Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 24, 2014, 04:06:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658209 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 44 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "faith in the system"...excerpts from mother jones  (Read 1160 times)
davy

« on: Nov 04, 2004, 12:02:20 AM »

here's some of the highlights from a very eye-opening and generally dread-inducing article on the seperation-of-church-and-state-or-lack-thereof issue.

found in the sept/oct 2004 issue of mother jones:

with 60 percent of americans now believing that religion can solve all of today's problems, politicians have learned their place.

quotes:

"unique among the nations, america recognized the source of our character as being godly and eternal, not being civic and temporal. we have no king but jesus." ~john ashcroft

"george bush was not elected by a majority of the voters. he was appointed by god." ~general william boykin

"i don't believe there is a seperation of church and state. i think the constitution is very clear. we have the right and the freedom to exercise our religion no matter what it is anywhere we choose to do it. we have an opportunity to once again get back into the public arena." ~tom delay

facts and figures:

57% of americans regularly attend religious services, as opposed to 15% in france, 10% in the UK, and 25% in israel.

president bush has used the word "evil" at least 350 times in speeches [as of august, 2004].

would jesus drive an SUV?
29% say yes
46% (of SUV drivers) say yes
33% say no
--and 7% volunteered he would walk

85% of bush supporters say his faith makes him a strong leader; 65% of kerry supporters say bush's faith makes him closed-minded.

john ashcroft spent $8,000 on curtains to cover the partially nude statues "spirit of justice" and "majesty of law".

by 2016, christian exodus (a faith-based organization) hopes to get 50,000 followers to move to south carolina, secede, and "reestablish" a christian nation.

38% of americans wouldn't vote for a well-qualified muslim for president. 52% wouldn't vote for a well-qualified atheist.

4 in 10 americans think that politicians talk of faith and prayer "too little"; 2 in 10 say "too much"

since 2002, a sex-ed group that criticizes the administration's abstinence-only policies has been audited by federal health officials three times.

51% of americans call providing universal health care "a moral issue," and 72% would be willing to repeal the tax cuts to do it.

3 in 4 evangelicals say bush has proved to be a compassionate conservative. just 2 in 5 catholics agree.

7 in 10 white evangelicals say israel was "given to the jews by god." 7 in 10 israelis want to evacuate most wast bank settlements.

in 2002, pat robertson's operation blessing organization applied for a $500,000 grant, which was awarded.

last fall, republicans pressured the NIH to investigate 157 AIDS and sexuality researchers on a list provided by the traditional values coalition.

13 of the 16 members of the 1996 texas task force that recommended gov. bush waive regulations on faith-based groups worked for such groups. by 2001, texas faith-based child-care facilities had rates of "confirmed abuse and neglect" 25 times higher than regulated childcare facilities.

the conservative family research council calculates that 6 million likely democratic voters have been aborted since roe v. wade.

61% of democrats pray daily.

in the senate's dirksen office building last march, convicted felon reverend sun myung moon was coronated in a bizarre ceremony attended by at least 13 members of congress (the unification church claims 81 attended). a longtime conservative patron and owner of the washington times, moon has recently reached out to the black community. several african american legislators attended, including rep. danny k. davis (D-Ill.), who crowned moon while the reverend declared himself to be the messiah and to have saved the souls of hitler and stalin. use of the building requires authorization by a senator, but the identity of that lawmaker was not made public.

how do you like them apples?

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
mackro

« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2004, 01:59:42 AM »

go ahead guys.. keep up with the fun little numbers and statistics dances... they sure were entertaining before the election... why not after?

(not meant personally to you, fyg.. just the general doomsday mindset)

i'm not sexiest yet know know
boganlux

« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2004, 05:45:51 PM »

51% of americans call providing universal health care "a moral issue," and 72% would be willing to repeal the tax cuts to do it.

What's that one doing in there? It sounds like a good thing to me, and completely unrelated to religion.
davy

« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2004, 07:22:36 PM »

well, yeah, not all of them are bad. the idea is that all of them are, or should be, somewhat surprising and/or frightening.

and i didn't transcribe all the blurbs, either. just the ones i found most interesting. if i included everything, i'm sure it would have presented a more balanced/coherent view.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: "faith in the system"...excerpts from mother jones
Jump to: