Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 23, 2014, 09:46:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657765 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: After Dinner TV  (Read 9248 times)
FreddyKnuckles

« on: Jun 10, 2005, 04:23:29 PM »

I can never watch shows that are a contest/gameshow type thing with some sort of musical or creative talent involved.  The person that is OBVIOUSLY the best NEVER effin wins.  So frustrating.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
jordanmichael

« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2005, 05:46:19 PM »

these are the shows i feel like i should watch just so i can have something to talk about. are there anyone ones that are actually good?

i've never seen the show, but i must disagree with one thing. you can't rip blink 182 two new assholes, because they are all assholes to begin with. except the drummer. he seems like a decent guy.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2005, 05:49:47 PM »

wow, that's so fresh, I've never heard someone say that before, ever!

leslie

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2005, 06:04:24 PM »

I tried not to watch the shw, I swear, and there I was mesmerized. And I was so convinced, wholly, that Tommy Tutone was going to sweep, he had such passion and such presence, was so self possessed in a way the other acts weren't.  I diddn't get the sense he was trying to relive soemthing (which I got from the others) I felt like he was trying to school us that just because it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it might just be a lion. I was shocked when V. Ice took the prize. I was certain the audience was seeing the same lost one trick pony I was seeing, and kind of got that shouting and making music were different disciplines.

Anyway, I find JD's take comforting, like I wasn't the only one who saw what I saw.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2005, 06:34:07 PM »

that blink 182 song is called "all the small things." i don't like much of their material, but i do like that song.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
jordanmichael

« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2005, 08:48:55 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
that blink 182 song is called "all the small things." i don't like much of their material, but i do like that song.
i have that cd on my itunes. i got it for my birthday about 5 or 6 years ago.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2005, 09:27:36 PM »

yucko!

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
jordanmichael

« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2005, 09:52:59 PM »

Quote from: "cold before sunrise"
yucko!

i was in 5th grade.
laurenmvb

« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2005, 10:57:37 PM »

this is weird, 'cause i'm not a big television person either, but i got home last night from a really mentally exhausting day and ordered some delivery food and thought that watching some tube would probably be the best thing, so i turned it on, and i only have three channels so it was between the hit me baby thing, basketball and something totally unappealing...i can't recall what.  i almost turned it off but i was somewhat mesmerized for a moment as well and stayed on the horribly named show that this thread is about.  

it was weird, man.  i feel a certain degree of comfort as well that john was watching and had a similar reaction...  initially i assumed it would be another show filled with ex-celebrities who are now all about making themselves look like desperate fools for another moment in the spotlight, but in this instance only vanilla ice really fit that bill...and why, oh why, is it necessary to show vanilla ice on his racing motorcycle at all times?  does he think that this lends him some sort of bad-assedness cred?(along with the rag hanging out of his back pocket and requisite one pant-leg-roll-up?)

also, the host dude.  all i kept thinking about him was that andy gibb, circa the 'solid gold' era(you know, when he was co-hosting with marilyn mccoo), dropped some dna in a puddle somewhere and host guy is who emerged, decades later.  i guess andy gibb wasn't from liverpool, but whatever.  the puddle may have adulterated certain details.  such as any inherent style andy gibb might have posessed.

in closing, i kinda feel like it was rigged.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2005, 11:03:25 PM »

that's true, no way Ice would go one knowing he'd lose

wes

« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2005, 08:39:10 AM »

First things first-  "... Baby One More Time" is an AMAZING song. One of the last definitive cultural milestones of the 20th century. Simultaneously disturbing (when coupled with its video) for its intense sexualization of a 14? year old girl and undeniably, boyantly life-afirming. That beat!?
    More relevantly, does anybody know if the show will be re-aired?  I regret missing it. Are more episodes planned?
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2005, 09:24:13 AM »

wrong wrongity wrong wrong wrong.

wes

« Reply #12 on: Jun 11, 2005, 10:04:34 AM »

Quote from: "FreddyKnuckles"
wrong wrongity wrong wrong wrong.

there's no such thing as wrong Freddy. Didn't we all learn that in college?
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2005, 10:36:25 AM »

britney was 18 when "hit me baby one more time" was big. she was born in 1981. she might have been 17 when the video was filmed at the youngest.

and i agree with everyone who hates the song. "toxic" is the only song by her i ever liked.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
wes

« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2005, 10:55:34 AM »

Regardless of Britney's "actual" age while filming the video, the schoolgirl  character she plays was certainly underaged. The inner conflict inherent in us when we see the representation of a young girl being sexually exploited is one very powerful facet of the song/video.
   Anyway, this has been somewhat off-topic and I apologize for that.  Is "hit me baby one more time" the show a series or was it a one time event?
dieblucasdie

« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2005, 03:53:53 PM »

When I was back in MT, my dad and I (hahaha) watched a VH-1 reality show where they "make-over" has-beens, and Vanilla Ice was on it.  During the course of the makeover show he AGREED to be on he:

1)  Refused the counseling they offered him, while admitting that he "never trusts anyone" because he's "been through the ringer."  Apparently he blames his handlers for passing him off as some cartoon, hence the overcompensation with the nu-metal rage.
2)  He writes a song with help of some flavor-of-the-moment hip-hop production team, which everyone says turned out great, until they figure out that Ice had recycled the lyrics wholesale from one of his followup albums.
3)  He refuses to get the Queer-eye treatment, wearing his NASCAR shirt and backwards cap on stage for his "comeback show."  Hilarious gets his ass kicked by a personal trainer, refuses to give up pot at the trainer's request.
4)  Pisses off everyone involved in the show.
5)  Pisses off the awesome drummer he has, who quits the band.

Dude has serious issues.  He needlessly hates his former persona, but takes none of the responsibilty for it.  He wants to use reality shows as a vehicle for a return to fame, but he doesn't want follow the rules of a reality show.  He frets constantly about "being himself," but how can you be a rock star without performance?

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
laurenmvb

« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2005, 05:18:35 PM »

wes,

there is, naturally, a website...

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Hit_Me_Baby/index.shtml

next weeks lineup looks pretty fascinating itself.  wang chung, dude.  and cameo.

i wonder who will be the vanilla ice of this episode?  by that i do not mean the "winner", but the act/person who seems as if they are there to prove something.  vanilla ice has been trying to prove something in every crappy show he's appeared on since the days of the ice-ice-baby-tiger striped-sweatpants.  i suppose he was trying to prove something with the ice-ice-baby-tiger-striped sweatpants.   hey, this is kind of unrelated, but anyone here remember "skidz"?  those might have been the worst pants ever.  and they totally ruled my junior high school for an entire year.  although z cavericci's were pretty big too.  

i'm gonna put my money on sophie b. hawkins.  i see a style 360 happening here.  i could be wrong, though.  maybe she'll bust out in her circa-1997 neo-hippie regalia.
Maaik

« Reply #17 on: Jun 11, 2005, 05:26:30 PM »

I saw that makeover show too.  Maybe it's cos he's a perpetual 15 year old.  He's been playing music tv for years now.  I remember this show on MTV where they were retiring the most overplayed videos, and brought Vanilla Ice on to retire "Ice Ice Baby."  He was supposed to smash the tape with a baseball bat, but instead went on a rampage on the set, destroying pretty much everything he could before stomping off.  Since then, I think folks have been trotting him out because he's such a trainwreck that it makes for "good" tv.

Besides, what kinda jerk makes Gary Coleman cry on tv?

I need anne the man lessons
jordanmichael

« Reply #18 on: Jun 11, 2005, 08:17:21 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
britney was 18 when "hit me baby one more time" was big. she was born in 1981. she might have been 17 when the video was filmed at the youngest.

and i agree with everyone who hates the song. "toxic" is the only song by her i ever liked.

toxic kills braincells.
Matos_W.K.

« Reply #19 on: Jun 11, 2005, 09:50:10 PM »

Quote from: "jordanmichael"
toxic kills braincells.

[offers braincells up to the evil villains who have bestowed us with that miracle of recorded sound known as "Toxic"] here you go! take 'em! thanks!  :wink:

There is nothing wrong with sentimentality, provided itís genuine.
Charming Tedious

« Reply #20 on: Jun 11, 2005, 10:08:06 PM »

haddaway has a doctorate in political science
jordanmichael

« Reply #21 on: Jun 11, 2005, 10:48:04 PM »

Quote from: "Matos_W.K."
Quote from: "jordanmichael"
toxic kills braincells.

[offers braincells up to the evil villains who have bestowed us with that miracle of recorded sound known as "Toxic"] here you go! take 'em! thanks!  :wink:

agreed.
Matos_W.K.

« Reply #22 on: Jun 11, 2005, 10:56:40 PM »

wait, I thought you didn't like "Toxic"?

There is nothing wrong with sentimentality, provided itís genuine.
jordanmichael

« Reply #23 on: Jun 12, 2005, 02:16:58 AM »

Quote from: "Matos_W.K."
wait, I thought you didn't like "Toxic"?

no, i loved it. it is one of those that just gets stuck in your head and rots it. like anything by hellogoodbye.
laurenmvb

« Reply #24 on: Jun 12, 2005, 02:20:19 AM »

Quote from: "Charming Tedious"
haddaway has a doctorate in political science

of course he does.  that's awesome.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: After Dinner TV
Jump to: