Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658134 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: For Those About to Rock (We Are) The Road Crew  (Read 1875 times)
max

« on: Nov 05, 2004, 02:16:35 AM »

So, my birthday's coming up, and I wanna frickin' rock, kiddies.  

To that end, gimme yr advice on Motorhead and AC/DC: where do I start?  What are yr favorites?  

(And, if you feel like it, maybe not just a list of album names -- pretend I'm sneering in disbelief, and you gotta convince me what's so great about 'em.  Birthday money is to be spent here, folks....)
jebreject

« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2004, 02:44:54 AM »

oh shit, i don't have the time to get into this, but i wish i did

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
mackro

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2004, 02:45:18 AM »

Oh man, AC/DC.. this could be long...

I'm in the minority opinion here so keep this in mind..

but don't buy into the hype that Back In Black is "like the ONLY AC/DC album you neeed dooood".  I think it's their, like, eighth greatest album, if even that?  I even like another Brian Johnson era album better I think.

I'd start with either Let There Be Rock (1977), Powerage (1978), or Highway To Hell (1979).  The key thing is: start with the Bon Scott albums.. then tread into the Brian Johnson albums warily.

Highway To Hell is the most solid album I think, but it's Bon Scott as his most calm... still though, it's the first Mutt Lange produced AC/DC album, which is a plus.  Powerage is the other good first one, because Bon is the opposite of calm on that album...  On the other hand, Let There Be Rock is great because it contains AC/DC's best song ever.. "Let There Be Rock".  The part where it's just bass, drums, and Bon prosletyzing sends shivers down my spine in a positive energetic way.

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (orig. 1976) is also pretty good, but there's a weird story with that one.  It was never released outside Australia originally for weird reasons to do with lame music execs in the U.S. and U.K.  It only got reissued across the waters in 1981 (after Bon died, after Back In Black in 1980) but replaced key tracks with previously released tracks like "Problem Child".. (for what reason?  I have no idea)... BUT you get "Dirty Deeds", "Big Balls", and "Ride On" which are worth it alone.

Anyway, I should stop before I make this a full article.

i'm not sexiest yet know know
mackro

« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2004, 02:46:46 AM »

As for Motorhead, I think the "Ace of Spades is like the oooonly Motorhead album you neeed doooood" line actually rings truer than the parallel AC/DC line...

I do want to explore the earlier Motorhead records...

Then again, maybe you should explore early Hawkwind, too. Wink

justinh

« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2004, 09:09:03 AM »

for motorhead, it's all about bomber, overkill, and ace of spades.  

if you like motorhead, you should definitely check out (if you haven't already) amebix and born dead icons.  

as for ac/dc, i'm with mackro on this one, i like dirty deeds, highway to hell, and let there be rock.  but i do think back in black is pretty good, too.  i'm pretty into the song who made who, as well.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2004, 10:37:05 AM »

ok yeah, everyone else is going along the same lines i would, so let me just say that i really like ac/dc's first one, "high voltage", and don't think it gets enough credit. oh, and where brian johnson is concerned--"back in black", "for those about to rock," and "fly on the wall" are the only albums you need. i'll leave it at that for now.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
lucky strike

« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2004, 01:42:14 PM »

MUDHONEY, BITCH

LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IM A DETECTIVE GOD DAMN IT
milly balgeary

« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2004, 01:59:19 PM »

seriously. MUDHONEY and the MELVINS.

mackro

« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2004, 02:02:58 PM »

If we're talking purely Brian Johnson albums for AC/DC, For Those About To Rock... We Salute You (1981) is the best one, overall.  It's quite relentless all the way to the second half of the second side.

For the best Brian Johnson era songs, it's Back In Black, and yeah, it's the obvious ones: "Hell's Bells", "Back In Black", and "You Shook Me All Night Long", but -- with the possible exception of "Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" -- the rest of the album seems like slightly-better filler, really... whereas For Those About To Rock... We Salute You is pretty rock solid for the most part.

Flick Of The Switch (1983) is alright, and (sorry Andrew) I can't stand Fly On The Wall (1985) mostly.

Blow Up Your Video (1988) was a bit of a recharge and, most importantly, a hint at change.. and The Razor's Edge (1990) pretty much reigned in the change in style which was way overdue (via "Thunderstruck", arguably the best post-Bon AC/DC song).. Angus's guitar playing has progressed and changed at this point...  Ballbreaker (1995) slowed things down but also solidified the change even further -- and Rick Rubin's production was a good fit, but the best album so far in the "nu-AC/DC" era is the most recent one!  Stiff Upper Lip from 2000.  That and For Those About To Rock are better than Back In Black, IMHO.

Still though, ALL Bon Scott era albums are better than any Brian Johnson albums.  Johnson and Young themselves will freely admit that.

What I don't like about Johnson is that, while he's a great ranter and screamer, his palette is far more limited, and his voice follows as a more gruff version of that metallic rock timbre... whereas Bon Scott's was purely unique, defying both punk rock timbres and metallic timbres (which, granted, the latter had yet to fully develop, as bands like Kix, etc. were in their infant stages and still reading the Robert Plant How-To-Warble-In-A-Heroic-Sonata book.. haha. That said the first self-titled Kix album from 1981 is GROSSLY underrated... heh, sorry for Chuck Eddy-ing all over this post Smile )  That said, Johnson calming his voice down (probably due to just age at this point) has helped with AC/DC's relatively recent stylistic changes, which are quite welcome.

I think it's time to post my Rough Guide To AC/DC here and in the Rough Guide thread...

mackro

« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2004, 02:34:05 PM »

The Ruff Guide to AC/DC

CD BON

1.It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock & Roll) [from Australia T.N.T., Intl. High Voltage]
2.Rock & Roll Singer [from Australian T.N.T., Intl. High Voltage]
3.T.N.T. [from Australian T.N.T., Intl. High Voltage]
4.Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap [from Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap]
5.Big Balls [from Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap]
6.Jailbreak [from Australian Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Intl. Jailbreak '74]
7.Ride On [from Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap]
8.Dog Eat Dog [from Let There Be Rock]
9.Let There Be Rock [from Let There Be Rock]
10.Problem Child [from Let There Be Rock]
11.Rock 'N' Roll Damnation [from Powerage]
12.Down Payment Blues [from Powerage]
13.What's Next to the Moon [from Powerage]
14.Highway to Hell [from Highway To Hell]
15.Love Hungry Man [from Highway To Hell]
16.Get It Hot [from Highway To Hell]
17.Beating Around The Bush [from Highway To Hell]
18.Night Prowler [from Highway To Hell]

CD BRIAN

1.Hells Bells [from Back In Black]
2.Back In Black [from Back In Black]
3.You Shook Me All Night Long [from Back In Black]
4.For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) [from For Those About To Rock We Salute You]
5.Put The Finger On You [from For Those About To Rock We Salute You]
6.Snowballed [from For Those About To Rock We Salute You]
7.Deep In The Hole [from Flick Of The Switch]
8.Brain Shake [from Flick Of The Switch]
9.Fly On The Wall [from Fly On The Wall]
10.First Blood [from Fly On The Wall]
11.Heatseeker [from Blow Up Your Video]
12.Ruff Stuff [from Blow Up Your Video]
13.Thunderstruck [from The Razors Edge]
14.The Razors Edge [from The Razors Edge]
15.Hard As A Rock [from Ballbreaker]
16.Ballbreaker [from Ballbreaker]
17.Can't Stand Still [from Stiff Upper Lip]
18.Stiff Upper Lip [from Stiff Upper Lip]
19.Hold Me Back [from Stiff Upper Lip]

justinh

« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2004, 02:38:31 PM »

dude, i LOVE "rock n' roll ain't noise pollution".  Amazing song.  

There totally needs to be a rough guide, because although i like them alright, almost all their records have a sizable amount of filler.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2004, 04:29:17 PM »

oh man, now i'm going to have to make myself a copy of that double cd. although i must say i'm bummed about the lack of "whole lotta rosie", "rock n roll ain't noise pollution", and "big guns" (yes, i like that song quite a bit), on the whole it's awesome.

anyone care to attempt a motorhead counterpart?

mackro

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2004, 04:46:17 PM »

heh, if you're making this yourself, change what you want!  Smile

justinh

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2004, 06:31:37 PM »

motorhead is too hard because all their songs sound almost exactly the same.  

i used to have a double LP called "no remorse" that did a pretty good job of being a rough guide to motorhead, though.
martin_van_buren

« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2004, 07:19:56 PM »

AC/DC- Highway to Hell
Motorhead- Ace of Spades

And as to why you should get any albums by either of them, ask yourself "Do I want to rock?" If you answered yes to that question, buy them.
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2004, 08:19:01 PM »

and if you still want to rock, buy Strapping Young Lads new DVD "For Those About To Rock" Live DVD that is comming out htis month.  Most intense band that still brings the rock out of your cock.

Puddle Pants
max

« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2004, 11:00:07 PM »

Thanks to all for the advice -- I'll definitely be picking one of the Bon Scott AC/DC albums, though I suspect Mackro's 'Ruff Guide' is probably close to the ideal comp...

Wuz hoping for more on Motorhead, though.  Ace of Spades seems the consensus favorite here, with Overkill trailing slightly behind.  Surprised there's been no mention of No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith which is elsewhere described as crucial...

Actually, I'm drawn to Orgasmatron.  Here's what Christgau sez:
    I admire metal's integrity, brutality, and obsessiveness, but I can't stand its delusions of grandeur--the way it apes and misapprehends reactionary notions of nobility. One thing I like about Lemmy is that he's proud to be a clod, common as muck and dogged in his will to make himself felt as just that. Add that rarest of metal virtues, a sense of humor, which definitely extends to the music's own conventions, as on the lead cut of his first album in three litigation-packed years: yclept "Deaf Forever," a good enough joke right there (especially for Sabbaf fans), it turns out to be a battlefield anthem--about a corpse. And then add Bill Laswell, who was born to make megalomania signify: where most metal production gravitates toward a dull thud that highlights the shriek of the singer and the comforting reverberation of the signature guitar, Laswell's fierce clarity cracks like a whip, inspiring Lemmy, never a slowpoke in this league, to bellow one called "Built for Speed." Result: work of art. A-
Of course Christgau, by his own admission, isn't really to be trusted where metal is concerned.  Neither for that matter is Laswell -- his idea of metal seems to be Buckethead, whose conceptual wackiness does not for me excuse his widdly-widdly proclivities.  Anybody know this record?
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2004, 12:12:49 PM »

don't know that record, but boy do i hate christgau. if only lester bangs was still alive...

max

« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2004, 01:08:00 PM »

Hee hee.

No way, Andrew.  Christgau's for sure got his blind spots, but he's always been honest about them.  He's maybe not as interesting to me as he once was, but he's opened my ears to so much great music that he'll always get a pass from me.

I Heart Christgau!
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: For Those About to Rock (We Are) The Road Crew
Jump to: