Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 18, 2014, 09:50:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658012 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: More Talk of Comics  (Read 32938 times)
bethany_m

« on: Jul 17, 2007, 07:17:39 PM »

Couldn't find the other comics thread, so I started a new one.

I've been sick lately and rereading all my comics (rereading From Hell while feverish and sleepy adds to the experience of the book, I think) and now I need other comics to read.  What are the other comics enthusiasts on the board reading and liking these days?

The lesson is that zombie-ism is a choice. So please, respect.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »

personally, i'm really ridiculously fascinated with everything going on in the marvel universe that has to do with post-civil war fallout. i feel like all this stuff about registration poses some really serious "freedom vs. security" questions that actually have bearing on the real world, not just some fake superhero world. and since so many creators are doing so much stuff with these concepts, i'm following a whole bunch of different titles very closely right now. additionally, i'm really interested in warren ellis's "black summer" and garth ennis's "streets of glory", both of which are from avatar, and only have a cheap preview issue available right now. i think these are both going to be pretty great graphic novels when they're all done. david lapham has a new graphic novel out from vertigo called "silverfish" which, i hear, is very similar to his series "stray bullets". he hasn't done a new issue of "stray bullets" in a couple years, so i'm excited to read something new by him in that vein (but i haven't gotten to it because i'm too busy reading harry potter right now). other than that, i'm also following brian wood's "dmz" series, jason aaron's "scalped", and warren ellis's "newuniversal". oh, and kirkman's "walking dead" and "invincible", of course--those are some consistently great comics. plus bendis's "powers" and "ultimate spider-man", and anything ed brubaker is doing right now--not just his superhero work for marvel, either. he's got a great crime series going right now called "criminal", and the first trade just came out recently, with a pretty amazing complete story called "coward". it's like "sin city" in that no major characters are in more than one story, but it's way less ridiculous than "sin city". reminds me of 70s crime/neo-noir films.

as you can imagine from that paragraph, i buy a whole lot of comics every month. my comic shop recently upgraded my discount to 20%, purely because i spend so much money. i can't decide if this is awesome or sad.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
old kentucky shark

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2007, 02:54:18 AM »

i don't know if this is the kind of comics this thread is for, but today's achewood is pretty perfect to my mind

you are seven dollars yes you are
RavingLunatic

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2007, 03:23:23 AM »

Brevity, Frazz, and Get Fuzzy are the 3 best newspaper comics there are. I love them all so much.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Greg Nog

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2007, 07:29:02 AM »

i don't know if this is the kind of comics this thread is for, but today's achewood is pretty perfect to my mind

The six hundo one or the prior strip?

I've been reading some of the old Alan Moore Swamp Things lately.
Aglaya

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2007, 11:54:35 AM »

It's very important that you mouse over after you read it.  That's the part that really makes it.

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
old kentucky shark

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2007, 11:58:44 AM »

i do got respect for a comic that uses the alt text

you are seven dollars yes you are
Aglaya

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2007, 12:29:32 PM »

You might love this comic then.  Often, the best part is delivered that way.

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
jebreject

« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2007, 12:44:46 PM »

humbug.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
girl

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2007, 04:01:45 PM »

Qwantz linked to 200 Bad Comics.  They're really funny.

this is a story and you're not in it
jebreject

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2007, 05:00:19 PM »

I slept with your wife.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
girl

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2007, 05:01:44 PM »

There are a few of them about eating 100 tacos that made me smile.

this is a story and you're not in it
Thermofusion

« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2007, 11:22:36 AM »

I've been buying the 100 Bullets TPBs on a friend's suggestion.  Pretty good stuff, although some of the arcs are kinda boring to me.  Also reading back issues of American Century, which seems to have been poorly received/reviewed but it's so ridiculous I find it entertaining. 

I used to be a big collector, but now I mostly buy cheap back issues from the 60s and 70s primarily for the ads.

One day I'll sell my 300th subscription to Grit magazine and I'll have you, sweet Ready Ranger Mobile Field Pack complete with Mobile Field Headquarters including Starfinder, Intruder Detector and Communications Power Pack.

triple paisley minimum
coldforge

« Reply #13 on: Jul 31, 2007, 11:28:29 AM »

some folks wanted my dad to do a movie version of 100 bullets for a while. dunno whatever became of that. i read the first couple issues but i found them boring. typical fantasy stuff for aggrieved teenagers.

l'era del terzo mondo.
DCDave

« Reply #14 on: Jul 31, 2007, 11:40:54 AM »

What.  Who's Coldforge's Dad?

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Greg Nog

« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2007, 11:41:51 AM »

Mr. Forge.
coldforge

« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2007, 11:43:56 AM »

Please! Mr. Forge is my DAD'S name.

l'era del terzo mondo.
another max

« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2007, 12:39:31 PM »

Babar

« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2007, 03:31:14 PM »

I have never re-read a book ever (maybe once). But I think I'll read Watchmen again some time this year. And yeah, the whole Hulk is MAAADD storyline that's going now is awesome.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2007, 03:32:26 PM »

Warren Ellis will be writing Astonishing X-men! 

I may start reading this again (X-men were my first love in comics.)

I should probably buy the stuff Joss Whedon has written anyway.  Maybe.

heard about this today and had this EXACT reaction. to the word.

but i also picked up the first issues of doktor sleepless and black summer (well, i already have the preview issue of that mag), and his new graphic novel, crecy, so i've got a good bit of warren ellis on hand right now, as it is. also still haven't read that new lapham graphic novel, "silverfish", for some stupid reason. i should get into that soon.

oh, and i bought the new snakepit book, "my life in a jugular vein". i've known ben snakepit for a really long time, so i tend to already know some of the characters and stories he tells in his comics (for those who don't know, snakepit consists of 3-panel comic strips that ben draws telling about what happened to him that day. he's been doing one a day since sometime in 2000), but it's always interesting to see how they come across in the strips. also, the narration and accompanying art is always good for a laugh.

Greg Nog

« Reply #20 on: Aug 04, 2007, 10:07:50 AM »

So I just found out yesterday that gawker.com has been running fake New Yorker cartoons for the last week or so.  I drew one yesterday, and sent it to them, but they don't seem interested in publishing it, I guess.

I can only assume that my comic was just a little too close to being an actual New Yorker cartoon.  So I think what I'll do is just go ahead and mail it in to the New Yorker, as they'll probably want to publish it.

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but ladies and gentlemen:

The greatest New Yorker cartoon of all time.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2007, 12:17:06 AM »

ok, i loved the warren ellis stuff i mentioned above so much that i did a blog entry about it. so there you go.

also, greg, that cartoon should not be as funny as it is. but it is as funny as it is. perhaps even funnier than that.

hannah

« Reply #22 on: Aug 05, 2007, 12:31:20 AM »

So I just found out yesterday that gawker.com has been running fake New Yorker cartoons for the last week or so.  I drew one yesterday, and sent it to them, but they don't seem interested in publishing it, I guess.

I can only assume that my comic was just a little too close to being an actual New Yorker cartoon.  So I think what I'll do is just go ahead and mail it in to the New Yorker, as they'll probably want to publish it.

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but ladies and gentlemen:

The greatest New Yorker cartoon of all time.

Greg, I hate to break it to you, but the New Yorker folks are real sticklers when it comes to commas. Until you learn to punctuate your "balls" you'll never get to be the next Roz Chast.

Also, if I'm being honest, I think your cartoon is, format-wise, actually a "Family Circus" strip in disguise.
thedeadChris

« Reply #23 on: Aug 05, 2007, 05:01:33 AM »

My pull list:

Tank Girl - The Gifting (mainly for Ashley Wood's art)
100 Bullets (because I dig violent adolescent revenge fantasies apparently... and I'm only missing a few issues)
Hellboy - Darkness Calls
Batman (Grant Morrison is writing, he is my mancrush)
Hellblazer
Gutsville
Casanova

I'm considering picking Black Summer, cos I love Ryp's art and its all going to end badly and that's my kind of story. Might even jump onto Scalped as I've just caught up with that and its so very good and I have no idea how well its selling (why do all the good comics get cancelled?). I enjoyed that first issue of Doktor Sleepless, there were definitely shades of Transmetro in there, and Warren's three issue mini 'Mek'. The whole grinding thing was very similar, as if DS is set in the world before Mek.

About to pick up the first trades of Scalped and Criminal. The second Nextwave hardcover. I should probably start saving my pennies for the second volume of Absolute Sandman. The Extraordinary League of Gentleman Black Dossier might eventually come out soon.. I'm also waiting on the Pirates of Coney Island to finish up so I can get that trade, I find Rick Spears' writing just immensely fun. Which reminds me that I've totally got to jump onto his new series Repo.

I've been enjoying Planet Hulk and now World War Hulk (illegally via scans, muahaha), but I try to stay away from the main body of Marvel and DC for the most part and of course as a mad wanking disciple of internet jesus I hate most superhero comics with all my shriveled black heart and want them all to fail. Civil War bores me, let Hulk kill Tony Stark and bring on the vast Bendis Skrull conspiracy. I don't think it really has that much to say about freedoms vs. security but perhaps since I don't live in the states it doesn't hit very close to home for me. I think DMZ is hitting harder in the political area.

Still plugging away at getting all the trades for the Invisibles, Promethea, Transmetro... various other Ellis, Morrison, Moore things. Think I might start getting some of the Punisher MAX trades, for they are BRUTAL.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2007, 12:18:57 PM »

i've really been enjoying the whole post-civil war thing, even more than i enjoyed the civil war itself. and yeah, bendis's vast skrull conspiracy appears to be the reason. to me, there's just no way that marvel can move on from the whole registration issue and integrate it into the normal lives of their characters. there are elements of creeping fascism that i see in the whole idea of registration--i.e. "you manifest powers, the government drafts you. forever." in part, i'm reading it going "how the hell are they going to get themselves out of the corner they've painted themselves into," but i'm also finding that trying to do so is bringing good writing out of a lot of comic writers that i would read anyway (bendis, fraction, brubaker, brian reed, paul jenkins, even mr. superhero-hater ellis himself) and even from a couple that i've never heard of (can't remember names, but they're writing avengers: the initiative, and new warriors, respectively). i'm keeping up with world war hulk sorta, but more just as an excuse to follow world war hulk frontline, because i really liked paul jenkins's ben urich storyline in civil war frontline, and it's been continued into world war hulk frontline. i read all of the tie-in stories to civil war, but i'm only reading the tie-ins to world war hulk that have so far showed up in the comics i'd normally read anyway. what bothers me about that is that some of them are showing up in comics i'd consider more horror than superhero (ghost rider, moon knight), and i think comics like that should be left to do what they're doing without any reference to a wider "marvel universe".

i do follow a little bit of the main marvel universe at this point, but captain america and spider-man are the only titles i'm really invested in right now. i really liked reginald hudlin's writing on the black panther civil war tie-ins, so i added it to my pull list, but the current "black panther and storm sub for reed and sue in the fantastic four" storyline is leaving me cold to say the least, so if things don't move in a different direction soon, i may drop that title completely.

but yeah, my pull list is way different than yours. specifically, it's over 40 titles a month. i buy a lot more single issues than i do collections, and i'd like to change that, but it's hard to do when doing so would mean waiting 8 months or something to catch back up with what's happening right now. so i probably won't do it, even though buying single issues often means that, when i get a new issue of a comic, i have to go back and read every issue from the beginning of the current story arc on, just to figure out what's going on at that point.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: More Talk of Comics
Jump to: