Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 24, 2014, 07:50:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658134 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Turntables?  (Read 4857 times)
SPACERACE

« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:44:43 AM »

what kind of turntable is it?

edit: although it could also be a power problem, now that i think about it. i'd tell wherever you take it to look at that first.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
paper headphones

« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:46:03 AM »

It's a "Realistic". I think it's a Radio Shack or other cheap brand, as when I needed a replacement needle a few months back I couldn't find any information on the brand online.
SPACERACE

« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:47:03 AM »

well a power supply or a motor shouldn't be too expensive for one of those.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:40:22 PM »

realistic = radio shack's store brand. i'm sure they don't make turntables anymore, and it wouldn't surprise me too much to find out that they don't even make things with the realistic name anymore. you might be better off just buying a new turntable.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
diesel_powered

« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:22:51 PM »

Here's the thing... if it's a belt-drive turntable, pull the platter off and check out the little rubber band that should go between the platter and a little spindle under the platter. If the rubber band is looking worn out, a new belt should solve your problems. New belts are really cheap and easy to find since they're basically really nice rubber bands. You should be able to find a new belt on eBay or one of the many turntable sites on the web.

If it doesn't have a belt, it's direct drive and your motor's going. In which case, start trolling garage sales.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
SPACERACE

« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:53:04 PM »

well if it's going slower at a constant speed, the belt is unlikely to be the source. my guess would again be power, because speed is regulated just as with any other electric motor; with modulated voltage.

davy

« Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2006, 03:07:52 AM »

my record player was given to me for free by an old co-worker, and it works fine except for the lid won't stay up when you open it. i think it's a bottom-line sony, but like i said, it works fine, and is the same size as my tower system.

i recently had to replace our cd changer. it was my wife's--a sony--and she'd had it for about 15 years. the receiver still works fine, actually, and we're using it, but i upgraded the changer to one of sony's SACD players. it's pretty nice. the only annoying thing about it is that it won't play most dualdiscs. oh well. fucking sacd-ified dark side of the moon sounds badass, though.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2009, 08:20:12 PM »

Necroooooo.

Okay, so I am stupid (I will say this throughout this post): I upgraded recently from an all-in-one piece of shit to a Rega P1 which is stone beautiful and will slay me...

once I understand how best to hook up some speakers to the damn thing.  I've been rockin' google and I've come up with many confusing references to pre-amps, amplifiers, actual speakers that break the fuck out of my bank.

I do not understand how these all go together, nor do I understand how they relate to the red and black cords sticking out of my Rega, and there's this whole "assumed knowledge" thing about the internet.  Can anyone help me understand/point me toward some things that cost money but not too much?

I just wanna sniff some glue listen to some records, goddamnit!

clare

« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2009, 09:50:52 PM »

Now I feel old...but I don't feel like I know quite enough to answer the question. You do need to connect your turntable to some kind of amplifier, and then to some speakers. True audiophile wierdos will have some super-duper expensive amp with valves that you have to warm up before you can use it... and probably then another amp. And don't forget the gold cables... and the million dollar speakers. I jsut have a receiver/amp, and cheapo Polk speakers from 20 years ago.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Bernard

« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2009, 12:26:03 AM »

I have a turntable that is (roughly) along the lines of the Rega. I am not an audio nerd as no doubt many others here are, so they can fill you in on all the fine details. Also, my setup is specific to the way I use my stereo -- almost exclusively for listening to older classical LPs. I'll point out the parts that will probably not apply to you. I'm sure you don't need anything this basic, but just in case you actually do, here you go:

Stuff not to do: put your turntable on your CD player, and that on a flimsy Ikea table. Also, don't use a stack of index cards to level your platter. My turntable has a bubble level built into the deck, but it makes more sense to set one on the platter itself (the glass part).

You run the cord that goes out of your turntable into a preamp. The preamp will have a phono stage inside, hopefully. Stuff not to do: store your old turntable underneath the Ikea thing.

The little skinny wire at the bottom is the ground. Attach that, along with the regular black and red cords.

The big heavy creature is your amp. You can get one for each speaker if you want to be crazy. I only use one.

I have mine set to mono because most of my records are mono, and the stereo information is not really relevant for the kind of music I listen to.

The speakers should probably be on speaker stands to get them off the floor, but those are super heavy, sand-filled dudes, so I am being cheap and lazy about it.

I also don't use gnarly cables, though I may get some eventually. I have a small place and I don't need much to fill it with sound. Also, truthfully, what I have now is about all I can hear, quality-wise. If I wanted to step up I might switch to a tube amp, but that's going to be fifty millions bucks and another hobby.

« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2009, 01:24:05 AM by Bernard » Logged

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Bernard

« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2009, 01:37:58 AM »

Incidentally, I would advise against spending a ton of money right off the bat. I got my whole system for under $600, but it took about 10 years. You just have to wait and constantly look around until you find a guy who just wants to get rid of his stuff. Have a look on ebay and craigslist. Old, high-quality stereo stuff is often perfectly fine or just needs minor maintenance. You can put a lot of hours on these things without wearing them out. If you want good stuff all at once you may have to look a lot harder and/or pay more. I started with just the APT/Holman amp (free because 'broken' - cost $65 to repair), and didn't actually have any of the other elements for a long time afterward. Then I got the matching preamp ($125, ebay and free shipping through work) and a set of cheap speakers ($25 for the pair at Circuit City, store closing clearance). I swapped those out for the Wharfedales ($175, craigslist), and swapped out the Numark turntable ($100, post-holiday clearance at Guitar Center -- salesman took a cartridge off a floor model and pushed it through a hole in the box since it didn't come with one) for the MMF ($230 or so, craigslist).

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2009, 11:52:50 AM »

The services you have rendered here are insanely wonderful, Bernard.  A thousand thanks.

Rega sells a pretty cheap preamp: $145.  I'll probably go for that and then bargain the rest of it because speakers are fucking ridiculous.

Bernard

« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2009, 09:30:59 PM »

Whew! I'm so glad. Hope you enjoy your new turntable and get a lot of use out of it.

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2009, 12:26:34 AM »

Also, brief (but really quiet with no adjustable volume) placeholder for actual system: my guitar amp.

diesel_powered

« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2009, 10:42:18 AM »

I started with just the APT/Holman amp (free because 'broken' - cost $65 to repair)

This is an important note to mention to those cruising garage sales for this sort of thing. I've picked up many a decent "broken" receiver for $20-$50 and got everything running again for another $20-$50 in repairs. There's a lot to calibrate on those old ones and sometimes it's as easy as taking it into someone who knows what they're doing.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Bernard

« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »

I'll probably go for that and then bargain the rest of it because speakers are fucking ridiculous.

Incidentally, I would not recommend the speakers I have unless you want to listen mostly to classical LPs. Big rock albums would sound better on something different, according to speaker nerds. (I was guided to buy these, but was not told what would be good for other types of music, I'm afraid.)

cold before sunrise

« Reply #41 on: Feb 26, 2009, 12:54:09 PM »

mine's portable:

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Turntables?
Jump to: