Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:44:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658107 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Multiple Cinegasms  (Read 32361 times)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #300 on: Jun 22, 2007, 06:08:40 PM »

also, i didn't know there was a movie of "mildred pierce".

Joan Crawford won an Oscar for it in 1946--I'm not sure what the other noir aficionados here think, but I'd rank it as good but distinctly not great.

Also--as just crossed my mind as I went to make breakfast--the film is really closer to melodrama than noir, if one is all rigid about categories and such.

probably gets thrown into noir because cain ("double indemnity", "postman always rings twice") wrote it.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #301 on: Jun 22, 2007, 06:35:50 PM »

I picked up The Fallen Idol from the library the other day, and now whenever I'm at a loss for words I just look around kind of flustered and call out "Baines!"

But yeah, it's the same Writer/director as Third Man. It's no "he'll put you in a tither with his zither!" but it's pretty good despite the annoying kid.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
elpollodiablo

« Reply #302 on: Jun 22, 2007, 07:57:21 PM »

Maybe this has already been discussed, but does anyone else find this A Mighty Heart flick a little revolting/totally offensive? Is it really necessary to put Angelina Jolie in this movie? In blackface, no less? I'm all for gender/racial-blind casting, but kinking up her hair and darkening her skin just doesn't sit very well with me.

think 'on the road.'
Wally

« Reply #303 on: Jun 22, 2007, 08:00:41 PM »

I've not seen nor heard much about the film, but Michael Winterbottom has directed it and frankly he's one of the few mainstream directors any leftist can put any faith in.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #304 on: Jun 22, 2007, 08:28:17 PM »

That's not really the point, though.

think 'on the road.'
guavacris

« Reply #305 on: Jun 22, 2007, 11:21:13 PM »

I haven't seen that!  I'll see if it's on Netflix.  Thanks, dude!

Are you pretty into the Spanish Civil War too?  I wouldn't have guessed that.

I don't think it's on dvd, but here's something good.

Yeah, I'm sorta nuts for all the poetry and personal accounts of the period. All that hope/camaraderie/tragedy/naivete. I've a feeling you're really into the social revolutions, or no? I'm not as interested in the political ideologies as I am in the desire to fight for them. Also, the dichotomy between the actions of foreign governments and their citizens. My heart--there's so much to talk about!

It also means I know a bunch of military terms in Spanish that are no help in real life.
heather marie

« Reply #306 on: Jun 22, 2007, 11:23:10 PM »

Dude I've always been more of a Son Volt kind of guy just because I have always gotten that impression that Tweedy really is just that big of a cock though.

I made you that Wilco mix! You listened to it like, once. YOU JERK.
girl

« Reply #307 on: Jun 22, 2007, 11:39:04 PM »

Britannia Hospital was sort of all over the place.  When I mentioned If. . . , Whit asked about O Lucky Man, so I checked Netflix for availability, and this movie came up.  It's from 1982, and the plot is basically that The Queen is paying a visit to the titular hospital at the same time that the workers are on strike and one of the doctors is conducting odd experiments.  There's also a film crew there to document the anniversary celebration.  I guess it's mainly a commentary on British politics/society of the era; the vague knowledge I have about this comes from the music of the time, so I'm sure I'm missing quite a lot.  I don't know.  I'm happy to have seen it, but it's not an instant favorite.

this is a story and you're not in it
auto-da-fey

« Reply #308 on: Jun 22, 2007, 11:44:19 PM »

Yeah, that's part three of the trilogy, but it's a pretty loose "trilogy." That one is far and away the least of the bunch. What did you think of If . . . , though? I don't recall you saying.

I checked out The Blue Dahlia on VHS. But I'm not sure if I'll watch it tonight, because I also found a bootleg of the legendary psychedelic giallo Death Laid an Egg. Tough decision.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2007, 11:49:05 PM by auto-da-fey » Logged
girl

« Reply #309 on: Jun 22, 2007, 11:50:58 PM »

If. . . is one of those iconic movies that I've heard about for my whole life, but never had the chance to see.  Like all things with that much buildup, it can't help but being a bit of a letdown in reality.  The famous end (shooting up the school) wasn't at all how I expected it to be.  I still have it at home, because I want to watch it some more after I've had a chance to think about it a bit, so this is just an initial impression.  I absolutely loved the way scenes went from color to black and white for no reason.  I'll have to get back to you on this one, though.

girl

« Reply #310 on: Jun 23, 2007, 01:17:18 AM »

Has anyone had a chance to see You Kill Me yet?  It's not playing here, and until I heard a bit about it on NPR, it was completely under my radar, but it sounds terrific. 

jebreject

« Reply #311 on: Jun 23, 2007, 05:11:53 AM »

I haven't seen that!  I'll see if it's on Netflix.  Thanks, dude!

Are you pretty into the Spanish Civil War too?  I wouldn't have guessed that.

I don't think it's on dvd, but here's something good.

Yeah, I'm sorta nuts for all the poetry and personal accounts of the period. All that hope/camaraderie/tragedy/naivete. I've a feeling you're really into the social revolutions, or no? I'm not as interested in the political ideologies as I am in the desire to fight for them. Also, the dichotomy between the actions of foreign governments and their citizens. My heart--there's so much to talk about!

It also means I know a bunch of military terms in Spanish that are no help in real life.

Mils, any list of poetry & prose from and about the period would be great.  I've mostly just read history books and Homage to Catalonia (and thousands of internet anarchists takes on the Spanish Revolution and Civil War).  I would have to imagine there's TONS of great poetry about the period, though.  Also when you say, "I'm not as interested in the political ideologies as I am in the desire to fight for them," though I am certainly interested in the ideologies I definitely feel you on this.  It's a feeling in the gut, sort of.

Also I'd be super stoked to learn those military terms.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #312 on: Jun 23, 2007, 05:29:53 AM »

Has anyone had a chance to see You Kill Me yet?  It's not playing here, and until I heard a bit about it on NPR, it was completely under my radar, but it sounds terrific. 

Really? John Dahl sort of lost his mojo, as I see it. Dude was the neo-noir king of the early 90s, but then he sort of fizzled. This one got a scathing review in the L.A. Weekly (and thus, I assume now that they've all been consolidated, the whole line of VV-turned-New-Times alternative weeklies).
auto-da-fey

« Reply #313 on: Jun 23, 2007, 05:34:46 AM »

Death Laid an Egg was . . . hard to describe in a tossed-off 150-word post. It was like some bizarre mix of Bunuel, Godard, and a hack horror director, with corporate intrigue, a chicken farm with mutants, numerous affairs and betrayals, a few murders, and one of the most impenetrable conclusions ever. This is the gutter equivalent of what Chris said about If . . ., I'm not sure how to process it yet.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #314 on: Jun 23, 2007, 07:20:46 AM »

No takers on the blacked-up Jolie outrage?

There seriously weren't any talented multiracial actresses available for this part; they hadda dye her skin?

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #315 on: Jun 23, 2007, 08:25:14 AM »

A conflicted hit man movie with Tea Leoni? Kingsley should've done Cleaver, instead.

think 'on the road.'
hannah

« Reply #316 on: Jun 23, 2007, 08:47:53 AM »

I think the general spin is that w/o Jolie the movie wouldn't've been made.

Jim Emerson of the the Chicago Sun-Times is a total condescending dick in this conversation on the blog he keeps, but as he says in a response to a reader's comment: "I'm saying I think it's wrong to turn Angelina Jolie's casting in this part into a contest about who's more mixed race. Not that there aren't plenty of talented mixed-race actresses. But this is a movie she and her personal and professional partner were instrumental in getting made. You think she's ill-suited for the part. I see no reason to make that assumption. But then, I give her some credit for helping get the movie made in the first place."

My feeling is that, as with The Good Shepherd, I'll be so distracted by Jolie and the necessary primping --yes, black-face included -- that is trying to hide her, the movie will cease to exist otherwise.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #317 on: Jun 23, 2007, 09:25:27 AM »

I'm not with you there--I thought The Good Shepherd was one of the best films I saw last year, despite the fact that I had to intentionally ignore Jolie whenever she was on screen.

And w/r/t A Mighty Heart: I understand she was instrumental in getting it made, but that doesn't mean that she had to play the lead role. She could have produced, probably could have even tried her hand at directing, and played a little supporting role to boot. But she didn't do that. Instead she blacks up and kinks her hair. I'm not interested in arguing over racial pedigrees or anything so ridiculous, but a prominent white actress in blackface for a major Hollywood production... that's just fucked up any way you slice it. I mean, why do you think white guys don't play Othello in blackface anymore?

And while this isn't about her abilities as an actress, I'd just like to mention that I think she's really awful

think 'on the road.'
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #318 on: Jun 23, 2007, 10:16:52 AM »

wow, maybe you shouldn't go see the movie pollo

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
elpollodiablo

« Reply #319 on: Jun 23, 2007, 10:40:28 AM »

Maybe you should suck a fart out of my asshole, pat

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #320 on: Jun 23, 2007, 11:27:55 AM »

No takers on the blacked-up Jolie outrage?

There seriously weren't any talented multiracial actresses available for this part; they hadda dye her skin?

well, her ancestry is pretty complex, according to wikipedia (dutch/african/latino/cuban/chinese), and also, from what i read, the movie is pretty much only getting made because angelina jolie wants to make it. so i think it's understandable under the circumstances. i personally don't really give a shit, and i don't think it's something worth being outraged over.

but for the record, oliver lloyd douglas agrees with you.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
nonotyet

« Reply #321 on: Jun 23, 2007, 01:46:31 PM »

Eddie Izzard: Circle
Quote from: Eddie Izzard
[about the Crusades] But they went down to get the Muslims out, the Islamic people out of Jerusalem, I believe it was that. And they were hacking into them 'I kill you! I kill you in the name of Jesus.' But the Muslim people 'No! Jesus is a prophet in our religion. We kill you in the name of Jesus.' 'Do you? I didn't know that. Jesus in your, oh right! Well I kill you for your dark skin, for Jesus was a white man from Oxford." 'No he wasn't! He bloody was not! He was from Judea, dark-skinned man, such as we.' 'Really? Look, we've come all this way, would you mind awfully if we hacked you to pieces? Just for the press back home."

Also, it is unsettling that I find Izzard kind of attractive when he is not dressed up like a girl. 
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #322 on: Jun 23, 2007, 03:32:22 PM »

I find it disturbing, but mostly because not only does my wife say the same thing, she says he reminds her of me!  Shocked

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
nonotyet

« Reply #323 on: Jun 23, 2007, 08:59:32 PM »

Well, I just learned tonight (there was an extra uncut performance on the DVD entirely in French, as it was performed in Paris) that Eddie Izzard is not actually gay. He is just a transvestite, which he also said the word for in French directly translates to "travesty." And while I was always aware that transvestites were not always gay, I always thought he was and I never connected the two when I watched him before. Fuck it; he is foxy as hell.
girl

« Reply #324 on: Jun 24, 2007, 01:42:32 AM »

I sometimes also have a minor thing for Eddie Izzard, but not when he looks prettier than me.

Ratatouille is pretty cute.  This isn't the best copy, since what I like best about Pixar is all of the beautiful detail they capture, but I wouldn't have seen it in the cinema anyhow, and I'll watch it again when the dvd comes out. 

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Multiple Cinegasms
Jump to: