Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 21, 2014, 05:15:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658303 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 133
Print
Author Topic: Current reading material?  (Read 231606 times)
Lalitree
Administrator

« on: Aug 03, 2004, 11:03:32 AM »

Me: Just finished Cryptonomicon, just started David Foster Wallace's new story collection Oblivion. You?
TheNames

« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2004, 11:07:37 AM »

Just finished reading Orwell's Coming Up For Air and just started Frank Conroy's Stop Time, and i don't plan on reading about childhood reminiscing for a long while after this.

If I had a nickel for every cigarette your mother smoked...
I'd be dead.
trailofmusic

« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2004, 11:22:51 AM »

I finished Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude recently.  What a wild ride that was!
Anthony M

« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2004, 11:29:24 AM »

For some reason I've been treating John Huston's autobiography and this Fall bio I've already plenty like the I Ching, flipping to random pages and reading for a bit while at Taco Bell. Which is frequent.

My truthful, yet arrogant and humorous tirade is over.
justinh

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2004, 11:34:01 AM »

in the midst of steinbeck's east of eden.  sort of epic, sort of enthralling, as per usual.
polishq

« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2004, 12:14:43 PM »

I'm on a big Thomas Pynchon kick this summer, having read "The Crying of Lot 49" and "V.," and now starting on "Gravity's Rainbow," which will take me forever.

Recently I've also read "Lolita" by Nabokov, "The Stranger" by Camus, "Animal Farm" by Orwell, "The Body Artist" by DeLillo, "Post Office" by Bukowski, "American Psycho" by Ellis, "The Sirens of Titan" by Vonnegut, and "The Neverending Story" by Ende.

All since May! No joke!

arthur bond.
www.livejournal.com/~mapscomic
"fuck this band, because they swear too much." -mclusky
Lalitree
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2004, 12:25:59 PM »

I read The Crying of Lot 49 earlier this summer too. Found it much easier to follow than GR, which I will pick back up one of these days (I tried it a couple years ago after reading Infinite Jest, since the consensus seemed to be "if you like Wallace, you'll love Pynchon", but I didn't make it).
wordsofglass

« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2004, 01:03:26 PM »

Quote from: "trailofmusic"
I finished Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude recently.  What a wild ride that was!

I just started that! It's pretty confusing with all the Jose's. I was loaned it by the girl who got me started on tMG actually.

I just finished Survivor by Chuck. He's pretty awesome. Before that I read Stardust by Neil Gaiman, who is far and above in the art of spellcasting. I finished that book within a span of 36 hours and finished Neverwhere earlier this year over the course of 3 days.
Kath

« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2004, 01:24:53 PM »

I'm reading Ellen Foster by some woman named Gibbons for a writing class. It's pretty good; even though I usually abhor female coming of age stories, it's written very well.  I just finished Light In August by Faulkner.

Nothing can kill the grimace.
sedita

« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2004, 01:32:19 PM »

i just finished 'looking for bobowicz', daniel pinkwater's new one,  actually, i'm on a bit of a pinkwater spree.... can't get enough of that guy.
am also in the middle of the first installment of garcia-marquez's memior.
for those of you reading 100 years of solitude, keep at it, it's amazing!
and pick up his memior, most of the events in that 100 years actually
happened to him in his life. it's amazing!  and it reads just like one of his novels, quite beautiful.

reading daniel pinkwater and gabriel garcia-marquez back to back
is scrambling my noodle.

so remember, on a scale from one to awesome, i'm super great.
luanda

« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2004, 01:55:34 PM »

ft
justinh

« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2004, 02:17:25 PM »

Quote from: "wordsofglass"

Before that I read Stardust by Neil Gaiman, who is far and above in the art of spellcasting. I finished that book within a span of 36 hours and finished Neverwhere earlier this year over the course of 3 days.

neil lives in the town where i grew up. i here he throws excellent parties, and yes, he does live in a creepy victorian mansion type of place down by the river.  haven't read stardust, but neverwhere and american gods are entertaining, if sorta cheesy books.
unleavenedprofundityloaf

« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2004, 02:32:04 PM »

I just finished 'What We Lost' by Dale Peck, which was just incredible. I'm about halfway through 'Slaughterhouse 5' by Kurt the master Vonnegut for the millionth time and I also just started 'The Virgin Suicides'  Laughing

Anyone for another game of 'Rasputin's Silver Veil'?
jebreject

« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2004, 02:41:13 PM »

I'm currently reading The Favorite Game by Leonard Cohen.  Was reading Tropic of Cancer but got kind of bored with it.  I've been reading too much bored-white-men stuff lately, I think.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Nickosaurus

« Reply #14 on: Aug 03, 2004, 03:14:22 PM »

I just finished David Sedaris' new book, Dress your family in courderoy and denim, and it was fantastic. I love that style of writing.

This must be where pies go when they die
Kath

« Reply #15 on: Aug 03, 2004, 04:42:21 PM »

Quote from: "Nickosaurus"
I just finished David Sedaris' new book, Dress your family in courderoy and denim.

Goddamn. I brought that to Italy with me, and a powerpar exploded in my bag, leaving it unreadable. I had to throw it out. I made my friend read them aloud to me, but we didn't get to finish. Sad

Nothing can kill the grimace.
Ampersand

« Reply #16 on: Aug 03, 2004, 04:57:07 PM »

My AP American History course is requiring me to read an autobiography from a short list they gave us all for summer reading. I'd narrowed it down to Howard Zinn's Can't be Neutral On A Moving Train and Tom Browkaw's the Greatest Generation. I was going to read The Greatest Generation because with a title like that I assumed it would be an account of the lives and wacky antics of mid-western Quakers in the 18th century and their foot fetish society and culture. Boy was I upset when I found myself mistaken.

I'll be reading the Zinn book.

WOLF-HEADED CONJURER.
Tad

« Reply #17 on: Aug 03, 2004, 04:57:08 PM »

Let me be the next to announce that I am reading One Hundred Years of Solitude in conjunction with my GRE preparation book, and Commodify Your Dissent, a collection of essays from The Baffler.  

My first experience with Marquez (Chronicle of a Death Foretold) was slightly less confusing, and I am grateful to the publishers, or to Marquez, whomever decided it would be a good idea to include a family tree in the front of the book.  Let me also say that confusion, should not be equated with dislike.  My reading has been punctuated by a number of unfortunate interruptions; more than I would have liked.  This may also have contributed to my inability to properly internalize the events thus far.  I'm steadily progressing and beginning to sort through the story in my head, which makes the entire process more rewarding.  The one word that recurs (not in the story itself, but in my thinking about the story) is ambiguity, and I mean that in the more positive sense than that word has ever known.    

And I've managed to borrow several other Marquez books from my aunt.  The next few weeks should prove rewarding...
Brian

« Reply #18 on: Aug 03, 2004, 05:01:40 PM »

I'm reading Emma- really excellent- understatement I know...

Otherwise, I've bought some Joan Didion stuff- read The White Album- thought it was ok, but to be honest I didn't get a lot of the references- now reading A Book of Common Prayer, and that seems more my type of thing.

Can I get people's opinions on this? I finished Updike's Rabbit cycle a while ago- I'm trying to get my friends through it too- do people like it? Is it really famous in America? (Hardly anybody I know in Britain has read much Updike). Anyway- what is your favourite Rabbit book? I liked Rabbit is Rich, with Rabbit At Rest a close second- Rabbit Remembered was the biggest disappointment, I suppose because Harry wasn't in it. Comments welcomed!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #19 on: Aug 03, 2004, 05:10:58 PM »

wow, you guys are far more "literary" than i. i work in a genre bookstore (specifically, we carry mystery, science fiction, fantasy, and horror), so a lot of what i read fits into those categories. then again, that's always been true--now i'm just aware of a lot more of it than i used to be. lately i've been reading crime novels--"skinny dip" by carl hiaasen (who is one of my favorite authors ever), "a darkness more than night" by michael connelly, and "captains outrageous" by joe r. lansdale were all read by me within the last week or two. i've also read a couple of things that fit in with the style you guys seem to favor lately--"middlesex" by jeffrey eugenides, for one, and "running with scissors" by augusten burroughs, for another. i'm currently working my way through "against all enemies: inside america's war on terror," by richard a. clarke, but am reading various novels at the same time (i'm just not always ready for extremely detailed political writing). also, i read a biography of philip k. dick recently called "i am alive and you are dead", by a french writer named emmanuel carrere. boy, that guy was inSANE. and finally, i recently read a book called "kill your idols," edited by jim derogatis. it was sort of his answer to "stranded", which greil marcus put together in the late 70s, in which he had different rock critics write an essay about an album they'd want to have with them if they were stranded on a desert island. "kill your idols" takes the opposite tack--derogatis got a bunch of younger, up-and-coming critics to each write about an album that is revered by the rolling stone types who see rock n roll as having a "canon". they were all to explain exactly why they HATED the album they picked. yes, a book full of bad reviews--it was surprisingly entertaining, though i sure did get enervated at a few of the writers. weirdly enough, i agreed more with the guy who tore apart springsteen's "born to run", an album i love, than i did with the guy who tore apart "born in the usa", an album i hate. also, the essays attacking radiohead's "ok computer" and wilco's "yankee hotel foxtrot" drove me nuts. but oh well, it was still a worthwhile book to read.

by the way--lalitree, "cryptonomicon" may very well be my favorite book ever. i definitely consider neal stephenson to be one of my top three favorite writers of all time. have you seen the trilogy he's currently working on? it takes place in the 1600s and 1700s, and all of the main characters are ancestors of characters in "cryptonomicon". the first two, "quicksilver" and "the confusion", are out in hardcover now, and the third one, "the system of the world," comes out next month. and i can't wait.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
jebreject

« Reply #20 on: Aug 03, 2004, 05:32:32 PM »

Quote from: "Brian"
Otherwise, I've bought some Joan Didion stuff- read The White Album- thought it was ok, but to be honest I didn't get a lot of the references- now reading A Book of Common Prayer, and that seems more my type of thing.

So far I've only read Play It As It Lays, but I really really liked that, so I'll probably check out some of her other stuff.

Andrew, is Joe R. Lansdale the guy that wrote "Bubba Ho-Tep"?  If so I'd definitely like to read some of his stuff.

Emore Leonard is the greatest crime writer in the universe.

giant_robot7

« Reply #21 on: Aug 03, 2004, 05:33:57 PM »

I've been on a magical realism kick for the last year or so, but always end up preferring Borges or Julio Cortazar to Marquez. I can't quite put my finger on why (except for the obvious fact that Borges understood literally EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING).

Anyway, right now I'm alternating between Naked Lunch and William James' Varieties of Religious Experience.
jebreject

« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2004, 05:36:26 PM »

I've never been able to finish Naked Lunch.

william

« Reply #23 on: Aug 03, 2004, 05:47:12 PM »

Don Quixote - Cervantes
A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy O'Toole
Herzog - Saul Bellow
If On a Winter's Night A Traveller - Italo Calvino (this book is so great, it makes my head spin on its axis. wheels within wheels within wheels)
Slouching Towards Bethlehem - Joan Didion

No bottle has he anymore.
sedita

« Reply #24 on: Aug 03, 2004, 06:07:38 PM »

hey william!

i love 'if on a winter's....'
actually, love all of calvino's books.
'difficults loves' is my porch reading right now.
and 'baron in the trees' is one of my top 10 books ever.

phew.

j.

so remember, on a scale from one to awesome, i'm super great.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 133
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Current reading material?
Jump to: