Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:38:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658302 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: favorites of 2004: the ENTIRE YEAR  (Read 14054 times)
terror firma

« Reply #50 on: Dec 10, 2004, 07:39:06 PM »

here's my top 10:

10) the arcade fire - funeral
9) hot snakes - audit in progress
8) lickgoldensky - s/t
7) mewithoutyou - catch for us the foxes
6) mountain goats - we shall all be healed
5) challenger - give the people what they want in lethal doses
4) dj signify - sleep no more
3) m83 - dead cities, red seas & lost ghosts
2) q and not u - power
1) atom & his package - hair: debatable

honorable mention:
modest mouse - good news for people who love bad news
passage - the forcefield kids
black eyes - cough
yaphet kotto - we bury our dead alive
arthur russell - calling out of context
handsome boy medeling school - white people
the opus - breathing lessons

good ep,Aeos:
dirty little secret - s/t ep
narrator - youth city fire ep
hot cross - fair trades and farewells ep

good comedy albums:
patton oswalt ,Aei 222 / feelin,Aeo kinda patton
david cross ,Aei it,Aeos not funny
jebreject

« Reply #51 on: Dec 10, 2004, 10:15:57 PM »

From what I've heard of Patton Oswalt, he's about THE BIGGEST Bill Hicks ripper-offer in the world.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
John
edit0r

« Reply #52 on: Dec 10, 2004, 11:37:09 PM »

Tell me more about the Yaphet Kotto album! I had that LP from a few years ago, wrote a long piece about it that I eventually trashed - didn't know they were still around
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #53 on: Dec 10, 2004, 11:57:58 PM »

yeah, i didn't know they were still around either, and was thinking that when i read that reference also. what is this, their third full-length? that's fucking insane for a chaotic hardcore band.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
ComputerJudas

« Reply #54 on: Dec 11, 2004, 12:13:38 AM »

I saw Yaphet Kotto earlier this year but wasn't too impressed and left without the album. I wouldn't really call them chaotic in the leastest. They're pretty tame compared to most bands(from the same scene), not saying that's a bad thing, but it kind of is for them.

all balls, no cock
John
edit0r

« Reply #55 on: Dec 11, 2004, 08:14:48 AM »

The album I had/probably still have seemed pretty chaotic at the time, but there's been a fair amount of interest in chaos since then and the bar has been raised, in a sense - though in another sense, it hasn't, because chaotic loud rock without any decent ideas is no better than any other idea-free effort
W. Earl Piglet

« Reply #56 on: Dec 11, 2004, 03:42:47 PM »

"The Milk-Eyed Mender" - Joanna Newsom
"Poor Aim: Love Songs" - The Blow
"Satanic Panic In The Attic" - Of Montreal
"Sung Tongs" - The Animal Collective
"On Vacation" - The Robot Ate Me
"You Are The Quarry" - Morrissey
"The Tain EP" - The Decemberists
"Nino Rojo" - Devendra Banhart
"Blood On The Wall" - Blood On The Wall
"Our Endless Numbered Days" - Iron & Wine
"One-Thousand Bird Ceremony" - The Skygreen Leopards

theres still some stuff I want to get though: Xiu Xiu, Frog Eyes, cLOUDDEAD, Fiery Furnaces, Deerhoof...
Michael

« Reply #57 on: Dec 12, 2004, 05:20:25 PM »

No particular order except for #1.

Pants Yell!- Songs for Siblings
the Besties- 5 song cdr thing
Human Television- All Songs Written By:...
the Frenchmen- Sorry We Ruined Your Party
the Mountain Goats- ...Healed
Pipas- Bitter Club
the Clientele- Ariadne EP
the Metric Mile- How To Beat the SAT
Peter Peter Hughes- The One Hundred Thousand Songs of...
The Hold Steady- ...Almost Killed Me

I'm assuming records by Trembling Blue Stars, Boyracer, Language of Flowers and Jens Lenkman that I haven't heard yet would probably be on this list.

Reissuey/greatest hits/comp things-
the Flatmates- Love and Death
This Poison!- Magazine
the Fall- 50,000 Fall Fans...
Rough Trade Indiepop I

Are you here to get pumped?
keigo

« Reply #58 on: Dec 13, 2004, 01:05:48 AM »

Quote from: "W. Earl Piglet"
"Poor Aim: Love Songs" - The Blow

that is a very very catchy cd, my friend
especially track one......
elpollodiablo

« Reply #59 on: Dec 13, 2004, 01:49:23 AM »

How's that Rough Trade comp, Michael?

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #60 on: Dec 13, 2004, 06:52:27 PM »

i'm feeling left behind right now. 60 posts, and i haven't listed anything yet. but i got a lot of 2004 releases only just recently, and haven't wrapped my head around most of them.

i'm going through the 30-odd 2004 albums i have one last time, and hopefully i'll figure out my favorites in the next week or so.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Michael

« Reply #61 on: Dec 13, 2004, 07:14:05 PM »

Quote from: "elpollodiablo"
How's that Rough Trade comp, Michael?

Totally great. A nice mix of obvious stuff, obvious-but-impossible-to-find stuff (like some amazing early Primal Scream and My Bloody Valentine songs) and stuff I'd never heard of or never manage/bothered to track down. There are, of course, things that I think have no business being on there (Mary Lou Lord, Bis, Aberfeldy) and things that were criminally excluded (Another Sunny Day, Unrest, TRUE LOVE ALWAYS), but for a 46-song compilation I think it's pretty ace.

Are you here to get pumped?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #62 on: Dec 13, 2004, 10:55:59 PM »

I sorta like Aberfeldy. They're so beyond twee, the other records near it on the shelf have started to sound more friendly.

think 'on the road.'
ComputerJudas

« Reply #63 on: Dec 13, 2004, 11:34:09 PM »

Quote from: "John"
The album I had/probably still have seemed pretty chaotic at the time, but there's been a fair amount of interest in chaos since then and the bar has been raised, in a sense - though in another sense, it hasn't, because chaotic loud rock without any decent ideas is no better than any other idea-free effort

I agree, it's almost become a parody of itself. What I found funny was that Usurp Synapse reunited to cash in on the questionable trend they helped start. Guess they thought "why the Locust have all the fun?"

all balls, no cock
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #64 on: Dec 14, 2004, 12:36:20 AM »

my band played with usurp synapse on our first tour. they were such a bunch of fucking egotistical assholes that i'd be more surprised to hear they DIDN'T reunite to cash in.

also, i would like to go on record as loving mary lou lord's music. of course, unrest deserved a spot on that comp, but i wouldn't have given them mary lou's if i was the one picking tracks.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
davy

« Reply #65 on: Dec 15, 2004, 12:36:37 AM »

since i'm not ready to post my final top ten of 2004 list yet, here's some secondary lists:

top 5 non-2004 purchases of the year

5) tie: bonnie "prince" billy - i see a darkness, paul simon - paul simon
4) brian eno - eno box II: vocal [box]
3) joe jackson - look sharp!
2) XTC - black sea
1) no thanks!: the 70s punk rebellion [box]

top 5 2004 reissues

5) mission of burma - a gun to the head
4) guided by voices - bee thousand: director's cut
3) the fall - 50,000 fall fans can't be wrong
2) les savy fav - inches
1) pavement - crooked rain, crooked rain: LA's desert origins

5 albums i surprisingly ignored

5) guided by voices - half-smiles of the decomposed
4) fiery furnaces - blueberry boat
3) magnetic fields - i
2) wilco - a ghost is born
1) they might be giants - spine

(also: franz ferdinand, REM, ted leo, smile...)

top 5 2003 albums i didn't buy until 2004

5) guided by voices - earthquake glue
4) john cale - hobosapiens
3) m. ward - transfiguration of vincent
2) the unicorns - who will cut our hair when we're gone?
1) the shins - chutes too narrow

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #66 on: Dec 15, 2004, 02:05:47 AM »

Quote from: "terror firma"

8) lickgoldensky - s/t

god this album is terrible

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
John
edit0r

« Reply #67 on: Dec 15, 2004, 09:28:18 AM »

No it isn't!
albertthefriendlyghost

« Reply #68 on: Dec 15, 2004, 11:31:12 AM »

a few things (no order):

'dreameweaver' riddim album -- always looking for single detonations but it works well, I've yet to hear the 'ragga ragga...' comp.

xenakis 2 CD set on edtion RZ is fkn marvellous -- 1st CD, orchestral works from 50s and 60s; 2nd CD, 2 electronic works (the definite mix of 'persepolis' is here). another composition disc would be the bernd zimmermann on albedo.

mattin/malfatti 'white noise' -- not much improv this year (more gigs really) -- 4'33'' done good!

sublime frequencies, of the ones I have I'll go for 'i remember syria'.

beanie sigel 'public enemy no1' (not sure which year) and jadakiss 'the champ is here' mixes.

singles are quite diff to talk abt really.
TheNames

« Reply #69 on: Dec 15, 2004, 12:27:41 PM »

Good to see some sublime frequencies love. A number of those CD's are in my #10-30 count.  "This is not your parents' world music," etc.

If I had a nickel for every cigarette your mother smoked...
I'd be dead.
heather
« Reply #70 on: Dec 15, 2004, 01:23:41 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
heather, i dunno if you were trying to stick with stuff from this year, but that cursive album is from 2003 i'm quite sure.

also, i understand why some don't like joanna newsom, but i have to join with my man jebreject in a resounding chorus of "fuck the haterz".

though i do think it's cool how that record forces people to take a stance on it one way or the other.

hon, it was STUFF i liked in 2004. hence the athf dvds.
Thermofusion

« Reply #71 on: Dec 15, 2004, 01:50:43 PM »

no particular order

Wilco - A Ghost is Born
Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
Meow Meow - Snow Gas Bones  
Lhasa - The Living Road
Brian Wilson - Smile
PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her
Bjork - Medulla
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Old Crow Medicine Show - Old Crow Medicine Show
The Thermals - Fuckin A

triple paisley minimum
terror firma

« Reply #72 on: Dec 15, 2004, 02:12:53 PM »

couple things-

yeah, yaphet kotto is still around. actually, i just saw them last friday down in long beach. the new album is, like their other albums, good, but not if you compare it to their live show. they always blow me away. if you liked "killer in gov't blankets" or "syncopated synthetic laments" then you'd like "we bury our dead alive." not much is new on this one, but its a little lighter on the vocals and a little heavier on the driving instrumental crescendos.

there's something weird about yaphet kotto that i can't put my finger on. when they get in the studio, they take their time and get the vocals right - live, however, they all sing annoyingly tone-deaf. but i still always prefer their live show. weird.

anyways, ah pook, i'm surprised you're not a fan of the s/t lickgoldensky album. i say i'm surprised despite the fact that i don't know you, because the fact that you have any opinion on this album means that you've given it a chance, which means that you probably like either lickgoldensky or other music like them. it took me a bit to get into this album, but its just so ballsy that i can't put it down. ballsy from start to finish. no names on any of the songs = ballsy. the near-two-minute unchanging drum solo in the middle of track 7 = ballsy. the decent-song-that-they-ruined-with-noise on track 9 = ballsy. i suggest you give it another chance.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #73 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:30:06 PM »

Quote from: "terror firma"
anyways, ah pook, i'm surprised you're not a fan of the s/t lickgoldensky album. i say i'm surprised despite the fact that i don't know you, because the fact that you have any opinion on this album means that you've given it a chance, which means that you probably like either lickgoldensky or other music like them. it took me a bit to get into this album, but its just so ballsy that i can't put it down. ballsy from start to finish. no names on any of the songs = ballsy. the near-two-minute unchanging drum solo in the middle of track 7 = ballsy. the decent-song-that-they-ruined-with-noise on track 9 = ballsy. i suggest you give it another chance.

i totally loved their earlier album beautiful sounds of, and they are (were?) great live. but where you see "ballsiness" i see "incredibly annoying bullshit that gets in the way of what i liked about them in the first place". i listened to it for a couple seeks straight when i picked it up trying to wrap my head around all the crap on there, then i said fuck these guys and filed it away. why waste my time with pointless pretentious wankery when there are plenty of other bands out there who will rock me just as hard without having to slog through tracks ruined by noise, or shit that sounds like a slightly rougher modest mouse, or whatever else they wanna do.

dont get me wrong i admire the effort to do something different with their genre, but admiring something and ever wanting to listen to it are different things altogether.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
TheNames

« Reply #74 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:33:04 PM »

yeah, right now that Lhasa album is reminding me of bruises i'd thought had healed.

If I had a nickel for every cigarette your mother smoked...
I'd be dead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: favorites of 2004: the ENTIRE YEAR
Jump to: