Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 25, 2014, 01:24:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657786 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 68 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Sandwiches!  (Read 39651 times)
RoyBiggins

« Reply #125 on: Mar 26, 2006, 05:30:06 PM »

Depends on the bread.  On white bread, I'm all about toasting it.  On some thick multi-grain type bread, I could go either way.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
hannah

« Reply #126 on: Mar 26, 2006, 05:33:18 PM »

I've gotta say, that prescription makes sense, but generally I am pretty adament about toasting. I like contrast, you dig-- in my mix tapes, in my tuna salad sandwiches.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #127 on: Mar 26, 2006, 05:36:42 PM »

I dig.  I was sort of specifically thinking, though, that I like the thick, wheat-y bread untoasted because if I'm eating that with tuna, it's probably also going to have all kinds of tomato and cucumber and other frilly vegetable toppings on it.  Whereas with the white bread, i'll probably just throw down on some cheese and leave it at that.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
heather marie

« Reply #128 on: Mar 26, 2006, 06:07:56 PM »

Quote from: "hannah"
Here's a Q for you all:

W/r/t a tuna salad sammich, to toast or not to toast the bread?

If I make it at home, always toasted.

If I eat it in a restaurant, not toasted.
Greg Nog

« Reply #129 on: Mar 27, 2006, 11:36:04 AM »

Toast it if you like, but ideally, it should be grilled.  Preferably on a New-England-style hot dog roll.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #130 on: Mar 27, 2006, 11:40:34 AM »

As opposed to a manhattan style hot dog roll?  What's the difference?

rockmeamadeus

« Reply #131 on: Mar 27, 2006, 11:42:27 AM »

OOOOOO Brian you are missing a world of hotdogness.
Greg Nog

« Reply #132 on: Mar 27, 2006, 11:43:54 AM »

Look upon our rolls, ye Biggins, and despair:

http://www.mapleandmore.com/
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #133 on: Mar 27, 2006, 11:48:40 AM »

Holla! We couldn't get those back in Utah. Hell no. They are 100 times better than your fancy schmancy round non toasty hot dog rolls.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #134 on: Mar 27, 2006, 11:59:11 AM »

Holy crap. That's amazing.  And I love hot dogs.

SPACERACE

« Reply #135 on: Mar 27, 2006, 12:01:59 PM »

Quote from: "Greg Nog"
Look upon our rolls, ye Biggins, and despair:

http://www.mapleandmore.com/

those look like pepperidge farms hot dogs rolls, fried, to me, and while lord knows i ate a lot of those up in Olde New Englande, i could have sworn i've seen them down here, and that they're just your basic vertically sliced roll, available almost anywhere. unless i've been unknowingly privvy to the best hot dog rolls my entire life.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
Greg Nog

« Reply #136 on: Mar 27, 2006, 12:07:31 PM »

They're the standard hot dog rolls in the Northeast, yeah.  Nothing spectacular, just good solid rolls thaat you can grill with butter.

I always thought they were available anywhere, but I haven't been able to find them in NYC.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #137 on: Mar 27, 2006, 12:12:48 PM »

I'm sure that I can track some down here, too.  I'll have to look around.  And, also, I firmly believe despite the fact that I don't have any real NYC experience, if you can't get something there, you can't get it anywhere.

davy

« Reply #138 on: Mar 27, 2006, 12:14:43 PM »

i just made a sandwich-related post, but for some reason, i made it in the non-sandwich-focused "post here" thread.

Question

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #139 on: Mar 27, 2006, 12:50:30 PM »

Quote from: "RoyBiggins"
I'm sure that I can track some down here, too.  I'll have to look around.  And, also, I firmly believe despite the fact that I don't have any real NYC experience, if you can't get something there, you can't get it anywhere.

but dude, you realize there's not a wal-mart in nyc.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #140 on: Mar 27, 2006, 01:53:40 PM »

No, but that's kind of cool.  I try to avoid teh wal-marts.  

Also: Davy, I didn't know they had spicy mustard at subway, but I'm currently eating some (Turkey with spicy mustard, lettuce, tomato, onion, and banana peppers on wheat!)  And it's delicious.

crystalcakes

« Reply #141 on: Mar 27, 2006, 09:30:06 PM »

i've never seen those rolls. holy crap!

you only toast the bread for tuna when you're eating a tuna MELT, people.  come on.

Quote from: "John"
life is now worthless and I am going to eat cat food & die
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #142 on: Mar 28, 2006, 02:22:44 AM »

so like, i got home tonight all set to make a sandwich and found that my roommate had thrown my unopened package of wheat sub rolls in the garbage. since it was unopened, i fished it right out and went to knock on his door and angrily demand a reason for his throwing away my food. however, he didn't answer the door (today i learned that my roommate doesn't stay up late watching tv... he SLEEPS watching tv), which is probably good because when i calmed down i figured out that he'd done so because the bread had a "best when purchased" date of the 26th, and today is the 27th. two problems with this: 1) bread is good for a week after the purchase date, because if it wasn't how could they sell it up until that date? no one's gonna eat a whole package of bread by the time they go to bed that night. (and by the way, i thought everyone knew this. how does my roommate not already know this?) 2) it's MY food, not his, so shouldn't i get to decide when it gets thrown away? i mean, shit, if it's got mold growing on it or something, that's different, but it was totally still good!

sigh, anyway, all i wanted to tell you guys was that i made a sandwich when i got home at 1 in the morning tonight. i used a 6 inch wheat sub roll for the bread, and put fat free italian dressing on the bread first. then i added a thick slice of tomato (cut in half, with each half taking up half of the long, thin sandwich); a slice each of sharp cheddar and provolone cheese (cut in half and rationed out in the same manner as the tomato); a decent layer of each of the following: banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, black olives, and mushrooms; and finally, generous dashes of black pepper and oregano. i'd missed dinner, so it was like pure heaven on a sub roll, but it would have been awesome even if i wasn't starving.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
jebreject

« Reply #143 on: Mar 28, 2006, 04:29:00 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
sigh, anyway, all i wanted to tell you guys was that i made a sandwich when i got home at 1 in the morning tonight. i used a 6 inch wheat sub roll for the bread, and put fat free italian dressing on the bread first. then i added a thick slice of tomato (cut in half, with each half taking up half of the long, thin sandwich); a slice each of sharp cheddar and provolone cheese (cut in half and rationed out in the same manner as the tomato); a decent layer of each of the following: banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, black olives, and mushrooms; and finally, generous dashes of black pepper and oregano. i'd missed dinner, so it was like pure heaven on a sub roll, but it would have been awesome even if i wasn't starving.

oh god, i am so hungry right now, and that sounds SO FUCKING GOOD.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Greg Nog

« Reply #144 on: Mar 28, 2006, 08:21:59 AM »

That sounds like one delicious sandwich.  And I'll go one further than you, Andrew, and say that EVEN IF there's mold growing on the bread, he still shouldn't have thrown it out.  I've been known to simply cut off the moldy parts of expired foodstuffs and salvage the rest.  Fortunately, my roommate's laziness has traditionally kept him from tossing any of my old food.
morgan

« Reply #145 on: Mar 28, 2006, 08:29:44 AM »

I would never throw anything that belonged to a roommate in the garbage without first asking them to make sure it's ok.  I mean, if it's been in the fridge long enough to have mold, it can stay in there a few extra hours until I get a chance to talk to them, right?
Gracelette

« Reply #146 on: Mar 28, 2006, 08:38:29 AM »

I'd been growing an onion monster since before Christmas... I left it in the dark cupboard and it sprouted really long green shoots and if I held it up to my face, I could pretend that I was a giant squid with green tentacles. When my mum came to Bologna two weeks ago, we put it in a cleaned yoghurt pot with some water to help it grow a bit more... like resuscitating an interrogation prisoner to keep torturing them, really... just to see for how long it would stay alive. Last week it disappeared and my flatmate had done a really big cleanout so I figured he'd thrown it out. Turned out a few days later that he'd just put it on the balcony to get some fresh air. Throwing out flatmate food is such a big no-no, though I do occasionally transfer his food into tupperware containers or cover it with clingfilm.

That said, I would not recommend anybody try eating my onion monster, however moldy it gets.

Gracelette
-x-
davy

« Reply #147 on: Mar 28, 2006, 09:50:16 AM »

can someone please make me a veggie reuben sandwich on toasted marbled rye, please? kthxbye.

RoyBiggins

« Reply #148 on: Mar 28, 2006, 09:53:07 AM »

They have veggie corned beef?

davy

« Reply #149 on: Mar 28, 2006, 09:57:11 AM »

Quote from: "RoyBiggins"
They have veggie corned beef?

you bet your ass they do.

there's a restaurant called CLOCKED in athens that serves a veggie reuben pretty much better than any other sandwich i've ever had in my life.

matter of fact, there are several restaurants in athens that serve veggie reubens. at least four, i think.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Sandwiches!
Jump to: