Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:54:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658138 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 63 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: afternoon in nyc -- what to do?  (Read 2061 times)
omymai

« on: May 24, 2005, 12:55:59 PM »

gonna be in nyc for the boredoms, and will have all of thursday to spend galavanting, can you suggest me some subway-able record stores and cool places to see while my friends are at work?
(weathers supposed to suck...)

This is going to be the best Bellini Day ever!
JamesSchneider

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 01:00:56 PM »

Bleeker Street Records and Rebel Rebel in the west village hold a place in my heart, despite that their seclection may not be the best. If you're looking for vinyl though, rebel rebel is pretty cool. And you're right by the cafe with the best eclairs in the world, roccos on bleeker. oh! AND GOOD PIZZA. Johns only does pies, Joes does slices, and they're both BITCH ASS! and on bleeker. Who loves the west village and understands its inherant superiority to the east village? I DO!

Couldn't you take the second bus home?
swilkes

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 02:08:08 PM »

Other Music on W. 4th St.
Kim's Music & Video on St. Mark's Pl., which is just around the corner from OM.

Actually, just wandering down St. Mark's from the Astor Pl. subway stop to Tompkins Sq. Park makes for a nice afternoon. Detour onto 2nd Ave. for lunch at Veselka's, or check out Mr. Dumpling on St. Mark's & Ave. A. There are some interesting boutiques on E. 9th St. between 2nd & Ave. A, I think.

Personally, if I had only one afternoon in NYC, I'd spend it all in Chinatown, but that's just me; for more shopping (esp. records) & culinary variety, the East Village is better.
Greg Nog

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 02:12:09 PM »

Mai, if you're gonna be around St. Mark's Place, you must eat some Pomme Frites.  They're just french fries, sure -- but they're also wicked damned good.  

And their smoked eggplant mayonnaise is one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth.
stephanie

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 02:33:14 PM »

Quote from: "Greg Nog"
Mai, if you're gonna be around St. Mark's Place, you must eat some Pomme Frites.  They're just french fries, sure -- but they're also wicked damned good.

*cries*

Yes, yes, yes.  I smuggled some Frites onto my return flight home the first time I ever went to NYC.
Also recommended if you find yourself in the East Village (home of the aforementioned Kim's and Other Music):  Yaffa Cafe.  Open 24/7.  Try the raspberry mimosa.  OMG.

Here is a really neat New York map so you can find everything around certain subways (the little orange "M"s are stops).
Michael

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »

There is a new place on Ludlow between Stanton and Rivington (Lower East Side) called the Cake Shop. Coffee shop/record store, pretty big selection of used records (and the biggest 7" section I've ever seen, maybe).

There is a small record store on Avenue A (around 5th or 6th Street) called Etherea. Not as huge as Kims or Other, but sometimes a little more indiepop friendly, if you give a shit about that.

I keep forgetting to try Mr. Dumpling! I'm worried their food will be so cute my stomach will explode.

Right by Mr. Dumpling on St. Marks is a good used book store, East Village Books, I think it's called. And toward's Tompkins from that is a new place called Hummus Place that only has three dishes and they are all hummus but the hummus with foul is awesome and it's like four bucks and their pita is amazing. Good lemonade, too.

I don't know if it is still there, but if it is, it is worth the trip up to the Met to see the Diane Arbus show.

Are you here to get pumped?
omymai

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 05:58:38 PM »

Greg Nog, how did you know I'm obsessed with fried potatoes in all shapes and forms! (I was the Utz girl for halloween for cryin out loud!) I remember seeing that place featured on a Food Network special on fries, I'm so there!

Stephanie, that map is AWESOME.

My Thursday is going to be super great, thanks everyone!

swilkes

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 10:20:07 PM »

Quote from: "Michael"

I keep forgetting to try Mr. Dumpling! I'm worried their food will be so cute my stomach will explode.

I actually haven't tried it myself, and I have the same worry. I've been told that Mr. Dumpling himself--that is, the owner--made a big appearance at the last Wigstock revival in Tompkins Sq. Park.  God, I woulda loved to see him, hopefully dressed up as a fabulous drag dumpling.

I can assure you, however, that the Beard Papa cream puffs on Broadway & E. 8th won't kill you will cuteness, though their promotional material, and the fact that they're called "Beard Papa," might.
crystalcakes

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 11:01:22 PM »

pomme frites- RULE!   (eggplant mayo seconded!)
beard papa- meh.  

the diane arbus exhibit ends on the 3oth and is awesome.  the met is also "recommended donation" and no set fee.

I work in soho and both lombardi's and pomodoro down in little italy/soho have good pizza.

it has been dreary since saturday night.  spring has come late to new york city.

Quote from: "John"
life is now worthless and I am going to eat cat food & die
Ignatius

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 01:58:39 AM »

Where's the Moby love?  I suppose if you're not vegan it has limited appeal, but the teany turkey club is disturbingly tasty.  Plus everybody knows lower east side is where the real cool people hang.  You'd have a hard time being bored.  Has anyone been to the new moma?  I'm going on Thursday with a museum-people child, so we don't have to pay however many ridiculous dollars for admission, but I don't know if there are any 'specially killer wings/galleries that I MUST NOT MISS.
omymai

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 01:30:23 PM »

Thanks everybody, :-D
I ended up going to the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors and had some Pommes Frites, and Kims and Other and Subterranean. All in all a good drizzly day. :-)
Also my friends and I went to see Dr. Chicago featuring Alvin Lucier at some little theater in NYU. Pretty hot.

jordanmichael

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 07:53:42 PM »

forbidden planet. it is by union square. great graphic novels there. there is also a pizza place in that location. i can not for the life of me remember the name, but it is really easy to spot. as you walk in, on the left is where they have the pizza, and on the right is a wall length mirror. when you enter it is looks like a hall of pizza. kinda disappointing when you walk in to see that it is not a hall of pizza, but it is the best pizza i ever had in my life.

if anyone knows the name of this pizza place i'd be really happy.
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: afternoon in nyc -- what to do?
Jump to: