Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 24, 2014, 06:15:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658132 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74
Print
Author Topic: The Show You Saw Last Night: An Investigative Report  (Read 152620 times)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #1800 on: Feb 03, 2007, 11:08:28 AM »

justin, yes, people totally still do that shit. it will probably never go away.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
SPACERACE

« Reply #1801 on: Feb 03, 2007, 12:28:13 PM »

the karate chop gets the shoulder/elbow. completely unacceptable concert behavior.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
justinh

« Reply #1802 on: Feb 03, 2007, 01:41:45 PM »

You would be throwing a lot of elbows at a metalcore show circa '98 or so, Reese.  Even today, I guess.  

It's funny though, since the whole metalcore thing seems to have evaporated, 'round these parts at least.  

Personally, I kind of enjoy having it happen at shows, because it's kind of a funny thing to look at, but it does get in the way of traditional, good natured dancing/moshisizing.  I wonder if the guy who always used to do cartwheels and round offs will be there...
Tlon

« Reply #1803 on: Feb 04, 2007, 04:41:50 AM »

Hmmm... at Punk's Picnic yesterday people were talking about Converge's upcoming tour. Apparently people go just to fight. Punk's Picnic had some seedy Swedish hardcore? band (ABC Weapons?) and i headbanged and they growled and were unkempt and unclean. i mostly went to hang out with people i hadn't seen in ages and get love hearts painted in nailpolish on my fingers. there were no mosh pits, but outdoor punk shows are fun and i'm glad my area has a scene for them

Friday was TV Smith from the Adverts supporting Thought Criminals at the (fuck this i'm going to the) Annandale.... my friend was very psyched, but TV Smith was like... a skinny old hippy of a punk, yelling songs on an acoustic guitar about Generation Y not caring about things and how things were better in his day. he did his 'hit', Gary Gilmore's Eyes, and that was kinda cool, i guess. Thought Criminals (an old Aussie band), were great- jittery, paranoid punk, with lots of odd facial expressions and masks from the lead singer.... the crowd was quite old, but the gig wasn't bad, and when TV Smith joined them they finnally sounded good

Tuesday was Neko Case at the Annandale, and after some snafus with being let on the door i still think i'm supposed to review it.... after an hour of countrified electric stomp from Jon Langford we saw the lady herself and her wonderful voice... haunting songs were a strange contrast to cheerful stage banter about us all being on a 'date', and honestly i can't remember enough to review coherantly... i remember she covered Dylan's 'Buckets of Rain' and did 'I Wish I Was The Moon', but i was a bit distracted by a pretty girl i'd helped out once at a club..... not sure how i'll end up reviewing it

maybe i should go to fewer gigs. they're overwhelming me.... in January alone i saw tmg, Peaches, Limp Wrist, Neko Case, Joanna Newsom/Smog, and heaps of local bands.

i should probably try to catch some metal or hardcore

theartlessmonster

« Reply #1804 on: Feb 05, 2007, 03:57:36 AM »

so i was not completely bowled over by the "of montreal" show i went to tonight. i liked the multi-media three screens and the visual effects were interesting. LOVE flashing across the screen and "sing out".  most of the images were 70s retro which resonated with me because i was a little kid in the 70s so its a bit nostaglic and mixed with the music its a good effect.

i guess i was looking for them to play more of satanic panic in the attic.

Don't be a swiss roll.
jebreject

« Reply #1805 on: Feb 05, 2007, 04:03:09 AM »

man, they really musta gotten PAID for letting 'em use that song in that commercial

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
theartlessmonster

« Reply #1806 on: Feb 05, 2007, 04:30:09 AM »

hmm i didn't think of that, but also it was too bowie-esqe for my tastes i mean i love ziggy stardust - and early bowie is some of my favorite stuff so don't get me wrong, i appreciate the influence but i also think you have to step out of the influence otherwise it can get limiting to you creatively.

Don't be a swiss roll.
justinh

« Reply #1807 on: Feb 06, 2007, 11:32:35 AM »

Last night I caught Converge & Mastodon at First Avenue.  Priestess opened up, and they were some kind of run of the mill stoner band who sounded like Fu Manchu or a less dynamic and less charismatic version of Wolfmother.  They had exactly two things going for them: the guitar player's awesome clear guitar and their rather rad drummer who played a pretty sweet drum solo near the end of their set.  

Next up was Converge.  It seemed to mostly be a Mastodon crowd, and I didn't see any ridiculous hardcore kung fu dancing (!).  There was some fairly modest moshing going on.  This was a bit disappointing, as when I saw them last (in Milwaukee on the Jane Doe tour) it was a seething mass of people flying all over, dudes karate chopping, and stage divers springing off the side of the wall and flying back into the pit.  Nevertheless, Converge is one of the best live bands around, and they put on an excellent show.  Kurt Ballou walked on stage and started playing the opening riff to "Plagues" for what seemed like an eternity (which was good) and then they blasted off and commenced to rip everyone's face off.  They bookends of "Plagues" and "Concubine" were especially fulfilling

Then Mastodon came on, with a big awesome banner and spiraling psychedelic lights that reminded me of a Neurosis show.  They opened with 4 or 5 songs off Blood Mountain and added a healthy helping of older stuff.  They were LOUD.  Luckily I remembered actually earplugs, however, I forgot how terrible earplugs make music sound.  Anyway, the crowd seemed to really go ballistic for "march of the fire ants", "blood & thunder", and "colony of birchmen".  I kept on rofling at Brent's hilarious facial expressions and goblin-like vocal performance.  And this from a dude who looks like a cross between the guy with the sonic youth t-shirt in "the 40 year old virgin" and the roman god Vulcan.  Troy was totally channeling Cliff Burton with his floor-monitor leaning bassing.  I wish I could have seen more of Brann.    

I think "colony of birchmen" was the last song before the encore, then they returned with a thoroughly epic rendition of "hearts alive" that was pretty much perfect.  All in all, it was pretty great.  I'd have to rate it as among the best shows I've seen almost totally sober in recent memory.
dumbfish

« Reply #1808 on: Feb 06, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »

Portastatic:  Sounded good, assuming you like Mac's stuff.  Did make me wonder, though-- how many variations of the same song is that guy gonna write?  And if he's gonna keep writing music that sounds exactly like Superchunk, why not play as Superchunk?

Yo La Tengo:  Holy loud, Batman.  Lots of extended instrumentals and guitar freakouts.  Felt a bit sorry for the bassist and drummer at those times, since that meant they had to play the same eight second loop for ten minutes.  As a more casual fan, I woulda appreciated a snappier bent, but I imagine Hannah woulda loved it.  They went with the rarely seen three-encore format, which I appreciated because the encores included some fun covers.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
davy

« Reply #1809 on: Feb 06, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »

Quote from: "justinh"
...their rather rad drummer who played a pretty sweet drum solo near the end of their set.  

Converge is one of the best live bands around, and they put on an excellent show.  

I wish I could have seen more of Brann.    

saw the same show in athens last week and i agree with about a hundred things in your post...but these three things especially.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Robert

« Reply #1810 on: Feb 06, 2007, 12:48:50 PM »

I kept on rofling at Brent's hilarious facial expressions and goblin-like vocal performance.  

I know, right?

DUDE LOOKS LIKE POPEYE WHEN HE SINGS.

Damn.
justinh

« Reply #1811 on: Feb 06, 2007, 12:55:07 PM »

so true
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #1812 on: Feb 06, 2007, 04:18:33 PM »

Troy was totally channeling Cliff Burton with his floor-monitor leaning bassing.

when i first saw him play, back when he was in social infestation, i had the same thought, and i said something about it to their roadie. the roadie's response was "tell troy you said that, he'll flip. cliff burton's his hero." so i went and found him and told him that he'd reminded me of cliff burton and he acted like it was the nicest thing anyone had ever said to him.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
mountmccabe

« Reply #1813 on: Feb 08, 2007, 12:03:43 PM »

Yeah so I saw Sparklehorse on Tuesday night at the Clubhouse in Tempe, AZ.  It was excellent.  They played for about 70 minutes and everything sounded great.  If you were looking for the old pop "hits" you might've been disappointed in that but in my mind the catalog is so full of greatness it's hard to mistep.  A good selection of songs from all over the place; I wanna say there were even 6 from Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot counting the encore closer of "Homecoming Queen" which might've been the highlight of the evening for me.

Jesse Sykes and the Sweethearafter opened.  They sounded good as well.  The focus was on the album which had been released that day partially because the new violinist had not yet learned all the old tunes.  The newer stuff was a little more animated but still soft and pretty.

You know a pancake?
Tlon

« Reply #1814 on: Feb 09, 2007, 01:25:19 AM »

Small Hours/Seabellies/The Saturns - worknight local site to see my mates, chat industry in mostly empty Annandale. Small Hours good and Beatlesque, Seabellies rought Architecture in Helsinki 'heaps of instruments onstage' thing leaning toward Arcade Fire. had a fan who was really into them and once they polish up and get an EP/album out i reckon they'll be good. settled in for a sober Saturns set, but was ROCKED out of my seat by guys playing like they were playing to an arena instead of a half-full pub of friends. one guitarist was,um, 'differntly abled', but that didn't stop him ROCKING. jumps and flips and a drummer with Tim Rogers sideburns and i said 'fuck it' and went dancing, 'cause none of the hipsters fucking dance, and it just went on, and they did Pinball Wizard and Psycho Killer for encores and by the end EVERYONE was dancing, so i'm like ROCK and i end up just going crazy and dancing at some random hyphy/crunk night my friend runs and i'm like 'what the hell' and thats why my brain is mush today

the lesson: local ROCK AND ROLL = good

bmc

« Reply #1815 on: Feb 09, 2007, 09:34:28 AM »

I saw Akron/Family and the Winks up at Cornell last night.

The Winks played as a four-piece - cello, mandolin, keyboards, drums.  They were missing a member, possibly a violinist or bassist, it wasn't entirely clear.  I was expecting them to be somewhat spare and twee, but in fact they gave up nothing in terms of sonic density or rockingness.  They played pop songs with a fair amount of variety - lots of tempo switching, quiet parts, switching back and forth between male/female vox, bowing/plucking/strumming the cello.  I ended up liking them a lot.  They were a little gimmicky at times (throwing confetti, tap-dancing), but they were having a good time and playing pretty music, so it was easy to forgive.

Akron/Family were also a four-piece - two guitars, bass, drums, and somebody was playing keyboards too, I think.  They didn't really play songs.  They'd play a verse, and then they go on some long feedback-drenched noodlefest for a few minutes, and then they'd play a verse of another song.  The bassist was plagued with technical problems, which led to some unfortunate moments (like ten minutes of beatboxing while the sound guys tried to fix shit).  I found them really dull, and ended up leaving before they were done.  That was partly because it's a work night and I am old, but I would have stuck around if I were getting anything out of it.

Bought a CD from the Winks on the way out, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it.

-bc
Nick Ink

« Reply #1816 on: Feb 09, 2007, 10:55:11 AM »

Quote from: "bmc"

Akron/Family were also a four-piece - two guitars, bass, drums, and somebody was playing keyboards too, I think.  They didn't really play songs.  They'd play a verse, and then they go on some long feedback-drenched noodlefest for a few minutes, and then they'd play a verse of another song.  The bassist was plagued with technical problems, which led to some unfortunate moments (like ten minutes of beatboxing while the sound guys tried to fix shit).  I found them really dull, and ended up leaving before they were done.  That was partly because it's a work night and I am old, but I would have stuck around if I were getting anything out of it.

That sounds really disappointing! I thought they had a reputation for being pretty amazing live.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
ellaguru

« Reply #1817 on: Feb 09, 2007, 11:32:27 AM »

Quote from: "Nick Ink"

That sounds really disappointing! I thought they had a reputation for being pretty amazing live.

They do! A well deserved one! But I think that you have to be into it in order to be into it, y'know? Last time I saw them I thought they were fantastic, but one of the friends I went with left half way through because he hated the show. And, because they're a jam band, you have to catch the vibe to enjoy what's going on, and I'm sure technical problems would make that really hard to do. They'd lose momentum, and without that momentum, no doubt the show'd be just a bunch of noodling. That's too bad.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
bmc

« Reply #1818 on: Feb 09, 2007, 11:50:16 AM »

Quote from: "ellaguru"
because they're a jam band

I had never heard them described that way, so I was avoiding doing it myself, but yeah, that's pretty much it.  Jam bands almost never work for me, and if they can't get into a groove at all, it's pretty much hopeless.

-bc
Maaik

« Reply #1819 on: Feb 09, 2007, 12:39:16 PM »

Saw the ASO do some early Stravinsky and a Bach piece that had been arranged for piano, harpsichord and strings.  It was pretty cool.

I need anne the man lessons
coldforge

« Reply #1820 on: Feb 09, 2007, 04:13:22 PM »

Quote from: "Maaik"
Saw the ASO do some early Stravinsky and a Bach piece that had been arranged for piano, harpsichord and strings.  It was pretty cool.

As in, American Symphony Orchestra? That was the house band at my college. Botstein's a nutter.

Unless that's not who you mean, because I don't know why they'd be in Georgia.

č l'era del terzo mondo.
monkeypants

« Reply #1821 on: Feb 09, 2007, 06:47:59 PM »

I saw Akron/Family and the Winks up at Cornell last night.

The Winks played as a four-piece - cello, mandolin, keyboards, drums.  They were missing a member, possibly a violinist or bassist, it wasn't entirely clear.  I was expecting them to be somewhat spare and twee, but in fact they gave up nothing in terms of sonic density or rockingness.  They played pop songs with a fair amount of variety - lots of tempo switching, quiet parts, switching back and forth between male/female vox, bowing/plucking/strumming the cello.  I ended up liking them a lot.  They were a little gimmicky at times (throwing confetti, tap-dancing), but they were having a good time and playing pretty music, so it was easy to forgive.

Bought a CD from the Winks on the way out, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it.

I was at this show as well, but I guess I enjoyed it alot more than bmc (sorry I missed you, dude.  I was up near the front.)   Yeah, there are some jammy elements, but I A/F rocked way harder than any jam band I've ever heard, and I appreciated the fact that there weren't really any extended, wank-fest solos.  Their jams were more collectively based, building to a climax together.  Their style isn't really the sort of thing I usually go for, and I don't think they'll ever be my favorite band, but I did enjoy the live show.   At the very least, those dudes can fill up a room with sound.

I dug the Winks, too.  Fun band.

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
jebreject

« Reply #1822 on: Feb 09, 2007, 07:02:31 PM »

AK-AK are absolutely NOT a jam band.  They are, however, a band that jams.  And rocks fucking hard.  There's no show I'm looking foward to more than seeing them for the third (and fourth?) time

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
davy

« Reply #1823 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:04:21 PM »

i haven't been able to muster up the ambition to write a proper post about it, but the gourds show i caught last week at athens' melting point was probably the best concert i've seen this decade.

and i'm being serious. the venue was relatively mindblowing--and within walking distance! why hadn't i been there before?!--the music was absolutely top-notch (they're all fabulous players)--and it was just such FUN.

maybe i'll elaborate later?

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Tlon

« Reply #1824 on: Feb 10, 2007, 02:02:51 AM »

Candle Records Farewell Concert - Lucksmiths, Darren Hanlon, Anthony Atkinson, Girls from the Clouds, others

Melbourne's Candle Records closed its door after 12 years of providing mild, inoffensive indie pop. unfortuantly only three bands really popped - Anthony Atkinson, Darren Hanlon, and somebody who's name i forgot. it was all quite sweet and warm though, and at the end everyone involved in the label plus special guest Keilli from Architecture in Helsinki got up on stage to hug and sing 'We Are The World', so it was a good ending... and all the artists will survive

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: The Show You Saw Last Night: An Investigative Report
Jump to: