Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 23, 2014, 05:52:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657765 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21
Print
Author Topic: Multiple Cinegasms  (Read 31315 times)
das kranke Tier

« Reply #350 on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:32:45 PM »

Crispin Glover sort of fascinates me. 

Me too

Compendious as hell
elpollodiablo

« Reply #351 on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:34:48 PM »

Hey, do you guys know when the Coens' No Country For Old Men comes out?

think 'on the road.'
girl

« Reply #352 on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:36:34 PM »

November  Mad

Jeb posted a trailer for this recently and it looks fantastic!

this is a story and you're not in it
G.C.R

« Reply #353 on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:44:32 PM »

Me too

have you heard his great cover of "these boots are made for walkin"?

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #354 on: Jun 25, 2007, 10:19:35 PM »

Also, somewhere Andrew mentioned Charles Willeford today.  There's a movie based on The Woman Chaser that stars Patrick Warburton and is all kinds of awesome.  Has anyone else seen it?

all i knew about that was based on his writing was the movie of "miami blues", which i always figured would suck, so i never saw it. i had no idea this movie even existed.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
girl

« Reply #355 on: Jun 25, 2007, 10:22:47 PM »

I really, really love it.  It's out of print.  I have a VHS copy that I would be happy to lend out if you can't find it anywhere. 

auto-da-fey

« Reply #356 on: Jun 25, 2007, 10:46:25 PM »

Also, somewhere Andrew mentioned Charles Willeford today.  There's a movie based on The Woman Chaser that stars Patrick Warburton and is all kinds of awesome.  Has anyone else seen it?

all i knew about that was based on his writing was the movie of "miami blues", which i always figured would suck, so i never saw it. i had no idea this movie even existed.

Miami Blues was pretty mediocre, but hot damn, Willeford also wrote Cockfighter! That's one of my favorite forgotten 1970s movies, with Warren Oates starring without any dialogue. Chris, I'd love to see The Woman Chaser now.
girl

« Reply #357 on: Jun 25, 2007, 10:59:09 PM »

Can you play VHS?  I can get to the post office Wednesday or Thursday.  (If anyone can make a DVD copy from the VHS tape, that would be outstanding!)

edit:  Actually, Amazon still has used copies, and there are also a bunch of them on half.com http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ43857835QQcpidZ1264315480 if you'd like to own it. 
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2007, 01:17:25 AM by girl » Logged

auto-da-fey

« Reply #358 on: Jun 26, 2007, 04:20:46 AM »

Can you play VHS?  I can get to the post office Wednesday or Thursday.  (If anyone can make a DVD copy from the VHS tape, that would be outstanding!)

I've got some pretty killer video rental stores in my neighborhood, so I'll investigate them. But I have no idea how to convert VHS to DVD.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #359 on: Jun 26, 2007, 04:24:18 AM »

Strip Nude for Your Killer, meanwhile, is one of those films, like Love Story or Judgment at Nuremberg, which lets you know exactly what to expect and then delivers it. I could complain about a lot of things, from its resolute absence of that creepiness that makes these 70s Italian thrillers so dear to me, to its utterly uninvolving narrative, but that would be a bit beside the point. There is stripping nude, and there is killing. In spades on both fronts, and generally simultaneously.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #360 on: Jun 26, 2007, 08:33:42 AM »

Me too

have you heard his great cover of "these boots are made for walkin"?

No, I haven't.  Worth scrounging around for?

Compendious as hell
G.C.R

« Reply #361 on: Jun 26, 2007, 11:02:51 PM »

Well, it is pretty... surprising.

Watched half of Thumbsucker the other night. it gets my lowest rating ever, seven thumbs up. There was only script-realism there, like this kid is 17 and his parents are only just starting to get worried that the kid is constantly sucking his thumb? why so suddenly, and not like, when he was 14? And the girlfriend- god, what a truly badly written character. ew.
And then I watched "NightWatch", and wow, those russian vampires kick total ass.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
alistarr*

« Reply #362 on: Jun 27, 2007, 07:49:57 AM »

The Man Called Peter is about a scottish dude who becomes chaplain to the US senate sometime around the middle of last century. despite a hilarious scottish accent it was exactly the kind of old movie i wanted to watch yesterday afternoon. Some of the acting was great, despite there being not very much of note in the thing's story, to be honest. the ending really got to me.

when harry met sally was enlightening this time around as i realised it was yet another place from which my girlfriend had taken character traits. and despite meg ryan having some of her least cute haircuts in this film, it's still pretty great. both characters are pretty sucky at being with people, though, and yesterday that annoyed me.

The Animatrix isn't really a film, of course - it's nine short animated ones (or eight, with one of them being a two-parter) - but it filled the film-sized hole in my afternoon between those first two and was highly entertaining in parts. only about half of them are really worth rewatching but there are a couple i could see many more times than i already have. really interesting bonus in my beautiful ten disc matrix box set.
jebreject

« Reply #363 on: Jun 27, 2007, 10:00:34 AM »

Friday Night Lights, which I found not nearly as compelling as the television show. I actually found myself far more interested in the football games than the characters, which of course was fairly disappointing to me, not being much of a football fan. I mean, I guess I can see how this film sort of blew the lid off of Texas high school football, but already being familiar with a lot of the weirdo bullshit practices thanks to the show, I didn't find much of it particularly shocking or whatever. Also, while I think the documentary-style camerawork is perfect for the show, in the film it was mostly distracting. All in all, it was an enjoyable movie, but not what I'd hoped it would be.

EDIT:  TEN DISC MATRIX BOXSET!?!? WTF

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
alistarr*

« Reply #364 on: Jun 27, 2007, 11:08:35 AM »

seriously, you've never seen this?

it is shiny and beautiful and holographerrific
alistarr*

« Reply #365 on: Jun 27, 2007, 11:10:42 AM »

and has the three movies plus a second disc for each movie with documentaries etc, commentaries for each movie by all sorts of people, the animatrix films on one disc, and three more discs containing various things i'm probably never going to investigate. i bought it because it was unspeakably shiny and holographerrific and beautiful and i hadn't yet purchased the movies individually when i heard it was coming out.
titus a.

« Reply #366 on: Jun 27, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »

seriously, you've never seen this?

it is shiny and beautiful and holographerrific
I LUVS ME SOME LORD OF THE MATRIX.

isn't it awesome when gandalpheus almost dies and shit but then he comes back and is all HELL NAW.
jebreject

« Reply #367 on: Jun 27, 2007, 02:51:28 PM »

It's more just that my mind is blown that anyone would BUY a ten-disc Matrix boxset ....

Oh god I'm turning into Pollo I'm so sorry Al I don't mean to be a dick

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
girl

« Reply #368 on: Jun 27, 2007, 07:53:50 PM »

Zero Hour!  Dana Andrews!  Sterling Hayden!  Linda Darnell! (. . . sorry)  Dana Andrews was a WWII fighter pilot, but today he's just an ordinary civilian on a commercial flight until the pilot and the co-pilot and many of the passengers get (wait for it. . . ) food poisoning!  Now it's up to him to land the plane, and it's up to Sterling Hayden to talk him through it.  Will his war trauma prevent him from being able to fly?  Will he be able to land?  Will he make it before the sick passengers and crew die?  The drama!

titus a.

« Reply #369 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:18:40 PM »

My Matrix box set is the edition packaged in a hollowed-out copy of Simulacra and Simulation.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #370 on: Jun 28, 2007, 12:54:47 AM »

Zero Hour!  Dana Andrews!  Sterling Hayden!  Linda Darnell! (. . . sorry)  Dana Andrews was a WWII fighter pilot, but today he's just an ordinary civilian on a commercial flight until the pilot and the co-pilot and many of the passengers get (wait for it. . . ) food poisoning!  Now it's up to him to land the plane, and it's up to Sterling Hayden to talk him through it.  Will his war trauma prevent him from being able to fly?  Will he be able to land?  Will he make it before the sick passengers and crew die?  The drama!

hahahaha holy shit. the script for this movie, under the name "flight into danger", was in one of my reading books when i was in middle school. unless, of course, this EXACT plot has been used multiple times.

anyway, today i saw "the third man" and "pleasantville". "third man" was underwhelming, unfortunately--i'm once again a victim of my own well-read-ness. if i hadn't already known that orson welles would show up an hour into the movie, it would have been a fucking shock. as it was, the movie got about 3 times as good the second he stepped on screen, but still, knowing that it was coming wrecked the suspense. also, joseph cotten's character is a fucking idiot. i love the idea of the subversive nature of the script, with it setting you up to see this dude as a hero, and then realizing after like 45 minutes that dude is a total idiot on a wrongheaded and quixotic quest to prove something he's totally wrong about--but again, i already knew it going in, so i couldn't really enjoy it. siiiigh. finally, what the fuck is up with that incessant zither melody that runs throughout the movie? first off, it was annoying; secondly, it was insanely repetitive; and thirdly, it seemed more suited for a charlie chaplin film or something. did not work for me at all. all the shit in the special features about the "inventive and memorable score" seemed really fucking ripe to me.

anyway, i think i would like the movie a lot better if i waited a year or so and watched it again, but this time, i felt really underwhelmed throughout.

i ended up liking "pleasantville" a lot better than i thought i would, but i still felt like it succumbed to some extent to the whole hollywood/middlebrow culture tendency to give audiences what they want and feed them obvious predetermined messages. sorry if that seems like a weird and overtly scholarly response to a movie, but reading "america noir" has really opened up my eyes to some ideas i've never been able to articulate before about the insidiousness of the entire dominant cultural tendency of the last 50 years or so to feed us watered down tripe that's coated with enough of a high-minded veneer to make us think we're intelligent even though we're being spoon-fed obvious and trite messages... or something. am i making any sense? the whole reason i've avoided "pleasantville" for so long despite brandon thinking it's a really good movie and urging me to check it out was precisely because i feared dealing with this exact cultural tendency. i didn't want to watch a "forrest gump" or a "schindler's list" or whatever. and it works to the extent that it's not one of these things, but it sort of is one of these things at least part of the time, so it didn't fully work for me. i enjoyed it while i was watching it, and there were some REALLY funny parts (william h. macy storming through his house going "where's my dinner?!?" in particular), but i don't think i'd actually call it anything better than decent.

guavacris

« Reply #371 on: Jun 28, 2007, 01:31:41 AM »

Mils, any list of poetry & prose from and about the period would be great.  I've mostly just read history books and Homage to Catalonia (and thousands of internet anarchists takes on the Spanish Revolution and Civil War).  I would have to imagine there's TONS of great poetry about the period, though.  Also when you say, "I'm not as interested in the political ideologies as I am in the desire to fight for them," though I am certainly interested in the ideologies I definitely feel you on this.  It's a feeling in the gut, sort of.

Also I'd be super stoked to learn those military terms.

I'm a little confused. My name's Crystal, in case you thought I was someone else.

But yes. A lot of it's out of print though. Cries from a Wounded Madrid is the best compilation I've read and Miguel Hernández' collection is excellent as well.

I also tried turning Bombing Casualties: Spain into a song for that February album challenge. It sucked.

What history books should I read?

Oh, and:
los combatientes--combatants
los milicianos--militiamen
pólvora--gunpowder
fusiles--rifles
etc.

only good for violent uprisings
girl

« Reply #372 on: Jun 28, 2007, 01:44:40 AM »

"third man" was underwhelming, unfortunately

Boo!

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #373 on: Jun 28, 2007, 01:45:53 AM »

seriously, i think if i'd gone in knowing nothing about it, i'd have loved it.

girl

« Reply #374 on: Jun 28, 2007, 01:51:28 AM »

You should just keep watching it until you realize that you do, in fact, like it.  Also, I think you're missing the humor in the movie.  Also, I like the score.  Also, I have no real reason to feel protective of this movie, so I don't even know why I'm arguing.  Boredom, I think.  Sorry, Andrew.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Multiple Cinegasms
Jump to: