Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 01:34:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658134 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 43 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Phantasm  (Read 807 times)
milly balgeary

« on: Oct 16, 2005, 03:10:28 AM »

As a youngster I caught a free weekend of HBO and watch'd Phantasm II and I was like "what is this?!" and later on, when I was nearing the majority I rented the first movie, Phantasm. Tonight I was at this video store with a friend of mine who I characterize as someone who always has candy on 'em, no matter where they are, always with the laffy taffy. But, that's okay. Anyways, I'm like, "Phantasm!"

It's been years. HAVE you seen this movie lately? I highly recommend. The same shot of the funeral home appears more than 8 times. The story, if you haven't see it, or need a refresher. The Tall Man is in disguise at a funeral home and steals corpses for another dimension. There's no real story, actually, but this movie contains the BEST lines ever. Such as when the young kid, who follows his brotherl like a "STALKER" tails him to a bar and watches his brother pick up the only other person in the bar, a blonde with gross makeup. They leave the bar and the young brother follows.

They go to the cemetary. The younger brother watches his older brother unlace the blonde woman's top and her breasts spill out, they are the sort of big breasts that point down. The older brother says, "wow." The younger, in the trees, watching, echoes him. "Wow."

Regardless of the fact that at one point one of the supporting characters, who takes a bigger role in the Phantasm sequels, drives an ice cream truck and at one point shows up at the older brother's house and they start jamming, trading off acoustic and electric solos for no reason - with ice cream man still dressed in his bowtie, -- the older brother is busy with the blonde chick, and the younger brother hears a noise after the "wow" moment. These "dwarves" in brown hooded cloaks attack him. He freaks out, jumps out of hiding, and runs past his brother screaming! His brother catches up. The younger brother explains that he was following and then says there was something brown that attacked him in the woods. The best line ever. His brother says,

"They were probably just horny gophers!"

auto-da-fey

« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »

I was going to post about revisiting Phantasm but figured milly might have already covered it. Apparently so. I think all he missed was the portal to the Dune-like red planet where robed dwarves in barrels are used for slave labor.

although this--

Regardless of the fact that at one point one of the supporting characters, who takes a bigger role in the Phantasm sequels, drives an ice cream truck and at one point shows up at the older brother's house and they start jamming, trading off acoustic and electric solos for no reason -

misses a nicely nuanced touch that gives a reason for the scene, since Reggie the ice cream man does later flash back to touching the tuning fork during that jam when he puts both hands to the aforementioned portal, unleashing winds that blow at least 200 leaves--the budget must have been just big enough for one bag--around the mausoleum. 

also, so I guess Phantasm V comes out in 2011? was there a part IV? I must have missed that.
milly balgeary

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »

Man I was like what a great idea for a thread and ...I never put 2&2 together about the tuning fork

Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Phantasm
Jump to: