Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 20, 2014, 08:04:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658017 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 57 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: $200: travel vs. education  (Read 3310 times)
stephanie

« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2005, 10:00:24 AM »

Quote from: "alexandra"
yeah, so no excuses!
q

you can either say you wanna do it, or just go do it and not be a pusdsy or whine.

Mmm, surprisingly bitchy!  I suppose that's what I get for asking for personal advice on an internet messageboard.  Oh, wait...

As for randomly choosing volunteer opportunities:  Milwaukee's amazingly tough to get around without a car, walking more than a mile in this weather is pretty unfeasible, and buses don't run to the suburbs.  EX:  the 5 mile/15-minute drive between my apartment takes an hour and a half, 3 transfers and half a mile of walking when I use the bus.
So a lot of the stuff you linked to just isn't possible considering transit time.  Which I guess could be considered pussy-ish, but hey, I'm okay with admitting that anyone who's walked miles and stood outside waiting for hours when it's 5 degrees outside just to go volunteer is a better person than I am.

And last I heard, Jeb, Food Not Bombs had ceased operating indefinitely here -- there was some gnashing of teeth regarding the whole ordeal (which came down to -- whoa, what a surprise -- laziness) when I worked at the Co-op.  Is it back?  The website hasn't been updated and there's no up-to-date contact information.  Any info you could get would be awesome.

Anyway, fuck Boston and fuck college, I guess, since I should save my money for some huge unnamable thing that is apparently supposed to come down the line later.  I'm not leaving the house until 2006!
Greg Nog

« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2005, 10:49:14 AM »

Quote from: "stephanie"
could be considered pussy-ish
jebreject

« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2005, 03:53:57 PM »

Quote from: "stephanie"
And last I heard, Jeb, Food Not Bombs had ceased operating indefinitely here -- there was some gnashing of teeth regarding the whole ordeal (which came down to -- whoa, what a surprise -- laziness) when I worked at the Co-op.  Is it back?  The website hasn't been updated and there's no up-to-date contact information.  Any info you could get would be awesome.

All I know is that one day someone came into Outpost to get produce for FNB, and I think I've heard my friend Tom talk about it, too.  I can get you his email address, because he would be a good person to ask.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
swilkes

« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:43:04 PM »

Quote from: "dan"
(On the subject of education, remind me to tell you - not here - about getting messaged on Myspace by a girl who was absolutely batshit about Lyndon LaRouche, and the ensuing, creepy conversation about "real education" vs. book learning - a conversation which, it must be noted, was complicated by the fact that I expect to make the dean's list for the first time this semester due in no small part to my professor's reaction to a three-and-a-half-minute ambient drone piece I recorded using a bunch of toy keyboards in my bedroom. But I digress.)

Dan! You're back on LPTJ!  Very Happy
I wanna hear that story too! And congrats on the dean's list!
Good Intentions

« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2005, 09:49:36 PM »

If you want my math advice:

Any library of any value with have a huge stock of valuable books where you can learn shitloads out of. Science textbooks tend to be a very high standard, so you could pick up just about any one (I think the world of Stewart's Early Transcendental Calculus, in it's 5th edition). By far, by far the most important thing with improving one's math skills is practice. The things will make sense as you practice them, and some things don't really need to make sense (what exactly happens when you integrate isn't nearly as important as how integrals relate to where they come from).

In short:
Go to the library.
Pick a math textbook by how nice the cover looks.
Read a section on differention->antidifferentiation->integration.
Do as many of the exercises in that section as you can stand.
If you can't do those exercises, go to the section explaining how to do those sums.
Exercise those sums.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

If you're doing algebra rather than calculus, you can flip to whatever section looks interesting and do that. I'm not the person to ask about algebra, though I can warn you that some of the advanced stuff is from another planet.

I'm not as good at following this plan as I should be, but I promise you it's how things get done. All the love.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: $200: travel vs. education
Jump to: