Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:11:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657772 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: More Talk of Comics  (Read 32756 times)
Almanzo

« Reply #225 on: Mar 22, 2008, 12:34:03 PM »

I've been meaning to post this for a minute, but Scud: The Disposable Assasin #21 is finally out after a 10 year hiatus.

YOU ARE SHITTING ME.

I literally did a real-world, physical, non-metaphorical double-take when I saw it on the shelf.

Sodomize Intolerance
Ah_Pook

« Reply #226 on: Mar 22, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »

oh shiiiiiiiit scud

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Greg Nog

« Reply #227 on: Apr 22, 2008, 07:51:31 AM »

So, comics!  Almanzo likes Scott Pilgrim; neat!

I just read issue one of Jeff Smith's new comic, RASL, and it's pretty great.  It's about an interdimensional art thief, and it's full of some cool-ass action.

I also picked up a Lewis Trondheim collection of his autobio stuff called Little Nothings.  I'm looking forward to that.  Any of you Europeans ever read his stuff?  I'm led to believe he's big in France.
edison

« Reply #228 on: Apr 22, 2008, 07:57:07 AM »

I also picked up a Lewis Trondheim collection of his autobio stuff called Little Nothings.  I'm looking forward to that.  Any of you Europeans ever read his stuff?  I'm led to believe he's big in France.

Yes he is. I believe I've only read some of the Lapinot stuff (aka McConey in English, according to Wikipedia) - I liked it, as far as I can remember. I might have read something autobiographical by him, but I'm not sure anymore. Let us know how it is!
Greg Nog

« Reply #229 on: Apr 22, 2008, 08:07:28 AM »

Will do!  I also really dug his Astronauts Of The Future series that he did with Manu Larcenet.  Though I can't figure out how they divided the labor on that in terms of writing/drawing.
G.C.R

« Reply #230 on: Apr 23, 2008, 02:07:17 AM »

Its Three years since I last did a comic, and I got an E mail from cherry bomb ( cherrybombcomics.co.nz, great store) yesterday saying last month they sold some of my comics to the fucking Hocken Library in Dunedin, and could they please have some more! Yay! its like this work I did that seems like I did back in the misty depths of time still has a life.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #231 on: Apr 23, 2008, 02:15:51 AM »

that is fucking AWESOME.

i know it might bother you to even consider, but could i perchance order some comics from you too? i remember very small excerpts that you posted in the past, and enjoying them. i'd like to check them out in detail. let me know.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
G.C.R

« Reply #232 on: Apr 23, 2008, 02:18:48 AM »

Sure I see what I got. PM me your address or something!

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Almanzo

« Reply #233 on: Apr 23, 2008, 02:29:49 AM »

I'm getting legitimately excited about DC's Final Crisis. Grant Morrison is one of the few legitimate mad scientists at work in this world, and I just know that he's going to come through with some insanity.

Sodomize Intolerance
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #234 on: Apr 23, 2008, 02:40:07 AM »

oh man, i swore to myself that after the disappointment that was countdown and the umpteen 52/countdown spinoff books (read--trying to get me to spend assloads of money for mediocre books by pretending they'd be as awesome as 52 YEAH RIGHT) there was no way i was gonna get final crisis. then i found out that grant morrison is writing it by himself and i just couldn't resist. the sad part is that, because i passed on the million spinoff books and only read the first 10 issues or so of countdown, i will probably have no idea what the fuck is going on, just like when i tried to follow infinite crisis without having read identity crisis (since read--it was actually pretty good), villains united, the rann/thanagar war, and something like 15 other event miniseries. at least this time it'll be by a good writer instead of that loser geoff johns, though. i can't stand that dude.

Almanzo

« Reply #235 on: Apr 23, 2008, 03:26:33 AM »

Yeah, DC seems a little guilty of expecting you to read all of the ancillary series and stuff. I thought it was bad leading up to Infinite Crisis, but it's been terrible with Countdown - there are entire plots and episodes that make zero sense to you if you aren't reading other series. I think that Final Crisis is really going to be a standalone thing, though, esp. with Morrison in control. All of this stuff that's been going on in Countdown is merely the preamble and basic setup, but the whole thing's going to be well and self-contained, I think.

Also, Death of the New Gods has been absolutely embarrassing and terrible, and I'm a huge Starlin fan. What went wrong, Jim!?

Sodomize Intolerance
Antero

« Reply #236 on: Apr 23, 2008, 04:26:44 AM »

I'm getting legitimately excited about DC's Final Crisis. Grant Morrison is one of the few legitimate mad scientists at work in this world, and I just know that he's going to come through with some insanity.
That man is one of the only people who can make the cheesiest parts of the DC canon universe readable and high-quality.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
jebreject

« Reply #237 on: Apr 23, 2008, 10:55:46 AM »

Grace, I know I've told you before, but I want to reiterate: the comic you sent me is fantastic.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #238 on: Apr 23, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »

Also, Death of the New Gods has been absolutely embarrassing and terrible, and I'm a huge Starlin fan. What went wrong, Jim!?

past his prime? i can't even remember the last time i read something jim starlin was involved in. sometime in the early 90s, i would guess. if i bought a series he was involved in now, i'd have no idea what to expect.

Almanzo

« Reply #239 on: Apr 24, 2008, 02:51:48 PM »

I just think I like Marvel Starlin better...all that Infinity bullcrap, the original death of Mar-Vell, even the great Quasar series in the early nineties.

Sodomize Intolerance
andronicus

« Reply #240 on: Apr 25, 2008, 10:38:36 PM »

Man you know like that part of the Wire where McNulty goes to the FBI profilers on his serial killer, and they give him a picture of himself, I've kind of felt like that from a couple of Onstad's Roast Beef strips (roast beef strips!  yum!)  Then I get all, 'man why you even got to say that, so what if a man has to gaze out his peephole 23 minutes before he gets the courage up to leave the apartment why you tellin a man's secr I mean ahahah, that Roast Beef.  I wonder what kind of trouble he's going to get himself in next.

Heather thought the Roast Beef decision making flowchart strip was so apropos she bought me a framed copy which is my apartment's sole decoration.
Good Intentions

« Reply #241 on: Apr 25, 2008, 10:53:04 PM »

I never said I'd be great I mean I never even said I'd be capable of reading the label of a shampoo bottle without wondering which one of us would die first.
citrus

« Reply #242 on: Apr 25, 2008, 10:55:18 PM »

I never said I'd be great I mean I never even said I'd be capable of reading the label of a shampoo bottle without wondering which one of us would die first.

i'm sorry i didn't pay attention to the movie and kept reaching back and feeling my kidneys

i give thee the first suggestion, the problem and indirection
Good Intentions

« Reply #243 on: Apr 25, 2008, 11:01:45 PM »

In all honesty, this strip is pretty much a perfect description of what being depressed means.
Augo

« Reply #244 on: Apr 25, 2008, 11:04:31 PM »

I'm Sorry I Said "Ta-Da!" When I Jumped Out Of The Shower After Whining About Having An Embolism All Day I Know I'm A Rollercoaster.

Gonococcus Bear pays a visit!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #245 on: Apr 26, 2008, 10:08:42 AM »

Renal failure gonna GETCHA Roast Beef the cat!

think 'on the road.'
citrus

« Reply #246 on: Apr 26, 2008, 01:55:01 PM »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10222002 I had this on my door for awhile. I always have the urge to say godDAMMIT what am I going to do about my problems when i'm being whiny.

Man you know like that part of the Wire where McNulty goes to the FBI profilers on his serial killer, and they give him a picture of himself, I've kind of felt like that from a couple of Onstad's Roast Beef strips

agreed.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #247 on: Apr 26, 2008, 03:19:41 PM »

the "WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE" t-shirt is amazing. i believe onstad sells those in his online store. i've considered buying one.

citrus

« Reply #248 on: Apr 29, 2008, 02:06:06 PM »

i'm sorry that i played it huffy on the phone

it's just that society did my nerves up wretched

elpollodiablo

« Reply #249 on: Apr 29, 2008, 03:18:03 PM »

I just reread the entire Great Outdoor Fight sequence, and man... Best webcomic ever, one of the best comics ever. Onstad stumbles occasionally, or just doesn't quite bring the funny every strip, but I love it as a text that's a complete world unto itself. Very character driven, genuinely innovative and creative stuff.

I dunno why I feel the need to sing Achewood's praises in here, really, but there it is.

think 'on the road.'
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: More Talk of Comics
Jump to: