Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 26, 2014, 03:38:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658138 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 43 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22
Print
Author Topic: Thread for lusting after expensive items we can't afford.  (Read 79774 times)
The_Tourist

« Reply #400 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:11:53 PM »

pee before the show

we have the money for missiles and fun
Maaik

« Reply #401 on: Oct 29, 2007, 10:34:26 PM »

I'm using an r09 tomorrow night. First time ever recording. Any advice?

Turn the display brightness all the way up.  Might wanna bring a flashlight, desk lamp and some candles.

We switched over to the r09 from the M-Audio Microtrack 24/96, and I'm still kinda torn on which I prefer.  I seemed to be able to get better levels out of the Microtrack, i.e. it  got way more sensitivity out of the mic.  I like that the Microtrack recharges via USB, but I don't like that if it dies in the field, I'm shit outta luck, whereas with the R09, I can just pop in a couple more AAs.  I like that the Microtrack gives me the option of using 2 microphones.

What I hate about both models is the 1/8" or 1/4" input only.  That bulky-ass Zoom H4's got those nifty XLR/quarter inch ins which should be more widely used, I think.

As far as advice for ya, Howard, I'd say if you can, get to the venue as early as possible and stake out your real estate.  If possible, get there during or before sound check so you can set your level and work out where best to put your mic.  If you can, set the recorder on a table or something where you can see it and make adjustments if you need to, but not have to hold it, because jostling the jack might cause noise in your recording.  The battery life on the R09 is pretty good, but bring extras (always always) and if it's at all possible, use AC power.  Bring a small flashlight (I keep a mini Maglite in my guitar gear box--it's a fucking necessity in virtually any dark, shitty club in the world).  It takes up more disk space, but set it to record in uncompressed wav rather than mp3.  Bring headphones.  Keep 'em plugged in.  I wear mine the whole time I'm recording so that I'm hearing what the machine's hearing so I know I'm recording what I need to.

Most of this is based on the assumption that you'll be using an external mic.  If you're using the built-in stereo mic, most of this still applies, especially the no-touchie thing.

What are you recording?

I need anne the man lessons
howardfinkel

« Reply #402 on: Oct 29, 2007, 10:44:14 PM »

hm thanks a bunch for the advice (especially about peeing before the show, not that me peeing in the middle of the recording wouldn't be awesome in a retro-Leslie-Nielsen-Naked-Gun type way), I'm arriving at 7:25pm into Milwaukee for the 8pm (is it cool to say tMg here?) show. I'm guessing the doors open at 7 so it'll be somewhat filled but hopefully Jeb and the others will save me a spot toward the front or I'll just work my way up there. I'm thinking I can't record out in the open b/c the venue says no recorders allowed. I have an external clip-on Sony ECM-719 stereo mic. All this stuff was literally sent out to me today by a friend in California. I'm getting advice from him too, but I figured the more advice the better. Any ideas as to where to clip it on me? Kinda nervous I'm just gonna mess this up

EDIT: I'm new here too so I should probably say that my name's really Mike, I'm 18, living in Chicago for school, used to live outside of Philly. howard finkel is just a world wrestling referee that I've taken to.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2007, 10:49:23 PM by howardfinkel » Logged

Maaik

« Reply #403 on: Oct 29, 2007, 10:51:01 PM »

haha, I recorded a Gandalfs show here in Atlanta a while back with a small stereo mic pushed through the button hole of the jacket I was wearing.  Don't stand right up front, try to get a spot a few rows back, center stage, so you get a good wash of sound from the PA.

I need anne the man lessons
Good Intentions

« Reply #404 on: Oct 29, 2007, 11:13:27 PM »

A fine-tip PARKER 51 fountain pen to replace the one I have that got cracked when that fucker tried to mug me.
Considering the circumstances the last one went in, you probably deserve petrified quill to show how hard and old-school you are. Or one of those spy-pens that doubles as a taser.
SPACERACE

« Reply #405 on: Oct 30, 2007, 01:54:43 AM »

oh, forgot, finkel: monitor the whole time or as much as you can. be listening to what you're recording. this is pretty basic, but i'm assuming you really haven't done this before.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
distance

« Reply #406 on: Oct 30, 2007, 11:42:35 AM »

I'm thinking I can't record out in the open b/c the venue says no recorders allowed.

99% of the time, the venue enforces whatever policy the artist (or the contract) states.

Bernard

« Reply #407 on: Oct 30, 2007, 06:17:49 PM »

A fine-tip PARKER 51 fountain pen to replace the one I have that got cracked when that fucker tried to mug me.
Considering the circumstances the last one went in, you probably deserve petrified quill to show how hard and old-school you are. Or one of those spy-pens that doubles as a taser.

My quill is already petrified, baby.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Good Intentions

« Reply #408 on: Oct 30, 2007, 07:14:19 PM »

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.
Bernard

« Reply #409 on: Oct 31, 2007, 02:46:50 AM »

It's a COCK JOKE.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
SPACERACE

« Reply #410 on: Nov 20, 2007, 11:34:27 AM »

apogee ensemble + power/macbook = the illest portable recording setup ever:

it doesn't get any better. this system is incredible. everything works before you even ask it to.

(it's in this thread because the bottom half doesn't come home with me, and is $1950.)
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2007, 01:48:02 PM by SPACERACE » Logged

Antero

« Reply #411 on: Nov 20, 2007, 07:09:10 PM »

Dear god man, warn us before you link to Mercenary Audio.  Certain sites you need to keep Antero away from for his own good.

---

I am having another bout of Jazzmaster lust. 

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
SPACERACE

« Reply #412 on: Nov 20, 2007, 07:25:45 PM »

it's a good place

Antero

« Reply #413 on: Nov 20, 2007, 10:40:52 PM »

A good place that I want too much stuff from that I can't afford.   Sad  How thread-appropriate.

santaclaustral

« Reply #414 on: Jan 29, 2008, 07:54:25 AM »

That is a Fantini SP 30 T accordion.

It has 72 bass keys, 30 treble keys, 5 treble registers and 2 bass registers yet weighs only 5.8 kg. Most models that offer that range of pitch and timbre weigh around 8kg, which is significant when you are an accordion-player who also sings.

In fact, it is the same weight as my far inferior Romance accordion, which has only 48 bass keys, 26 treble keys, 3 treble registers and 1 bass registers.

Also, it comes in a huge range of colours, including my favourite pearlised green, as opposed to the usual (boring) black and red.

And you can pay an extra amount of ridiculous money to get handmade reeds.

And I just found out that the dude from the Tiger Lilies plays a Fantini.

And the dude from the Tiger Lillies and his beautiful green accordion was part of the reason why I got into accordions in the first place.

With the handmade reeds, it would cost 2120 British squid (1890 without but once you consider paying that much for an instrument, what's 230 squid between friends?). That is an awful lot of money.

But it looks so purdy, so so purdy.

And I really do need a new accordion. My crappy Chinese factory one is on its last legs.

Oh god...  Drool
diesel_powered

« Reply #415 on: Jan 29, 2008, 09:45:32 AM »

There's a Jazzmaster baritone that I frequently lust after. It's like a stoner metal machine.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
jebreject

« Reply #416 on: Jan 29, 2008, 09:54:49 AM »

Oh man. Grace, rob a bank or something! Buy that accordion!

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Antero

« Reply #417 on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:45:16 PM »

There's a Jazzmaster baritone that I frequently lust after. It's like a stoner metal machine.
Those Jag baritones they're making now?  Those are pretty sweet - luckily I already have my baritone needs handled - but nothing really compares to a Jazzmaster.  Nothing.  Obviously this is subjective-commentary-based-on-my-own-tastes-and-playing-style-and-everyone-has-a-right-to-their-own-tastes but no you don't, the Jazzmaster is king.

Too far gone

Er yeah

I need guitar cash.

diesel_powered

« Reply #418 on: Jan 29, 2008, 02:11:15 PM »

I'm planning on spending my tax return on a cheapo kit. Maybe if I learn well enough, I'll get something nice.

diesel_powered

« Reply #419 on: Feb 02, 2008, 04:47:59 PM »

So I just saw a segment on the whole pocket bike thing and as soon as I can make the lifestyle choice (time, money, knowhow,) I'm totally in. And anybody who disagrees hates fun.

SPACERACE

« Reply #420 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:01:22 PM »

get a real motorcycle, pussy

diesel_powered

« Reply #421 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:23:37 PM »

See, you just assumed that I wanted one because I didn't want to make the commitment to a motorcycle. And this is entirely correct. I have no interest in spending a huge volume of money another vehicle that requires insurance and expensive maintenance, especially considering that I'd be able to ride it maybe five months out of the year. Instead, all I want is a toy that looks like a lot of fun.

So basically, you pretty much just told someone in the market for an RC car that they should just man up and buy a real car. Dumb, huh?

SPACERACE

« Reply #422 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:27:03 PM »

actually no it's nothing like that.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2008, 06:32:29 PM by SPACERACE » Logged

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #423 on: Feb 02, 2008, 07:09:20 PM »

what it's really like is that reese can't let an opportunity to give someone shit pass him by.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
SPACERACE

« Reply #424 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:41:06 AM »

people should stop giving me easy reasons to give them shit.

like buying a mini vehicle that costs as much as a real one and can only be used on roads, during fewer seasons than the thing it replicates.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2008, 11:42:58 AM by SPACERACE » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Thread for lusting after expensive items we can't afford.
Jump to: