Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 24, 2014, 07:57:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658132 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 ... 137
Print
Author Topic: This Is Where We Talk About The Teevee  (Read 178618 times)
milly balgeary

« Reply #3075 on: Nov 22, 2006, 09:50:56 PM »

Two THUMBS UP netflix'r. TWO THUMBS UP. It's just as brilliant as the US vers of the Office in its own way.

mountmccabe

« Reply #3076 on: Nov 22, 2006, 11:06:20 PM »

I've tried Earl a couple times, not quite my thing.  There are funny parts but it's nothing that's going to make me wish for more.  I saw the 40 minute episode they had last week because I felt like feeling like an easily marketed-to sucker.  And I like the Office and I was actually at home so it wasn't just DVR'd.

I also stuck around for 30 Rock and I had meant to watch that one from the beginning but I didn't.  I think they might sucker me into watching another episode or two by moving it to Thursday if I happen to be watching the Office live but we'll see.

One thing I noticed was how they did their make fun of product placement show compared to how the same theme was treated on Studio 60.  30 Rock did it the same way Austin Powers did it (in... which movie was that?  Don't answer, I don't care) over-the-top so they'll still think we're cool.  They had a guy dressed as a Snapple bottle wandering around and they all talked about how much they liked Snapple.  And that was just the beginning.

Studio 60 had people drinking beverages and eating candy bars but it was all a tease, you couldn't read any logos.  They did mention a lot of real corporations so that's a bit of the same old same old but I still liked the overall approach better.

You know a pancake?
milly balgeary

« Reply #3077 on: Nov 23, 2006, 12:17:48 AM »

It took more than a few shows (on dvd) to really start to admire Earl. I'd go so far as to say the first disc, although funny, hadn't quite convinced me. But by the second I liked it better than I liked Arrested Development and I liked that quite a lot. I don't watch television because I don't like commercials so with season 1 from netflix I had a better chance to assimilate what I was watching. The show, near the end of the first disc, changed from a sometimes-hilarious show to a sparkly-gem. Once the show got its legs it took off. I recommend it to any of you, really. I think it's more quotable than just about any show on TV. Earl's brother Randy is my favorite character on TV. I still can't get over the episode where Earl is having a flashback and they decide Y2k is going to be the end of the world and there's a parade on and the streets are empty the morning after Y2k and they take over the local supermarket and start getting all Lord of the Flies, with the 'guy with the crazy eyes' trying to trade a TV for Earl's wife, Joy, and then them coming up with a bizarre sort of constitution in order to stop arguing where they use a price sticker machine to decide who is right. It's fantastic.

Maaik

« Reply #3078 on: Nov 23, 2006, 01:25:25 AM »

I'll rep for My Name Is Earl.  I don't watch it regularly--mostly cos I only watch TV when I can, not when stuff is scheduled to be on.  But I've laughed out loud at every episode of that I've seen and there aren't many shows that can do that for me.  It's probably one of the top five funniest shows on TV right now.

I need anne the man lessons
jebreject

« Reply #3079 on: Nov 23, 2006, 02:47:01 AM »

Man, I've watched a few eps of Earl here and there, and it's funny, sure, but in the "oh, this is just a really good sitcom" sort of way.  Like, it's better than most, but still not that special.  Not like Arrested Development!  I have the same problem with the American version of The Office, actually.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
milly balgeary

« Reply #3080 on: Nov 25, 2006, 11:55:14 PM »

You're killin me because the US vers of the Office is obvs superior to Arrested Development. The dude who plays Dwight is all I gotta say.

heather marie

« Reply #3081 on: Nov 26, 2006, 10:10:33 AM »

Quote from: "milly balgeary"
You're killin me because the US vers of the Office is obvs superior to Arrested Development. The dude who plays Dwight is all I gotta say.

You really didn't just say that. Now you're gonna claim that the US version of the Office is superior to the UK version of the Office.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #3082 on: Nov 26, 2006, 11:19:38 AM »

I saw a few episodes of Earl... Pretty much my only thought on it is that Jason Lee is funnier than that.

think 'on the road.'
milly balgeary

« Reply #3083 on: Nov 26, 2006, 01:54:53 PM »

Heather Marie, I KNEW you were one of those people who is always hatin on the us vers of the office because you're 'edgy' and watched the uk vers YEARS and YEARS ago. I bet you do the same thing with bands you like -

milly balgeary

« Reply #3084 on: Nov 26, 2006, 01:58:26 PM »

Quote from: "elpollodiablo"
I saw a few episodes of Earl... Pretty much my only thought on it is that Jason Lee is funnier than that.

Right, because he's shown himself to be a FAR superior comedic actor in gems like stealing harvard and mumford in comparison to my name is earl. spot on critique, elpollo. SPOT ON.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #3085 on: Nov 26, 2006, 02:17:49 PM »

I was thinking more of his performances in Kevin Smith's movies. Dude showed a dead-on sense of comic timing and priceless delivery in a coupla films where the other talent was noticably... absent.

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #3086 on: Nov 26, 2006, 06:58:48 PM »

Quote from: "elpollodiablo"
I was thinking more of his performances in Kevin Smith's movies. Dude showed a dead-on sense of comic timing and priceless delivery in a coupla films where the other talent was noticably... absent.

i'll agree with this. dude is by far the best thing about "mallrats".

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
milly balgeary

« Reply #3087 on: Nov 27, 2006, 01:18:25 AM »

i finally got back into watching battlestar galatica and let me just say i'd feast on edward james olmos's bright black feces right now. he's dreamy. this is where wally chimes in with a story about eating some edward james olmos look-alike's feces before killing him and possessing him and then robbing a supermarket using a pencil sharpener before giving blow jobs to everyone's dad and then going home and transforming into optomus prime. GO WALLY. let's hear it.

nonotyet

« Reply #3088 on: Nov 27, 2006, 10:41:59 AM »

Shocked

Um, where are you in the series now, Milly?
Wally

« Reply #3089 on: Nov 27, 2006, 10:57:08 AM »

Embarassed  Sad

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
milly balgeary

« Reply #3090 on: Nov 27, 2006, 04:47:10 PM »

Quote from: "nonotyet"
Shocked

Um, where are you in the series now, Milly?

Oh, I don't know, right at the end of the first season, when some clever writer decided to 'enrich' the experience by adding in some mystical mumbo jumbo world/myth/history building.

andronicus

« Reply #3091 on: Nov 27, 2006, 05:11:06 PM »

Most of that mythos is taken from the original series, right?  Like the whole 12 colonies, lost colony of earth, etc.
nonotyet

« Reply #3092 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:06:56 PM »

I didn't answer this question because I cannot watch more than thirty seconds of the original series without wanting to punch something very hard. But I have heard and read somewhere that the mythos is parallel to the original, yeah.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #3093 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:19:19 PM »

I'm just now catching up on this season's taped Veronica Mars episodes. Just learned about Logan's half-brother, which puts me through episode four. I don't know, it seems like the writing is razor-sharp when it comes to individual lines, but the characters are less interesting than ever -- like some sitcom version of a Don DeLillo novel or something.
milly balgeary

« Reply #3094 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:34:16 PM »

I watched syndicated eps of the original series on tbs, or wgn, or usa back in the day, but I was too young to pay attention to particulars, and mostly soaked up the totally evil-lookin robots. I quit watching the new series on the third disc because the episodes seemed boring. The one where that blonde pilot who is "rough" and "rebellious" but skilled like tom cruise in top gun had crashlanded on a planet, was the eps I quit at.

By chance, all these months later, I pulled it out and begin watching. It got a helluvalot better. The storyline of the cyclone on Capri-something and the guy who thinks she is human finally seemed headed toward some kind of resolution (for a long time this thread would humorously pop up out of the blue for 2 minutes of them running through a deserted city, surviving on rats or whatever)...and the XO who is one of the more interesting chars, started getting a little more screen time. What annoyed me before, the doctor and the blonde cyclone in his head - I manage to ignore. I'm going to watch the 2nd eps of the finale tonight and netflixing season 2.0 and 2.5. I'm happy seeing more of the spaceship battles, now, and less episodes with plotlines that seem to be drawing on current events, like the war in Iraq. I want more space warfare!

Maaik

« Reply #3095 on: Nov 28, 2006, 12:19:29 AM »

Tom Waits is about to perform on Letterman.

edison

« Reply #3096 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:26:04 AM »

Quote from: "Maaik"
Tom Waits is about to perform on Letterman.

What did he play? How was it?
Maaik

« Reply #3097 on: Nov 28, 2006, 07:29:28 PM »

Something off the new collection.  "You got to lie to me babe..."  It was pretty great.

heather marie

« Reply #3098 on: Nov 28, 2006, 09:44:03 PM »

IS ANYONE WATCHING THIS? SERIOUSLY?

(not like it's a surprise, but jesus christ)
nonotyet

« Reply #3099 on: Nov 28, 2006, 10:13:58 PM »

Best fucking show fucking ever seriously seriously. Except, why a Neil Diamond tribute band, and why the use of a Fatboy Slim song that is like 5 years old? And how did Logan become the most sympathetic, greatest character on this show? AND WHERE IS DIEBLUCASDIE

DAMMIT
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 ... 137
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: This Is Where We Talk About The Teevee
Jump to: