Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:56:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 56 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Print
Author Topic: neutral milk hotel demos  (Read 41920 times)
Wally

« Reply #225 on: Jan 17, 2006, 01:43:18 PM »

Jeb and Blake you have an inkling of how much I love you, but do not fuck with that. Do not mess with the lunacy that is myspace, do not toy with the idea that the internets is worthless. If you do I will shove a spike.....

I really don't think Jeff gives a fuck about what people say on his myspace. If he does? If it stops him doing anything? Well then it says more about him then I'd like to think.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #226 on: Jan 17, 2006, 01:49:38 PM »

It's not that, Wally. It isn't "Jeff's MySpace", it's just some mock account set up by some fan kinda-sorta-pretending to be the bands actual myspace. Which is why I find the whole thing so funny... the myspace profile has like 4,000 friends. 4,000 peeps, fooled.

As not to offend, I will keep all my filthy myspace opinions to myself. Jeb and I are planning a revolution.
DCDave

« Reply #227 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:02:55 PM »

Quote from: "rockmeamadeus"
Not sad like ohhh boohoohoo his fans are such pawns but depressing as in a complete wastge of internetz. Much like the entirety of MySpace itself.

Myspace is very useful for coordinating plans for the weekend with large groups of friends.

I feel like y'all are just haters.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
jebreject

« Reply #228 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:09:49 PM »

I think myspace is super useful for bands.  It's like BYOFL only much friendlier.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #229 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:30:41 PM »

yeah, seriously, i use myspace to promote shows and it actually has an effect. i actually find it really useful. i'm totally planning to make myspace pages for my band and my zine in the next month or two, and i'll bet that will help those projects out too.

now there ARE tons of bad bands, horrible profiles, etc, all over that site, but anything that's effective enough to reach a broad base of people is going to attract a lot of idiots. that's just a rule of human interaction. you have to take the bad with the good.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
bYul

« Reply #230 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:50:55 PM »

I don't think the point here is about "idiots" that are attracted to bad bands who put up bad sites, but like Blake said, the NMH site is different in that it is not put up by the band itself.  The NMH site serves no real purpose and is, I'm sure, on there against the wishes of the band.

... somewhere safe and soft and without maggots
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #231 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:52:39 PM »

so is it faking like it's really done by the band? because i have a couple bands on my myspace friends that were not done by the actual band members, but they always say exactly that right in the info. they're more just there as a tribute to the band, which i don't think there's anything wrong with. after all, it might get kids who've never heard those bands to check them out, and how could that be bad?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
DCDave

« Reply #232 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:04:32 PM »

That's what a Myspace group is for, not a myspace music page

bYul

« Reply #233 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:05:25 PM »

Must not be clear enough if people are leaving messages on there like
"Do you need any artwork for your band?"

... somewhere safe and soft and without maggots
DCDave

« Reply #234 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:16:01 PM »

Quote from: "bYul"
Must not be clear enough if people are leaving messages on there like
"Do you need any artwork for your band?"

Or some people are very stupid and don't read well.

rockmeamadeus

« Reply #235 on: Jan 17, 2006, 05:03:54 PM »

Or LOTS of people are very stupid and don't read well. There was quite a plethora of like responses, Dave. Just saying, that's funny.
kirk

« Reply #236 on: Nov 11, 2006, 08:17:08 PM »

Hi,
Yes, I was reading this thread and found Shannon's comment saying that Kirk Pleasant could confirm Jeff's whereabouts at the Monroe St. house, etc.  Yes, I lived there at the same time as Jeff briefly.  I remember reading the book and that particular part and thinking that it didn't sound exactly accurate.  He lived there for a good while when I was there in Fall 93 and for some of 94, though his presence was always rather paranormal and he floated around town quite a bit in those days.  
To be honest, I thought that book was fantastic and very accurate as a whole.  I found myself following my own history quite a bit, though not mentioned directly.  I lived in Ruston, Denver (during the OAI sessions), and Athens while maintaining a good friendship and musical relationship with all of those guys.  They're still my friends, but I now live in Vancouver, B.C. and stick needles into people all day as an acupuncturist.  They're all still bumming around Athens and trying to make the next big record!!!  Good luck suckas!
davy

« Reply #237 on: Nov 11, 2006, 11:16:57 PM »

cool, it's nice to (sort of) meet you!

thanks for stopping in!

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
kirk

« Reply #238 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:53:33 PM »

Thanks.  Ok, so the thing I don't really understand is why the obsession with the next NMH record.  I mean, isn't it obviously all part of his master plan to generate massive interest by non-action, then when his money from the first two records runs out, release a sudden third, sell millions and retire?  I remember long ago him saying that he was going to release two records, then put out refrigerator and frog noises.  Anyway, it doesn't really matter because he and everyone else involved in elephant six are so active it's head spinning.  Just go to opticalatlas.com everyday for new updates on what every weirdo that is part of the movement is doing.  Now please understand that I say 'weirdo' with nothing but love in my heart for everyone of them.  

Last comment:  Myspace is such a great way to pretend that you're really friends with great jazz musicians who are long dead.  I even like to send them messages...  it's my morbid way of communing with heroes.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #239 on: Nov 18, 2006, 07:07:37 PM »

In America, we have sex on their graves.

think 'on the road.'
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #240 on: Nov 19, 2006, 10:19:38 PM »

Ahhh, that night of beautiful union upon the cold hard dirt of Charlie Parker's grave will always be with me, Miles. Always.
kirk

« Reply #241 on: Nov 22, 2006, 02:29:28 PM »

two problems with that celebration in Canada:
1: too cold.  your bum would freeze against the headstone.
2: there are no jazz musicians here.  at least no good ones.  very sad.

my this thread has gotten strange.

www.myspace.com/calvindontjump
Danen

« Reply #242 on: Nov 22, 2006, 03:29:24 PM »

I would argue that last point. At least in Toronto I saw some fabulous musicians. Check out guitarist Nilan Perrera for sure - unique and certainly worthy of hearing. Maybe not so famous on an international level, but I don't think that's the fault of the artists.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #243 on: Nov 22, 2006, 04:22:34 PM »

Quote from: "kirk"
my this thread has gotten strange.

Welcome to LPTJ!  Your one stop shop for endless camraderie, pedantry, and bizarre slashfic!

Sometimes we even talk about music. It's pretty awesome.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
kirk

« Reply #244 on: Nov 23, 2006, 12:19:20 AM »

You're right and I'm sure there's lots of wonderful jazz in Canada, I just haven't heard any since arriving four years ago.  Nilan does seem really amazing, so I stand corrected.  There's a jazz festival here in Vancouver every year, but they import all the good jazz from south of the border.  

To get back to the main theme, I believe the main objection anyone would have with public displays of their demos is that they aren't perfect.  Of course, for the fan, it's really nice to hear the songs of your favorite artists, but for the artist, that stuff is very sacred and to have something unintended for public release to be released anyway is rather unfair.  I know that Jeff paid lots of attention to all the little details in his recordings and songwriting and in hindsight, I'm sure the songs on those tapes would have been re-worked hundreds of times.  When I lived with him, I remember the hours he spent in the bathroom playing and playing songs until he got them exactly the way he wanted.  There are many of his songs that I would love to hear over and over in his special lo-fi fuzzed out recording style, namely 'ferris wheel on fire', but what are you gonna do?  watch you-tube, i guess.  

What's really unfair to me is the release of Elliot Smith's demos.  I mean, come on, talk about fucking on someone's grave!...

That's all.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #245 on: Nov 23, 2006, 09:45:27 AM »

Blake already did.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #246 on: Nov 23, 2006, 09:47:07 AM »

That SLUT

think 'on the road.'
alistarr*

« Reply #247 on: Nov 23, 2006, 10:14:06 AM »

you used him up and threw him away! i suppose you think you're some kind of stud or something.
Maaik

« Reply #248 on: Dec 06, 2010, 04:20:42 AM »

NEEEEEECROOOOOOOO

So hey, wanted to dig this back up so maybe we could talk about Mangum playing a secret invite only show in New York over the weekend.

Story and half the set up here: http://www.internationaltapes.com/reviews/jeff-mangum-live-at-the-schoolhouse/

I really didn't think much of this apart from "oh hey, another Jeff Mangum appearance.  Glad someone got some of it on tape."  Then I read this post in the Metafilter discussion:

I have an acquaintance who was involved in organizing this. As I understand it, it was initially supposed to be an invitation-only event, with invitations going to fans who were in one way or another known to be low-key, non-over-the-top, no press -- so it would be a nice small show without some of the elements that have been a problem for him in the past.

From the twitter, it sounds like there ended up being about twice as many people as I had thought it was going to be -- and the guy who posted the recordings apparently was not one of the invitees, but somehow got in later anyway, so I don't know what happened with their plan. But from his description it sounds like it was a nice low-key night, which I'm glad to hear -- it's what they were aiming for.

Now I'm not sure how I feel.  Not about the tape, I'm still glad to hear this shitty quality half-concert that sounds like it was recorded a floor down.  But there's a couple things: Record and release new music or don't, play shows or don't--but an artist shouldn't have his audience hand-picked for him.  I understand they feel a need to protect him from people that are gonna freak out up in his grill, but this reads to me like Mangum is being treated a little like a mental patient who has to be handled veeery gently.

The only other parallel I can think of is Jandek.  Jandek's playing shows.  I saw him.  I know the guy who booked it.  It was in an out-of-the-way venue, but there were tickets and it was like a normal show.  And the cloak of privacy surrounding Jandek hasn't been breached.  I suppose maybe this Schoolhouse show may have been testing the waters to make sure it could be pulled off, so maybe this bodes well, and if so, great.  Maybe what's working for Jandek can be made to work for Mangum.  Then maybe everyone can start getting over it and he can be a normal musician again.

I need anne the man lessons
alistarr*

« Reply #249 on: Dec 06, 2010, 04:30:00 AM »

why shouldn't he choose his audience if he wants?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: neutral milk hotel demos
Jump to: