Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 21, 2014, 08:11:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658018 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 45 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 45
Print
Author Topic: Get to know your fellow LPtJ readers!  (Read 106054 times)
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2005, 03:29:22 PM »

Has he fully come to enjoying Rhapsody yet?  Ughhhh.  I imagined it would happen sometime.  I'm sort of the black sheep in the group of freinds.  When it comes to power metal you can get me to Judas Priest, Maiden and Blind Guardian, but beyond that......no.  The Mountain Goats and Madlib may be some of my doing, heh.  Kevin has good taste.

Puddle Pants
Lucy

« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2005, 12:26:09 AM »

haha, yeah he really enjoys Rhapsody. He tells me all the things that I hate about it are the things that make it so great. He uses the word great. I take major issue with that! I'm not huge into power metal by any stretch (extend that to death metal and the ilk) but yeah, I can deal with the Priest, the Maiden and Blind Guardian okay. At work Leary mostly plays the 80s hair metal, which I think is hysterical and I can totally enjoy because it's essentially cheesy pop music and I'm pretty much always okay with that. Watching Kevin talk about Behemoth is the funniest thing ever.

If that's your influence, I thank you  Smile
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2005, 12:55:47 AM »

Quote from: "WhereTheSlimeLive"
Judas Priest, Maiden and Blind Guardian, but beyond that......no.

Quote from: "Lucy"
but yeah, I can deal with the Priest, the Maiden and Blind Guardian okay

I totally dig Maiden and BG, don't care for Judas Priest all that much (Priest and Maiden would more properly fall under NWoBHM than Power Metal, but I totally see where you're coming from, as I see Power Metal as exemplified by Blind Guardian as a fairly direct descendant of those two bands as well).  Tried Rhapsody and couldn't get into it, maybe it was too cheesy, I don't know.  But I will admit to an unnatural love for Falconer.  At least the first two albums--god, Matthias Blad's voice is so incredible.  I guess probably that discussion is not for this thread, sorry to barge into your hijack but I loves me some Iron Maiden and Blind Guardian. And Falconer, God help me.  Anybody else love Falconer the way I do?  

God, I've just thrown away all credibility.  Fuck it.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2005, 01:10:37 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2005, 01:14:33 AM »

Yeah, I'm a bit drunk, devil chicken my friend, I'm not even sure what I'm talking about.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2005, 01:19:21 AM »

all i have to contribute is that i love 80s glam metal... well, most of it. i'm not above putting on van halen, poison, motley crue, cinderella, warrant, or skid row (probably them the most often) every now and again. of course, it depends on the album whether it's worth listening to with pretty much any band in this genre, but there's a lot of great shit out there where that stuff is concerned. read "fargo rock city" by chuck klosterman for details. that book is beautiful.

but as for power metal... well, i listen to maiden, but i'm with jim that they're nwobhm. other than that, i can't really comment, as i haven't heard almost any of those bands.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2005, 01:21:31 AM »

Glad I could... help.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #232 on: May 29, 2005, 01:28:43 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
but as for power metal... well, i listen to maiden, but i'm with jim that they're nwobhm. other than that, i can't really comment, as i haven't heard almost any of those bands.

You should listen to some, but, well...   I'm not recommending any more albums to you until I hear back whether you liked the Alan Parsons Project Tales of Mystery and Imagination album or not.  I hope you did, but, remember, honesty is the best policy...  and of course, I need to know if you're coming after me or not.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #233 on: May 29, 2005, 01:30:00 AM »

i must confess that i still haven't heard it. SO YOU'RE SAFE FOR NOW. heh heh.

i'll listen to it soon.

coldforge

« Reply #234 on: May 29, 2005, 09:17:22 AM »

Power Metal sucks balls.

My housemate loves Manowar because they're hilarious, and I won't begrudge him that, but fugget that shit.

l'era del terzo mondo.
SPACERACE

« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2005, 09:21:42 AM »

At least they're not Accept.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
RoyBiggins

« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2005, 06:12:08 PM »

Oh, yeah! Yojimbomonkey...you're the one who likes that APP album with all the poe stuff.  I don't really know what to do with that--you seem like a reasonable guy with good taste...what the hell is the deal with that album?  I mean, my roommate and I hijacked his stepdad's copy to listen to after Lou Reed put out The Raven, and we laughed at the both of those records pretty heartily.  I don't mean to sound insulting or anything, but could you explain to me what's good about it?

PS- Lou Reed's album is ridiculous, all the way from the first line: "These are the stories of edgar allen poe/not exactly the boy next [door, but pronounced "doh" as to rhyme with poe.]"  I shit you not.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2005, 08:55:52 PM »

Wow.  Well, I'm sure we all have something we like that somebody else thinks is ridiculous.  And I'm far from a reasonable guy with good taste.  There are far darker pages than that in the Big Book of Shitty Music Jim Likes.  Insipid 80s Motown pop anyone?  Or maybe a Duran Duran marathon?

However, that particular album I don't believe falls under the guilty pleasure category.  It was a groundbreaking progressive rock album.  The Raven was one of the first uses of a digital vocoder in popular music.  Throughout most of the album, each song matches the mood of the particular piece of literature it's interpreting.  Listen to the paranoid screams of The Tell-Tale Heart or the stifling melancholy of The Cask of Amontillado.  The album is a well-conceived, well-written, well-performed, and well-produced piece of art.

On a side note, can you imagine how ridiculous someone would have to be to insist on only listening to a particular kind of music?  Like, "I only listen to indie synth pop produced after 1996" or "I only listen to Norwegian folk black metal (fuck the Swedes)."  They'd be like the people who only read Dragonlance novels or only watch hour-long crime dramas on TV.  (i.e., morons)

Or maybe there's a master list out there of all the albums that it's OK to like and somehow my copy got lost in the mail.  I don't think I want it anyway.  I'm probably not the most discriminating person.  I don't listen to music with a critical ear usually.  I listen to music that I enjoy listening to, and I enjoy listening to a lot of different kinds of music.  

I took your post a little too seriously and made too serious a point based on it and for that I apologize.  But instead of listening to the album with a friend for the purpose of giggling at how stupid it is, try listening to it by yourself, with some headphones on.  Sit in a dim room, with just a reading light next to your chair.  Maybe read some Poe while you're at it.  Listen for things to like about it instead of things to make fun of.  Maybe you'll catch a glimmer of the things I like so much about it.  

Or maybe you'll still think it's ridiculous.  Who knows?

Lucy

« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2005, 09:38:34 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
all i have to contribute is that i love 80s glam metal... well, most of it. i'm not above putting on van halen, poison, motley crue, cinderella, warrant, or skid row (probably them the most often) every now and again. of course, it depends on the album whether it's worth listening to with pretty much any band in this genre, but there's a lot of great shit out there where that stuff is concerned. read "fargo rock city" by chuck klosterman for details. that book is beautiful.

yes! to all of it!
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #239 on: May 30, 2005, 01:29:36 PM »

They should re-name 80s hair metal to 'Alot of New York Doll tribute bands'.

Puddle Pants
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #240 on: May 30, 2005, 04:40:46 PM »

Quote from: "YojimboMonkey"
They'd be like the people who only read Dragonlance novels or only watch hour-long crime dramas on TV. (i.e., morons)

hahah you just snapped on at least a half-dozen of my store's regular customers. which is pretty awesome.

Quote from: "WhereTheSlimeLive"
They should re-name 80s hair metal to 'Alot of New York Doll tribute bands'.

are you crazy? i can see that where poison and la guns are concerned, but pretty much no other band in the genre. i'm sure they were somewhat of an influence on motley crue, but van halen and skid row, just for an example, have nothing to do with the new york dolls. i think a much more ubiquitous influence would be kiss, but even they didn't necessarily influence every hair metal band (i really doubt def leppard gave a fuck about kiss OR the ny dolls--they were taking more from t. rex).

i guess what i'm saying is that if you listen to it more and start to gain an appreciation for nuance within the genre, you'll see that your statement is overly reductive. haha i should revive the rough guide thread with one for glam metal.

WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #241 on: May 30, 2005, 06:23:56 PM »

I was just stealing someone elses joke

Puddle Pants
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #242 on: May 30, 2005, 06:35:12 PM »

oh. my bad.

WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #243 on: May 30, 2005, 08:01:46 PM »

it's cool

Puddle Pants
RoyBiggins

« Reply #244 on: Jun 01, 2005, 12:04:47 PM »

As long as I'm procrastinating....

Name: Brian
Three Bands you like: Tom Waits, Iron & Wine and The Weakerthans are probably the last three I heard.
Favorite movie: Top three are: The Big Lebowski, The Seven Year Itch and The Royal Tenenbaums.  And I automatically have a little crush on whoever said "The Apartment."
Favorite book: I Much Love Flannery O'Connor and Kurt Vonnegut, especially "Hocus Pocus" by KV.  American Fiction from 1900-1960 is a good catch-all.
Favorite comic strip: The Far Side
Which goonie would you want to share a studio apartment with? Data.
Skills/hobbies: Music.  Writing. Skee-Ball (which is both a skill and a hobby.)
Sillls/hobbies you wish you had: To be a better musician.  To be able to read Greek, Latin, and Hebrew.  But possibly not in that order.  To be not just a better cook, but a faster cook.
Last CD you bought: Yesterday I got Billy Bragg and Wilco, Devin Davis, and Come, Come to the Sunset Tree.
Was it good? I bet they're all going to be awesome.
Favorite poem: This is an awful thing to ask an English major.  "A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning" by John Donne.  Several by Donne and Andrew Marvell.  "This is just to say--" by William Carlos Williams.  Jeebus, there are so many.  So much of "The Temple" by George Herbert is good.  there is one in there that reads "There is in love a sweetnesse readie penn'd: Copie out only that, and save expense." Which is, I think, my primary goal as a writer.
Best popsicle flavor: Dreamsicle or Fudgsicle, depending on the day.
Favorite instrument: Don't have one.  Love all instruments very much.  Partial to quirkier ones.  Listen to the zither score from The Third Man.  So awesome.
Favorite word: Biolumenesence.
Favorite word for kiss: Nicmo, a term coined by the first girl I ever loved, which actually stands for Non-Comittal Make-Out.
Picture: Maybe later? Don't have any access to them right now.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #245 on: Jun 01, 2005, 12:10:40 PM »

Quote from: "YojimboMonkey"
Or maybe there's a master list out there of all the albums that it's OK to like and somehow my copy got lost in the mail.  I don't think I want it anyway.  I'm probably not the most discriminating person.  I don't listen to music with a critical ear usually.  I listen to music that I enjoy listening to, and I enjoy listening to a lot of different kinds of music.  

I took your post a little too seriously and made too serious a point based on it and for that I apologize.  But instead of listening to the album with a friend for the purpose of giggling at how stupid it is, try listening to it by yourself, with some headphones on.  Sit in a dim room, with just a reading light next to your chair.  Maybe read some Poe while you're at it.  Listen for things to like about it instead of things to make fun of.  Maybe you'll catch a glimmer of the things I like so much about it.  

Or maybe you'll still think it's ridiculous.  Who knows?

Sorry, I did come off as kind of brash and "too hip for prog" and stuff.  Truth is, I do like Alan Parsons and prog and stuff, just always found that album...well, yeah.  Funny.  I didn't mean to be a dick, though.  All I really wanted was some reasons you like the album, so I could approach it from a different angle.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #246 on: Jun 01, 2005, 01:31:54 PM »

Quote from: "RoyBiggins"
"This is just to say--" by William Carlos Williams.

god yes. that one is great. nothing beats prufrock for me, but that's up there.

Bernard

« Reply #247 on: Jun 01, 2005, 01:39:18 PM »

I always hated that poem.

This is just to say
I screwed your girlfriend
I couldn't help it we
Were both wasted
She was all right.

(I'm paraphrasing somebody else's parody)

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #248 on: Jun 01, 2005, 01:41:27 PM »

damn it bernard!  Evil or Very Mad

Wally

« Reply #249 on: Jun 05, 2005, 06:26:12 PM »

Name-Dominic
Three Bands you like: Arab Strap, Songs: Ohial and Pulp
Favorite movie: Meantime
Favorite book:Where I'm calling from
 Which goonie would you want to share a studio apartment with?None, I was constantly serenaded by chorus's of "HEy you Guys!!" throughout my school years due to my rather peculiar face, so I hate that film with all the blood in my now very cold heart
Skills/hobbies:I can bust the salsa all over your living room but I look very silly.
Sillls/hobbies you wish you had:Being able to salsa all over your livinf room without looking silly, either that or being able recite ntire chapters from all books ever written even when I'm drunk.
Last CD you bought: Last Romance
Was it good? Haven't unwrapped it yet.
Favorite poem:[/b]
IF I should die,  
And you should live,  
And time should gurgle on,  
And morn should beam,  
And noon should burn,          
As it has usual done;  
If birds should build as early,  
And bees as bustling go,,Aei  
One might depart at option  
From enterprise below!        
,AeoT is sweet to know that stocks will stand  
When we with daisies lie,  
That commerce will continue,  
And trades as briskly fly.  
It makes the parting tranquil          
And keeps the soul serene,  
That gentlemen so sprightly  
Conduct the pleasing scene!

Best popsicle flavor:Anything that resembles something citrussyyyyy
Favorite instrument:Piano oh if dreams meant the nature to be able  to play
Favorite word: Toodles
Favorite word for kiss:hit

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 45
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Get to know your fellow LPtJ readers!
Jump to: