Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:02:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658016 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 56 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Recommendations thread  (Read 3835 times)
YojimboMonkey

« on: Jul 03, 2007, 01:37:18 PM »

I don't know if this is a good idea for a thread or not.  The basic concept is that you post something you really like and people hit you with some RIYLs for it. 

So I feel like I can't listen to the Stooges' song Search and Destroy enough times.  I could listen to it over and over and over again but I fear that I would make myself sick of it.  That raw adrenaline-fueled RAWK, I need more.  So I'd like some recommendations for songs (or artists or albums or whatever) that have a similar feel that I can use to feed my rock jones without overplaying S&D. 

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
nonotyet

« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2007, 01:47:14 PM »

The Futureheads!

Quit laughing, they are not exactly punk but they are really energetic and have been compared to Wire and such and they have lovely thick accents. If the Futureheads was a dog I think that they would be a Chihuahua, but one without accessories, and one that could possibly kill you. 
http://www.thefutureheads.co.uk/
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2007, 01:53:04 PM »

I won't laugh as I'm not familiar with the band and I really am eager for recommendations.  I'll check them out, thanks!  Please hit me with some more recs though people, or feel free to hijack the thread and fish for some recommendations of your own!

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
sashwap

« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2007, 02:32:49 PM »

i recommend the capstan shafts. think early guided by voices at their poppiest, but with a healthy does of mountain goats in that every song is carefully considered (no GBV-esque 'toss-offs'), the lyrics are great, and every album is conceived as a unit, with lyrical and sometimes melodic themes creating a cohesive whole. like both those bands, he is absurdly prolific. most of his songs are under 2 minutes long.

the band is just one guy, vermont resident dean wells, and his output and means of self-promotion is pretty jandek-esque. he's never played a show, and just sends albums and EPs to seemingly any radio station/blog/music review site he can find. last month he released three EPs for free on archive.org, and each one is stellar. unlike jandek, he'll respond to emails and offer to send you stuff for free.

i discovered the shafts randomly a few months ago and they've already rocketed to my number two on last.fm, and will probably hit number 1 very soon. this guy's catalog is epic, very deep and very rewarding. it's actually amazing that most of his stuff is out on a variety of CD-R labels.

fan myspace with semi-official status: http://www.myspace.com/capstanshafts

asaurus.org -- buy one of my favorite albums of 2007, her vs. the sad cold eventually, for only $5! do it!
girl

« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »

We had a little McLusky love fest a little while ago, but I can't find it.  Anyhow, they come to mind. 
To Hell With Good Intentions
Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues

this is a story and you're not in it
jebreject

« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2007, 02:41:19 PM »

So I feel like I can't listen to the Stooges' song Search and Destroy enough times.  I could listen to it over and over and over again but I fear that I would make myself sick of it.  That raw adrenaline-fueled RAWK, I need more.  So I'd like some recommendations for songs (or artists or albums or whatever) that have a similar feel that I can use to feed my rock jones without overplaying S&D. 

MC5?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
ellaguru

« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2007, 03:07:47 PM »

Hey, sashwap, thanks for the the Archive.org pointer. I liked that Capstan Shaft "Lauren Behold" song that was YSI'd a while back (probably by you, although I can't remember). I'm downloading one of the EPs right now.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2007, 04:19:30 PM »

hey jim, you should check out the dwarves, at least if you're down with the idea of "search and destroy" mixed with fast, energetic punk and some really intense sex/violence lyrical imagery. these guys are NOT pc, so i'll warn you of that. but uh, if you think you can handle that sort of thing, then check out their cds "free cocaine" and "blood guts and pussy". uh, yeah.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2007, 04:31:42 PM »

That sounds exactly right, I mean Iggy ain't exactly PC either though of course S&D isn't terribly vulgar.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2007, 04:37:14 PM »

Just read the AMG review of Blood Guts and Pussy and I can report that I am definitely buying that motherfucker as soon as I can find it.

Ah_Pook

« Reply #10 on: Jul 03, 2007, 06:09:39 PM »

if you havent heard the birthday party get right on that yojimbo

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
sashwap

« Reply #11 on: Jul 03, 2007, 08:57:17 PM »

Hey, sashwap, thanks for the the Archive.org pointer. I liked that Capstan Shaft "Lauren Behold" song that was YSI'd a while back (probably by you, although I can't remember). I'm downloading one of the EPs right now.

yeah, that was me Smile

hope you like it.

his other free EP is here: http://www.beattheindiedrum.com/releases/cshaftsep.htm *highly recommended*
joseph scott

« Reply #12 on: Jul 03, 2007, 11:48:45 PM »

The Futureheads!

Quit laughing, they are not exactly punk but they are really energetic and have been compared to Wire and such and they have lovely thick accents. If the Futureheads was a dog I think that they would be a Chihuahua, but one without accessories, and one that could possibly kill you. 

For the record - stick to the first album (which I believe is self-titled). The second was is okay but pretty limp overall.

On Reflection

« Reply #13 on: Jul 04, 2007, 08:36:11 AM »

The Futureheads!

For the record - stick to the first album (which I believe is self-titled). The second was is okay but pretty limp overall.

Sir, I respectfully disagree.

nonotyet

« Reply #14 on: Jul 04, 2007, 11:20:33 AM »

IAWTDisagreement
justinh

« Reply #15 on: Jul 04, 2007, 11:50:08 AM »

Go listen to the Dead Boys' "Sonic Reducer", if you haven't already. 
monkeypants

« Reply #16 on: Jul 04, 2007, 12:01:05 PM »

For some reason The Fluid was the first thing that sprang to mind when I read this thread.  And while their "Glue/Roadmouth" CD (combining an EP and a full-legnth) appears to be out of print, it is readily available used on Amazon for cheap and I think it fits the bill.

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
heather marie

« Reply #17 on: Jul 04, 2007, 01:59:11 PM »

The Exploding Hearts, "Sleeping Aides and Razorblades"
Doctor Bob

« Reply #18 on: Jul 04, 2007, 02:45:43 PM »

Quote from: YojimboMonkey
RIYLs

Can't help you here, Jim, just curious to know what this stands for.  It's been driving me insane all day trying to work it out.

"_____ If You Like"?  ??

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
Nick Ink

« Reply #19 on: Jul 04, 2007, 02:50:48 PM »

the clue's in the thread title i feel, Bob ;-)

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Doctor Bob

« Reply #20 on: Jul 04, 2007, 04:36:03 PM »

That was my first thought, but 'people hit you with some Recommendations If You Like for it' didn't seem to scan as a sentence.  (Sorry Jim.)

If I was writing it I would have said 'people hit you with some IYLT,TT!' or maybe just 'people hit you with some recommendations.'

BWTFDIKAIA?

BTTDB.

alex

« Reply #21 on: Jul 04, 2007, 04:46:28 PM »

It's a variation thereof, I believe: "recommended if you like"

of course, if you write this out, it still doesn't scan as a sentence, but if you accept the acronym as a noun in its own right, then it does.
Doctor Bob

« Reply #22 on: Jul 04, 2007, 04:59:38 PM »

Quote from: alex
if you accept the acronym as a noun in its own right
I do not.  I have nothing against this particular acronym; it's a general rule.

Thanks for the clarification.  'Recommended' did not occur to me, oddly.

While I'm on the subject, YMMV is possibly the most ridiculous internet acronym I have yet come across.  I am thinking of making it my mission to eradicate it - and its users, if necessary - from the face of the earth.

YHBW, B.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2007, 05:01:42 PM by Doctor Bob » Logged

davy

« Reply #23 on: Jul 04, 2007, 07:28:52 PM »

IAWTDisagreement

IDWTD

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
diesel_powered

« Reply #24 on: Jul 05, 2007, 01:19:30 AM »

Gonna say.... the Hot Snakes and Rocket from the Crypt played at excessively high volumes. Y'know... if you're not already constantly playing them.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Recommendations thread
Jump to: