Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 31, 2014, 04:23:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 24  (Read 2083 times)
bdoherty1888

« on: Jul 16, 2005, 08:20:37 PM »

It's 1.17am here in Scotland. I have the 24 Season 2 box set. I've watched the first 19 episodes already. I really like it. Should I watch the remaining 5 episodes tonight and completely wreck my already messed up sleeping pattern?

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2005, 08:25:28 PM »

I don't really see how you have a choice, at this point.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Throoper

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2005, 12:17:30 AM »

Does Jack Bauer ever sleep? Of course not! It's the Jack Bauer Power Hour! Dammit!

I was similarly afflicted a few months ago. My brother and I chose to rent instead of buy, so we lived at the whim of the local video stores and their customers for a period of time, which was agony.

Oh, and one more thing:

DAMMIT!
davy

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2005, 12:41:34 AM »

24 is pretty much my favorite television show of all time. and i haven't had cable in YEARS.

and even if i DID, i couldn't bring myself to watch this show in a live context. commercials?!? on 24?! the hell?!

my wife and i always wait for the dvd box, buy it the day it comes out, hopefully on sale, watch it within a few days of getting it home, then sell it back on amazon. sometimes we even MAKE money. it's a beautiful system.

you have to finish it tonight, obvs.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
bdoherty1888

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2005, 09:04:03 AM »

Previously, on...

Oh don't worry, I watched it that night, and it blew my mind. I've already bought Season 3 on eBay, and when it arrives, will pull another all-nighter on that one.

In the meantime, I'll be looking at bar staff when they tell me the price of a drink think 'Can I really trust him?', and thinking of rooftops 'Good spot for a sniper'.

davy

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2005, 01:21:32 AM »

since, sadly, there are not dozens of seasons of 24 to be watched obsessively and without regard to activities relating to the continuance of life, my wife and i occasionally obsess over other serial-type tv shows that have made it to dvd. we've seen every season of the sopranos that way (the last one was the worst, but we enjoyed it all the same), we've dabbled in CSI and six feet under (not a fan), but this week, we are living and dying and having our socks knocked off by deadwood.

only two more episodes! agh!

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2005, 01:58:19 AM »

You mean the same Deadwood responsible for such glorious bits of  interlocution as "Fuck if I know the fucker"?

Sorry. I still contend that the show's dialogue is hilariously bad. Other than that, it's pretty nifty, tho.

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2005, 10:30:21 AM »

Quote from: "elpollodiablo"
You mean the same Deadwood responsible for such glorious bits of  interlocution as "Fuck if I know the fucker"?

why don't you just tattoo "i hate fun" on your forehead?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2005, 02:03:38 PM »

I'm afraid of pain.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2005, 10:52:15 AM »

24 is a very good show if you watch the DVD box set all in a row, because it keeps your disbelief suspended.  The first half of season 1 is probably the best.  Season 2 is good, but the Kim stuff is fucking ridiculous (no! watch! out! for! cougars!) and it pretty much devolves into Jack shouting "WHERE IS THE BOMB?!" and then "WHERE IS THE CYPRUS AUDIO?!"  every five seconds.  Season 3 is just bad and absurd.  Season 4 is good, but has the same problems as Season 2.  Plus, in Season 4 there's that episode where Amnesty International aids terrorists.  That'll angry up the blood.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
diesel_powered

« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2005, 06:47:24 PM »

So, just to hijack the topic and steer it careening into different territory...

Does anyone think that the DVD is going to give rise to DVD-only productions of any quality? Perhaps even causing cable companies to get worried about losing market share?

I mean, technology has already made the commerical obsolete. And there are probably a good number of people out there (myself included) that skip over cable for DVDs. Personally, I couldn't care less about spending $1,200 a year on cable (HBO included) when I can just wait and buy a season of a show on DVD. And with certain shows behaving more like extended miniseries these days (remember when a "season" consisted of 28+ episodes?) it's getting more and more affordable to be buying each series rather than worrying about commercials or naughty bits being bleeped out at the risk of offending parents of children who should be spending more time worrying about why the hell their children are watching late-night premium cable and not sleeping and less time bitching about how the networks won't do their job for them.

Thoughts?

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
dieblucasdie

« Reply #11 on: Aug 20, 2005, 10:15:52 PM »

Yeah it'll happen more and more.  Shows like Firefly and Wonderfalls and Freaks and Geeks made a mint on DVD sales even though they weren't commercially viable on TV.  It won't be long before some network exec orders episodes of a show while not intending to actually air them.  Which, given the way contracting actors works for TV, could end up with more of the British model where a show does 1 to 3 thirteen episode seasons rather than what happens now, where every show:

1)  Gets cancelled after 5 episodes
or
2) Goes on for fourteen seasons

1) leaves fans annoyed and wanting more, 2) drags a show out past it's prime.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: 24
Jump to: