Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 02, 2014, 03:04:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657942 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 83 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Print
Author Topic: More Talk of Comics  (Read 32887 times)
Thermofusion

« Reply #400 on: Jul 17, 2008, 08:04:11 PM »

THAT IS HOW THE INTERNET WORKS

triple paisley minimum
Babar

« Reply #401 on: Jul 17, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »

Or arging with our nemeses. (nemesises?)

nemesae

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
coldforge

« Reply #402 on: Jul 17, 2008, 08:23:59 PM »

Not true. Don't pollute the waters.

č l'era del terzo mondo.
Babar

« Reply #403 on: Jul 17, 2008, 08:26:11 PM »

it's a joke, codforce, my favorite joke from the dvd audio commentaries of futurama.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #404 on: Jul 17, 2008, 11:24:32 PM »

I sorta want to respond to some stuff Almanzo said, but I think I'm just gonna let it drop. He and I have both voiced our opinions on the subject, we obviously disagree... no point in fighting any more about it.

Almanzo, in case it wasn't clear--as much as you get on my nerves sometimes, I think you're a decent guy underneath it all. I just wish you'd show that side more, and the obnoxious side less.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #405 on: Jul 18, 2008, 01:22:34 AM »

CMON PEOPLENOW

SMILE ON YER BORHTER

EVERYBODY GET TOGETHER

TRYTA LOVE ONEANOTHER RIGHT NOW

think 'on the road.'
Almanzo

« Reply #406 on: Jul 18, 2008, 01:27:05 AM »

I sorta want to respond to some stuff Almanzo said, but I think I'm just gonna let it drop. He and I have both voiced our opinions on the subject, we obviously disagree... no point in fighting any more about it.

Almanzo, in case it wasn't clear--as much as you get on my nerves sometimes, I think you're a decent guy underneath it all. I just wish you'd show that side more, and the obnoxious side less.

Ok, will make a decent good-faith effort. Seriously.  Heart

Sodomize Intolerance
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #407 on: Jul 18, 2008, 02:56:35 AM »

God, you fuckers made the comic thread all emo.

Jesus.
Nick Ink

« Reply #408 on: Jul 18, 2008, 03:13:16 AM »

About opinions - it's different. It's more like...kind of impossible to articulate, but I kind of think that if someone has an opinion, it should be what they believe is objectively true. I mean, frankly, an opinion isn't worth having if you don't actually..uhh...have it. I don't mean that this should be used an an excuse for being an asshole to other people, which I can be guilty of doing, but rather than it should be a true, legit, passionate conviction, no matter how pointless or important it is. Frankly, anything else isn't really an opinion. It always confuses me when I meet people that are overly namby-pamby about their opinions, feeling the need to offer up a thousand caveats "uhh, that's just what I think, though" or "that's just, like, my opinion...sorry" with their opinions. An opinion should be something you'll defend to the DEATH!

This is how I felt when I was younger but is absolutely the opposite of what I believe now. I think people's inability to see that their opinions are almost all socially-conferred and/or applicable to and a product of their own specific, subjective reality is really the root of all misunderstanding, prejudice, hostility and conflict. An attitude of righteousness (defending such opinions to the death) might make you feel personally more whole, more vindicated, more consistent with yourself, but will inevitably lead you in ever-decreasing circles of parochialism, narrow-mindedness and intolerance. The fierce, all-or-nothing pride in your opinions that you espouse is similar to the way in which people are increasingly likely to justify rudeness and anti-social behaviour with plaintive cries of 'but that's just who I AM!' But the blinkered, solipsistic entitlement that runs through that 'Nobody will stop me being me' boast is a sad and unhealthy symptom of modern life. Through experience, observation, empathy, humility and self-awareness you should, on the other hand, arrive at the sensible conclusion that your opinions are no more than droplets of piss blown willy-nilly upon the trousers of life by the windy vagaries of circumstance.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #409 on: Jul 18, 2008, 03:34:57 AM »

I actually agree with at least 80% of that.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Nick Ink

« Reply #410 on: Jul 18, 2008, 03:37:43 AM »

I actually agree with at least 80% of that.

And 19% of the remaining 20 probably stems from subconscious cultural conditioning in The American Dream, therapy culture and the importance of individuality and self-improvement.  ;-) (joking)

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
jebreject

« Reply #411 on: Jul 18, 2008, 04:39:53 AM »

Let's talk about our FEELINGS

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
edison

« Reply #412 on: Jul 18, 2008, 05:04:32 AM »

About opinions - it's different. It's more like...kind of impossible to articulate, but I kind of think that if someone has an opinion, it should be what they believe is objectively true. I mean, frankly, an opinion isn't worth having if you don't actually..uhh...have it. I don't mean that this should be used an an excuse for being an asshole to other people, which I can be guilty of doing, but rather than it should be a true, legit, passionate conviction, no matter how pointless or important it is. Frankly, anything else isn't really an opinion. It always confuses me when I meet people that are overly namby-pamby about their opinions, feeling the need to offer up a thousand caveats "uhh, that's just what I think, though" or "that's just, like, my opinion...sorry" with their opinions. An opinion should be something you'll defend to the DEATH!

This is how I felt when I was younger but is absolutely the opposite of what I believe now. I think people's inability to see that their opinions are almost all socially-conferred and/or applicable to and a product of their own specific, subjective reality is really the root of all misunderstanding, prejudice, hostility and conflict. An attitude of righteousness (defending such opinions to the death) might make you feel personally more whole, more vindicated, more consistent with yourself, but will inevitably lead you in ever-decreasing circles of parochialism, narrow-mindedness and intolerance. The fierce, all-or-nothing pride in your opinions that you espouse is similar to the way in which people are increasingly likely to justify rudeness and anti-social behaviour with plaintive cries of 'but that's just who I AM!' But the blinkered, solipsistic entitlement that runs through that 'Nobody will stop me being me' boast is a sad and unhealthy symptom of modern life. Through experience, observation, empathy, humility and self-awareness you should, on the other hand, arrive at the sensible conclusion that your opinions are no more than droplets of piss blown willy-nilly upon the trousers of life by the windy vagaries of circumstance.

That is true, but I believe Almanzo meant more that he couldn't see the point of being exceedingly careful in one's presentation of their opinions, because everybody knows that no opinion can be objectively declared better than another anyway so why bother insisting on that caveat - there's a big difference between saying "My opinion is objectively the only valid one and it is what it is and don't bother saying any different", and "My opinion is what I truly believe and I will defend it to the DEATH".

I don't know, at least that's how I see things, and the reason why I'm not really shocked when Almanzo goes around declaring that this or this sucks, and why I think instead of responding "you asshole troll, how dare you", we should rather actually follow up with discussions on the subject at hand, which has been done in the past and has resulted in pretty interesting threads/arguments, I think.

Don't know if this makes any sense to anyone?
Anne the Man

« Reply #413 on: Jul 18, 2008, 08:53:02 AM »

It's not some social networking love-in where everyone's cool to each other and newcomers until some turdball comes through. I jumped in and started trying to talk about music, etc. when I got here, and was basically ignored...

Yeah I haven't actually heard of that kind of social networking love-in ANYWHERE in life, so I doubt anyone would seriously imply it existed here, of all places. And yes, you get ignored when you first try to join a group. That's how it is with many groups. The only reason it's obvious here is because it's far easier to ignore people over the net. If you went into a dinner party at someone's house at random and started talking about music etc with them (assuming they didn't kick you out) it's safe to say that for awhile at first would ignore you if you could. Would you start throwing plates around and start going "Fuck you for ignoring me!" to try ameliorate the situation? No. Why would it be different here?

Look, I've been in the Newcomer position (obviously). I felt incredibly insignificant and ignored (also stoopid) when I joined here, but I kinda just quietly worked away craftily breaking their resistance down post by post, and now people answer my posts and shit! If I'd got angry--as indeed I often felt--it would've fucked up badly. I just don't get why the fuck you would think trolling is an appropriate answer.
Even if it does lead to interesting conversations.

(I don't know how much sense this makes. I haven't been here much lately to see any Almanzo hate-a-thons.)

I'm not getting the "Defend every opinion you have to the death!!" thing. Personally, I find it exhausting to be around people who follow their likes/beliefs to that extent 24/7, and I don't see why anyone would want to start arguments over pointless things by doing that. Bo-ring.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
hannah

« Reply #414 on: Jul 18, 2008, 03:53:01 PM »

As I've said before I joined LPTJ so I could troll. People'd made fun of my brother and people needed COMEUPPANCE.

I think I hated on the Wrens once and then I felt bad.

Anyhow Almanzo is v. nice in person. If he were over 55, as all my uncles are, I would think of him as avuncular; I guess he is a drunkle but, you know, without the creepiness.
jebreject

« Reply #415 on: Jul 18, 2008, 03:59:51 PM »

saw the trailer for the watchmen movie. man is that gonna suck. of course i'll still go see it on opening day.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #416 on: Jul 18, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »

You're probably right, but there's a lot to like in that trailer for fans of the comic.  I mean, it's obvious he's trying to adapt it as closely as he can.  I don't think it's a work that will translate well to the screen but I liked the trailer if only because it looks like a lot of stuff will make it to the screen that I did not expect.  Also, Dr. Manhattan's clockwork palace on Mars looked amazing.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Babar

« Reply #417 on: Jul 18, 2008, 04:23:33 PM »

i don't see how it's gonna suck by watching that trailer. everything looks great. i always imagined rorschach mask to always be changing shapes constantly though, but that's pretty much the only thing that's not great. but of course, it will most likely not do the book it's justice, but so long as it's good like v for vendetta and not sucky like from hell, i'll be very satisfied.

Thermofusion

« Reply #418 on: Jul 18, 2008, 04:25:09 PM »

The trailer kicks ass, imho.  I'm pleasantly surprised at how faithful the costume and production design looks.

triple paisley minimum
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #419 on: Jul 18, 2008, 04:29:49 PM »

good like v for vendetta
?
good like v for vendetta
??
good like v for vendetta

WTF???

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Babar

« Reply #420 on: Jul 18, 2008, 10:39:04 PM »

pleeeease. it was hella good. not EXACTLY-LIKE-THE-BOOK-PAGE-TO-PAGE-PANEL-TO-PANEL, but very well done nonetheless.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #421 on: Jul 19, 2008, 12:15:47 AM »

It was very much like the book, up until the end, when they changed it so much it made me wonder if they'd read the same book I did.  This is not complete nerd rage, though of course it is partially fueled by nerd rage.  The end in the movie was not just a bit different than the end in the book, it was different enough to change the entire meaning of the story.  And the new meaning was complete bullshit.

jebreject

« Reply #422 on: Jul 19, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »

yeah dude, they totally gutted v for vendetta, took all the power out of it

the book has a lot of interesting things to say about anarchy and fascism and the film was just an anti-bush polemic

Wally

« Reply #423 on: Jul 19, 2008, 08:47:26 AM »

I'm glad you're back onto comics.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
Babar

« Reply #424 on: Jul 19, 2008, 01:14:09 PM »

yeah dude, they totally gutted v for vendetta, took all the power out of it

the book has a lot of interesting things to say about anarchy and fascism and the film was just an anti-bush polemic

but the film format is different from the comic book format. like for one, v for vendetta had to be shortened quite a bit and a lot of second-characters got cut from the movie. i think people should just look at the movie as it's own entity. imagine there were no comic book, would you still think it was a bad movie? really?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: More Talk of Comics
Jump to: