Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:10:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657772 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Hatton vs Castillo  (Read 2390 times)
Good Intentions

« Reply #25 on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:10:25 AM »

He couldn't get away from the action either.
coldforge

« Reply #26 on: Jun 26, 2007, 12:30:13 AM »

Calzaghe's not much of a knockout artist, but in fairness, it's not because he's lazy. The man is the opposite of a clinch, writ in flesh.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Good Intentions

« Reply #27 on: Jun 26, 2007, 03:31:03 AM »

You've got a point. I'm thinking particularly of the Jeff Lacy fight, where Lacy wanted nothing more than to go home and get his self-respect back, but Calzaghe didn't have the whatever it was he lacked to put Lacy on the canvas, despite dominating in every way. When I watched the old Calzaghe-Eubank fight it was the same thing. He did drop that guy from Contender, but really now.

The clinching in the Hatton-Castillo fight was the only part I didn't like. Those were much livelier clinches than you normally get, but still, hook and hold, not quite what the sport is meant to be.
coldforge

« Reply #28 on: Jun 26, 2007, 09:19:53 AM »

I was thinking of the Lacy fight too, actually. And it's true that he didn't drop him. But it's also true that he dominated from literally the first second, so I suppose even while Lacy was rather bamboozled he also had a full fight's worth of stamina to stand there and get hit. In conclusion: Jeff Lacy is a sucker, and Joe Calzaghe's from Wales. QED.

l'era del terzo mondo.
KJ

« Reply #29 on: Aug 01, 2007, 02:20:30 PM »

Hatton-Mayweather has been signed.

KJ brings 'em homicide.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #30 on: Aug 01, 2007, 07:25:04 PM »

Any of you boxing fans ever listened to the greatest boxing-themed album ever, Ghosts of the Great Highway by Sun Kil Moon? It's one of my all-time favorites, and one of my all-time favorite songs, the 14-minute epic "Duk Koo Kim," is apparently named after a boxer.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
another max

« Reply #31 on: Aug 01, 2007, 07:28:16 PM »

does anyone here box themselves?  is that a thing we can talk about?

on the off-chance: I have lately been burning out a little on the heavy bag.  Any recommendations to mess with a regular round-length combination routine?  Please nobody google for me, I've read that stuff -- I'd rather hear what works for you individually.
ellaguru

« Reply #32 on: Aug 01, 2007, 07:58:57 PM »

I still have no idea why anyone would enjoy a sport where 2 people enter a ring and try to inflict brain damage on one another. Whatevs.

I know this is gonna sound like I'm being facetious, but in all honesty, I have no idea why anyone would enjoy watching sports that DON'T involve two people entering a ring and trying to inflict brain damage on each other.

I don't really follow any sports, but boxing's the only one that, when I see it in passing on a TV somewhere, I actually stop and get a bit drawn into.

I think boxing comes pretty close to the essence of what sport is all about - closer than anything else I can think of. That being said, I don't really have much interest at all in watching (or doing) sports. I say that as a(n ex-) professional competitive sports coach. If you count gymnastics as a sport. Which I don't think I do.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Good Intentions

« Reply #33 on: Aug 02, 2007, 06:17:00 AM »

does anyone here box themselves?  is that a thing we can talk about?

on the off-chance: I have lately been burning out a little on the heavy bag.  Any recommendations to mess with a regular round-length combination routine?  Please nobody google for me, I've read that stuff -- I'd rather hear what works for you individually.
When I still did boxing workouts, and I'm itching to start again, I'd alternate doing round lengths on the speed bag with ones on the heavy bag, always the speed work first. The speed bag was just the regular tattoo - left, left backhand, right, right backhand. Sometimes, especially at the start of routines, I get fancy and do different combinations and try to go fast - left, left, left, right, right, right - but that normally drops out after I get a bit tired.

For the heavy bag, I always start off with a good series of left jabs. The first two are always just 'painting' jabs, but thereafter I try my best not to throw them again. Then two proper jolting jabs. Then a pair of straight left-rights, and then I get into the serious work a few left hooks to the body, then a couple high, straight left-right, left + left hook low + right hook high a few times, then left hook + right overarm, then left-right combinations and I spend the rest of the round hitting the bag at will as I see fit at the time.

This was to fit my own kinks - I like the right overhand, since I'm taller than most, and I always felt that my left hand wasn't strong enough.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #34 on: Aug 03, 2007, 07:02:21 PM »

Any of you boxing fans ever listened to the greatest boxing-themed album ever, Ghosts of the Great Highway by Sun Kil Moon? It's one of my all-time favorites, and one of my all-time favorite songs, the 14-minute epic "Duk Koo Kim," is apparently named after a boxer.

i'm pretty sure it's just the song "duk koo kim" that actually relates to boxing, but it's hard to figure out what kozelek is singing about on some of the other songs, so who knows? i love this album, is what i'm saying. but i don't like boxing, i'm just in this thread because i read everything posted on lptj.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Hatton vs Castillo
Jump to: