Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:24:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657808 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 73 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Toronto! New York! Boston!  (Read 3912 times)
SPACERACE

« Reply #25 on: Aug 04, 2007, 02:34:48 PM »

hm, i get out of work tomorrow at around 7, and i work on summer st, at the BCEC. i don't know your e-mail, grace, but i'd like to hang out if you're around.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
Gracelette

« Reply #26 on: Aug 06, 2007, 08:53:45 AM »

Hey Mike - unfortunately, I didn't see this until *after* I'd spent Saturday walking all the way to High Park from Spadina Avenue and back again... so bed before midnight for me on Saturday night but thank you for the offer. I have indeed been pretty happy about the weather and even this grey skies thing today is pretty nice after months of Bolognese heatwave. Off to Montreal today - very excited about that too.  Smile
milesofsparks

« Reply #27 on: Aug 09, 2007, 11:34:39 PM »

yo NYC, I'm back from the road trip, so let me know if any plans are afoot...

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
Greg Nog

« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2007, 02:33:03 PM »

Psst.  Barcade happy hour tonight.  Six o'clock.  Come one, come all, come you various lurkers.  Come drink beer, you huddled masses yearning to be free.
El_Josharino

« Reply #29 on: Sep 22, 2007, 06:02:15 PM »

Threadjack. Hey New Yorkers, a dear friend of Augo and myself is trying to move to New York to go to some audio engineering school there (I forget what it's called). He wants to move in mid to late October sometime, but he needs a place to live, and time is winding down. The schooling he's taking only lasts between 9 months and a year, so that's all the longer he needs a place for sure. He's been looking for stuff online, and apparently hasn't had a lot of luck. He found a few good leads on craigslist, I think, but they all got snatched up pretty quick. He hasn't really mentioned a price range, but I'm sure the lower the better, and I forget what area the school is in too. So based on my crappy information, do any of you fine folks have any suggestions I might be able to pass along?

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
SPACERACE

« Reply #30 on: Sep 22, 2007, 06:03:19 PM »

the school is sae

that's all i got.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
El_Josharino

« Reply #31 on: Sep 22, 2007, 06:08:08 PM »

Yes, that is it. And google tells me that this is in Manhattan, which is probably helpful somehow.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
milesofsparks

« Reply #32 on: Sep 22, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »

things getting snatched up instantly is kind of standard operating procedure here.  you just gotta start looking when you're ready to take something and contact people right away and be insistent.  price range is kinda key, too.  and you will definitely pay more than you want to, but it gives you an idea what neighborhoods/roommate situations are in the range of possibility.  the last time I looked for an apartment was pre-internet, and involved going to the newsstand outside the villiage voice that got the paper first around midnight the night before it came out, grabbing one, heading to the nearest payphone (pre cell-phones!) and just starting to call.  also, I'd say a sublet is the best bet for that short a time.

also, if the school has *any* kind of listings or anything, he should take full advantage. 

may the new york real estate gods smile upon him.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #33 on: Sep 24, 2007, 11:45:44 AM »

so in new york, people expect you to call them at midnight to inquire about apartment availability?

new york is CRAZY.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #34 on: Oct 17, 2007, 11:55:17 AM »

hey- it looks like I'll be down in NYC the next few days.
any food suggestions? 
best place to buy carrots?

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
hannah

« Reply #35 on: Oct 17, 2007, 12:00:55 PM »

http://unionsquarejournal.com/greenmarket.htm
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #36 on: Oct 17, 2007, 12:43:04 PM »

Also, apple turnovers and very big cookies.

sounds good! thanks

Greg Nog

« Reply #37 on: Oct 17, 2007, 12:47:34 PM »

Oh man, there's a winery that sets up shop there that has this wonderful dandelion wine.

Are you looking for anything else specifically, food-wise?
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #38 on: Oct 17, 2007, 01:19:25 PM »

nothing too specific (aside from carrots), lunch and food that's a step up from, say, 7-11.  Smile
I'll be wandering around a fair bit, I need some good solid food.

*how about a place for some fresh breads?
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007, 01:35:08 PM by Trousers and Pat » Logged

hannah

« Reply #39 on: Oct 17, 2007, 01:50:12 PM »

http://www.murrayscheese.com/
http://www.russanddaughters.com/

Assorted good food at those two places.

You should get bread from Don's in Hoboken and then go to Fiore's for mozzarella. Actually, Fiore's stocks Don's bread. Otherwise, Hoboken is lame. But I'm serious about the bread and the mozzarella.
milesofsparks

« Reply #40 on: Oct 17, 2007, 11:14:30 PM »

what neighborhoods are you going to be hanging in?  I know many good bread places...  including Sullivan St. Bakery, Amy's, H&H for bagels, Vesuvio Bakery, etc. etc.  the Union Square farmer's market has some decent bread, too, as do places like Zabar's and Eli's.  also, if you want pastries that's a whole different game.  or if you're willing to go on a serious trek. 

also, I second Hannah's suggestions.  and if you want good coffee, I can help you there, too. 

lastclearchance

« Reply #41 on: Oct 26, 2007, 05:18:55 PM »

You should get bread from Don's in Hoboken and then go to Fiore's for mozzarella. Actually, Fiore's stocks Don's bread. Otherwise, Hoboken is lame. But I'm serious about the bread and the mozzarella.

Any idea how late they're open?

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
hannah

« Reply #42 on: Oct 26, 2007, 05:51:13 PM »

I imagine no later than 6pm, if you're going to a show at Maxwell's. Also, it's about seven blocks west of Washington Street. You can give Fiore's a ring at (201) 659-1655.

The bread place is actually Dom's, not Don's -- the other bread place in Hoboken is Marie's, and I think I had some "Donny and Marie" thing in my head. Their number is (201) 653-1948.

The Onion: What's so great about Hoboken?

Ira Kaplan: [Laughs.] The mozzarella cheese, Italian bread, Maxwell's. Not much else.

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/22884
lastclearchance

« Reply #43 on: Oct 26, 2007, 05:59:07 PM »

I imagine no later than 6pm, if you're going to a show at Maxwell's.

Haha your thought process is entirely correct. "What would he be doing in Hoboken in the evening that doesn't involve bread and mozzarella?"

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
hannah

« Reply #44 on: Oct 26, 2007, 06:05:28 PM »

Are you going to take the bus from Port Authority or the PATH train?

Elysian Cafe at 1001 Washington is a pretty good restaurant, but on a Friday night it could very well be yuppie central. Bombay West is decent, 832 Washington.

If you do make it to Fiore's, I recommend the mozzarella and sundried tomato sandwich (you give them a loaf from the shelf and they make it in front of you, sans gloves). They have a lot of other stuff, too, of course, but that one is so simple and delicious.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Toronto! New York! Boston!
Jump to: