Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 01, 2014, 01:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 133
Print
Author Topic: Current reading material?  (Read 228989 times)
RavingLunatic

« Reply #3125 on: Dec 15, 2006, 07:28:34 AM »

Quote from: "rockmeamadeus"

Heh Chompskee is hell of cranky.

Fucking sharp insight, tho.

I read this at the advice of Chavez. Thanks, Hugo!

Yeah, Chomsky rules. I've read a ton of his stuff, and I've got like 20 CD's burnt with various speeches of his. I'm still blown away that Hugo actually pulled that sucker out in front of the UN. He's gotta be the coolest world leader ever.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #3126 on: Dec 15, 2006, 10:01:27 AM »

Fucking right. I mean, it wasn't a SHOE... but still really fucking awesome. Dude has his faults (Chavez, I mean) but he keeps it real.

The only stuff I'd read by Chomps previously were his works on anarchy, all of which were spectacular and lucid and free of bullshit. I'm enjoying the hell out of Hegemony but my coming week looks like this:

Today: finish term paper on William Blake and prophecy. Hand in. Drive 5 hours to see the Hold Stead again. Drive back.
Saturday: sleep in. Work noon-midnight.
Sunday: work 8-5, christmas party 5 to midnight. Work christmas party. Open bar, great food, sleigh rides through town with Jager-mister. Amazing.
Monday-Friday: Finals week.

So I will not be able to touch said book again for like a week but I am excited to return to it, like an ex-girlfriend and a drunken phonecall at 3 AM.
jebreject

« Reply #3127 on: Dec 15, 2006, 04:04:28 PM »

More like CHUMPsky amirite?

HHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #3128 on: Dec 16, 2006, 01:14:02 PM »

Ahahahahahahhahaha

wait i don't get it what
milly balgeary

« Reply #3129 on: Dec 19, 2006, 04:07:48 PM »

the ear, the eye, and the arm, by nancy farmer.

YA book set in a future zimbabwe.

rockmeamadeus

« Reply #3130 on: Dec 21, 2006, 01:47:50 AM »

Man, I tell you. Nothing helps me with the S.A.D. better than a little bit of Greek tragedy. Seriously, it ought to be a cure. The Bacchae is really bringing me around.
Tlon

« Reply #3131 on: Dec 23, 2006, 02:16:06 PM »

I LOVED The Ear The Eye And The Arm when i read it! I picked up a used copy out of nostaliga... might reread it.

Haruki Murakami - Dance Dance Dance. Since starting it i've started moving into Murakmami mind mode, which is why i'm feeling lost in a formless void at 6am

Greg Nog

« Reply #3132 on: Dec 28, 2006, 03:10:23 PM »

Hey, has anyone read anything by Jonathan Ames?  I was thinking about reading some more Wodehouse, and a friend of mine recommended I try out Ames's novel Wake Up, Sir! instead.  Is it any good?
hannah

« Reply #3133 on: Dec 28, 2006, 07:37:01 PM »

I am reading The Diary of Alice James. She is sister to William and Henry and (natch) the two other brothers. Her diary is pretty incredible, I'd say.
Sing The Children Over

« Reply #3134 on: Dec 30, 2006, 05:47:44 PM »

I finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff, but I found it pretty tedious to be honest.

Now reading Perfume by Patrick Suskind which is only so-so.

The almighty dollar it ain't what it used to be.
cool banana

« Reply #3135 on: Dec 30, 2006, 06:24:01 PM »

David Foster Wallace - The Broom of the System

Also, Nick Hornby - Fever Pitch

She's like, so whatever
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #3136 on: Jan 05, 2007, 10:04:07 AM »

My wife got me Cormac McCarthy's The Road for Christmas.  I know, you guys all read it months ago, I'm behind the times.  Anyway, I decided to wait until after the holidays to read it and I'm glad I did, 'cause I got about 50 pages into it this morning and I can tell it's going to tear me up pretty bad.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Greg Nog

« Reply #3137 on: Jan 05, 2007, 11:48:43 AM »

Yeah, it's great for that!  I kinda wanted to get it for my dad for Christmas, but then thought that might be a little weird.  So I got him John Hodgman's "The Areas of My Expertise" instead.

I'm about to finish "The Stars My Destination," and then I'm gonna try out Jonathan Ames's "Wake Up, Sir!"  

I was also thinking about reading Tristram Shandy -- anyone have any opinions on that book?
Mesmerize

« Reply #3138 on: Jan 05, 2007, 11:44:54 PM »

I'm reading Infinite Jest!  It's long but going by really quickly.  I like it a lot.

I'm also reading that Chomsky book, but in my mind it isn't better than his other book What Uncle Sam Really Wants, a book that says essentially the same thing except less verbosely and more succinctly.

thus the hearsomeness of the burger felicitates the whole of the polis.
girl

« Reply #3139 on: Jan 06, 2007, 12:01:17 AM »

Quote from: "Greg Nog"

I was also thinking about reading Tristram Shandy -- anyone have any opinions on that book?

Not yet, but there's an unread copy in my increasingly dusty and teetering "pile of books waiting to be read".  Let me know when you start on it and we can read it together!

this is a story and you're not in it
heather marie

« Reply #3140 on: Jan 06, 2007, 12:25:26 AM »

Has anyone read the new Joan Didion collection? The library at school is out of it (supposed to be returned in a week--keeping fingers crossed) and I want to read it super bad. Report back, yo.
Lucy

« Reply #3141 on: Jan 06, 2007, 09:12:46 AM »

i didn't buy it because i already owned political fictions, slouching towards bethlehem, and where i was from (have only read slouching towards bethlehem so far) but i'm still tempted by it. its 19.80 on amazon vs 30 msrp.
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #3142 on: Jan 06, 2007, 12:46:51 PM »

The Brothers Karamazov, a translation I haven't read yet, the Pevear and Volokhonsky one. I got time off schools and am going to burn through this in two weeks.

Man though seriously guys I love this book.
Maaik

« Reply #3143 on: Jan 06, 2007, 02:11:47 PM »

I used a Borders gift card today to buy a copy of Against the Day and the January issue of Harpers.

Overheard while shopping around the Borders:
"Give me a Tom Clancy book any day."

VOM.

Also, in the music section, I found three Wrens albums: Meadowlands, Silver (!!) and Secaucus (!!!).  So if anyone's within driving distance of the Borders on Ponce De Leon, the Wrens first two albums are there for 12 bucks each.

I need anne the man lessons
RavingLunatic

« Reply #3144 on: Jan 06, 2007, 02:14:46 PM »

The Brothers Karamazov, a translation I haven't read yet, the Pevear and Volokhonsky one. I got time off schools and am going to burn through this in two weeks.

My favorite part of that book was towards the very end with that, like, 12-year-old schoolboy. I can't remember his name, but that dude was awesome.

RavingLunatic

« Reply #3145 on: Jan 06, 2007, 02:15:57 PM »

Quote from: "Maaik"
Overheard while shopping around the Borders:
"Give me a Tom Clancy book any day."

I started reading a Tom Clancy book once when I was in high school ("Rainbow Six" because somebody told me the video game was awesome). I made it about halfway through and quit.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #3146 on: Jan 06, 2007, 02:28:41 PM »

Also, in the music section, I found three Wrens albums: Meadowlands, Silver (!!) and Secaucus (!!!).  So if anyone's within driving distance of the Borders on Ponce De Leon, the Wrens first two albums are there for 12 bucks each.

so weird. were they just reissued, or have those been languishing in a borders warehouse for most of a decade?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #3147 on: Jan 06, 2007, 02:33:08 PM »

Quote from: "RavingLunatic"

My favorite part of that book was towards the very end with that, like, 12-year-old schoolboy. I can't remember his name, but that dude was awesome.

Absolutely. That part choked me all up, and I'm a tough motherfucker.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #3148 on: Jan 06, 2007, 02:51:58 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"

so weird. were they just reissued, or have those been languishing in a borders warehouse for most of a decade?

There were rumor that they were going to be reissued several months ago I remember.

Maaik

« Reply #3149 on: Jan 06, 2007, 08:53:43 PM »

Quote from: "RavingLunatic"
Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"

There were rumor that they were going to be reissued several months ago I remember.

Yep, they're reissues.  I just examined my copy of Secaucus, which as eve'one knows came out on Grass.  The copy I saw today was issued under the new cursed name, Wind Up.

I'd still recommend buying the boots directly from the band.  Because fuck Wind Up.

I need anne the man lessons
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 133
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Current reading material?
Jump to: