Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 21, 2014, 02:09:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657907 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 82 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Print
Author Topic: Overheard conversations  (Read 28423 times)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #175 on: Jul 28, 2007, 11:56:52 AM »

haha. "secretary". am i a weirdo for finding parts of that movie incredibly hot?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Aglaya

« Reply #176 on: Jul 28, 2007, 11:58:43 AM »

No, no you're not.  Or I am too.  One or the other.

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
The_Tourist

« Reply #177 on: Jul 28, 2007, 10:42:53 PM »

my girlfriend has it on dvd and i saw it for the first time the other day.

i spent the next couple days after that telling her to put her elbows on my desk and trying to spank her. i don't think she appreciated it.

we have the money for missiles and fun
Aglaya

« Reply #178 on: Jul 30, 2007, 10:47:57 AM »

My last boyfriend kept saying he was going to do that, but never did.

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
cool banana

« Reply #179 on: Aug 17, 2007, 06:51:46 PM »

just people talking shit at work:

A: "Do you know martial arts?"
B: "um, na, but the name's familiar."

She's like, so whatever
Doctor Bob

« Reply #180 on: Sep 17, 2007, 10:50:09 AM »

I just got an e-mail from a friend, passing on this gem from his boss.  While it's not 'overheard' exactly, it doesn't belong in the Qoutables either, so I thought I'd put it here.

"Everything on a computer is in the fucking past.  The future is in the future and not on a fucking computer."

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
nonotyet

« Reply #181 on: Oct 01, 2007, 12:04:15 PM »

There is a man who lives across the street from me who has a fondness for going out on his porch and screaming "HOO-RAH, MOTHERFUCKERS" at odd times of the night and then talking to whoever is around about "I WAS IN THE ARMY, FUCK YOU." He once got into a fight with another gentleman, pushed him down the stairs leading up to the duplex he lives in, and then CHASED AFTER HIM WITH A TWO-BY-FOUR. He has been absent for a while and I am going to go ahead and assume that he was in jail, because a) HE WAS HITTING A GUY WITH A TWO-BY-FOUR, and b) last night I heard him out on the porch saying "many, many, many men. I never hurt nobody. I ain't never hurt nobody in my life. FUCK the PO-LICE. UGGGGGGGGH." And he repeated this for like ten minutes.

alex

« Reply #182 on: Oct 01, 2007, 12:20:06 PM »

In the line for check-in at the airport last week, two members of some band playing volkstümlicher Schlager (I have no idea how to get across the horror of this concept in English as I don't think there's a direct equivalent, but it's the most awful kind of pseudo-folk pop music imaginable) were standing behind me, on their way to tape a tv show for New Year's Eve (yes, that's right, in September). At some point, younger guy mentioned to older guy that he had called X (a lady he apparently had some romantic interest in), which led to the following exchange:

older guy: Don't do that kind of thing. She's bad.
younger guy: Really, do you think so?
older: Yes. I mean, bad for you. She follows her own interests. You'll be able to find a girl that's more simple and just as pretty.
younger guy: Hmm, okay.

And I was just standing there, thinking "surely you don't have to embody every cliché available about your branche of music in two minutes?!"
Greg Nog

« Reply #183 on: Oct 01, 2007, 12:46:56 PM »

volkstümlicher Schlager (I have no idea how to get across the horror of this concept in English as I don't think there's a direct equivalent, but it's the most awful kind of pseudo-folk pop music imaginable)

Oh lord, have you ever piqued my interest!
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #184 on: Oct 01, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »

You can most accurately convey the horror to us by posting a youtube link or similar.

I feel like I can take it.  I can take the horror.  Bring it on.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
slow west vultures

« Reply #185 on: Oct 01, 2007, 01:21:04 PM »

volkstümlicher Schlager (I have no idea how to get across the horror of this concept in English as I don't think there's a direct equivalent, but it's the most awful kind of pseudo-folk pop music imaginable)

Oh lord, have you ever piqued my interest!

is this like a german dave matthews band?  californicated austrians? 

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #186 on: Oct 01, 2007, 01:54:42 PM »

There is a man who lives across the street from me who has a fondness for going out on his porch and screaming "HOO-RAH, MOTHERFUCKERS" at odd times of the night and then talking to whoever is around about "I WAS IN THE ARMY, FUCK YOU." He once got into a fight with another gentleman, pushed him down the stairs leading up to the duplex he lives in, and then CHASED AFTER HIM WITH A TWO-BY-FOUR. He has been absent for a while and I am going to go ahead and assume that he was in jail, because a) HE WAS HITTING A GUY WITH A TWO-BY-FOUR, and b) last night I heard him out on the porch saying "many, many, many men. I never hurt nobody. I ain't never hurt nobody in my life. FUCK the PO-LICE. UGGGGGGGGH." And he repeated this for like ten minutes.

dude is either crazy and lying or you have mistranscribed his saying. because like, in the army they say "HOO-AHH" and in the marines they say "OO-RAHH" [if you don't believe me, you can ask wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooah, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oorah], but nobody says "HOO-RAH".

i'm not trying to be a dick by posting this, i just think it's really funny.

alex

« Reply #187 on: Oct 01, 2007, 02:38:31 PM »

is this like a german dave matthews band?  californicated austrians? 

Hmm, no, not really, I don't think so. DMB are mostly popular with the younger generation, right? This is more the kind of music popular mostly with a more senior generation. Grandparents, specifically.

This may or may not have been the band I was talking of (one of the guys looks kinda like the one guy at the airport, but I can't spot the other one) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1L6haEo8go
Please note the fact that we are dealing with a quintet consisting of seven people here.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #188 on: Oct 01, 2007, 02:42:20 PM »

oh my god, alex, that's awful. i don't know if we even have an american analogue.

lite-rock, perhaps?

slow west vultures

« Reply #189 on: Oct 01, 2007, 04:10:24 PM »

i love how they're all dressed like don johnson circa 1983.  if miami vice does not cross the cultural and time barriers alex here is what i am thinking of

the other one on imdb was funnier because they had a crocodile posed with them.  i'm not sure how i feel about that music.  on the one hand i'm half-german, and anything  on the german culture ironic meter makes me smile - but that music is pretty bland.  it almost sounds like something i'd hear on univision or telemundo (gah, this getting like Babel - those are spanish language stations, the music almost sounds like stock spanish or arabic hit pop songs - to further muddle my cultural comparisons)

edison

« Reply #190 on: Oct 19, 2007, 04:07:46 AM »

While waiting for a take-away pizza at the typically Alsatian restaurant right in front of our place last night (minus a few remarks in dialect that I didn't exactly understand):

Fat lady owner: When I was a kid, my father would slap me everytime I talked too much. And in school, too, we had detention.
Grey-haired customer: Yeah, I had three hours of detention every night. And my father used to slap us so hard that sometimes we couldn't speak anymore.
Owner: Wow.
Customer: And it certainly didn't kill me. Children respected their parents back then, they really did. Now...
RavingLunatic

« Reply #191 on: Oct 19, 2007, 04:29:49 AM »

I've been reading a book by Bertrand Russell called Education and the Good Life, and he's constantly deriding that sort of thing. Was Bertrand Russell wrong about anything? It seems like everything of his I read I agree with. I don't read his mathematical or pure philosophocal stuff though.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
aftm

« Reply #192 on: Oct 19, 2007, 05:27:20 AM »

"did you actually kill her?"
"nah, i wimped out. but i would've"
Good Intentions

« Reply #193 on: Oct 19, 2007, 08:09:04 AM »

I've been reading a book by Bertrand Russell called Education and the Good Life, and he's constantly deriding that sort of thing. Was Bertrand Russell wrong about anything? It seems like everything of his I read I agree with. I don't read his mathematical or pure philosophocal stuff though.
A lot of the time he showed exactly what he was: a sheltered posho overwhelmed by good intentions and entirely lacking in common sense. Pretty fantastic logician, but he shows his colours as a partician even when discussing puzzles of propisitional attitudes.
Greg Nog

« Reply #194 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:42:15 AM »

a sheltered posho overwhelmed by good intentions and entirely lacking in common sense.

My ears are burning!
slow west vultures

« Reply #195 on: Oct 19, 2007, 12:40:39 PM »

A lot of the time he showed exactly what he was: a sheltered posho overwhelmed by good intentions and entirely lacking in common sense. Pretty fantastic logician, but he shows his colours as a partician even when discussing puzzles of propisitional attitudes.

you totally overwhelmed bertrand russell, didn't you GI? 

auto-da-fey

« Reply #196 on: Oct 19, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »

The LaRouche people who more or less lived on the sidewalk outside my apartment three years ago insisted with maniacal fervor that Russell was an "architect of genocide and fascism" or something like that. I asked them why once, and they showed me a passage he wrote during the Cold War that went along the lines of, "there will be a totalitarian government that indoctrinates the populace with propaganda," and so forth. When I suggested this was a warning and not a prescription, they got really angry and started shouting at me. I didn't push the point, because someone I know had a LaRouchite spit in his face once when he told them he supported Bush, and I didn't want that to happen.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #197 on: Oct 19, 2007, 02:30:42 PM »

Oh yeah, and while I'm not too interested in Russell's philosophies--though yeah, GI mighta been a little harsh there--has anyone else read his autobiography? As a teenager, that guy did some serious wanking. This isn't just me digging for pervy dirt--he's the one who wrote about it!
RavingLunatic

« Reply #198 on: Oct 19, 2007, 02:36:37 PM »

I've never read his autobiography, but I probably will sometime. I'm not really surprised he talks about masturbating in it. He talks quite a bit about sex in his books, mostly about how ridiculous attitudes were about sex back when he wrote.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
slow west vultures

« Reply #199 on: Oct 19, 2007, 02:50:38 PM »

As a teenager, that guy did some serious wanking.

you mean writing philosphy? 

[buh duh dum]

and adf who are these larouchians you are speaking of?  i don't really know anything about larouche, but are these like disciples of his that go around haranguing people on his viewpoints?  it sounds like something from a pynchon novel. 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Overheard conversations
Jump to: