Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 22, 2014, 09:31:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657763 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 71 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 ... 137
Print
Author Topic: This Is Where We Talk About The Teevee  (Read 175431 times)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #3175 on: Dec 11, 2006, 10:56:55 AM »

so i found out some interesting trivia about "the wire". i'm reading "homicide: a year on the killing streets", by david simon, and i noticed that one of the main characters in the book is jay landsman. so apparently that character on "the wire" is a real person. a friend of mine told me that he thought the real landsman played himself on the show, so i checked imdb today. i found out that landsman on "the wire" is played by a guy named delaney williams, BUT that the roll call leader with the bawl-mer accent who used to be bunny colvin's second in command is played by the REAL jay landsman. crazy, huh?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #3176 on: Dec 11, 2006, 10:58:18 AM »

Yeah! Read that on Wikipedia... I really wanta read Simon's book, tho. It's perpetually checked out of the library.

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #3177 on: Dec 11, 2006, 11:01:32 AM »

i'm about 150 pages in... it's awesome so far. not quite like reading "the wire" as a book, but similar.

Wally

« Reply #3178 on: Dec 11, 2006, 04:01:42 PM »

Cats and kittens, you all got to read "the corner" this is the book David Simon really fought the good fight. "homicide: a year on the killing streets" is pretty grand and I love it to bits, but the game was stepped up tenfold with "the corner". Miles if you can't get yourself a copy at the library then I'll put it with the Homicide dvd's I'm sending you after Christmas.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #3179 on: Dec 11, 2006, 04:17:08 PM »

Sweet! What can I send you?

(Howsabout the $14,000 worth of total accumulated personal debt that I just had outlined in gory detail thanks to a credit tracking website?)

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #3180 on: Dec 11, 2006, 04:20:09 PM »

Quote from: "Wally"
Cats and kittens, you all got to read "the corner" this is the book David Simon really fought the good fight. "homicide: a year on the killing streets" is pretty grand and I love it to bits, but the game was stepped up tenfold with "the corner". Miles if you can't get yourself a copy at the library then I'll put it with the Homicide dvd's I'm sending you after Christmas.

yeah, the friend of mine who i'm borrowing "homicide" from also owns "the corner" and said i can borrow it when i'm finished with "homicide". i plan to take him up on it.

Wally

« Reply #3181 on: Dec 11, 2006, 07:08:09 PM »

Quote from: "elpollodiablo"

(Howsabout the $14,000 worth of total accumulated personal debt that I just had outlined in gory detail thanks to a credit tracking website?)

Baby, when I whore myself in the way my body was born to do, you just know I'll buy you a yacht and you can sail quick and slick away from any credit tracking websites that might want to flame your ass.

Greg Nog

« Reply #3182 on: Dec 13, 2006, 12:51:30 AM »

HEY NERDS:

If I were to decide that I wasn't yet a big enough nerd, and thought I might actually watch Black Adder:

Which season/series should I start with?

Nerd nerd,
Greg
Good Intentions

« Reply #3183 on: Dec 13, 2006, 02:28:39 AM »

Start at the beginning. Watch them in order. I personally think the Renaissance one is the best, but there is a lot to be said for all of them. Some of the specials (the very first episode, the season finale of the Renaissance one) are unfuckwithable.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #3184 on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:37:14 AM »

I've always been a fan of the second series.  In order sounds like a good way to watch them though.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Wally

« Reply #3185 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:04:38 PM »

Quote from: "elpollodiablo"
Sweet! What can I send you?

Well your posting address would come in handy at some point.

Has anyone else enjoyed 30 Rock? Pretty goddamn funny, been a while since I've giggled at a sitcom so much. Imagine Sports Night meets Studio 60 with out the insane pretension and minus the preachy insanity.

"The government are putting aids in the chicken nuggets.....It's a METHAPHOR!"

mountmccabe

« Reply #3186 on: Dec 13, 2006, 06:33:38 PM »

Quote from: "Greg Nog"
HEY NERDS:

If I were to decide that I wasn't yet a big enough nerd, and thought I might actually watch Black Adder:

Which season/series should I start with?

Nerd nerd,
Greg

They sorta changed the idea of the show after the first season so it would not be all that informative towards the question of how much you into this you should put.  Also Ben Elton came on for the writing.  Therefore I would recommend starting with Blackadder II.

And then proceeding very quickly to Blackadder the Third and Blackadder Goes Forth.  The entire series (not counting the miscellanous episodes and specials... which I must admit to not having seen) is only 24 episodes.

The 3rd and 4th seasons are the reason I don't get House at all.

I'm not a huge fan of the first one but also I've only seen it once.

You know a pancake?
auto-da-fey

« Reply #3187 on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:54:07 PM »

Quote from: "heather marie"
Veronica Mars realization:
I'm watching the first episode (rerun time) and I just realized that as Veronica walked into Parker/Mac's room and it was when Parker was being raped that Mercer's radio show is playing. Damn, these people are good.

I've been waiting two weeks to read that. Whew, finally got it. I'm not sure if I'm caught up now, though--last week (Dec. 5) was a rerun, but what about this past Tuesday (Dec. 12)--if it was a new episode, my GF forgot to tape it. Was it? And if so, do they replay them anytime over the weekend or something?
nonotyet

« Reply #3188 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:04:17 PM »

They used to show weekend reruns before UPN became part of the CW, but not anymore."Right Here, Right Now" was the last new episode until January 30th. After which the next four episodes may or may not be the last Veronica Mars episodes, period, full-stop.

Doom, woe, peril, angst.
jebreject

« Reply #3189 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:19:45 PM »

I've just finished season one of Veronica Mars.  Damn, you folks weren't kidding.  I wish I were all caught up though, then I'd go back and re-read this thread like I did with the Serenity/Firefly thread.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #3190 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:24:49 PM »

Quote from: "nonotyet"
."Right Here, Right Now" was the last new episode until January 30th.

Wait, so that's a new one that takes place after they catch the rapists and Logan ends up in jail looking ready to do some damage?
nonotyet

« Reply #3191 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:39:29 PM »

No, that's what the episode was called. You are caught up.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #3192 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:36:21 PM »

According to this, it's called "Spit & Eggs," but I guess all that matters is that I now have to sit around for 6 weeks to find out what happens next. Maybe I should take up this Wire show in the interim, but the last thing I need right now is another time-monopolizing emotional investment in a series.
Maaik

« Reply #3193 on: Dec 14, 2006, 10:49:07 PM »

I'm watching Modern Marvels on the History Channel.  This episode is about the history of sexual enhancement technology.  Best phrase so far: "unauthorized penises."

I need anne the man lessons
nonotyet

« Reply #3194 on: Dec 15, 2006, 01:10:21 AM »

Quote from: "auto-da-fey"
According to this, it's called "Spit & Eggs,"

Wow, I'm dumb.
I think I was convinced it was called Right Here Right Now because of the mileage it got out of the titular song and I was reading all this shit about how perfect the usage was and the entire  time I was going "dudes you are using a song from 1998." Also: I am dumb.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #3195 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:10:39 AM »

Nah, not dumb--I think your invented title is better. And I don't get TV episode titles anyway--they never actually appear anywhere during the show itself, do they? I only found that one at the CW website.
Wally

« Reply #3196 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:07:03 PM »

Maybe I should take up this Wire show in the interim,

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Your life will be better if you do.

lucky strike

« Reply #3197 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:15:14 PM »

Quote from: "Good Intentions"
Start at the beginning. Watch them in order. I personally think the Renaissance one is the best, but there is a lot to be said for all of them. Some of the specials (the very first episode, the season finale of the Renaissance one) are unfuckwithable.
qft

LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IM A DETECTIVE GOD DAMN IT
auto-da-fey

« Reply #3198 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:31:59 PM »

Quote from: "Wally"
Maybe I should take up this Wire show in the interim,

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Your life will be better if you do.

I believe it. Problem is, once I get caught up in something, I go seriously OCD in racing to the end and it sucks up all of my time.

Ah, who am I kidding? LPTJ seems pretty united on this, and who am I to doubt the basis for that? I'll probably dive right in once I get back to Miami to resume my 100% asocial life next month.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #3199 on: Dec 15, 2006, 05:23:24 PM »

yeah dude, i'll cast another vote for you to get into the wire. i love veronica mars and all, but for me veronica mars is to the wire what fall out boy is to sunny day real estate.

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 ... 137
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: This Is Where We Talk About The Teevee
Jump to: