Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 01, 2014, 03:38:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657934 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Let's get this whole AMG redesign thing off our chests.  (Read 4977 times)
Roque

« on: Aug 04, 2004, 01:04:29 PM »

Because God knows I'm not over it yet. So ...

Which agent of Satan engineered the redesign of AllMusic.com? And can I declare a holy war against it/him/her/them?

Contenders:

> The Yankees
> Mrs Erlewine
> J.J. from Good Times
> Karl Rove

/////

And so it was that Pooh discovered that his friend Tigger was merely the representative of a reactionary class, and needed to be overthrown.
dan

« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2004, 01:17:04 PM »

More to the point, what's an appropriate punishment? I'm thinking either a forced viewing of "Catwoman" (cf. Boondocks) or having to lick Paul Wolfowitz's comb.

I can't think of which might be worse, frankly.
wordsofglass

« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2004, 01:47:49 PM »

Apparently Microsoft paid AMG some good money to be able to use their database for album CDDB type usage, so they might be a contender for blame. All the new having to click things....is pretty damn annoying. Less information per page, etc. At least it's kinda pretty though? (they finally got rid of the ugly non-IE browser warning strip they'd had)
justinh

« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2004, 02:12:37 PM »

it's terrible.  the clicking isn't so bad, it's how slooooooow the thing moves when you click it.
wordsofglass

« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2004, 03:13:44 PM »

i figure they'll fix that right? THEY HAVE TO. please?
Roque

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2004, 03:24:53 PM »

Quote from: "wordsofglass"
i figure they'll fix that right? THEY HAVE TO. please?

They won't! Nope.

If anything, they'll split the pages into even smaller subpages! And there'll be intricate Flash ads between syllables! And mouseover popups! They will never stop until Erlewine's Faustian bargain is negated on a technicality.

And so it was that Pooh discovered that his friend Tigger was merely the representative of a reactionary class, and needed to be overthrown.
Nickosaurus

« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2004, 03:33:19 PM »

Yeah, everything about it sucks. The only slight improvement are the sound clips, but those have always been available at amazon or pitchfork.

This must be where pies go when they die
Lalitree
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2004, 06:12:26 PM »

Some moron "web developer" who thinks it's still 1999 did that monstrosity. Browser-specific code, flash navigation, javascript links--what the hell is the deal with the javascript links, absolutely no regard for web standards. Then they whined about how much time it takes to write compatible code. Meanwhile there's this whole community of web designers/developers who do amazing standards-based work, and they let some M$ flunky do it.  Evil or Very Mad
Roque

« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2004, 06:27:51 PM »

Quote from: "Lalitree"
Some moron "web developer" who thinks it's still 1999 did that monstrosity. Browser-specific code, flash navigation, javascript links--what the hell is the deal with the javascript links, absolutely no regard for web standards. Then they whined about how much time it takes to write compatible code. Meanwhile there's this whole community of web designers/developers who do amazing standards-based work, and they let some M$ flunky do it.  Evil or Very Mad

I think they always had those retarded javascript links. And I think it's just to make it harder for robots to steal the content from the site (which no longer matters now that all the content is spread across MSN's music-shopping site[!]). Has anyone run this mammer-jammer on Explorer for Mac?! It's a nightmare within a nightmare. I use Safari, but still.

A coup at the AMG web dept. must occur. Lalitree could, if only briefly, take the reins as web-dictator there, whence she'd restore metaphysical balance to the Internet once more.

/////

leslie

« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2004, 05:46:57 AM »

there is some good news - all the AMG data is available vis a vis the mp3.com site without all the bells and whistles of AMG. still, I think it's wise to write to amg to lodge a complaint in the hopes they roll thesite back from lack of use and user displeasure, but meanwhile you can get your info fix at mp3.com
Keith from TTIKTDA

« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2004, 08:33:17 AM »

The slowness wouldn't be half so bad, if I didn't have to reload every 5th page becasue NONE OF THE LINKS FCKING WORK.

fucking allmusic.

--Keith

http://www.indiekids.org
(YES! I got a domain!)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2004, 10:43:59 AM »

Quote from: "Nickosaurus"
Yeah, everything about it sucks. The only slight improvement are the sound clips, but those have always been available at amazon or pitchfork.

yes, but you have to register to hear them. and even when i'm registered and LOGGED ON, it tells me i need to log in to hear them.

GAHHHHHHH.

also, yes, roque, they always had those javascript links. and it was always really hard to create a link to a specific page within their site.

now it's just even WORSE.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
saint_arkansas

« Reply #12 on: Aug 06, 2004, 03:17:41 AM »

I don't know, I kinda like it. Plus, it finally gives me a reason to use Safari.

Main Gripe: When you click to read more on the album review, you no longer get to look at the track listing.

Speak softly, drive a Sherman Tank.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #13 on: Aug 06, 2004, 04:28:52 AM »

too many clicks, not enough info on single pages, pretty crapass layout all around, it doesnt even approach working right with opera, its slow, etc etc etc

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Nickosaurus

« Reply #14 on: Aug 06, 2004, 04:47:43 AM »

Sorry Lalitree, I don't speak nerd so that all came out as "Bleek bloop bleek blop bla boo blek"

This must be where pies go when they die
Roque

« Reply #15 on: Aug 06, 2004, 04:51:59 AM »

The Onion's been following suit. See the Three Stages of the News In Brief:

I: News In Brief stories, full-text, front page.
II: News In Brief headlines, front page. Stories on separate pages.
III: News In Brief story (singular), front page. Other stories on separate pages, must view in sequence (!!!!).

Are there more stages to come? I estimate there will be at least 3 or 4 more.

/////

davy

« Reply #16 on: Aug 06, 2004, 11:58:33 PM »

i consider it a minor miracle that this thread was created and people responded. really makes the internet feel more like home. i thought i was alone in this.

i've actually had to stop using the site while at work--at a video store--because each page takes around three minutes to load. it's better on my home computer, but still...the whole less-info-per-page is the nail in the coffin. super annoying...and not being able to see the full review AND the track listing simultaneously is just ridiculous.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

thanks for that.

~davy

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
leslie

« Reply #17 on: Aug 07, 2004, 01:01:42 AM »

I think maybe this got lost in my above posting - all the same AMG data is licensed to MP3.com. So instead of slogging thrugh the nightmare of AMG, which is just devastating and impassable, you can get all their info here without the hassle:
http://www.mp3.com/
Roque

« Reply #18 on: Aug 07, 2004, 01:39:36 AM »

Quote from: "leslie"
I think maybe this got lost in my above posting - all the same AMG data is licensed to MP3.com. So instead of slogging thrugh the nightmare of AMG, which is just devastating and impassable, you can get all their info here without the hassle:
http://www.mp3.com/

Oh, you were plenty clear. This is just a place to lament the decline and fall of AMG. Cathartic wails are a fine place to start, for instance. Or you could itemize your grievances. Whatever helps cleanse your soul of the anguish of losing AMG to bad, corporate, molasses-slow, standards-be-damned web design. I reckon something as stupidly self-identified as an "e-consulting" firm is to blame (though only a pawn of a greater evil on which I speculated in the first post).

Alternatives to getting the AMG info proper, I think everyone now knows, are out there. Google tricks are a good way to cull said info from (yes) mp3.com or (I think) MSN's music store. Any way you can.

/////

Lalitree
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: Aug 07, 2004, 10:35:07 AM »

I thought I heard that mp3.com only licensed a subset of AMG's database?
leslie

« Reply #20 on: Aug 07, 2004, 07:17:43 PM »

they couldn't clear some of the band bios, especially the ones that were written early on, but all the track, producer, band members, similarity data, etc. from the old amg site is there. there are some new amg fields that aren't in the mp3.com license. but if you're looking for old skool amg, mp3 probably has it.
NedRaggett

« Reply #21 on: Aug 08, 2004, 01:53:37 AM »

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who has encountered no real problem with the redesign as such.  Then again I write for 'em.   Confused

"They profaned his Temple. They killed his father. They... all kinds of stuff."
boganlux

« Reply #22 on: Aug 08, 2004, 02:03:55 AM »

Quote from: "NedRaggett"
Sometimes I think I'm the only person who has encountered no real problem with the redesign as such.  Then again I write for 'em.   Confused

Pass the word on up to STE that we think it sucks! They should've spent whatever money they did paying you and Unterberger to write tons more reviews!
Roque

« Reply #23 on: Aug 08, 2004, 02:29:43 AM »

Quote from: "boganlux"
Quote from: "NedRaggett"

Pass the word on up to STE that we think it sucks! They should've spent whatever money they did paying you and Unterberger to write tons more reviews!

Sweet Jesus YES. That money shoulda gone to you writers, Ankeny too. Though maybe this will encourage Richie to pen more excellent books to pay the bills. And Ned could write an apologia for apotheosizing Kevin Shields!

:wink:

NedRaggett

« Reply #24 on: Aug 08, 2004, 02:45:25 AM »

I admit I would not mind more cash, but such are the ways.   :wink:   But thank you for the kind words, we do our best.

Criticism and feedback has already been sent up a variety of ways, so mine would be but one more voice in a chorus.  

As for an apologia, hey, send over the contract!   :wink:

"They profaned his Temple. They killed his father. They... all kinds of stuff."
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Let's get this whole AMG redesign thing off our chests.
Jump to: