Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 23, 2014, 09:40:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658209 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 56 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: San Francisco recommendations  (Read 16142 times)
mauoz

« on: Sep 01, 2005, 04:08:46 AM »

Bit of a random question, but does anyone have any recommendations of good places to see live music in San Francisco? Or good daytime places, interesting cafes to hang out, that sort of thing...

I'm from England and have no idea what I'm doing.  I'll be there next week on work stuff, but I'll have the Friday and Saturday to explore San Francisco. I'll be on my own, so if anyone knows of places that you can happily turn up alone, I'd really appreciate it...

mackro

« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2005, 04:42:52 AM »

*trying
really
hard
not
to
self
promote*

i'm not sexiest yet know know
db

« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2005, 04:49:02 AM »

Quote from: "mackro"
*trying
really
hard
not
to
self
promote*

You might as well; look at mauoz's posts in Earbuds & Departure Lounge.

I didn't write that; it was on some asshole's website.
alexandra

« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2005, 10:07:41 AM »

there's a good art gallery at 111 Minna, watch out though... the art may be awesome, but the gallery can be shady and pricey if you show up at a time they're having a show/club bullshit.

check out flavorpill for the going-ons. you've just missing a vanderslice show.

PLEASE DEAR GOD go buy a record at Amoeba

this place is a little too hip, but i heard its good.

i usually stick to berkeley and oakland when i'm down there though, but the city is a good time.

this message is now diamonds
alexandra

« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2005, 10:11:33 AM »

OH MY! go get breakfast at Squat and Gobble

specifically the one in west portal  Drool  Drool  Heart

this message is now diamonds
db

« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2005, 02:56:17 PM »

Quote from: "alexandra"
PLEASE DEAR GOD go buy a record at Amoeba

Or Aquarius Records.

I didn't write that; it was on some asshole's website.
swilkes

« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2005, 04:08:43 PM »

This old thread might help.
chalaza

« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2005, 04:02:05 AM »

I second Amoeba and Aquarius records (but moreso Amoeba). I haven't been to the other places though. For fantastic crepes, try Crepes on Cole on cole st. three blocks south, I think, of haight st. Haight st. has a ton of cool thrift stores and book stores and Amoeba records is on that street so you'll have to check it out anyway. I like to jump around on the dunes at ocean beach or just walk around there, and that is on the west coast of SF. The N-Judah muni line goes there... For some great views of the bay, I'd suggest going on the other side of the golden gate and there is this vista point just to the west of it (if going north on the bridge) and it is a good hike across the bridge and up the hill. It's well worth if isn't foggy, but even then it looks pretty cool.

Good places to see shows is at Bottom of the Hill
( http://www.bottomofthehill.com ) or maybe Cafe du Nord.

Hopefully that may help.

satori.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2005, 10:34:32 AM »

Quote from: "chalaza"
For some great views of the bay, I'd suggest going on the other side of the golden gate and there is this vista point just to the west of it (if going north on the bridge) and it is a good hike across the bridge and up the hill. It's well worth if isn't foggy, but even then it looks pretty cool.

i've been right past that place but never stopped. if you're a dave eggers fan, you might enjoy knowing that the end of "heartbreaking work of staggering genius" takes place there.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Shelley

« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2005, 01:17:57 PM »

The Marin Headlands (of which Chalaza and Andrew speak) are beautiful. Also, there are grassy hills along the physical center of SF which are great for climbing and vista-ing. To name a few obvious and accessible ones: Corona Heights  just above the Castro,  Twin Peaks- seen when looking west up Market, Bernal Hill if you are in the Mission/ Excelsior area...
If you are in the East Bay I would say check out the Albany Bulb which is a landfill/dump taken over as park and place of residence right on the bay. People who live there have built a castle and a whole fun house gallery.

As for going out alone in SF, well, probably due to my poor social skills I always go out alone and sometimes it is awkward, but I usually have a good time and run into friends and talk to strangers. So I say that lots of places are good for going out alone. And now-a-days I can speak mostly only for my neighborhood since I have been sluggish, but I suggest just doing a Valencia stroll between 22nd and 14th Streets, going up or down the numbered streets when things look interesting and Mission from 16th all the way out to past 30th St. 16th and Mission is really sketchy but that melts away by 18th St.
Here and here are a couple of places to look for stuff to do.
If you look in a free weekly you,Aeoll find club listings for bands, and here are some places that might be less obvious:
-The Eagle Tavern on 12th & Howard for Thursday Night Live shows
-Baobab on 19th St at Mission for African food and dancing and socializing and drinking
-El Balazo/ Mission Badlands Gallery on Mission at 18th St. for weekend shows
-Amnesia on Valencia btwn 19th & 20th St. I could not go in there for years after it changed from the Chameleon, mostly because I LOVED the Chameleon, and Amnesia looked just like the Chameleon with a new coat of paint and an attempt to upscale the decor. Then a few weeks ago I found myself going there to see the Rabbles and I had a blast. There was a smattering of Chameleon regulars, but best of all, far from nostalgia, after 5 or so years the sheen has worn off and a whole new era of non-yuppified San Franciscan has found the inner glory of the bar.
Places where I eat these days:
Ali Baba's Cave on 19th and Valencia for Felafel! Bombay Ice Creamery on Valencia near 16th for samosas and chickpeas and curries! Sun Flower on 16th for Vietnamese, across the street Ti Cous for crepes, Atlas Cafe on 20th and Alabama for sandwiches, El Patio where Valencia meets Mission for pupusas...
This may be part of why I have a hard time leaving the Mission.
Some last things: if you are up for an event on Weds. night I recommend  this. And Saturday 9/10 Film Night in the Park showing BULLITT in  Dolores Park, 8:00 PM.
jess

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2010, 02:22:42 PM »

Necro!

Any current lptjers have more San Francisco tips? Going to SF tomorrow, for a conference, will be there through Tues morning, then Palo Alto for a few days with my parents to visit fam friends for Thanksgiving. While in SF, I'll be busy with conf stuff during the day at first, but would love any suggestions for places to get food and drinks, especially any near Union Square (where the conf is). Also I'll have a day and a half to do whatever I want, so any other tips are welcome. On my list already are Chinatown and a Mission burrito, foodwise, and also just some good wandering around the city time.
Greg Nog

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2010, 02:49:25 PM »

You should check out the Federation Council!
Antero

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2010, 03:35:21 PM »

If you have an interest in fancy cocktails, I've got a list of SF places that is quite extensive.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
jess

« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2010, 03:39:21 PM »

I definitely enjoy fancy cocktails! One of my SF friends is a fellow lover of rye-based drinks (he introduced me to the wonderfulness that is the Toronto, which is now one of my favorite drinks), and he told me he already has one place in mind to take me, so I would be curious to see if it's on your list (he hasn't told me where).
Bernard

« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2010, 05:43:39 PM »

Tartine (pastries, sandwiches), Bi-rite (next door to Tartine, ice cream),  and Mama's (breakfast) are the three spots I never skip when I go to SF. I almost always get an Irish coffee at the Buena Vista too, tourists be damned, but that may be too cliche for your tastes.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
milesofsparks

« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2010, 07:10:53 PM »

I can't skip Golden Boy Pizza, City Lights Books, Caffe Trieste, a burrito from the Mission, dinner in Chinatown (just saw you already listed these two!), and lots of aimless wandering when I'm there.  oh, and I'd love to go to Miette, but it wasn't yet open last time I was there.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
Antero

« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2010, 09:01:53 PM »

I definitely enjoy fancy cocktails! One of my SF friends is a fellow lover of rye-based drinks (he introduced me to the wonderfulness that is the Toronto, which is now one of my favorite drinks), and he told me he already has one place in mind to take me, so I would be curious to see if it's on your list (he hasn't told me where).
Alembic, on Haight, is my default.  Order a Vice Grip. 
Rickhouse, in the Financial District, is wonderful.
Smuggler's Cove is rum paradise.  Real, actual, honest-to-goodness fucking tiki drinks.
The Clock Bar is kind of hotel-lounge hip but the drinks are great.
Heaven's Dog has a badass old-school menu.

Those would be my first choices.

DCDave

« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »

Beretta is the best cocktail place.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Antero

« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2010, 10:36:03 PM »

It's good, but I don't think it's #1.  Their repertoire leans towards tall drinks with fresh citrus/herbs, which is cool and all but a spirit-heavy approach is more likely to have me singing the gospel.

The Mariachi at Rickhouse is one of the best drinks I've ever had, hands down.  Same for the Vice Grip at Alembic, and the 4 oz Painkiller at Smuggler's Cove.

Also, I didn't like being in the physical space of Beretta as much as other places.  Alembic is an incredibly comfortable environment, and Smuggler's Cove is like getting trashed while waiting in line for Pirates Of The Caribbean which, I mean, how can you go wrong.

I need to hit NOPA next time I'm in SF, I think.  Haven't done that one yet.

jess

« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2010, 12:31:26 AM »

Thanks guys, these are awesome! And Bernard's are making me huuuungry. I will report back. Smile
cold before sunrise

« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2010, 04:06:00 AM »

Just promise to take on Amoeba Records (with a full wallet, it's an amazing place) and avoid the Endup at all costs. I went there once and got stalked for 6 months but it's an all-around bad spot, for serious, it was an unbelievably lame after-hours. Don't go there!

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
Maaik

« Reply #21 on: Aug 08, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »

NNNNNEEEEECRRROOOOOO

Hey, a friend of mine is going to be in SF for a couple nights in mid-November.  She's a small, awesome woman looking for a couch.  Can any LPTJers accommodate?

I need anne the man lessons
dieblucasdie

« Reply #22 on: Aug 09, 2011, 02:25:46 AM »

I cannot, but shout outs mauoz!

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
peacocks

« Reply #23 on: Aug 09, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »

I actually found a couple good places in Oakland through couchsurfer for when I go to the bay area at the end of this month. There are probably way more people on there in San Fran. It was stressing me out at first but she should try it.

dick-check your priviledge
peacocks

« Reply #24 on: Aug 15, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »

HEY ANTERO you went to san fran for your bar exam? How'd that go? Also, what cool shit did you do?

dick-check your priviledge
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: San Francisco recommendations
Jump to: