Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 20, 2014, 08:47:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657896 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 79 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Author Topic: thank deities its football season again  (Read 26742 times)
VJHStarr

« Reply #300 on: Nov 14, 2006, 09:27:02 AM »

Not happening!
gibber

« Reply #301 on: Nov 14, 2006, 12:30:05 PM »

Quote from: "dieblucasdie"
My predictions:

National Title:  Ohio State vs. Rutgers  (Scarlet Knights win out jumping everyone, USC loses to ND, every SEC team that loses a game lowers FLA's BCS rating.)

Orange Bowl: Georgia Tech vs. Arkansas (Toss-up between AR and WI, but BCS gives in to SEC hype.  GA Tech wins ACC.)

Sugar Bowl:  Florida vs.  Notre Dame (FLA wins SEC, misses title game).

Also note the massive shitstorm that would happen if Rutgers jump one-loss FLA and one-loss ND.  A more likely result is FLA in the title game and Rutgers in Sugar Bowl, but fuck it, this is what I want to see.  As an ND  diehard, I'd get much more satisfaction of stomping that overrated FLA team than getting moidered by OSU or beating up on poor ol' Rutgers.

ok, but florida won't beat arkansas. the way both teams have been playing, the razorbacks are twice the team florida is.

shhh, it's me.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #302 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:02:08 PM »

Yeah, the ACC and the SEC are the tossups this year.  I just don't think AR is as good as advertised.  I think GA Tech is better than advertised.

Any game other than the first game of the year I think GA Tech woulda beat ND.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
davy

« Reply #303 on: Nov 15, 2006, 06:42:15 PM »

Yeah, the ACC and the SEC are the tossups this year.  I just don't think AR is as good as advertised.  I think GA Tech is better than advertised.

backwards!

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #304 on: Nov 17, 2006, 08:34:44 PM »

Quote from: "fygmynt"

backwards!

Of course you gonna say that, but you ain't gonna say it when Tech beats the Dawgs.

Also, one of the sales managers in my office is an ND alum, one is an Army alum.  They placed a bet on this weekend's game.  The ND alum gave the West Point alum 29 points.  

If Army beats us, I'd actually be kinda happy.  Not as happy as I'll be the year Navy finally beats us, though.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #305 on: Nov 18, 2006, 02:46:22 PM »

The Green jerseys?  Are you kidding me?  Worst idea ever.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #306 on: Nov 18, 2006, 04:50:09 PM »

YES, I hope OSU runs up the score in this game.  If it turns into a close game, Michigan might stay #2.  They need to drop to 7 or so.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #307 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:03:39 PM »

things could change if rutgers beats west virginia on dec. 2, though.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #308 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:09:34 PM »

I read that Rutgers won't be in the championship game even if they go undefeated. Schedule wasn't hard enough apparently. I've got no beefs with that at all either. If you don't play a sufficiently difficult schedule, you've got no right to be in the running for the championship game. Really, though, this is why they need an 8-team playoff in colleg football.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #309 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:51:38 PM »

If Rutgers goes undefeated they'll probably go to the title game.  If they beat WV, it will help their strength of schedule.  Particularly since either ND or USC HAS to lose, and either FLA or AR HAS to lose.  That's two spots up right there.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #310 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:53:07 PM »

Quote from: "RavingLunatic"
I read that Rutgers won't be in the championship game even if they go undefeated. Schedule wasn't hard enough apparently. I've got no beefs with that at all either. If you don't play a sufficiently difficult schedule, you've got no right to be in the running for the championship game. Really, though, this is why they need an 8-team playoff in colleg football.

dude, i'm sure rutgers' schedule is right up there with usc's at least.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #311 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:55:39 PM »

USC lost to effin' Washington State.  It's inexplicable to me that they're ahead of any other one-loss teams, let alone an undefeated team with a win against a top 10 team.

slow west vultures

« Reply #312 on: Nov 18, 2006, 08:30:32 PM »

Oregon State, but who's counting  :wink:  the pac-10 is so weak this year that i'm surprised USC is still the #3 BCS.  i think its just the fact they are USC and were so dominant the past three years.  this years team seem like last years JV.  i would be really disappointed if they ended up in the national championship game.

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
mountmccabe

« Reply #313 on: Nov 18, 2006, 08:36:22 PM »

It was a damned good game.  The first drive was the best part.

Troy Smith threw the ball all over the field and those running backs kept breaking big TD runs.

You know a pancake?
dieblucasdie

« Reply #314 on: Nov 18, 2006, 08:38:52 PM »

The good guys won Smile

The BCS rankings tomorrow will be muy intersante.

Even moreso after the ND/USC game and the SEC title game, no matter what the outcome of those games.

Even though Michigan IS the second-best team in the country, I think someone else should get a shot at OSU.

Bob Davie made a good point during the game today, too, that the two teams that play for the title after a fuckin' 50 day break have way less to do with the Best Team in College Football This Year than the game today.

mountmccabe

« Reply #315 on: Nov 18, 2006, 08:47:31 PM »

Also Rutgers is down 17-0 to Cincinnati.

Davie's point may be good but I don't know where that gets anybody... unless that is supposed to be an argument for scrapping the post-season entirely or (my personal favorite) killing all the hype about national championships and the meanings of the bowl games being their meaning as bowl games in and of themselves.

Not that I'm trying to start anything... Smile

You know a pancake?
dieblucasdie

« Reply #316 on: Nov 18, 2006, 08:57:04 PM »

Mine would be having playoffs right at the end of the regular season.

Yeah, I knew an undefeated Rutgers was a pipe dream.

Anyways, the winner of the SEC title game, or the winner of the USC/ND game should go to the National Championship.  Depends if the SEC champ has 1 loss or 2.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #317 on: Nov 19, 2006, 02:05:53 AM »

christ on a crutch, i can't believe rutgers blew it against FUCKING CINCINNATI of all teams. west virginia would have been understandable, but this... i am entirely poleaxed by this development.

meanwhile, mountmccabe, you seem to have this weird idea that bowl games can have any meaning outside of determining which teams are the best. seriously, that makes NO SENSE. if they don't mean that, then they don't mean ANYTHING.

in fact, they used to not mean anything back in the 50s and shit. my friend brandon has this documentary box set about the history of college football, and they'll talk about jim brown and syracuse going to the rose bowl in 1955 or whatever ranked number 1 and losing to some unranked team. that makes NO SENSE.

i guess the problem here is that i came into college ball late. i'm used to the pros, where people have reasons for the shit they do. college football is the single most illogical sport i've ever encountered, and my fatal flaw is that i'm always trying to bend it to my will. like, god damn it you WILL make sense, NOW! and i think a lot of other people are trying to do this too, but boy is college football fighting back hard against such a thing.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #318 on: Nov 19, 2006, 02:58:32 AM »

It's true.  mountmccabe's point is "College football is different.  It's about giving 'teh kidz' a good cap for their season and not about crowning a champ.  Like the pro playoffs are.  I have SOME sympathy for this view, as it's more romantic, and that's the kind of guy I am, but I think that it's ALREADY about crowning a champ, so why not give up the pretense?  $$$$$$$$ is the only real reason not to give up the pretense.  And that ain't romantic.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #319 on: Nov 19, 2006, 01:22:05 PM »

OK, how does a win against 3-8 Miss. St. warrant AR jumping ND in the Coaches Poll?  WTF.  WTF.  If Michigan is THAT good, pollsters, why isn't ND ranked higher and USC/AR/FLA lower?

slow west vultures

« Reply #320 on: Nov 19, 2006, 02:40:04 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"

meanwhile, mountmccabe, you seem to have this weird idea that bowl games can have any meaning outside of determining which teams are the best. seriously, that makes NO SENSE. if they don't mean that, then they don't mean ANYTHING.

do you really think the cooper tire bowl is about determining who is the better #4th ranked Conference USA vs. #3 Mountain West team (or whatever the matchup may be)  half the fans could probably care less. they want to see a good game and have fun, but outside of the national championship game and maybe a few others the games don't have a whole lot of meaning.  they're just a way for the alumni to have fun and travel to see their team.  if it was really a way of hashing out who's the 15th vs. 16th team in the country, i think the fans would start to lose interest.  it would be nice to have some closure on the season and not leave everything up to one game based on computer ranking, but unless everybody gets on board with some kind of definitive play off season (in the midst of finals and christmas breaks for the players no less) i don't think the system is going to change much.  there should be some better way for the top 5 or 6 teams that really deserve a shot to see if they are the best team in the country at the end of the season though, i'm just not sure if they could get every program to commit to the logistics of such an undertaking.

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
RavingLunatic

« Reply #321 on: Nov 19, 2006, 02:50:05 PM »

Quote from: "slow west vultures"
Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"

do you really think the cooper tire bowl is about determining who is the better #4th ranked Conference USA vs. #3 Mountain West team (or whatever the matchup may be)  half the fans could probably care less. they want to see a good game and have fun, but outside of the national championship game and maybe a few others the games don't have a whole lot of meaning.

I think the teams involved would beg to differ. And furthermore, no one is proposing a 32-team playoff or something. Just 8 teams, probably, so no one can complain that they deserved to be national champs but weren't given the chance because of the way the polls worked out.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #322 on: Nov 19, 2006, 03:22:39 PM »

I think everyone's in agreement that the current system is pretty damn meaningless.  If you care about crowning a national champion, then have playoffs.  If you don't care about crowning a national champion, then keep the bowl system and don't even bother with computers and pollsters and that bullshit.  

Yeah, I don't konw if having sportswriters vote for a champ, or having computers pick a champ is more meaningless.

mountmccabe

« Reply #323 on: Nov 19, 2006, 04:41:29 PM »

I think everyone's in agreement that the current system is pretty damn meaningless.  If you care about crowning a national champion, then have playoffs.  If you don't care about crowning a national champion, then keep the bowl system and don't even bother with computers and pollsters and that bullshit.

Yeah, I don't konw if having sportswriters vote for a champ, or having computers pick a champ is more meaningless.

IAWTC

You know a pancake?
Echoes

« Reply #324 on: Nov 19, 2006, 05:03:43 PM »

grey cup today, dudes
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: thank deities its football season again
Jump to: