, if you look at the way the shadows fall here" or "haha see how she called him Harry instead of Holly" and pretty much just turn into a raving fanboy. Welles fucking wrote that speech about cuckoo clocks! I mean seriously, what a champion. wlkgna;slgk

Smile[/quote]

She's like, so whatever
diesel_powered

« Reply #5112 on: Feb 11, 2007, 02:44:53 AM »

Quote from: "auto-da-fey"

She's asleep now; we were supposed to go see The Departed (which I think I called The Departure a few entries ago; my bad) at the $3 theater but missed it, so tonight might hold even more cinematic thrills from my collection once her nap ends.

This reminds me that I need to find a cheapo theater here. Admittedly, I have an indie place that's walking distance from my apartment (which is also odd since for some reason I've always had an indie theater in walking distance from wherever I've lived... I guess I'm just a hipster like that...) but it's $8 a pop. Cheapo theaters are the best because by the time I've made up my mind that I need to see a movie and then have gotten good and goddamn ready to see it, it's in the cheapo theater.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
auto-da-fey

« Reply #5113 on: Feb 11, 2007, 03:15:56 AM »

It's weird, but to the best of my knowledge Hollywood didn't have a cheap theater until recently. There's a double-feature-for-$7 place on Hollywood Blvd that shows some weird combos (uh, Shrek w/Black Hawk Down, anyone?), but that was it until the new place on Fairfax and Beverly opened this past summer with all-$3 shows.

Turns out we watched Basket Case tonight, my old, old, beat-up VHS copy. It really did a number on my beloved, and I still enjoy it after numerous viewings over the years. It makes me hope the DVD version isn't all cleaned and remastered, because the cheap, gritty, smi-grainy film stock on my copy really adds to capturing what I imagine to be a pretty realistic Times Square 1982 vibe.

We did part ways over sympathy for Belial, though. Right up until the final killing, I really feel for the little blob of flesh; not so much understanding from my more judgmental partner, who wanted him dead from early on.
theartlessmonster

« Reply #5114 on: Feb 12, 2007, 12:34:42 AM »

"The Sisters" - bad, so bad! I have not seen a movie this bad in a while.  It was based on Anton Chekhov's play "The Three Sisters" - I don't know if it was the play itself or this adaptation, I'd liked some of his stories but this left me cold and also the acting was horrible!

Don't be a swiss roll.
alistarr*

« Reply #5115 on: Feb 12, 2007, 05:39:46 AM »

well, Practical Magic sucked last night. Jumanji was hilarious and Batman Begins (on my girlfriend's dad's new massive tv with hd upscaling dvd player thingy) was suitably awesome, so between them they managed to erase the torment of seeing the least interesting storyline from empire records writ large (they even had the same colour hair) to a background of magic and trite morality. there was microwave popcorn, though.
Maaik

« Reply #5116 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:54:03 AM »

Quote from: "milesofsparks"
Yeah, just to unleash my Babel-hate one last time: by the end of the movie I didn't even understand what point Inarritu was trying to make.

I just figured the point was the super obvious point (perhaps it has already been discussed?) about people not understanding each other -> alienation -> sadness (i.e. tower of babel).  But a point that's been made better by many others, though my drunken mind is not remembering them at present.

I need anne the man lessons
theartlessmonster

« Reply #5117 on: Feb 12, 2007, 03:20:59 PM »

Aristocrats, that joke documentary.  I found this stupid.  A friend an I now have an ongoing argument over it, he says I just don't get it.  I say I do get it and its gross and after 5 minutes of it there is really no point in watching the rest. Nausea is not humor.  Making someone nauseaus and making someone laugh are worlds apart.

Don't be a swiss roll.
coldforge

« Reply #5118 on: Feb 12, 2007, 03:38:04 PM »

you don't get it.

l'era del terzo mondo.
hannah

« Reply #5119 on: Feb 12, 2007, 03:52:08 PM »

I hated The Aristocrats because Bob Saget totally blew his punchline and that's that. Duh, guy, the name of the group you were describing was "Full House." What a doofus!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #5120 on: Feb 12, 2007, 04:29:47 PM »

i saw the first part of "aristocrats"--maybe 45 minutes of it. i enjoyed it and want to see the rest of it eventually, but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

last night i saw "the devil's rejects". such a MAJOR improvement over zombie's first attempt at a horror movie. i remember not completely hating "house of 1000 corpses" but finding myself defending it more on the strength of its potential and interesting ideas than anything that really shined through in the execution. on the other hand, i feel like "devil's rejects" got rid of a lot of what didn't work and pulled off a lot of the good ideas that didn't quite work in "house of 1000 corpses". i especially liked the way the climactic ending sequence was patterned in a complete reversal of the usual horror movie ending sequence. i won't go into more detail so i don't spoil it for anyone, but yeah.

shouldn't we start a new movie thread, if we're eliminating the long threads?

mriley

« Reply #5121 on: Feb 12, 2007, 04:31:54 PM »

The Boondock Saints is one of those movies that people have been telling me for years that I should watch because its one of the great violent independent crime/action movies like Lock Stock or Reservoir Dogs.
I watched it this weekend, and I found it to be a miserable pile of crap.  I hated this movie and cant understand how so many people reccomeded it so highly.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #5122 on: Feb 12, 2007, 04:46:41 PM »

Quote from: "mriley"
The Boondock Saints is one of those movies that people have been telling me for years that I should watch because its one of the great violent independent crime/action movies like Lock Stock or Reservoir Dogs.
I watched it this weekend, and I found it to be a miserable pile of crap.  I hated this movie and cant understand how so many people reccomeded it so highly.

it'll make a lot more sense once you put down the crack pipe and detox for a few days.

by which i mean: that movie is GREAT wtf is WRONG with you

Greg Nog

« Reply #5123 on: Feb 12, 2007, 04:51:38 PM »

Quote from: "mriley"

The same thing happened with me and Mystic River.  I was like, "Seriously?  You guys are all just kidding, right?  Right?"
monkeypants

« Reply #5124 on: Feb 12, 2007, 05:02:41 PM »

Have any of you ever seen "Overnight", the documentary about the director of "Boondock Saints", his rise to fame, and what an incredible douchebag he is?  It is an amazing movie that I cannot recommend highly enough.

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Movies watched recently:
Jump to: