Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:30:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657898 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 79 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: New piece up: Only Time  (Read 10403 times)
Good Intentions

« Reply #75 on: Feb 22, 2006, 12:25:19 PM »

Quote from: "alex"
The most familiar one for me is "oh, but we knew nothing of it. none of us had anything to do with it."

You're right with that, of course, with the universal-acceptance-of-nacism card being played as well - if everybody is guilty, nobody is guilty, best just to forget all about it.

That's what I understand to be the motivation behind the ban on nazi propagandic symbols.

As for a description of and attack on this view, I again recommend Hannah Arendt's excellent Eichmann in Jerusalem.
Antero

« Reply #76 on: Feb 22, 2006, 11:22:54 PM »

I don't see what fighting-Nazism-head-on has about it that is interfered with by no-swastikas-in-propaganda.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
cold before sunrise

« Reply #77 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:45:09 AM »

Quote from: "DCDave"
Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
too bad the movies are better than the books because tolkien is a shitty writer.

YEAH I SAID IT

YES!

haha... werd.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
Wally

« Reply #78 on: Feb 24, 2006, 02:37:39 AM »

Quote from: "Antero"
I don't see what fighting-Nazism-head-on has about it that is interfered with by no-swastikas-in-propaganda.

Some people think in symbols.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
dumbfish

« Reply #79 on: Feb 24, 2006, 10:21:33 AM »

I think in Morse Code

...   ..   --
--  ...  .--  --
...  ....  ..  --

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
Antero

« Reply #80 on: Feb 24, 2006, 06:01:38 PM »

I think mostly in foods.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
ici la bas

« Reply #81 on: Feb 26, 2006, 02:46:40 PM »

John--since you're always talking about love and Catholicism, what's your take on Messiaen?  He's one of my favorite composers.
John
edit0r

« Reply #82 on: Feb 26, 2006, 02:58:09 PM »

Quote from: "ici la bas"
John--since you're always talking about love and Catholicism, what's your take on Messiaen?  He's one of my favorite composers.

don't know his work well enough to have much of a take - last time I heard him I enjoyed it but that's really all I can say
Maaik

« Reply #83 on: Feb 26, 2006, 07:19:42 PM »

Quote from: "John"
Quote from: "ici la bas"

don't know his work well enough to have much of a take - last time I heard him I enjoyed it but that's really all I can say

Quatuor pour la Fin du Temps (Quartet for the End of Time) is seriously the SHIT.  He composed it while interred in a concentration camp for the only instruments around: violin, cello, piano and clarinette.  It's a very haunting piece.

I need anne the man lessons
theartlessmonster

« Reply #84 on: Feb 26, 2006, 08:20:13 PM »

we should start a classical music thread somewhere, but i guess here is kool-aid too.

so lately I have been very into violin adagios, in particular Violin Concerto in D major, op.35, Erich Wolfgang Korngold and Orchestral Suite No.3 in D major, "Air on a G string", Johann Sebastian Bach

Don't be a swiss roll.
Wamby

« Reply #85 on: Feb 28, 2006, 11:23:47 AM »

Quote from: "theartlessmonster"
we should start a classical music thread somewhere, but i guess here is kool-aid too.

so lately I have been very into violin adagios, in particular Violin Concerto in D major, op.35, Erich Wolfgang Korngold and Orchestral Suite No.3 in D major, "Air on a G string", Johann Sebastian Bach

And Korngold is an interesting figure when you're tracing the change from 19th century Romanticism to 20th centry whatever (is it still "modernism" if it's 50-years-old?).  He was from a German-Jewish family in Brno, in Moravia.  He went to Vienna to study.  This is just like Mahler and Freud and others who were born in predominently Slavic areas of the Austro-Hungarian empire.  Korngold was a child prodigy who wrote music much more like R. Strauss during an era we more remember for Schoenberg, Webern, and Berg.

Listen to Die Todt Stadt.  Awesome opera of his.

It's funny to think how important prominent Jews were in the cultural life of Vienna at this time, while there was simultaneously a kind of modernisation of anti-Semitism in politics from Karl Luger who was the mayor.  I feel a little embarassed bringing this up while there's someone posting from Vienna.  I mostly know what I read in books...

Anyway, Korngold fled Austria before the Anschluss with the Nazis, and wound up in LA writing film music.  LA in the late 40s and 50s sounds pretty funny, what with all the intellectuals running around. Schoenberg all pissed because tours of the stars passing his house to go to Shirley Temple's next door. Adorno trying to break into screenwriting.

I don't know how this fits into the whole Wagner/R. Strauss stuff, but I figure it was really hard to justify leaving unless you were Jewish.  Perhaps Nazism just looked like a more aggressive form of political and cultural currents that had been around, especially when it just started.  That's why it's so dangerous, I think, because complacency was crucial to its rise.

Also, it's interesting that Toscanini who said he'd never play Strauss's work.  Toscanini was a proud and brave anti-Fascist who stood up publicly to Mussolini at a time when not many others did.  He was also a dick.

Sorry y'all had to bear the brunt of my undergrad flashbacks.  This is my first time on these forums, and I like them a lot.
Greg Nog

« Reply #86 on: Feb 28, 2006, 11:25:59 AM »

Quote from: "Wamby"
Sorry y'all had to bear the brunt of my undergrad flashbacks.  This is my first time on these forums, and I like them a lot.

Yay!  We hope you post more!

Your undergrad flashbacks are no worse than anyone else's here, so no apologies needed.
alistarr*

« Reply #87 on: Mar 01, 2006, 05:04:34 AM »

greg nog, front of house for LPTJ

Wink
Greg Nog

« Reply #88 on: Mar 01, 2006, 11:38:53 AM »

Welcome to Last Plane, how can I help you?
coldforge

« Reply #89 on: Mar 01, 2006, 05:40:42 PM »

I spent at least a couple minutes looking for an appropriate Olive Garden comic to photoshop, but then I gave up. I was gonna do the one that said, "Y'all got Mountain Goats?"

l'era del terzo mondo.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: New piece up: Only Time
Jump to: