Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 01, 2014, 04:23:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 56 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Print
Author Topic: Vampire Weekend  (Read 65707 times)
andronicus

« Reply #225 on: Jan 12, 2010, 03:21:30 PM »

Still haven't heard a note.  At this point, I have kind of an emotional attachment to not having heard them, not because I think I would hate them (though I probably would) but out of a sense that, once you've lost touch with the zeitgeist to a certain degree, your best bet is to adjust your ascot, check your pocket watch and wait for it to come back to you.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #226 on: Jan 12, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »

If my attempts to get back in touch with it are any indication, it never comes back. One day everything's cool, the next day people are listening to Lil Wayne records

think 'on the road.'
ellaguru

« Reply #227 on: Jan 12, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »

Oh, it can come back. In the nineties I never even heard of Pavement, and now I listen to Lil Wayne records.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
andronicus

« Reply #228 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:52:32 PM »

I know you guys all wanted Almanzo's children to die of cancer, but I dunno, I found him kind of hilarious at the time.
Good Intentions

« Reply #229 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »

I know you guys all wanted Almanzo's children to die of cancer
No, because then he'd start a thread on how his kids' cancer could objectively be seen to be infinitely greater and more significant than anybody else's, ever. Then he'd call all of us nearsighted and bizarrely incompetent judges of cancer-significance.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2010, 08:55:25 PM by Good Intentions » Logged
clare

« Reply #230 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:05:43 PM »

Also: "why I am soft in the middle, the rest of my life is so hard". I mean, c'mon, how is that not great?

The MTV albums series (whatever the hell it's called, my brain is completley dried out in the this heat) on Graceland was pretty good - there's a bit where PS is analysing that song line-by-line and he's really pleased with it (except one line that he dismissed as "too wordy" but I can't remember which line it was)

edit:
no, wait it was this bit:

Bonedigger, Bonedigger,
Dogs in the moonlight.
Far away, my well-lit door.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2010, 09:08:35 PM by clare » Logged

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
andronicus

« Reply #231 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:46:33 PM »

I know you guys all wanted Almanzo's children to die of cancer
No, because then he'd start a thread on how his kids' cancer could objectively be seen to be infinitely greater and more significant than anybody else's, ever. Then he'd call all of us nearsighted and bizarrely incompetent judges of cancer-significance.
That was the funny part.

I think it's really fascinating to go back and read the posts about this band before they got huge, but it's even more interesting to see people sort of trying to flaccidly keep up the hype like, "yeah, a year later and it's still pretty good, bro" even though we all know that that band is the rock version of Asher Roth - always has been, always will be. Bought and sold North Eastern Ivynose.

You know what's really amazing, though, looking back on this whole "embarrassment core" tip? That the Black Kids single "Hurricane Jane" is still, even after their epochal and brutal sacrifice at the hands of the critical elite that created them, one of the finest pop songs of this decade. That's something that can never be said of "Jewish 'Chusetts" or whatever the big Vampire Weekend single was.
See?

Come back, Almanzo!
Greg Nog

« Reply #232 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »

I liked Almanzo, but I couldn't figure out how to express that without eating watermelon and singing "Mammy".  Traditional white words like "enjoy" just couldn't suffice when I read those umber posts, daddy-o.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #233 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:01:18 AM »

Also: "why I am soft in the middle, the rest of my life is so hard". I mean, c'mon, how is that not great?

Oh, the lyrics to that song are pretty good. If it were a poem, I'd like it. Unfortunately, there's all that crappy music there fucking it up.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
clare

« Reply #234 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:41:16 AM »

But, it was the 80s, man, and he was _trying_ to do something different, he just wasn't all that good at the 'different' bit.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Thermofusion

« Reply #235 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:35:08 AM »

"roly-poly little bat-faced girl" is possibly one of my favorite combinations of words in popular music

and Graceland rules, I don't know what some of you are smoking

triple paisley minimum
jm

« Reply #236 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »

Heh!  I love that this has spiraled off into a discussion about Graceland, just because I (and others) heard some similarities in the music. 

TSKS et al. - is it the actual music you hate, or just the instrumentation?  Because it's the actual music that I see the similarities in, rather than the instrumentation (which I have agreed sounds silly as hell at times).

(Gotta mention this - I always sort of felt like All Around the World or The Myth of Fingerprints could basically be a They Might Be Giants song, right down to the shitty electro drums.  And I'm kind of down with that.)

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #237 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:45:04 AM »

"roly-poly little bat-faced girl" is possibly one of my favorite combinations of words in popular music

Haha, awesome! I had that snippet of lyrics running through my head as I was getting ready this morning. Truly wonderful.

think 'on the road.'
jm

« Reply #238 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:45:55 AM »

In related news, I've had You Can Call Me Al stuck in my head for the last two days thanks to you jerxx.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #239 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:42:33 PM »

Re: the music or the instrumentation--Of course the instrumentation is the big flagrant part that drives me nuts, but there's definitely some stuff in the actual music that annoys me too. And it's interesting that we're talking about Vampire Weekend at the same time, because in the two of their songs that I've heard (one being "Oxford Comma," the other I don't know the name of) I heard pretty conventional indie instrumentation but some of the same annoyingly catchy aspects of the music that annoys me in "Graceland" (I think I botched subject-verb agreement in that sentence, but I can't figure out how to fix it, my bad). So like, where "Graceland" actively annoys me, I don't find Vampire Weekend that awful but still have no enthusiasm for them and pretty much don't care if I never hear them again.

I don't like it when music sounds too happy. Even the melodic stuff I listen to (emo, power-pop, etc) all tends to be of a forlorn, melancholy, or angst-ridden mood, rather than happy. The happy sound of a lot of it is what also bugs me about most pop punk. And, by the way, They Might Be Giants. So yeah, I think even if "Graceland" were re-recorded right now with less lame instrumentation, I still wouldn't be that enthused about it.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
jm

« Reply #240 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:45:08 PM »

Cool, that's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!

lastclearchance

« Reply #241 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:34:07 PM »

First time I heard them they just sounded like a C86 band, The Chesterf!elds or something, diluting a bit of that Bhundu Boys/Shalawambe vibe, and yet somehow simultaneously completely 21st century, overproduced and uninterestingly bland.

which is why simon reynolds likes them so much  Laughing

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
Ah_Pook

« Reply #242 on: Jan 15, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »

man ive been listening to contra pretty much on repeat since it came out. i never heard their first album, but im really digging this one.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
alexandra

« Reply #243 on: Aug 17, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »

In related news, I've had You Can Call Me Al stuck in my head for the last two days thanks to you jerxx.
This song tortured me throughout my childhood

this message is now diamonds
kyle

« Reply #244 on: Sep 24, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »

Graceland rules, I don't know what some of you are smoking

Jeb, you know you live in the age of internet thievery, right?
yeah but i like holding things
simonfox

« Reply #245 on: Oct 15, 2010, 06:28:28 PM »

To me, really, Graceland is pretty sweet.  I mean, hit and miss definitely... I think the instrumentation actually works sometimes, but mostly fails.  But overall, it's pretty solid Paul Simon... mostly really good lyrics and hell if I don't think it's a lot of fun.

As for Vampire Weekend... catchy as hell.  I feel like I could dig them and then when I listen a few times I just get kind of bored.  I don't think they are worthy of either the praise or the pissing on I often see them getting.

heather

« Reply #246 on: Oct 21, 2010, 01:49:29 AM »

fucking FUCK a vampire weekend. FUCK.

"Oh, you're talking about a cock donut. Why didn't you say so."
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #247 on: Oct 21, 2010, 04:13:18 AM »

THIS THREAD NEVER DIES

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
Daniel

« Reply #248 on: Oct 21, 2010, 07:04:46 AM »

N*T*E*R*D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]