Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:23:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658132 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: $200: travel vs. education  (Read 3344 times)
stephanie

« on: Dec 19, 2005, 03:49:08 PM »

I have $200 (this is a very big deal).

Should I:
    *  fly to Boston for New Year's (inexplicably dirt-cheap airfare on Northwest)
or
* apply for admission at University of Phoenix?[/list](Or neither?  The problem is that I am about to have TEN days off of work and I have NOTHING to do.  This is very bad.  I don't do well with aimlessness.)

I know, I know:  I hated school, and I've never wanted to go to college.  But since he is the dad I never really got to have, my Wonderful Boss of Love put forth the idea that I take some classes online so my brain does not continue on its merry way en route to tepid, Red Bull-soaked mush.
He keeps bringing it up mostly because our company offers 100% tuition reimbursement (although I do have to pay for the classes and pass them with a 'C' average before I'm reimbursed -- apparently most people have thousands of dollars to throw down and leave out there in advance of being paid back?).

Problems:
    * I am stupid.  Much more stupid than I even originally thought.  There is absolutely no way I could pass even a rudimentary math course (see here -- I got past the first 2 questions and that is it; absolutely no exaggeration), and I think you need to pass some tests (ACT?  SAT?) before you even fill out a college application.
    * $475 per credit hour.  Is this for real?
    * Financial aid.  What?
    * When it's a decision between something I should probably do for well-being in the long run and something that will have no effect outside of the immediate tense, I ALWAYS go with the latter, because my desperate need for instant gratification is my only vice.
    * Boston is distractingly awesome, as is my homie who lives there, and partying up with him is among my favourite things to do pretty much ever.
    * Understatement of the year:  dinner at Grasshopper with Dan > applying for the opportunity to write papers dissecting shit I don't care about.[/list]My current trend of near-constant unwieldy life path reassessments and crippling self-doubt has led to, among other things, the first time I've ever truly questioned what the fuck I'm planning on doing over the next 50-odd years aside from ruining my liver and going to indie rock shows.
    Is college going to make that much of a difference to me, personally?  Probably not.  My capacity for intellectual curiosity exists only within the confines of the English language; everyone I want to know, I already know.  So why is it so important?  Why do I need a degree to join the Peace Corps?  Am I really thinking about this or am I just panicky about getting bored?  Etc. etc. etc.

You know how the LPTJers are constantly putting every decision they have to make up for inspection/judgment by our peers?
    Have at it.
    DCDave

« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2005, 03:51:22 PM »

So the bigger problem is that a degree from the University of Phoenix will probably not get you into the Peace Corps.

If you're aiming for the Peace Corps you'll probably have to pony up and go to class in person.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
    elpollodiablo

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2005, 04:04:35 PM »

Yeah, Dave's right. You sound like you've had a rough year anyway, Steph. Do what most rocks you face.

Question, tho: If you fly to Boston, won't you be flat broke upon landing? Northwest must be having one helluva deal, indeed.

think 'on the road.'
    milly balgeary

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2005, 04:06:41 PM »

buy a pony

Bernard

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2005, 04:26:07 PM »

boston

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
    difficult

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2005, 05:00:08 PM »

$200 probably isn't going to make getting a degree that much easier, but if you maximise it, you might get a period of feeling better from it,  so I'd probably say Boston.
    But it does sound awfully like you're thinking pretty hard about what you're doing anyway, and if you're feeling in a position to do something in an active move-forward way, then going back to old habits may block that too...

Your choke chain collars remind me of summer laughter
    swilkes

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2005, 05:01:38 PM »

Do you qualify for fee exemption? Some schools offer application fee waivers.

I vote neither: fly to Seattle!
    dieblucasdie

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2005, 05:09:55 PM »

I say blow it all on dames and the ponies.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
    alexandra

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2005, 08:41:59 PM »

i say save it so you can eat.

this message is now diamonds
    leisure and poison

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2005, 09:17:48 PM »

Very Happy I need $200.
    j/k. Mostly.

Yeah! It's totally dismal and excellent!
    davy

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2005, 11:55:45 PM »

yeah. you need to save it. seriously.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
    jebreject

« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2005, 03:05:53 AM »

Quote from: "alexandra"
    i say save it so you can eat.

Quote from: "fygmynt"
    yeah. you need to save it. seriously.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
    stephanie

« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:36:46 AM »

Aw, you guys are no fun.  Sad

I'm actually much more concerned about the prospect of spending 10 straight days alone in my apartment than I am about eating or having money.
    I've been looking for places to volunteer locally but it's kinda tough because a lot of places don't even announce opportunities near the holidays since everyone's expected to be with their families, not to mention the near-impossibility of finding a secular organisation to begin with.
    alexandra

« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:40:27 AM »

it can't always be fun.

if you want to volunteer, just go to your local soup kitchen or shelter and do it.

stephanie

« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:46:29 AM »

it can't always be fun.

Can too.  I'd be a lot more comfortable sitting at home if I had a) friends or b) um.  Friends?  Very Happy

if you want to volunteer, just go to your local soup kitchen or shelter and do it.

AFAIK, Milwaukee doesn't have soup kitchens, and our FNB is (again, AFAIK) long gone.  I've scoured the internet ISO anything and have consistently come up empty-handed.  Also, volunteering up-close-and-personal with people (like in shelters, which are almost always ecumenical, and that's not an environment I'm well-suited to) is not for me.  I just want to cook & wash dishes or something?  Maybe I could get another part-time job.
    Greg Nog

« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:51:17 AM »

Since you said you're bad at math, you should spend a small portion of the money on some basic math textbook.  Alegbra for Dummies, or some such thing.  Then, save the rest of the money, and spend your vacation learning mad math skillz.
    Greg Nog

« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:54:44 AM »

Quote from: "stephanie"
    AFAIK, Milwaukee doesn't have soup kitchens

You got your All Saints Food Pantry and your Hunger Task Force of Milwaukee.  Or so local.com tells me.
    stephanie

« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:55:55 AM »

Quote from: "Greg Nog"
    Since you said you're bad at math, you should spend a small portion of the money on some basic math textbook.  Alegbra for Dummies, or some such thing.  Then, save the rest of the money, and spend your vacation learning mad math skillz.

Exclamation

This is kind of an incredible idea.  Actually, this is a really incredibly idea, although the idea of learning math on purpose makes me preemptively panicked and sorta distraught.  But then maybe I could learn enough that I would feel vaguely confident going into some standardised testing or something.  Cheers!
    alexandra

« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:58:34 AM »

it can't always be fun.

Can too.  I'd be a lot more comfortable sitting at home if I had a) friends or b) um.  Friends?  Very Happy

AFAIK, Milwaukee doesn't have soup kitchens, and our FNB is (again, AFAIK) long gone.  I've scoured the internet ISO anything and have consistently come up empty-handed.  Also, volunteering up-close-and-personal with people (like in shelters, which are almost always ecumenical, and that's not an environment I'm well-suited to) is not for me.  I just want to cook & wash dishes or something?  Maybe I could get another part-time job.

http://sam.samilwaukee.org/yourhelp/volunteer_detailNew.asp?programid=6

http://volunteermilwaukee.org/opinfo.php?id=2725

http://www.volunteermilwaukee.org/search.php?subCat=Geographic+Preference%3A+Central+Milwaukee

Em

« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2005, 12:14:42 PM »

Quote from: "Greg Nog"

Or you could get such a book from the library and still be up $200.
    woejilli

« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:20:43 PM »

stephanie,
    you already have a doctorate from the school of rock and roll. my theory is that if you enrich your more traditional education your rock to income ratio will increase too. so i am all for you going to school with that money. cause it's gonna further your pursuits more then the singular experiance of going to this particular $200 roadtrip.

content to be a hummingbird's target.
    DCDave

« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:22:50 PM »

If you're going to go to school with it, go to a local community college and not the University of Phoenix Online.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
    jebreject

« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2005, 03:25:11 PM »

We still have a Food Not Bombs, too.  I can try to get information for you.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
    alexandra

« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2005, 06:46:01 AM »

yeah, so no excuses!
    q

you can either say you wanna do it, or just go do it and not be a pusdsy or whine.

dan

« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2005, 09:53:22 AM »

I have $200 (this is a very big deal).

Should I:
      *  fly to Boston for New Year's (inexplicably dirt-cheap airfare on Northwest)
    or
    * apply for admission at University of Phoenix?[/list](Or neither?  The problem is that I am about to have TEN days off of work and I have NOTHING to do.  This is very bad.  I don't do well with aimlessness.)

Purely motivated by self-interest: Boston.

(On the subject of education, remind me to tell you - not here - about getting messaged on Myspace by a girl who was absolutely batshit about Lyndon LaRouche, and the ensuing, creepy conversation about "real education" vs. book learning - a conversation which, it must be noted, was complicated by the fact that I expect to make the dean's list for the first time this semester due in no small part to my professor's reaction to a three-and-a-half-minute ambient drone piece I recorded using a bunch of toy keyboards in my bedroom. But I digress.)
    Pages: [1] 2
    Print
    LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: $200: travel vs. education
    Jump to: