Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 23, 2014, 07:01:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658126 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 44 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40
Print
Author Topic: Need tech support? post it here!  (Read 77314 times)
jebreject

« Reply #950 on: Jan 20, 2007, 02:01:28 AM »

how do i put my shit on lockdown, then?  firewall?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #951 on: Jan 20, 2007, 02:13:17 AM »

Yeah I'm talking software firewall, but to begin with, just try making your PC the DMZ host.  That basically sends all traffic that doesn't have any other rules attached to it directly to your PC.  So it's not just those 3 ports going to your PC, it's all 65535 of them that aren't being used for something else.  See if this works.  

If it works, then you know that that will make it work and you can think about getting a firewall on there.  If nothing else, enable Windows firewall, but you'll be better off going with something like ZoneAlarm.  Under no circumstances should you use Norton Internet Security because it runs under the assumption that if it's impossible for you to do anything on your computer it'll be impossible for you to fuck anything up, so it basically turns your computer into a brick.

If it doesn't work, you got something else going on.  Maybe there's a software firewall already fucking your shit up.  Maybe your router is shitty.  Who knows.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
jebreject

« Reply #952 on: Jan 20, 2007, 03:33:21 AM »

Thanks, Jim!  It definitely works now.  I'll look for a good firewall.  But I mean, if it works this way, shouldn't it (in theory) work forwarding the ports?  Is this something I might be able to figure out?  Or is it not really worth it as long as I get a firewall?

Good Intentions

« Reply #953 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:06:59 AM »

Get ZoneAlarm, it's pretty awesome. And free. When ZoneAlarm at any time appears not to be free, look around for the option that doesn't cost you money. It'll be good enough.
jebreject

« Reply #954 on: Jan 20, 2007, 03:48:25 PM »

yeah, i have zone alarm now.  it seems a little clunky, i don't know.  but nothing i'm gonna worry too much about.

also since i've done this, my downloads are quite a bit faster.  it's pretty sweet.

Good Intentions

« Reply #955 on: Jan 20, 2007, 05:44:37 PM »

As you 'train' ZoneAlarm to do what you want, and probably the main reason it's so good is because it sets out to do this, it will ask for your input less and less. After about a fortnight you will simply need to stop worrying about it, and your computer is immeasurably more secure.
jebreject

« Reply #956 on: Jan 20, 2007, 06:26:20 PM »

The problem is that it's slow, and it slows down my computer

jebreject

« Reply #957 on: Jan 22, 2007, 10:25:13 AM »

Also for some reason my phone (which is VoIP) will not call out when I have DMZ enabled.  So I guess for now I'm going to enable DMZ when I have a lot of downloading to do, but otherwise keep it disabled, 'cause it's annoying that my phone doesn't work right.

jebreject

« Reply #958 on: Jan 22, 2007, 10:27:40 AM »

oh wow so i just disabled dmz and now port forwarding works.  wtf?

El_Josharino

« Reply #959 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:20:04 PM »

Witchcraft!

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
alistarr*

« Reply #960 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:57:55 AM »

question: a couple of weeks ago i burned a cd for a friend here who had half his records stolen, and to do so i put all the tracks that were going on the cd into a folder on my desktop. once i was done with making the cd i closed the cd burning program, didn't save the playlist or anything, and turned the computer off. the next time i turned it on i deleted the folder from my desktop. no big deal, right.

then the next time i turned on the computer the folder was there again. i shift-deleted it this time (permanently delete, rather than send to recycle bin) and also emptied my recycle bin (but forgot to check if the folder in question was still there too before i did so).

now almost every time (maybe it really is every time) i use my computer the folder is there, and i delete it, and next time it comes back again. i should add that when it comes back it is empty of the files that i copied there.

any ideas, anyone?
Good Intentions

« Reply #961 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:59:26 AM »

If I understood the shit the Windows desktop does, I really would be the smartest person on earth.

My guess is that there is at least one reference to the way the desktop should be somewhere on your computer, and heaven knows there are too many of thsoe, which includes a reference to the folder being there. Probably in the registry. Since the desktop you see is actually just a set of shortcuts to your Desktop folder (all just a smoke-and-mirrors act then) which gets generated by too many things at once, the shortcut reappears, though the folder is empty because the subfolder in the Desktop folder no longer exists.

Sometimes it feels worth it just to throw Explorer out the window and start using Midnight Commander or something of the sort.
alistarr*

« Reply #962 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:08:35 AM »

nah, midnight commander sounds kinda 80s for my liking. "xp" has that nice "i'm modern and i'm a pointless abbreviation for something that probably doesn't mean anything" ring to it.
Good Intentions

« Reply #963 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:07:42 AM »

You sound like an MNC fan, then.
diesel_powered

« Reply #964 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:41:47 PM »

Midnight Commander sounds like a movie shown late at night on Cinemax.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
hannah

« Reply #965 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:42:02 PM »

My cheap-o Dell laptop, which I've had for 13 months now, just recently (i.e., as of last night) started getting a little funky. Specifically, any text on the screen, be it a news article or the name of a document or whatever, looks slightly stretched or shadowed -- I don't know how else to describe it. I restarted the computer, but the stretching/shadowing thing remains. Should I be worried?
Good Intentions

« Reply #966 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:43:52 PM »

If you can't make it look right by fiddling with the controls for the screen - contrast, pincushion, etc - or it gets worse again after you fix it, yes.
hannah

« Reply #967 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:48:15 PM »

Cool, thanks, Marinus. I will give such fiddling a shot (I'm currently on my boyfriend's Mac laptop) and report back. Any idea as to what the phenomenon is a symptom of?
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #968 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:56:57 PM »

Hannah, it could just be a problem with your screen resolution, are you familiar with the Display properties dialog box?  Right-click an empty area of your desktop, choose Properties from the menu that appears.  The Display properties dialog will appear.  It will have several tabs.  One of them will be labeled Settings.  Click on the Settings tab and let us know what you see there.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
mriley

« Reply #969 on: Feb 05, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »

Anybody ever unpartitioned a hard drive???

About a year ago my computer got really infected and I had to erase everything and start over with it.  For some reason(I can't remember why) I partitoned my hardrive into 2 equal sections when I was loading XP.  I remembered I had done this this weekend when I completly filled up my C drive.  I'd like to combine both partitions into one harddrive.

Can this be done?  Will I have to move everything off my C drive before I do this to keep from losing anything?
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #970 on: Feb 05, 2007, 03:15:52 PM »

There is software that can do that.  Powerquest Partition Magic is one that was always pretty well thought of but then Symantec acquired it and I don't know how it's fared since then.  The last time I had to do it I used Acronis Disk Director, which did a fine job.  There are most likely others.

bmc

« Reply #971 on: Feb 05, 2007, 04:19:34 PM »

parted is free, and free is good.  I'm pretty sure it comes on the latest knoppix disk.

If you don't know what you're doing, parted makes it really easy to destroy all your data.  So, uh, careful with that.

-bc
Good Intentions

« Reply #972 on: Feb 05, 2007, 04:54:58 PM »

It's always very easy to destroy your data when repartitioning.

I've used Partition Magic post-Symantec, and it still does the job well and easily. But it's growing more bloated every day...

Just to stress again that repartitioning is definitely not a scenario where you want to be clicking thorugh dialogue screens without reading them. If you're not paying attention, you'll lose everything on your hard drive.
mriley

« Reply #973 on: Feb 05, 2007, 05:37:26 PM »

Thanks for the help.  I was definatley hoping to go the free route so I will probably check out those options first.

I happen to know that I am getting an external hardrive for my birthday next week(cause I peeked) so I think I might wait till I get that before trying anything.  I definatley don't to lose anything.
El_Josharino

« Reply #974 on: Feb 05, 2007, 06:56:50 PM »

So far in my life, the fdisk command has been enough to fulfill all of my partitioning needs.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Need tech support? post it here!
Jump to: