Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 21, 2014, 12:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657898 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 47 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kansas City  (Read 1861 times)
justinh

« on: Nov 27, 2005, 01:07:51 PM »

I'm going to be in KC next weekend for my girlfriend's cousin's bar mitzvah.  So my question to KC residents and those familiar with the city is this:  Is there anything worth seeing/doing there?  Record stores? Good/amazing bars? food?  Architectural wonders?

I'm going to be in Lawrence for a bit too, but I'm fairly familiar with that place.  However, any Lawrence suggestions would be nice, too.
El_Josharino

« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2005, 01:31:12 PM »

There's this restaurant there... I forget what it's called.  It's a regular sit down sort of place, and you order your food, your hamburger and fries, or chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes or whatever, and when you finish your plate they bring you out another one.  They'll keep doing this as long as you keep emptying plates.  Free food refills.  Also, if you want a dinner roll, you just stick your hand in the air and someone will throw one to you.  Maybe someone who knows KC better can help you with the name/location, otherwise I'll ask around.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
justinh

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2005, 01:39:43 PM »

That sounds positively terrifying.  The people there must be HUGE.

The tossing of the bread thing sounds pretty great, though.
the living dead!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2005, 01:47:45 PM »

let's see! friday night there is a show at this place called the sleeper cellar which should be pretty fun. info about that and other shows and record stores and things can be found at KC-DIY.

there are a lot of good places to eat in westport. there's the jerusalem cafe, which has really good middle-eastern food and a hookah bar upstairs! there's tea drops, where you can get choice smoothies and bubble tea. and there's broadway cafe, which is the local hipster coffeehouse. and KORMA SUTRA, a fucking amazing indian restaurant. also in westport is recycled sounds, a decent-ish indie record store. all of those place can be found within a few blocks of the intersection at westport rd and broadway blvd. on 39th street, which is not too far from there, there are a few more good restaurants. blue koi (chinese), genghis kahn (mongolian barbecue), and addis ababa (ethiopian).

there's a good record store called NEEDMORE DISCS out in the 'burbs, around 75th & neiman. i don't know where you'll be staying, so that might be too long a haul.

as fer lawrence, if you're at all familiar with the area you've probably heard of/been to the love garden, which is basically one of the best record stores i've ever been to. mmmHM.

hope that gets you started. check out that website for sure though, there's a lot of good info there.

end quote
El_Josharino

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2005, 02:20:56 PM »

Oh, hey, Darling at Sea playing on the third as well.  Those guys are pretty damn good.  Well... good if you like OK Computer era Radiohead.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
justinh

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2005, 02:51:20 PM »

Just to clarify, the living dead, this area is in KCM, not KCK, right?  I always get so confused that the two cities have the same freakin' name.  And how do i get to this westport area?  Odds are I'll be coming from Lawrence and/or Overland Park (hideous, I know).  

Thanks for the links, by the way.  And Love Garden is great, for sure.  More record stores need cats runnin' around.
jebreject

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2005, 02:58:57 PM »

ska night rules

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
the living dead!

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2005, 03:13:37 PM »

Quote from: "justinh"
Just to clarify, the living dead, this area is in KCM, not KCK, right?  I always get so confused that the two cities have the same freakin' name.  And how do i get to this westport area?  Odds are I'll be coming from Lawrence and/or Overland Park (hideous, I know).  

Thanks for the links, by the way.  And Love Garden is great, for sure.  More record stores need cats runnin' around.

westport is in KCMO. yeah, it is confusing! whenever i tell people there are two kansas cities, they're all "wtfz!?!"

anyways, to get to westport from overland park (that's where i really live, actually), yr gonna want to go north on METCALF avenue from around 95th st. metcalf eventually merges into 169 N. take 169 to the shawnee mission pkwy ramp, which merges onto 56 . after about 4.5 miles, 56 turns into madison ave, which then becomes southwest trafficway. turn righ tonto westport road, and that should take you right to broadway. it can be kind of hard to find parking around there, but there is a lot behind streetside records that usually has some spaces.

end quote
justinh

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2005, 04:07:46 PM »

Sweet.  Where are you at in the OP? I'll be around Antioch and 125th.  It would be cool to hang out, but I fear that I'll have precious little spare time, besides the one night in KC which will most likely be spent at the bar with Kirsten and her cousins.  

But anyway, your directions seem to make perfect sense to Kirsten, though they're kind of mind-boggling to me.  Thanks dude.
the living dead!

« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2005, 04:12:43 PM »

Sweet.  Where are you at in the OP? I'll be around Antioch and 125th.  It would be cool to hang out, but I fear that I'll have precious little spare time, besides the one night in KC which will most likely be spent at the bar with Kirsten and her cousins.  

But anyway, your directions seem to make perfect sense to Kirsten, though they're kind of mind-boggling to me.  Thanks dude.

no problem! i'm around 95th and Metcalf, so not too far. gimme a call if you've got time. (913)645-9028

hope KC treats you well!

end quote
crystalcakes

« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2005, 05:11:09 PM »

Eat at:
Rosedale BBq (total hole in the wall cruddy looking place with kickass bbq) on southwest boulevard
Shiraz (my uncle's fancy mediterranean rest.) on southwest blvd. closer to downtown

Go to the jazz museum or union station if you want touristy/history.

I haven't been back since Christmas so I have no idea of the day to day goings ons.  

I have never heard of the food refills restaurant.  

living dead- my dad's house is near 95th and antioch.

Quote from: "John"
life is now worthless and I am going to eat cat food & die
justinh

« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2005, 09:55:25 PM »

You know, being a vegetarianishly inclined person, I feel as though i'm gonna be missing out on the unique dining opportunities in KC.  You know, the BBQ.  Is there any vegetarian BBQ?  Yeah, I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be no.  

And Living Dead, what's your real name?  I would feel funny calling like your parents house and asking for "the living dead".
the living dead!

« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2005, 10:13:38 PM »

You know, being a vegetarianishly inclined person, I feel as though i'm gonna be missing out on the unique dining opportunities in KC.  You know, the BBQ.  Is there any vegetarian BBQ?  Yeah, I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be no.  

And Living Dead, what's your real name?  I would feel funny calling like your parents house and asking for "the living dead".

hahah i'm dan!

as for veggie barbecue, i don't know if i can help you there. there is, however, a very choice vegetarian-only indian place at 91st and metcalf called udipi cafe. it's really tasty, and fairly inexpensive.

you could always go to a barbecue place and just dip french fries in barbecue sauce. it would be kind of the same, maybe! as a vegetarian myself, i don't have much experience in that area.

end quote
xoe

« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2005, 10:10:21 AM »

I can never understand why anyone goes to KC. Here in Lawrence, we've got every kind of restaurant and a great nightlife.. and, of course, Love Garden.

Also, if you're still going to be in the area, Unwed Sailor is playing the Replay on Monday 12/5.
fullheadofnothing

« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2005, 10:28:32 AM »

ah, kansas city, where even the vegetarians have opinions about the best bbq (it's arthur briants, face the truth motherfuckers!) although you can't really do the whole french fries in the sauce thing there, as the fries are cooked in lard, and i think there's some in the sauce too...

for the record, i used to live at 86th and nall in the grand o.p.

nelson atkins art museum kicks ass, a truly first rate asian collection.

the plaza is a large outdoor shopping area designed to look like seville, spain. kinda pricy to shop, but nice to walk around. and go at night, for some really great xmas lights.

I already asked the eightball, and all my sources point to you.
DCDave

« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2005, 10:30:34 AM »

As a lifelong vegetarian who only has on occasion tried meat and only on occasion tried barbeque sauce I must say that the two things taste pretty similar.  And by that I mean, to me, BBQ sauce tastes like meat without barbeque sauce on it.  So do BBQ potato chips.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
crystalcakes

« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2005, 03:20:24 PM »

Quote from: "xoe"
I can never understand why anyone goes to KC. Here in Lawrence, we've got every kind of restaurant and a great nightlife.. and, of course, Love Garden.

Also, if you're still going to be in the area, Unwed Sailor is playing the Replay on Monday 12/5.

Maybe because Lawrence is pretty small and you can get sick of it.  Also, it's not that near to the airport.  (I like Lawrence, but not for more than a few days at a time)

xoe

« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:48:07 PM »

Quote from: "crystalcakes"

Maybe because Lawrence is pretty small and you can get sick of it.  Also, it's not that near to the airport.  (I like Lawrence, but not for more than a few days at a time)

I've lived here for 8 years and never have I thought the solution to being sick of lawrence was to go to KC. May as well really get away. You are right about Lawrence not being close to the airport, though.

To each their own, I guess.
justinh

« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:23:05 PM »

I've been to Lawrence heaps of times, but I've always just kinda driven through KC.  

Where is this "plaza" place?  Is it impressive enought to seek out, for the tourist in me?  And what of the fountains? Isn't KC the "fountain city" or something?
the living dead!

« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2005, 11:16:04 PM »

I've been to Lawrence heaps of times, but I've always just kinda driven through KC.  

Where is this "plaza" place?  Is it impressive enought to seek out, for the tourist in me?  And what of the fountains? Isn't KC the "fountain city" or something?

the plaza is just about a mile (maybe less?) south of westport. if you go south on main street, you'll go right by the plaza. it's alright, if you're into upper-middle-class yuppie infestation! a large number of kansas ciy's fountains can be found in and around the plaza, including JC nichols fountain, considered by many to be the pinnacle of man's achievements in making water come out of things.

end quote
Antero

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2005, 11:48:48 PM »

I hear everything's pretty up-to-date there.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
crystalcakes

« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2005, 12:18:03 AM »

Quote from: "xoe"
Quote from: "crystalcakes"

I've lived here for 8 years and never have I thought the solution to being sick of lawrence was to go to KC. May as well really get away. You are right about Lawrence not being close to the airport, though.

To each their own, I guess.

I have many more friends etc... in kc so it makes sense for me.  My sister lives in Lawrence and so do a few friends so I am sure I will be there at Christmastime.  Also, the bbq is not in lawrence.  

I love the Plaza.  And it's all lit up after Thanksgiving.  Pretty.  There is a movie theater there too that is pretty nice.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2005, 01:53:42 AM »

Quote from: "Antero"

they've gone about as far as they can go.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Lucy

« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2005, 01:57:03 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
Quote from: "Antero"

they've gone about as far as they can go.

aww, this is flashing me back to my grandpa crooning "meet me in saint louis" into my little fisher price tape recorder for a school project back in like, 3rd grade, and i'm about to cry. djasjkds.
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Kansas City
Jump to: