Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 20, 2014, 01:57:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658103 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16
Print
Author Topic: thank deities its football season again  (Read 26817 times)
mountmccabe

« Reply #350 on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:43:19 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
the thing is, mountmccabe, you're the only person i've ever heard raise objections to a playoff system on those grounds.

I'm not sure I've heard anyone make that arguement either.  My point was not to knock the World Series, though.  I love the World Series.  And I hope MLB is finally done fiddling with the system and adding playoff teams and all.  I'm not old enough to miss the time when there was just a World Series but I do kinda miss it being just the LCS and then the WS.

What I was doing was pointing out that there is very little discussion on subjects like that for playoff systems.  I'm not sure what it is about a tournament bracket that shuts everybody up.

At any rate there's little talk about who's the best team in MLB, it's about who's going to make the playoffs and who's going to win the World Series.  Same with the NFL, who's the Super Bowl favorite this year?

When it comes to sports I am a traditionalist.  This is one area where I'm not going to give changes the benefit of the doubt.

Before the BCS what you talked about regards to NCAAF was who was going to what bowls and who was the best team.  What bowl are we going to go to.  Who's #1.  Plus the #1 thing was something that was rarely actually played out in a bowl or during a late-season game so it could be debated, endlessly.  

That's at the core of what I don't like about the BCS.  It is changing the story of college football.  It's now about who's going to make it to the Championship Game.  Nothing else matters.  Even the complaining about how bad the BCS is is really about who it's going to put in the National Championship Game.

If/when they move to a tournament it's going to be about who's gonna make the playoffs and who's gonna win the final game rather than about who's the best team.  

And the bowls will be dead, dying or, worst case scenario, assimilated.

Fuck that noise.

You know a pancake?
dumbfish

« Reply #351 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:26:03 AM »

Tonight, a group of friends was watching MNF, and the BCS came up.  My Penn State-diehard friend said, "So, Florida and OSU, huh?  Whaddaya think about that?"  Shrugs all around.  Direct question to the other known college football fanatic in the group: "Don't you think Michigan got screwed?"  "Yeah, but whatever."  And we went back to making fun of Keyshawn Johnson's whining.

They were more interested in a midseason matchup of two mediocre NFC teams than the college postseason.  Even serious college football fans (between them, these two guys had been to every UNC home game + a couple of UGA and PSU games) are bored with the BCS and its "controversies."  (Quotes because people have to care for a controversy to exist.)  The old bowl arguments mccabe seems to love were just as tiresome.  He's just got retrospective nostalgia going.  Or he's really really weird.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
gibber

« Reply #352 on: Dec 05, 2006, 10:25:42 AM »

oh man.

the outback bowl on jan. 1 sounds pretty good to these ears, after a 5-6 season last year.

Razz

next year, if ainge and meachem (who easily broke the single season receiving record at tennessee--formerly known as Wide Receiver U.--this year) both stick around, the vols could be hot-to-trot. we were a young, inexperienced team this year in some crucial areas, and the only team to beat us squarely was arkansas. we came within 1 point of maybe-national-champs florida, and 4 points of LSU.

honestly? if ainge and meachem stick around? they're both legitimate heisman contenders. it'll be the first time since i've been around that tennessee has had that kind of star power.

shhh, it's me.
dumbfish

« Reply #353 on: Dec 05, 2006, 11:14:54 AM »

The optimism of college football fans is heartwarming.  The aforementioned CFB fanatics were giving their predictions for next season.  

PSU guy:  "Gonna be great next year.  We got everybody back, and we were good this year.  Every team that beat us is in the top ten.  <muttering> 'Course, there were four of them..."

And UNC guy seems to think they'll be in a bowl next year.  Which would be pretty remarkable, if you saw UNC this year.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #354 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:23:58 AM »

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
dumbfish

« Reply #355 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:03:01 AM »

1:45:32 pm Receiver goes down, photographer snaps image
1:46:00 Receiver stays down, photographer begins checking his shots
1:46:30 Photographer sees this one.
1:46:35 "Awesome, I got the shot!"
1:47:00 Photographer vomits
1:49:00 Receiver vomits, photographer fails to snap image

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #356 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »

that was in our first round playoff game.  We're playing tonight!  check you espn2 schedules! game starts 5:30 pm MST.  Look for a drunk freddy in the south corner endzone.

mountmccabe

« Reply #357 on: Jan 01, 2007, 04:46:48 PM »

This morning I was watching four good college football games and it was awesome.

Now the Rose Bowl is about to start so yay.

Also I was just offered tickets to the Fiesta Bowl for free but I don't know that I will go because my friends aren't around/available.

You know a pancake?
theartlessmonster

« Reply #358 on: Jan 01, 2007, 05:00:37 PM »

it's still football season? Jesus it lasts forever!

Don't be a swiss roll.
mountmccabe

« Reply #359 on: Jan 01, 2007, 05:03:45 PM »

The Super Bowl isn't until February.

You know a pancake?
theartlessmonster

« Reply #360 on: Jan 01, 2007, 05:07:41 PM »

oh. heh. sorry, this is why i stay out of sports talk i know nothing.

Don't be a swiss roll.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #361 on: Jan 01, 2007, 05:28:07 PM »

football season doesn't last forever. BASEBALL season lasts forever.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Good Intentions

« Reply #362 on: Jan 01, 2007, 05:43:14 PM »

You should follow sports played internationally, where when the season ends in the northern hemishpere the action shifts to the southern, and vice versa.
El_Josharino

« Reply #363 on: Jan 01, 2007, 06:10:11 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
football season doesn't last forever. BASEBALL season lasts forever.

If only...

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
jebreject

« Reply #364 on: Jan 01, 2007, 07:49:34 PM »

THAT FUCKING PACKERS GAME TOTALLY RULED

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #365 on: Jan 01, 2007, 07:52:10 PM »

THAT FUCKING BEARS GAME TOTALLY SUCKED

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
davy

« Reply #366 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:35:27 PM »

fucking outback bowl. Evil or Very Mad

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #367 on: Jan 02, 2007, 12:58:43 AM »

dudes.

the boise state v ou game was fucking pimp,

that OT fake for the two point conversion was the biggest pimp slap I've ever seen in my life

mountmccabe

« Reply #368 on: Jan 02, 2007, 01:22:25 AM »

Wow, that game got real interesting eventually.  22 points in the final 86 seconds of regulation, damn.

Also, yeah, that's way ballsy, going for 2 in the first OT.

You know a pancake?
dumbfish

« Reply #369 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:35:12 PM »

I'm aware that the board has a number of New Englanders, and that your team is virtuous and scrappy and true and that to not love them is to not love life itself, but...

My dislike for the Patriots just went up a notch.  I'm a Dolphins fan, so that's tough to do.  At some point, they won't get every single break over the course of a game, and they'll lose lose lose.    

And on that day I will sing the happy songs.

slow west vultures

« Reply #370 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:51:17 PM »

i'm right there with you dumbfish.  i don't know how they won that game, and i hope the colts freaking stomp them.  but i'll have this sick suspicion that they'll win on some fluke until i actually see them beaten to the turf.  at least indy gets a conference championship game.

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
Lucy

« Reply #371 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:11:32 PM »

crazy game, but YAY PATS!!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #372 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:09:26 AM »

yeah, i also was horrified at the patriots win today.

but you know what's going to happen? they're going to hit the championship game against indianapolis, and it's gonna be down to the wire like it was the last couple times those two teams met in the championship game. then, once again, adam vinatieri will kick the winning field goal...

only this year, VINATIERI PLAYS FOR THE COLTS.

that wasn't gatorade they dumped on belichick, it was HUBRIS.*

*--for the record, i don't know if anyone's ever dumped gatorade on belichick after a super bowl win, but it's become a cliche ever since the 1986 giants did it to bill parcells, so i assumed it happened so that i could make this joke.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #373 on: Jan 21, 2007, 03:46:51 PM »

BEEAAAARRRRRRSSS!!!!

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #374 on: Jan 21, 2007, 06:38:47 PM »

Quote from: "YojimboMonkey"
BEEAAAARRRRRRSSS!!!!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: thank deities its football season again
Jump to: