Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 01, 2014, 09:50:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657934 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: R e C I P E S  (Read 51815 times)
sedita

« on: Aug 03, 2004, 04:03:19 PM »

vegan chocochip cookies

dry------>
2 1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

wet------->
1 cup soy margarine
1 tsp vanilla  (the real stuff, damn you)
mix 3 tsp egg replacer with 4 TBSP WARM water
1/3 cup succunat sugar
1/3 cup other type vegan sugar
2 cups dark chocolate chips

mix dry in a small bowl
mix wet in a large bowl
mix dry into wet

bake 9-11 minutes
i don't have a temp (this recipe came from a punk girl, who just wings it)
i set the oven at 375 and just keep an eye on them.
i like them a little underdone....

yum[/b]

so remember, on a scale from one to awesome, i'm super great.
Nickosaurus

« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2004, 04:06:46 PM »

Hey sedita, this is off-topic but I see your site is tinypictureclub.org, which means you probably know Reed Harkness (or maybe you are he). He's the older brother of one of my best friends.

This must be where pies go when they die
sedita

« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2004, 04:28:42 PM »

i do i do know reed,
he's my partner in crime.

tiny picture club

iagoAdmirer

« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2004, 05:42:08 PM »

I get bashful when required to communicate under the fluorescent light of kitchens, but i found this one pie on all-recipes.com that even Estonian Linkovichs could make and spilled it all over my shirt.

Key Lime Pie

10 egg yolks, beaten
2 (14 ounce) cans of sweeeeeetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice

mix together and fill...

2 (7 inch) graham cracker pie crusts

bake in oven preheated to 375 F for 15 minutes and put in the fridge to cool. Decorate with whatever sweetness you so desire.

-"You tread the ridge between truth and insult with the skill of a mountain goat."-
jacob

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2004, 06:47:26 PM »

Yay recipes! Here's a pizza I made a few weeks or so back:

Burrito Pizza

• sauce:
  •  1 can vegan refried beans
  • 1/2 to 1 minced jalapeno
  • 1/4 cup crushed pineapple in juice
  • cumin to taste
  • coriander to taste
  • chili powder to taste
  • splash of lime juice

• 1/2 tomato, diced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup rice, cooked
  • 1/2 to 1 jalepeno, seeded and chopped
  • Pizza dough
  • A little chopped cilantro

Make the bean spread by combining all ingredients and mixing. Then roll out the pizza dough and put the spread on top of it. Top with the tomato, onion, rice and jalepeno and bake (preferably on a pizza stone) in a 425 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes or until the crust turns golden.

Remove the pizza from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Then top with the cilantro and maybe sprinkle some lime juice on top, and then serve it up.

---

This is surprisingly good. As in, I made it basically because it sounded ridiculous, and I was more surprised than anyone to find that I actually really liked it.

Anyway, I've been recording recipes I make for about a year now on a web page of mine. If you're into vegan food that's nonetheless horribly and yummily bad for you, and from the looks of the recipes posted thus far I bet you are, you can check it out: http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~jacobm/food/.
sedita

« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2004, 07:21:19 PM »

oh man jacob.

spinach stuffed potato rolls??!?!?!?!?!?!?

vegan Tiramisu

good god.

thank you.

j.

John
edit0r

« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2004, 08:24:15 PM »

Grapple Delite

1. Purchase one grapple.
2. Eat grapple.

(sorry sorry sorry
will post real recipes somtime this week: tonight we had braised cabbage pilaf w/lentils, it was delicious)
Kath

« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2004, 10:56:46 PM »

90% of this forum is about food and I couldn't be happier.

Peach gelato:
1 cup minus one tablespoon granulated sugar
.5 cup plus one tablespoon bottled or filtered water (but not distilled)
1.5 pounds peaches
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon eggwhite, lightly beaten.

Heat water and sugar in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Cool. Peel and pit the peaches and puree in a food processor until smooth. Transfer two cups of the puree to a bowl, and save the rest. stir the syrup from before, and the lemon juice, into the two cups.  Stir in the egg white and freeze in an ice cream maker. Eat it right out of this, or let it harden for less than three hours. I made it last night. The result is perfection.

Nothing can kill the grimace.
ecoulage

« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2004, 12:04:22 PM »

Quote from: "John"
Grapple Delite

1. Purchase one grapple.
2. Eat grapple.

(sorry sorry sorry
will post real recipes somtime this week: tonight we had braised cabbage pilaf w/lentils, it was delicious)

lol.  i do all the cooking for my family, and no one knows what to call anything i make.  not even if it's simple, like spaghetti, though i rarely make that.  so they just ask when they get some; hey andrew, what's this?  spinach delite?  tomato delite?  noodle delite?  curry delite?  taco delite?   falafel delite?

if the dish is more extravagant looking than the norm, they may replace the 'delite' with a 'supreme'.
luanda

« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2004, 12:19:04 PM »

fy
meg

« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2004, 06:49:44 PM »

Nice thread.

A weekend or so ago I fell into a conversation with a woman who seemed to think I needed explicit instructions in braising and in frittata-preparation. She also told me that she's heard of marinades with green tea. She suggested making a marinade as usual and tossing in a green teabag or two. Anyone tried something like this, or something related? I'm meat-free, so I'd have to be marinating veggies or soy.
sedita

« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2004, 09:55:04 PM »

more more!

vegan cinnimon rolls, by eric, via hope.

dough:
1 3/4 c. white flour
1/3 c. wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 TBS baking powder
2 TBS sugar
mix.  
add 1/3 c. oil until crumbly
add 1/2 c. COLD soy milk  
add flour if dough is sticky, let rest.

filling:
3/4 c. brown sugar (or less turbinado)
1 TBS cinnimon
less than 1/4 c. oil
pinch salt

add stuff.
this recipe is infinately varriable.
add chopped apples.
add dark chocolate chunks and a dash of chile pepper
add a touch of (real) vanilla and a squeeze of lemon, and some lemon zest
add raspberries
add blueberries
add snozzberries
add stuff.

roll dough into biggish square, 1/4 inch thick.  
brush with soy milk and sugar  or 2 TBS abblesauce
top with filling (add stuff)
roll up.
cut.
bake @ 400 for 15-17 minutes

icing:
1 c. powdered sugar
soy milk
a slurp of oil
pinch of salt

yum.

(my friend hope makes these every morning when she comes to
stay with me from seattle or new hampshire or new orleans, depending
on where she is living at the time.  i like the you gimme place to sleep, i bake you vegan delites trade.)

SPACERACE

« Reply #12 on: Aug 08, 2004, 05:57:19 PM »

Jacob, you are a god.

My friend Lexi and I are making the vegan tiramisu from your page (we're almost done), and it is AWESOME.

Thanks, dude.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
NedRaggett

« Reply #13 on: Aug 08, 2004, 07:09:36 PM »

Not my recipe, but I have used this twice in two weeks now with fully fresh picked-by-me tomatoes to make a from-scratch soup, and the results have been spectacular both times.  Here it is!

"They profaned his Temple. They killed his father. They... all kinds of stuff."
Ah_Pook

« Reply #14 on: Aug 08, 2004, 07:42:34 PM »

forget this vegan crap, its time for...

awesome chili:

1 lb country sausage
1 lb pork chops (chopped pretty small)
1 lb steak (top sirloin i think i usually use. you can also use like stew beef. anything lean and thin, basically) (chopped pretty small)
1 lb shrimp (peeled, chopped pretty small)
1 can shitty beer
1 huge onion (chopped however you like)
1 red pepper (chopped however you like)
1 can corn (drained)
1 spicy chili pepper (or more, depending on how spicy you want it)
3 cans of chili beans (you can sub in black beans for one if you want)
1 can crushed tomatos
chili powder
texas pete hot sauce
1 lime
salt n pepper
2 cloves of garlic (minced) (add more if you like, go nuts)
cayenne pepper

open the beer and let it sit while you do this stuff. heat up a big pot to med/med high heat with some oil and the minced garlic. once the garlic is sizzling put all the meat in there. once its pretty browned drain the grease from the sausage (if youre a wuss) and coat it in chili powder, salt and pepper it, put a bunch of texas pete in there, and squeeze half the lime in it. put the fresh veggies in there now and let it all cook til the veggies are good (spicing it up as you see fit. i put a shitload of chili powder, texas pete, and cayenne in there personally). once the veggies are cooked then put all the canned stuff in there and the beer and squeeze the other half of the lime in. add more spices. let it come to a boil and then put a lid on it, lower the heat, and simmer for a long time. at least 4 hours, maybe 5 or 6. dont skimp on this, you gotta do it to get the meat tender. after that, for best results put the whole pot in the fridge and let it chill overnight, then reheat and serve the next day. it will be heaven. i usually cheat and have a bowl that night though, i cant resist.

anyway, the recipe is always in flux so do whatever you want really. its a work in progress. ive made it with bacon in there before which was really good, but i hate having to drain the grease out since you lose a lot of the flavor that way so it ended up kinda greasy.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Lalitree
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: Aug 08, 2004, 10:01:54 PM »

Here's what I made for dinner tonight:

Homemade tomato sauce w/ pasta

Dice 3 large homegrown vine-ripened tomatoes (or, in my case tonight: 2 freakishly large tomatoes and one smaller one, all from the garden in the backyard). Saute a couple o' cloves of garlic and a diced green or red pepper in a generous amount of olive oil, add tomatoes. Simmer, stirring often, about 30 minutes or until reduced. Somewhere in there add a tsp of sugar, and salt, basil, oregano, and thyme to taste. Tonight I also added some diced portabellas sauteed in olive oil. Spoon over pasta, enjoy with a glass of red wine. Serves 2.

This beats all store-bought pasta sauces hands down. The homegrown-ness of the tomatoes what makes it good, and is very crucial to this sauce's yumminess.
NedRaggett

« Reply #16 on: Aug 08, 2004, 10:46:58 PM »

Lalitree, you are a beautiful genius.  I promise you I shall attempt this recipe and will report on results -- my friend Y is up to her ears in great organically grown tomatoes and I've been helping her eat as many as possible.  This sounds brilliant.  :-)

"They profaned his Temple. They killed his father. They... all kinds of stuff."
jacob

« Reply #17 on: Aug 08, 2004, 10:57:46 PM »

Quote from: "Lalitree"
Here's what I made for dinner tonight:

Homemade tomato sauce w/ pasta

Dice 3 large homegrown vine-ripened tomatoes (or, in my case tonight: 2 freakishly large tomatoes and one smaller one, all from the garden in the backyard). Saute a couple o' cloves of garlic and a diced green or red pepper in a generous amount of olive oil, add tomatoes. Simmer, stirring often, about 30 minutes or until reduced. Somewhere in there add a tsp of sugar, and salt, basil, oregano, and thyme to taste. Tonight I also added some diced portabellas sauteed in olive oil. Spoon over pasta, enjoy with a glass of red wine. Serves 2.

Sounds yummy; I wish I had a garden ...

By the way, I learned a good trick for tomato sauce a few days ago on Good Eats (the nerdiest and therefore best cooking show ever): add some alcohol to the sauce when you cook it. Apparently tomatoes have flavors that only come out in the presence of it, so adding some will add a new tomatoey flavor element to the sauce. I tried it by adding 1/4 cup vodka as I started to cook a large pot of tomatoes, and thought the sauce turned out really nicely. I bet wine would do even better.

Quote from: "reeseboisse"

My friend Lexi and I are making the vegan tiramisu from your page (we're almost done), and it is AWESOME

Aww, shucks.  Very Happy  I like that recipe a lot myself. I should say, though, that recipe is a guy named Max Krafft's awesome creation, I'm just the messenger. He self-published a fantastic vegan dessert cookbook (seriously the best I've ever seen, and I've been through many vegan cookbooks) with a run of like 50 copies or something; I'm lucky enough to own one of them because my sister knows his brother.
Lalitree
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: Aug 08, 2004, 11:07:12 PM »

Quote from: "jacob"
By the way, I learned a good trick for tomato sauce a few days ago on Good Eats (the nerdiest and therefore best cooking show ever): add some alcohol to the sauce when you cook it. Apparently tomatoes have flavors that only come out in the presence of it, so adding some will add a new tomatoey flavor element to the sauce. I tried it by adding 1/4 cup vodka as I started to cook a large pot of tomatoes, and thought the sauce turned out really nicely. I bet wine would do even better.

Ah yes, I intended to do that and forgot. Certainly some red wine in the sauce would be divine.
SPACERACE

« Reply #19 on: Aug 08, 2004, 11:10:18 PM »

Quote from: "jacob"
Quote from: "reeseboisse"
My friend Lexi and I are making the vegan tiramisu from your page (we're almost done), and it is AWESOME

Aww, shucks.  Very Happy  I like that recipe a lot myself. I should say, though, that recipe is a guy named Max Krafft's awesome creation, I'm just the messenger. He self-published a fantastic vegan dessert cookbook (seriously the best I've ever seen, and I've been through many vegan cookbooks) with a run of like 50 copies or something; I'm lucky enough to own one of them because my sister knows his brother.

Mmm, if the run was as small as you say, that's a terrible shame. If all of the recipies in the book are that good, going veggie (at least to some degree) doesn't sound so terrible anymore. I should admit though, maybe 5-10% of my enthusiasm from the last post came from the rum and Grand Marnier in that recipie, both of which we certainly didn't let go to waste.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
erin

« Reply #20 on: Aug 09, 2004, 04:31:51 AM »

I haven't tried this recipe, but it's sitting right here -- someone give it a shot and let me know how it turns out. It gets big props on LJ's veganism community.

Cornbread!

2 c. cornmeal
2 c. soy flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp salt
3/4 c. sugar
2 c. soymilk
2 c. water
1/2 c. canola oil

preheat oven to 350. mix all dry stuff together. add all liquids to mixed dry stuff. oil pan. put empty pan into pre-heated oven for 5 mins. pour batter into well oiled 9x9 pan. cook for 50-60 minutes or to taste.

(But really, kids -- it was over 100 here today. Fuck abuncha cooking -- this weather almost makes me want to become a raw-foodist already!)

If you're not now, you never were.
popquizkid

« Reply #21 on: Aug 09, 2004, 11:19:54 AM »

Quote from: "Ah_Pook"
forget this vegan crap, its time for...

i was starting to think i was the only one here who ate meat Sad
stephanie

« Reply #22 on: Aug 09, 2004, 11:45:53 AM »

Um.

This isn't a food recipe, but living alone and three doors down from a liquor store does lead to the occasional stint as an amateur bartender.  This is sort of a modified vodka gimlet.

imprecisely:
,Aec 1 pint glass, filled halfway with ice
,Aec lemon-lime soda (Sprite stays carbonated the longest)
precisely:
,Aec 3 oz. citrus vodka (I'm an Absolut girl, for practicality's sake)
,Aec 1 oz. Rose's sweetened lime juice

Pour the vodka over the ice, top with the lime juice, fill the rest of the glass with soda.  Stir.  Result, in the words of Li'l Jon:  CRUNK JUICE.
luanda

« Reply #23 on: Aug 09, 2004, 11:55:43 AM »

ft
Funkyboss

« Reply #24 on: Aug 09, 2004, 12:42:43 PM »

If you like cooking, I've found the show "Good Eats" on the food network to be invaluable.  It's hosted by a guy named Alton Brown, and even if you don't like everything he makes, he explains the science behind it.  I've learned a lot and very rarely go wrong when I try his recipes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: R e C I P E S
Jump to: