Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:47:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658302 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: neutral milk hotel demos  (Read 42124 times)
Nicholson

« on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:38:55 PM »

So this girl who moved into a room that Jeff Mangum lived in right before has a cassette tape of unreleased demos that she's slowly leaking to various mp3 blogs and other places. There's maybe seven songs so far, but like 34 were on the demo.

They're called the "Shannon's Monroe House Demos" and I guess the best way to start the search (i.e., links are provided) would be neutralmilkhotel.org (which I state because it was the only URL I can remember off the top of my head.)

Nothing transcendent and amazing so far, but in terms of "hey some fans are obsessive" it delivers what it promises.

It all seems like it could be pre-Avery Island, but I don't know.

Brian
http://www.myspace.com/rupertmurdochmustdie (Help me become an internet phenomenon!)
Maaik

« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:42:03 PM »

That's kind of an amazing find, but I fear that it'll only serve to further drive Jeff underground.

I'm pretty sure Low Yo Yo Stuff'll have a boot of that in the coming months.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

I need anne the man lessons
sashwap

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:43:25 PM »

yeah, if only jeff could find a balance to ward off the syd barrett-esque hoarding of (sadly) mediocre quality demos and torrent of terrible pitchfork news items.

still, it's neat to hear some more stuff by the guy.
Lalitree
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:45:51 PM »

Quote from: "Nicholson"
So this girl who moved into a room that Jeff Mangum lived in right before has a cassette tape of unreleased demos

Wait, so does that mean that she found them w/o him knowing, and he didn't, like, give them to her?
Ah_Pook

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:46:18 PM »

chick could put herself through college ebaying these things

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Ah_Pook

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:47:10 PM »

if she just found them in a box or something it would be cool to see if he wants them back after ripping mp3s though  8)

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Nicholson

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:52:03 PM »

They were given to her by John from OTC, is my understanding.

But yeah: kind of fucked.

Brian
http://www.myspace.com/rupertmurdochmustdie (Help me become an internet phenomenon!)
Mesmerize

« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:02:52 PM »

six of the 30 songs have been leaked to Indietorrents... "Dead Dog" (unconfirmed title), "Now I'm Going Down" (again unconfirmed), "Arm So Real", "Circle Of Friends," "Say Goodnight", and a version of "Gardenhead".

here's the blog

thus the hearsomeness of the burger felicitates the whole of the polis.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:03:32 PM »

Does anyone really want to hear these demos, which are probably throw-offs of such poor quality that you can barely make out the music over the static and hiss? I think at this point it's just become a collector's thing, a status thing. Now the people who've heard or has a copy of them can show off about it to their friends. Yay.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Mesmerize

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:08:40 PM »

none of my (real life) friends even know who Jeff mangum is, let alone would care enough for me to brag to them about having early demos.  no, I want them for the same reason there are bajillions of Beatles demos and bootlegs:  because we will (or may) never get to hear anything new from this incredible artist and even though these aren't NEW new they are still new and I want to hear them.  and I like tape hiss.

rockmeamadeus

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:08:57 PM »

'Given them by John from the OTC'... what? Or finding them in a house? This is all really shifty... no wonder the guy stopped making records.

JM does not equal the JC.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »

Quote from: "Mesmerize"
none of my (real life) friends even know who Jeff mangum is, let alone would care enough for me to brag to them about having early demos.  no, I want them for the same reason there are bajillions of Beatles demos and bootlegs:  because we will (or may) never get to hear anything new from this incredible artist and even though these aren't NEW new they are still new and I want to hear them.  and I like tape hiss.

Yeah, but I'm a cynical bastard, and I can't attribute these sort of things to wholesome motives.  :wink:

Quote from: "rockamadeus"
'Given them by John from the OTC'... what? Or finding them in a house? This is all really shifty... no wonder the guy stopped making records.

JM does not equal the JC.

Not to deny the dodginess of it all, but I really don't think this sort of thing has anything to do with whatever mental demons have prevented JM from making music.

rockmeamadeus

« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:24:13 PM »

I think it does... the mentality that some random tape he recorded purportedly years and years ago is even worth hearing, let alone worth all the attention it's getting around right now... the idea that Mangum was some sort of musical God, when what I adore about him is that he was just a real talented dude.
the living dead!

« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:31:13 PM »

wow! these songs are actually really good quality, sound-wise and substance-wise. y'all need to stop hatin' and start enjoyin'.

end quote
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:32:08 PM »

<grumble grumble grumble>
John
edit0r

« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:37:23 PM »

good or bad, I think it's total bullshit to listen to something that a guy was careless enough to leave in a room, and that to do so is essentially an act of hostility toward the artist in question, and that "I love NMH so much I gotta listen to shit he'd rather I didn't hear at all" is baloney
John
edit0r

« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:39:23 PM »

Quote from: "RavingLunatic"

Not to deny the dodginess of it all, but I really don't think this sort of thing has anything to do with whatever mental demons have prevented JM from making music.

also, being freaked out by people getting utterly unhinged about the fact that they like your songs is not "mental demons," it's a healthy response to people refusing to exercise common decency
RavingLunatic

« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:47:57 PM »

Quote from: "John"

also, being freaked out by people getting utterly unhinged about the fact that they like your songs is not "mental demons," it's a healthy response to people refusing to exercise common decency

For the record, I admit to knowing nothing about whatever JM has gone through, and I don't consider it any of my business. All I know is that he stopped making records.  But, is being freaked out because people like your songs that you released a healthy reaction? Maybe I don't understand correctly what you mean by "getting utterly unhinged," though.

Mesmerize

« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:49:55 PM »

If he didnt' want anyone to hear the songs he shouldn't have recorded them.

Nicholson

« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:50:49 PM »

um is that irony or do you not get the idea of demos?

Brian
W. Earl Piglet

« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:57:50 PM »

it wasn't just found in a room

http://skipgoshannon.typepad.com/shannons_arty_arty/2005/11/thepreview_of_t.html#comment-11681108

the whole story:

Ok, so a little more than ten years ago; the middle part of 1994 to be more precise, I was in college, and I moved into a house with my friend John. One of his housemates, a guy named Jeff, moved out, and I moved into Jeff's room. Lots of musician types and artists lived in this house over the years, there was an ever rotating cast of characters. I happened to move in just prior to the demise of the Monroe Street House. Parties were had, shows were played, music was made, drinks and "other stuff" consumed, etc. It was, to say the least, a fun time. At one point, John gave me a couple of cassettes that contained quite a lot of demos recorded by Jeff, the guy who'd moved out just as I was moving in. I was excited to get the tapes, as I'd had the extreme pleasure of watching Jeff perform several times (often right there in our house). He was an amazing musician who always seemed totally lost inside his art. It was like the rest of us weren't even there while he sang, and he put every ounce of himself into what he was doing.

Fast forward to now, 11 years later. John and Jeff have long since moved away. They've both been successful with their music careers. John became the bassist in Olivia Tremor Control after moving to Athens Ga less than a year after I moved in with him and his friends, and later was a founding member of Circulatory System. Jeff, of course, became incredibly well known with his band Neutral Milk Hotel. And I...well, I stayed here in Louisiana and made paintings. :-)

A little while ago, I posted this message on an Elephant 6 community message board, to honor the memory of my friend Jennifer, who passed away a little more than a year ago. It was this thread that lead to the discovery that one of the tapes John gave to me is in fact unknown to the NMH collectors. NeutralMilkHotel.org creator Gavin Bachner and I got to work on making this tape available to the public. Gavin confirmed that a huge chunk of this tape was previously unavailable, and many of the songs that are already available, are in different form on this recording, or of somewhat better quality, sound-wise. In addition to the songs by Jeff, there are several pieces by E6er Will Westbrook (of the Gerbils), and an unidentified female singer as well.
John
edit0r

« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:58:14 PM »

For the record, I admit to knowing nothing about whatever JM has gone through, and I don't consider it any of my business. All I know is that he stopped making records.  But, is being freaked out because people like your songs that you released a healthy reaction? Maybe I don't understand correctly what you mean by "getting utterly unhinged," though.

people essentially turned up at his house uninvited to share the joy of their fanhood with him

like, a lot

people got to leave a dude alone, just because a guy does something good or even great doesn't rob him of the right to privacy in his own home or about his daily business

Quote from: "Mesmerize"
If he didnt' want anyone to hear the songs he shouldn't have recorded them.

which reminds me, I have a whole box of tapes I need to destroy - I recorded them while I was writing albums, and of course not every song's always good - many are transitional, working things out, and one records them as part of the process of getting to the good stuff, but Mesmerize is right: gotta destroy any record of it, or people'll decide I don't have the right to decide what's public and what isn't
John
edit0r

« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:59:31 PM »

W. Earl, your story doesn't make it any less bullshit to listen to what are clearly private
Mesmerize

« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:59:41 PM »

I guess I just don't get the idea of demos.  but... I do get the point of demos!

I was just trying to make a point.  leave me alone.   Crying or Very sad

alexandra

« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2005, 11:01:28 PM »

demos are just to get ideas on tape. some are given out to people, labels, etc with the okay that they can be shared, some aren't. there's no permission here of any kind. you know?

this message is now diamonds
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: neutral milk hotel demos
Jump to: