Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 20, 2014, 09:01:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658102 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 44 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Print
Author Topic: The Insomnia Thread  (Read 36814 times)
G.C.R

« Reply #450 on: Jun 09, 2008, 05:51:16 PM »

Not really insomnia, which I am lucky to have never really had much, but man, my sleep is so disturbed at the moment. I swear I get up needing to pee around six times every night. So not cool, especially considering how cold it is.

Just checking, but you're not unusually thirsty (and possibly hungry) lately also, are you?

No, but I am starting to worry about my constantly aching back. I thought it was because I've been sleeping curled in a ball, tight and tense for the past 2 weeks since its been so cold, but with the needing to get up I'm starting to fear for my kidneys

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Stalingrad

« Reply #451 on: Jun 13, 2008, 05:38:08 AM »

Soooo super awesome. I found an outlet for my insomnia, which ironically makes me even more of an insomniac.

I have a night baking job at Atlanta Bread, and now I go to bed at like... 5 or 6 in the morning! Hooray this thread is definitely my new best friend.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #452 on: Jun 13, 2008, 05:42:09 AM »

I can haz free pastries?

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Ignatius

« Reply #453 on: Jun 13, 2008, 05:42:40 AM »

Do you work with a lot of other night-bakers?  I don't know how big of an operation Atlanta Bread is, but that seems like the kind of shift where you can do all kinds of weird stuff on your lunch break.
Stalingrad

« Reply #454 on: Jun 13, 2008, 05:44:44 AM »

I can haz free pastries?

Fuck yeah if you come to Kansas City to get them...!

And to Ignatius- No I don't work with anyone else. Just me, a giant oven, and my music. And for the record Atlanta Bread is basically the same thing as a Panera if you know what that is...
Ignatius

« Reply #455 on: Jun 13, 2008, 05:48:38 AM »

I do, but you're in KC?!  Where's Atlanta Bread there?  I was surprised by how many local food-industries they had when I worked there...  Like all the groceries had local pitas and hummus, and other stuff.  And I thought all Missourians obstinately referred to Panera as St. Louis Bread Co.
Stalingrad

« Reply #456 on: Jun 13, 2008, 05:51:30 AM »

There's one in Overland Park out by Deer Creek Woods and the one I work at is in Lee's Summit.. Over by all those shops I've never really seen in the daylight before. But come by and get a muffin at 2 in the morning.

Actually don't that would be a little weird.

And as for St. Louis Bread- I don't know, I think it's only called such down south.
Ignatius

« Reply #457 on: Jun 13, 2008, 06:01:57 AM »

I've worked in Overland Park and Gladstone and Kansas City, Kansas, and lived in a hotel close to Westport, but I've never been out that way.  I don't live anywhere near there right now, but I really liked it when I was out there, and I'm always excited to hear people remind of things that I did like.
Stalingrad

« Reply #458 on: Jun 13, 2008, 06:05:30 AM »

Aw that's groovy. An old haggard lady once told me whilst I was walking my dog that I should be careful because the "Westport Riffraff may come and cause me some trouble"! (I live in the Plaza area) I always tell the Westport Riffraff I know to stay on their side of 43rd.
Good times, I guess. I think KC is a lot cooler if you don't actually live here.
El_Josharino

« Reply #459 on: Jun 13, 2008, 08:31:28 AM »

So if I'm going to be in Kansas City next weekend, I can has free pastries?

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
Stalingrad

« Reply #460 on: Jun 13, 2008, 11:17:09 AM »

Spooky! Maybe. Do ya feel lucky punk? Well? Do ya?

Actually it may be worth your time to just buy some instead of spending 10 bucks on gas going out and picking them up.

In fact I'm telling you it is.
El_Josharino

« Reply #461 on: Jun 13, 2008, 11:43:40 AM »

Okay. Actually, I'm only going to be in Kearney, MO, so not quite all the way to KC.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
Stalingrad

« Reply #462 on: Jun 13, 2008, 12:34:37 PM »

I admittedly have no idea where Kearney is. It probably sucks, like the rest of Missouri (sans St. Louis)
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #463 on: Jun 13, 2008, 12:39:46 PM »

Not fond of much of St. Louis either to be honest.  Though I did have a good time at the Schafly brewpub last time I was there.  And I lived a half-block off Delmar in U-City for a summer 15 years ago or so and that was alright.  But mostly St. Louis is pretty shitty.

OH!  City Museum was fucking cool too.

OK maybe St. Louis is alright.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Stalingrad

« Reply #464 on: Jun 13, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »

Haha yeah City museum is boss. I know Shlafly's like.. I dunno it would be like grand daughter or something. Random bit of info.
coldforge

« Reply #465 on: Jun 13, 2008, 12:50:47 PM »

I admittedly have no idea where Kearney is.
is a very interesting sentence. Normally, 'admittedly' refers to a behavior that somebody has admitted to. But I don't believe you had yet admitted that you didn't know where Kearney was; in fact, due to the fact that you were referring to yourself (itself a rarity with 'admittedly'), you were able to admit your ignorance at the same time that you referred to it. So the conventionally descriptional 'admittedly' takes on the power of a speech act.

It should be further noted, however, that the sentence doesn't actually work linearly. Because by the time you said 'admittedly', you hadn't yet told us that you didn't know where Kearney was. So in fact the sentence requires a recursive approach, and only makes total sense if we understand the whole of it before we get to the end. Which is remarkable, because the fact that we do understand the sentence indicates that this is precisely how we process language.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Stalingrad

« Reply #466 on: Jun 13, 2008, 12:56:47 PM »

I make shit up.
slow west vultures

« Reply #467 on: Jun 13, 2008, 08:33:03 PM »

Soooo super awesome. I found an outlet for my insomnia, which ironically makes me even more of an insomniac.

I have a night baking job at Atlanta Bread, and now I go to bed at like... 5 or 6 in the morning! Hooray this thread is definitely my new best friend.

Marge, its 4 am! . . . shouldn't you be baking?

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
Stalingrad

« Reply #468 on: Jun 13, 2008, 08:39:10 PM »

Marge, its 4 am! . . . shouldn't you be baking?

What? Pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen?

Am I missing something?
C of heartbreak

« Reply #469 on: Jun 13, 2008, 09:16:56 PM »

What is it with people not getting simpsons references? Don't they teach this stuff in schools?

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
Stalingrad

« Reply #470 on: Jun 13, 2008, 09:26:35 PM »

Shit. I haven't watched the Simpsons in forever. I'm more of a Family Guy/ Futurama/ South Park lady.
slow west vultures

« Reply #471 on: Jun 13, 2008, 09:48:15 PM »

ah, well i didn't know you were a lady.  sorry.  its from the simpsons where marge has a huge fear of flying reawakened in her, and so she does all this stuff around the house to compensate, including making her family meal after delicious meal.  homer wakes up in the middle of the night to hear her fixing the roof, and asks the question in quotations.

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
diesel_powered

« Reply #472 on: Jun 14, 2008, 12:44:06 AM »

There's one in Overland Park out by Deer Creek Woods and the one I work at is in Lee's Summit.. Over by all those shops I've never really seen in the daylight before. But come by and get a muffin at 2 in the morning.

Actually don't that would be a little weird.

And as for St. Louis Bread- I don't know, I think it's only called such down south.

Ha! I totally know where Lee's Summit is! One of my good friends is from there and I helped him move last August.

Plus, it's also where one of the megachurches from Jesus Camp is located.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #473 on: Jun 14, 2008, 03:04:57 PM »

i like all this talk of missouri being weird and crappy, fresh on the heels of my having spent 5 days there. it IS weird and crappy, definitely! things i will mention, in the form of a numbered list:

1) i was in festus, a town about 45 minutes south of st. louis. they have "st. louis bread company" there.

2) they also have multiple big green billboards there that just say, in huge white capital letters, "JESUS". upon first seeing one of those, i cracked up laughing. my friend rob's wife (i was in missouri for rob's wedding, for anyone who didn't catch that from one of my other posts about this subject) turned to rob and said, "why is he laughing at that billboard? i don't get it." rob's response: "culture shock! they don't have anything like that in virginia." she was surprised to hear of this.

3) st. louis and the surrounding counties are very segregated. it's not a legal thing, but it is a de facto thing, and it seems to lead to a lot of weird tension between the races. pretty much every missouri native that i met was racist, at least on a passive/unconscious level. out there, if you're not burning a cross or whatever, you can apparently consider yourself non-racist. meanwhile, you can apparently also make statements along the lines of "see, there's black people, and then there's n***ers" and feel like you're not being racist in saying such things.

4) people out there seem to find the idea of someone being liberal as completely foreign. i got strange looks every time i even mentioned barack obama in conversation, from people not involved in the conversation at all. even the punks i met were conservative--one of rob's good friends was at the wedding rehearsal in an against me t-shirt, so i figured we might have some stuff in common, but through conversation i almost immediately discovered that he was one of those pro-life born-again holy-roller pop-punkers, and that he was planning on voting for john mccain. this despite the fact that the clash and against me are his favorite bands.

missouri is fucking weird. and lame.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Stalingrad

« Reply #474 on: Jun 15, 2008, 03:15:39 AM »

Oh man, DP. Good thing the doors are locked at night. But I have no idea why you would want to go back to such a shithole..

I should have chosen another state to go to school in :/
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: The Insomnia Thread
Jump to: