Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 24, 2014, 03:08:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658214 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 55 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: new piece up: naming the unnameable  (Read 14593 times)
Ah_Pook

« Reply #25 on: Jun 26, 2007, 07:27:44 PM »

aw man, Into Eternity fucking kills! Buried In Oblivion is like top 20 metal album material.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
John
edit0r

« Reply #26 on: Jun 26, 2007, 07:28:24 PM »

the day Into Eternity make a better album than Wages of Sin is a day in the distant nonexistent future
Robert

« Reply #27 on: Jun 26, 2007, 07:29:29 PM »

Damn, y'all are saying some good stuff in this thread, and I sure do like reading it.  I may even contribute some actual, you know, thoughts, to it at some point, but first I will say that, in terms of female vocals in metal, I am a fan of Midnattsol, Lumsk and Battlelore. 

Here is the thing about Lumsk...Their singer is incredible, but they get further away from metal with each release.  Which is not to say that all 3 Lumsk records are not good, because I think they are, it's just that their first album, Ňsmund Frśgdegjevar is so very very good.

I'm a big fan of all metal, and I was kind of thinking along the lines that have already been drawn in this thread just last night when I was listening to the first Galloglass record and kind of thinking about Power Metal (and prog-metal) which is, yes, ridiculous, but I'll be damned if I'm not a total sucker for it.  There are times when I'd much rather listen to Symphony X than Wold. I'd like to try to come off all cool and pretend not to "get" ironic appreciation of things, but I know as well as anyone reading this that that position would ring untrue, and if Watain sell a few more records because the dude from Pitchfork talked 'em up, then the genre as a whole benefits, I would assume.  Ironic appreciation of something you truly appreciate doesn't dilute the object of that appreciation.  Not that I think anyone's making that claim, really, it's just that I have been at work for a looooong time and I'm not sure what the hell I'm talking about. 

« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2007, 07:33:12 PM by Robert » Logged

Damn.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #28 on: Jun 26, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »

the day Into Eternity make a better album than Wages of Sin is a day in the distant nonexistent future

more like it was February 10, 2004

ban John

banfight!

John
edit0r

« Reply #29 on: Jun 26, 2007, 07:41:18 PM »

I'm gonna give Pook and cf mod privileges so we can all ban each other

anybody who complains about the new mods will be banned

coldforge

« Reply #30 on: Jun 26, 2007, 07:54:49 PM »

first i would ban my co-mods. then i would ban everybody else. then i would stalk around the forums, pretending to be everyone else and saying stupid shit about indie rock in a dumb voice.

OPS PLZ

Ť l'era del terzo mondo.
John
edit0r

« Reply #31 on: Jun 26, 2007, 08:36:35 PM »

I gave you mod privs but stripped you of them immediately before you even knew you were a mod, it was some ninja shit for real

I am drunk with power
DanielBurns11

« Reply #32 on: Jun 26, 2007, 09:08:57 PM »

Into Eternity is the only Metal band with clean vocals that I've been able to tolerate, ever. My experience of listening to Metal with clean vocals, and Into Eternity is pretty limited, but still.

I've never really thought about why I've never liked clean vocals in Metal, but you guys have made some real accurate statements on why I've never liked them.

And Arch Enemy fucking kills!
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2009, 07:08:53 PM by DanielBurns11 » Logged

G.C.R

« Reply #33 on: Jun 26, 2007, 09:39:57 PM »

John, I rarely feel compelled to listen to the bands that you write about, but yeah, what you write often makes me think pretty hard about why I like the stuff I do, hell even about why I like music and its place in my life. And CF's posts too, even though if I met you I'm pretty sure we'd be at each others throats... but it does make me think about other people's ways of liking things and reasons for liking things too.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Ah_Pook

« Reply #34 on: Jun 26, 2007, 09:47:56 PM »

this is only tangentially related to this thread, but this quote from a review of some new Tiamat anthology made me laugh

Tiamat can rightly be said to have three distinct phases to their career: the promising young death metal ensemble that was really kinda old school black metal in today's sense, but no one was splitting hairs quite that closely at the time; the band that fulfilled that promise by flippantly disregarding everything that got them to the top in the first place, instead pioneering a psychotropic fantasy-based goth / prog hybrid featuring cleaner vocals and frequently more keyboards than guitars; and the latter day minstrel show version of Tiamat, helmed by sole survivor Johan Edlund, who has disappeared up his own recalcitrant ass so fast the influx of rushing air created a long standing vacuum in quality goth / prog acts, one which few bands have been all that eager to fill.

jebreject

« Reply #35 on: Jun 27, 2007, 12:06:16 AM »

Re: Tiamat, I rather dig Wildhoney and A Deeper Kind of Slumber, the latter of which I'm sure is the beginning of the so-called "minstrel show version."  I don't think I ever even heard any of the records after that one though.  I used to have The Astral Sleep and Clouds around somewhere as well, but I never liked them as much as those other two
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2007, 12:08:52 AM by jebreject » Logged

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jebreject

« Reply #36 on: Jun 27, 2007, 12:10:22 AM »

Also do lots of ppl hate on Amorphis?  I always thought they were pretty much awesome

KJ

« Reply #37 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:59:40 AM »

I wouldnít want to call myself a metal tourist but perhaps I am. For the last year I havenít had a computer of my own and as a result my metal listening has dropped off to near-nil (it may just be a phase though! A change of wind, a pile of money- I could be right back in the pool).

Personally I tick all the boxes youíve been putting next to the indie-crowd about what I like- definite lean towards to more inhuman, distorted, alien etc. The attraction of metal for me is its functionality- the fact it inspires a physical response in a alike-but-different way to the various offshoots of house/garage music (promoting full-body shaking/head-banging rather than bump-and-wiggle) or, especially, reggae (reggae being my very favourite music to go out and dance to, but I listen to practically nada at home). Clean vocals tend to get in the way of that for me, it distracts from the textural and rhythmic things which Iím most interested in. You might compare it to the hardest-of-hardcore house, which some people love to death but Iíve always found way to rough and monotone to be exciting. Conversely metal with too much smoothness feels less interesting to me- an element that irritated me more and more about the Opeth Iíve listened to.

I donít think itís a scene thing, because I was introduced to metal by metalers long before pitchfork got on board, itís just a question of looking for different things. Metal is in the same sort of area as Dance in my tastes, a form of music where whatever human element I identify with is most satisfying in a crowded room with lots of drunk punters and less when walking round in the daylight. Perhaps this isnít part of the pitchfork crowdís reason for getting into metal, but Iíd point out that the major change in PF over the last few years has been a marked move towards more rhythmic, bass and snare coverage and metal might just occupy the next space along this trend.

KJ brings 'em homicide.
KJ

« Reply #38 on: Jun 27, 2007, 09:02:08 AM »

Cleanly sung chorus in hip-hop annoy me in much the same way that clean vocals in metal do. I say this cause right now I'm listening to Restless by Trae and there's a warbler warbling away on, like, every other track's chorus.

KJ brings 'em homicide.
alistarr*

« Reply #39 on: Jun 27, 2007, 09:13:50 AM »

for me i'm putting it down to one of two things:

1. melodies get in the way of the metal, and clean singers use more melodies

2. it's easier to make out lyrics in clean vocals, and a lot of metal lyrics are pretty terrible

however there are exceptions to the rule that cleanliness is next to suckiness. you just have to be good for it to work - whereas bad growling vocals are at worst ignorable, bad clean vocals are at worst entirely ruinous to a song.
jebreject

« Reply #40 on: Jun 27, 2007, 09:36:22 AM »

melodies get in the way of the metal

this is utterly absurd

alistarr*

« Reply #41 on: Jun 27, 2007, 09:42:13 AM »

maybe i mean a certain kind of melody, but i stand by the sentiment if not the wording.

you have to realise i am not well skilled at explaining myself.
cosimo

« Reply #42 on: Jun 28, 2007, 02:38:20 AM »

the thing is with liking stuff that isn't cool - as was discussed earlier - is that some people think it's cool for people to like stuff that isn't cool, so it's kinda moot in a way. Liking something that is patently not cool could be perceived (just perceived is all i'm saying) as being an attempt at picking off a little snippet of coolness, even a more "enlightened" coolness, the coolness that transcends cool, if you know what i mean...ok i'll shut up now 

jebreject

« Reply #43 on: Jun 28, 2007, 03:08:19 AM »

that's why i listen exclusively to nsbm

jebreject

« Reply #44 on: Jun 28, 2007, 03:09:57 AM »

or is that bdsm?  always get those confused

alistarr*

« Reply #45 on: Jun 28, 2007, 04:04:41 AM »

to the voyeurism thread!
Illest Waffle

« Reply #46 on: Jul 01, 2007, 08:51:17 AM »

so what's that about

Indie : Tearing Up :: Metal : Weeping Like a Bitch

I can look at the indie abyss and be like "I'm ok with tearing up, lets talk about it."

With metal on the other hand the distance is needed so one does not curl up in a fetal position and start spilling their guts like a sobbing teenager after his/her first break-up.
coldforge

« Reply #47 on: Jul 01, 2007, 09:21:18 AM »

Good call, man. Glad you're here.

Ť l'era del terzo mondo.
jebreject

« Reply #48 on: Jul 01, 2007, 10:32:27 AM »

that is especially nonsensical, even for the waff

Illest Waffle

« Reply #49 on: Jul 01, 2007, 11:44:01 AM »

that is especially nonsensical, even for the waff

Fuck you, bitch. That was mad deep. I returned from the far east with newer, doper insights into the mind. Fuck, I even discovered the 37th chamber. Top that, asshole.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: new piece up: naming the unnameable
Jump to: