Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 01, 2014, 10:25:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 56 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I need help regarding job offers  (Read 1533 times)
RoyBiggins

« on: Feb 07, 2006, 03:24:35 PM »

I've got a bunch of job interviews right now, and it feels like I'm going to have three job offers in the next couple of weeks.  How in God's name do you deal with it?  Say I get a job at Company #1, but then in two weeks, Company #3 (who has The Greatest Benefits Package Ever Seen) give you an interview?  What the hell do you do?  Because part of me wants to turn down the interview #1 has given me, just because #3 would kick so much more ass.

After a year of unemployment and low-income jobs, will salaried jobs begin falling at my feat like so many vanquished foes?!  Stay tuned.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
DCDave

« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2006, 03:25:10 PM »

You ask company #3 to give you an earlier interview.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:32:20 PM »

What is this country coming to?  Can't a man walk down the street without being offered a job?

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:40:56 PM »

i say take job #1 and then flake out on it if you get a chance at job #3.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
DCDave

« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:44:32 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"

This is totally unethical.

nonotyet

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:53:07 PM »

Well, what if you replace the words "flake out" with "thank them kindly but say you got a better offer/give immediate notice/etc?" Because that's what I was thinking but I couldn't think of a way to phrase it, as brain no worky today.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:08:59 PM »

Quote from: "DCDave"

They can fire you with no notice for virtually any reason, why don't the same conditions apply to quitting?  I think it's bullshit in the American workforce that the employee is expected to show loyalty and the employer is not.

RoyBiggins

« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:11:08 PM »

See, that's exactly my "what I want to do" and "why I suspect it's a bad idea" laid out right there.  I may have to do it, though, unless Company #1 is going to pay for me to belong to a gym and reimburse me for 100% of my MFA tuition.  Yowza.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
DCDave

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:11:34 PM »

Quote from: "dieblucasdie"

They can fire you with no notice for virtually any reason, why don't the same conditions apply to quitting?  I think it's bullshit in the American workforce that the employee is expected to show loyalty and the employer is not.

Because in those two weeks, you're eliminating the possibilities of OTHER PEOPLE HAVING THAT JOB.  You're basically forcing someone else's unemployment.

"Yeah, I'll take the job" "Ok, lemme call all the people who were 2nd and down in line and tell them they didn't get it"

Two weeks later

"Peace"

In addition, the company might have to recompete the job, depending on how their hiring process works, or the department might cut the position entirely, depending on how many man hours the first job search took.

RoyBiggins

« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:12:22 PM »

Re: loyalty in the workplace, wouldn't you fucking hate it if they did that to you?  Then why would you do it to them?

I see your point, I'm just sayin'.  I'm a golden rule kinda guy.

DCDave

« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:13:15 PM »

Quote from: "RoyBiggins"

See, that's exactly my "what I want to do" and "why I suspect it's a bad idea" laid out right there.  I may have to do it, though, unless Company #1 is going to pay for me to belong to a gym and reimburse me for 100% of my MFA tuition.  Yowza.

I would ask company 3 to move up your interview, and tell them that you have an interview with another firm, and are in need of employment.  If they're seriously considering hiring you, they shouldn't have a problem.  I would also tell company #1, NOW, that you're also interviewing with another company on whatever date you get the interview re-set to.  Again, if they're serious about hiring you, they should be accomodating.  You just have to sort of put your best foot forward on it.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:20:28 PM »

and actually, i can see where that sort of thing could work to one's advantage, dave--i.e. put the companies in a position to get in a bidding war over you.

on the other hand, if it doesn't work, then you're still stuck with the same position you were in before.

so maybe the best advice is, try what dave's suggesting, and if people aren't willing to be accomodating, do what i suggested (though keep in mind i was being somewhat flip when i said "flake out"--try to be nice and as diplomatic as possible about it).

dieblucasdie

« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:22:59 PM »

so what's the magical amount of time you have to know you'll be able to commit before you take the job?  And if it's unethical based on the fact that it screws a hypothetical alternate worker, isn't it still unethical even if he's up front with them?

DCDave

« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:24:02 PM »

I would also not have companies enter into a bidding war over me.  I've been in the position to do it, between three companies, and instead I said "Look, I want to work with your company.  I'm not going to have you go into a bidding war, but, at the end of the day, I'd like you to match whatever offer I get from the other companies in the first round." They did, and they appreciated that I was honest with them, and they gave me a gigantic bonus and a big raise my first year.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:27:18 PM »

i would assume that dave sees it as unethical unless you're committing to an indefinite amount of time. i can kinda see his point, but i'm with you for the most part, chris: why put the interests of a company you may or may not end up working for and the interests of some hypothetical other applicant for the job (who really may not even exist) above your own? i am not into screwing people over, to say the LEAST, but sometimes you've gotta put yourself first.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:28:06 PM »

I would also not have companies enter into a bidding war over me.  I've been in the position to do it, between three companies, and instead I said "Look, I want to work with your company.  I'm not going to have you go into a bidding war, but, at the end of the day, I'd like you to match whatever offer I get from the other companies in the first round." They did, and they appreciated that I was honest with them, and they gave me a gigantic bonus and a big raise my first year.

what if you had no preference as to which one you worked with? then would you let them get into a bidding war over you?

DCDave

« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:29:30 PM »

Quote from: "dieblucasdie"
so what's the magical amount of time you have to know you'll be able to commit before you take the job?  And if it's unethical based on the fact that it screws a hypothetical alternate worker, isn't it still unethical even if he's up front with them?

There's not a magic rule.  The general rule of thumb is: "If you're planning on leaving the job that you're interviewing for for a job that you're interviewing for in a week, you don't accept the job offer".  Also, your offer letter may have a minimum period of employment, and to sign it and then violate it can put you in some serious shit.  In addition, by accepting a job offer at one place and interviewing at another, you may be in violation of a non-compete agreement, if you've signed one.

what if you had no preference as to which one you worked with? then would you let them get into a bidding war over you?

Sure, but the chances of being in this position are remarkably low.  Every company is different.

Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: I need help regarding job offers
Jump to: