Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 01, 2014, 04:24:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40
Print
Author Topic: Need tech support? post it here!  (Read 77199 times)
diesel_powered

« Reply #925 on: Jan 09, 2007, 01:58:22 PM »

Just to go out on a limb here, try downloading Temperature Sensor and setting it up to put all your temperature sensor values on your desktop. It might not be this, but my powerbook did the same thing when the trackpad sensor fell down and went boom.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
SPACERACE

« Reply #926 on: Jan 09, 2007, 02:24:55 PM »

my trackpad is 90.5 degrees fahrenheit. sweet.

now what?

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
diesel_powered

« Reply #927 on: Jan 09, 2007, 02:37:07 PM »

Er.... no idea. Just... y'know... look out for any odd readings I guess...

I got nothing.

SPACERACE

« Reply #928 on: Jan 09, 2007, 03:36:25 PM »

yeah, just now after resetting the PMU, it didn't wake from sleep and i had to restart. i need an external hard drive yesterday.

SPACERACE

« Reply #929 on: Jan 09, 2007, 04:13:54 PM »

yojimbo!

that shit with the white-on-black text coming over the screen with a lockup just happened again, and i got corrupt stack, backtrace terminated, after an exception chain it said memory access exception, and wanted some remote debugger which sounds like something i need to pay someone else to have.

this is so bad. i'm in class right now, and i keep losing a bunch of notes every 10-15 minutes

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #930 on: Jan 09, 2007, 04:41:07 PM »

Buy a pencil and paper.

Seriously though I'm not much of a Mac guy, and I don't even work with mac guys anymore since I moved (though I'm still buds with them and can pass your problem along)  but a couple of suggestions

resetting PRAM seems to fix stuff like this a lot.  you probably saw instructions when you found instructions on resetting the pmu but just in case: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

question: is there any particular application you're consistently running when the crashes happen?  remove or reinstall it, or just try running without it for a while.

I'll pass along a link to that picture you posted and see what they say.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
SPACERACE

« Reply #931 on: Jan 10, 2007, 01:03:28 AM »

did the pram, usually running firefox, and i just got rid of a screen saver called electric sheep which i just got recently

SPACERACE

« Reply #932 on: Jan 10, 2007, 09:38:15 PM »

now this thing just won't start: it only beeps, thrice. it seems there's a problem with the memory or the memory slots. i played around with different cards in different dimms, but still nothing. this does not look good.

diesel_powered

« Reply #933 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »

Quote from: "Apple"
If it beeps precisely three times on startup, it means the Ram hasn't passed the startup test. Either one or both banks are faulty. Try and run the apple hardware test on your restore CD/DVD if you can. Insert the disk, restart, and hold now option (the alt key) and select the apple hardware test volume. You could also open the memory compartment and remove one of the banks, swap them round or reseat the ram (experiment to try and track down the problem).

But it sounds like you probably already know that.

SPACERACE

« Reply #934 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:06:31 PM »

sure do wish i had a working disc drive to run that test.

i did a little swappage, but i think i might play around some more. failing that, i might take it to the sketchy mac doctor near my place tomorrow before i take it in vain to the apple store to be told i will never be able to afford to have them fix this shit. why the fuck again did i buy an apple?

girl

« Reply #935 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:11:38 PM »

Quote from: "reeseboisse"
why the fuck again did i buy an apple?

Because they're really reliable and they never break.  Oh, wait. . . um...

Because they're cute?

I'm sorry for your trouble.  I got nothing in terms of helpfulness, but good luck.

this is a story and you're not in it
ieatrats

« Reply #936 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »

I use Excel for work to do something very simple but pretty big - sorting, searching in and labelling thousands of lines of transcribed text.  I'm working from home a lot lately, and for "legal" reasons work won't give me excel and a licence for my home computer.

I tried Excel 2007 but it's slowing down my whole machine (centrino processor with 512MB RAM), not to mention that it sucks if you're already used to Excel.

Can anyone recommend something Excel-like that a) doesn't bog down with very large files (e.g. two to 4 columns of 10000 - 70000 lines each) b) allows for easy filtering and c) doesn't use a ton of RAM/processor?

I tried OpenOffice but I pretty much hate it, and the trouble with Excel is it works as well with text as it does with numbers or calculations - OoO seems pretty much for accounting only.  There was another one I tried but it bogged down with big files so much that I don't even remember the name.

I'm familiar with emacs (well, basic emacs) but it seems waaaaaay to easy to screw up critical ordering etc on files this big, and it doesn't allow the filtering in the same way, or at least easily toggled like you can with Excel.

I also tried running minimal apps - when I tried out Excel 2007 I was running a torrent client, Outlook, browser, vpn etc, but when I rebooted and ran only Excel, it was still a total hog, I guess because the new windows is for ultramega computers.

Any suggestions?  I'll maybe try Excel 2003 (what I use at work) but I'll have to ahem download it.

alistarr*

« Reply #937 on: Jan 16, 2007, 04:53:34 AM »

it sounds to me like you've already tried everything i'd try, with the exception of using the version of office you use at work.

maybe your home machine's just naturally slower than your work machine? it sounds simple but if that's the case then theres probably no point trying other stuff because it will all run slower.

my personal non-technical thoughts are that if you're expected to work at home then your work should provide for that (which is to say provide a laptop). if they don't want you to run stuff on your own machine then maybe there are other reasons for that, as a license/personal copy of excel probably wouldn't mean that much to them otherwise. conversely, if you can't work at home, perhaps you shouldn't expect to?

sorry, this is a bit thin on useable advice...
jebreject

« Reply #938 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:00:20 AM »

what is that other big open-source office suite?  'cause i have open office and i kinda hate it too

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Good Intentions

« Reply #939 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:01:16 AM »

Star Office? Because Open Office is Star Office after it become a more wide-spread open-source project.
ieatrats

« Reply #940 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:19:50 PM »

Quote from: "alistarr*"
my personal non-technical thoughts are that if you're expected to work at home then your work should provide for that (which is to say provide a laptop). if they don't want you to run stuff on your own machine then maybe there are other reasons for that, as a license/personal copy of excel probably wouldn't mean that much to them otherwise. conversely, if you can't work at home, perhaps you shouldn't expect to?

The problem with where I work is that the spare/available laptops are all crappier than my computer - basically anyone who has a laptop is a project manager and doesn't need a processor or ram to do intensive stuff.  If you do dev/tech stuff, you have a desktop that can jump ten school buses, or an old pII.

I've pushed all of the above and actually up to now it was to my advantage to not be able to work from home, but now I need to for my own reasons, which work isn't particularly amenable to, though they're allowing it because my boss rules (first ever good boss!).

I found a torr... (cough) disk with a "lite" version of Office 2003 and it's working like a champ, and only takes up a couple hundred megs of space instead of holy shit 1.7 gigs.  I also figured out the using VPN to connect to a worldwide office network sucks up major bandwidth and RAM - turned out that was half of the problem with 2007, but it still hogged too much to be usable.

ieatrats

« Reply #941 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:26:25 PM »

I use Bell Canada dsl and I bought a modem a while ago to go with a way cheaper isp - the only trick is you have to have your own modem.  I never set it up, nor set up my wireless router (0$ with rebates, actually -$60 because they sent me two rebate cheques, take THAT The Man) because I've never dealt with this stuff before - I've only used the disc from Bell that does everything for you and you end up with an internet connection.

I'm not techie with networking at all, but I'm totally revamping my apartment, including where my modem will be, so I might as well set this up.  What do I need to do?  Software?  Configs?  Even a link to a how to page would be great, when I search for this stuff it all seems ultratechie.  I did figure out some port stuff for torrents, but it was uncomplicated.

The modem in question is a Linksys ADSL wired ethernet modem, XP with SP2 freshly installed.  I'm not worried about the wireless for the moment, as I haven't even broken the seal on the box.

Nick Ink

« Reply #942 on: Jan 18, 2007, 04:39:15 PM »

Not really tech support needed as such, more a general enquiry about a minor annoyance.

Quite often, when I click on a 'last message posted' arrow, I get a load of red and blue html like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
  <!DOCTYPE html (View Source for full doctype...)>
- <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr">
- <head>
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css" />
  <link rel="top" href="./index.php" title="LPTJ Forum Index" />
  <link rel="search" href="./search.php" title="Search" />
  <link rel="help" href="./faq.php" title="FAQ" />
  <link rel="author" href="./memberlist.php" title="Memberlist

Anyone know why that is?

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #943 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:24:08 PM »

it's an internet explorer glitch. if you download internet explorer 7.0 it will go away. otherwise, you're stuck with it. unless you switch to firefox.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Good Intentions

« Reply #944 on: Jan 19, 2007, 04:24:28 PM »

Switch to Firefox.
jebreject

« Reply #945 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:25:46 PM »

Okay, so I really need help with port forwarding stuff.  I'm trying to set everything up for slsk and DC++, and I do everything correctly, but once it's all set up, it still doesn't work.  This has been an on-going battle for months now, and after spending an hour or so with it today, I've finally fucking had it.  I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem could be.  And the weirdest thing of all is that port forwarding totally works for uTorrent, just not for slsk or DC++!  WTF!?  Can anyone help?

EDIT:  My router is a Linksys RTP300, if that helps at all

Good Intentions

« Reply #946 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:19:29 PM »

You're going to have to give a bit more info than that.
jebreject

« Reply #947 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:15:03 AM »

Router:

DC++:

uTorrent:

Soulseek:

Like I said, uTorrent is the only one that works.  I've tried different ports on both DC++ and slsk.  According to the router, they're being forwarded, but somehow they're still blocked.  I don't have the Windows Firewall turned on.  As far as I can tell, everything is set up correctly on both ends.  But obviously something is amiss, and it has to be either on the router or in Windows, right?  But I've no idea what it is.  What else do you need to know?

Also tried using UPnP but that didn't work either, so I just disabled it again, 'cause I've heard some nasty things about UPnP.

SPACERACE

« Reply #948 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:44:04 AM »

static ip?

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #949 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:53:49 AM »

jeb, go to the DMZ item and set your PC's address as the default DMZ host or server or whatever terminology they use in that router interface.

Also make sure you have your shit pretty well locked down when you do that 'cause that will basically put your PC directly on the internet and you should probably install some kind of software firewall.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Need tech support? post it here!
Jump to: